BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

ohhoney

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby ohhoney » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:18 am

guys. GUYS. The Barbri ~motivational~ quote for today!!!!!!!!! :lol:

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:21 am

ohhoney wrote:guys. GUYS. The Barbri ~motivational~ quote for today!!!!!!!!! :lol:

oh ffs. :lol:

jamescastle

Postby jamescastle » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:28 am

ohhoney wrote:guys. GUYS. The Barbri ~motivational~ quote for today!!!!!!!!! :lol:

lmfao

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:38 am

Are the barbri essays harder than the real essays? Or does that vary by state?

Seems like no matter how comfortable I feel about a topic, I can't write a decent essay.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:05 am

3|ink wrote:Are the barbri essays harder than the real essays? Or does that vary by state?

Seems like no matter how comfortable I feel about a topic, I can't write a decent essay.

For CA at least, the Barbri essays are actual past bar essays.

old_soul

Postby old_soul » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:46 am

A few days ago, we had the second Essay workshop for Barbri. Thought it was helpful for the MBE-essay subjects. I can't imagine why they don't do something like that for the state-specific topics.

DesperadoOfColumbia

Postby DesperadoOfColumbia » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:12 am

BVest wrote:That Property MPQ 5: WTF? There's no way any of the real MBE property questions are as difficult as the easiest of that set.

I got like 6 of them right, I could've gotten a better score if I just did it drunk, but MPQs are all over the way hard so don't kill yourself over it.

Also I'm doing like 45-50% on MBE stuff (except for crim, I'm fucking great at crim I guess). Had a total breakdown but one of the junior attorneys at my firm emailed me to tell me that that's really pretty normal and just calm my god damn jets.

And what i with the essays? I get a score, then little boxes in PDF format, but there's no way to read the comments. Also 2 of my essays have n't been graded yet.

kmp127

Postby kmp127 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:00 am

jamescastle wrote:

lmfao

oh now i feel like a winner. i wonder if there's a scrooge mcduck vault out there with all the barbri money that someone swims in

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:32 am

Tomorrow's is from Bill Cosby.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:01 am

Anybody else have trouble occasionally (maybe once or twice on the Simulated MBE) with the questions that ask "If X is found liable/not liable for Y, it is most likely because:"

Every once in a while I screw up because I'm not sure if the party can actually prove the defense/element. For example, on the MBE:

I missed the hockey criminal law question because I (rather wrongly) assumed that Defendant could actually prove that there was consent to that sort of contact.
However, I also missed the torts question about the doctor and the seizure patient because I thought "there's no way that it isn't foreseeable that taking a patient off seizure medication could cause an accident while driving."

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:03 am

The Barbri percentiles are up for the simulated MBE. But they are definitely not perfect. For Civil Procedure on the topic of subject matter jurisdiction i got "4/4 100%" on the questions which puts me in the "43rd percentile." Huh?

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:24 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:

Tomorrow's is from Bill Cosby.

Then Subway Jared. He's already in Franzese's Property notes.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:32 am

Anyone else getting dangerously close to burning out? Just looking at my notes makes me sick and I've got 2 weeks to go...

Ludacrispat26

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:13 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:The Barbri percentiles are up for the simulated MBE. But they are definitely not perfect. For Civil Procedure on the topic of subject matter jurisdiction i got "4/4 100%" on the questions which puts me in the "43rd percentile." Huh?

When many people get 4/4, it is possible to get 4/4 and be in the 43%. That's how statistics work. It just means you beat 57% of people.

Remember, you got 4/4. You couldn't have possibly done better. That's all that matters.

bstefans1

Postby bstefans1 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:54 am

People should really think about and consider the subjectivity that goes into grading the essays. Two essays can literally be the exact same and receive different scores depending on the grader and how they view things. This is why the MBE is so important. If you score well on the MBE and really have those rules down, it not only basically guarantees you pass (subject to you not being a complete idiot and getting no credit on the MPT or Essays), but it also transfers over to the essay section a lot more than the other way around.

Even if you don't know your state distinctions, you still get massive points for spotting the issue, stating the MBE rule, and applying the facts.

I've barely looked at the essays and don't plan to until sometime next week (except for the ones we had to send in for grading).

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:14 pm

Ludacrispat26 wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:The Barbri percentiles are up for the simulated MBE. But they are definitely not perfect. For Civil Procedure on the topic of subject matter jurisdiction i got "4/4 100%" on the questions which puts me in the "43rd percentile." Huh?

When many people get 4/4, it is possible to get 4/4 and be in the 43%. That's how statistics work. It just means you beat 57% of people.

Remember, you got 4/4. You couldn't have possibly done better. That's all that matters.

I hear you, but their color coding system marks several areas as ones I need to focus on and these are areas where I got 100% of the questions correct...but a lot of other people did to. So thats a flaw in the system.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:19 pm

bstefans1 wrote:People should really think about and consider the subjectivity that goes into grading the essays. Two essays can literally be the exact same and receive different scores depending on the grader and how they view things. This is why the MBE is so important. If you score well on the MBE and really have those rules down, it not only basically guarantees you pass (subject to you not being a complete idiot and getting no credit on the MPT or Essays), but it also transfers over to the essay section a lot more than the other way around.

Even if you don't know your state distinctions, you still get massive points for spotting the issue, stating the MBE rule, and applying the facts.

I've barely looked at the essays and don't plan to until sometime next week (except for the ones we had to send in for grading).

Someone at my firm passed the NY bar by only studying for the MBE. He said he literally knew nothing about state distinctions. This takes balls but seems very crazy to me given that in NY 50% of the grade is NY essays and MC, and the essays in certain topics (wills, trusts, secured) have little or nothing to do with MBE subjects and it can be tough to come up with a rule that even approximates the law. I'm focusing on NY subjects and I am also outlining administrative law because i have a feeling it will come up in an essay this year.

Notmyfavbar

Postby Notmyfavbar » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:42 pm

charlesxavier wrote:Anybody else have trouble occasionally (maybe once or twice on the Simulated MBE) with the questions that ask "If X is found liable/not liable for Y, it is most likely because:"

Every once in a while I screw up because I'm not sure if the party can actually prove the defense/element. For example, on the MBE:

I missed the hockey criminal law question because I (rather wrongly) assumed that Defendant could actually prove that there was consent to that sort of contact.
However, I also missed the torts question about the doctor and the seizure patient because I thought "there's no way that it isn't foreseeable that taking a patient off seizure medication could cause an accident while driving."

Missed that same torts question, got pissed and I still don't understand how to properly approach questions like that. It's a total mind fuck for me.

Devlin

Postby Devlin » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:45 pm

#owntheracism.

Notmyfavbar

Postby Notmyfavbar » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:46 pm

mr.hands wrote:Anyone else getting dangerously close to burning out? Just looking at my notes makes me sick and I've got 2 weeks to go...

def burned out thursday. It was weird because I felt like I was dehydrated and lightheaded all day. Really thought I was going to go to the ER that night. Ended up napping for 3 hours thursday. Slept in Friday. Tried to work on Friday but was going so freaking slow. My brain wouldn't grasp anything, not even the stuff I was reviewing. Today's the first day that I feel decent enough to keep going. Feel like I've wasted so much time but honestly, the catching up on sleep helped so much. I guess I'd rather burn out now than in the middle of the next two weeks.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:04 pm

mr.hands wrote:Anyone else getting dangerously close to burning out? Just looking at my notes makes me sick and I've got 2 weeks to go...

Let's put it this way: My PSP says "Review Torts" and then "Complete Torts MPQ Set 5"

I spent two hours reviewing torts and then did CONTRACTS MPQ Set 5. I didn't even realize it until I finished grading it.

Neff

Postby Neff » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:51 pm

I think I'm pretty burned out too. Did absolutely nothing yesterday and I feel like I just don't give an eff any more. Most of that is due to knowing that the odds of failing are so low now given the effort I've already put in, and that small possibility just isn't enough to motivate me any more. Hope I don't get punished.

BVest

Postby BVest » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:54 pm

Ludacrispat26 wrote:

Actually, it means you beat just 43% of people. Percentiles are not like class ranking... you want to put up a high number.

And Hutz, I agree it's odd. I was initially concerned about my Civ Pro when they posted the percentiles, but it it goes to show how much easier Barbri's civ pro questions are than all their other subjects.

BVest

Postby BVest » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:00 pm

Texas Folk: I have a question about the B&A Essay 22 Model Answer.

[+] Spoiler
I thought partners could limit or even eliminate the duties of Care and Good Faith, but not the duty of loyalty. Was I mistaken? The model answer says all of clause (i) was invalid because partners cannot eliminate any of those duties.

Otherwise I felt pretty good about that one. I didn't mention the control factors in part 2, and I said that Courtney may have been liable in part 3 if the trier of fact found that she was negligent in her supervision of Jen -- which the model answer specifically says is wrong.

ETA: Found the answer finally in the outline (it was with lawsuits rather than with duties). I was not mistaken but the model answer appears to have been, just FYI.

Barbro

Postby Barbro » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:52 pm

DesperadoOfColumbia wrote:
BVest wrote:That Property MPQ 5: WTF? There's no way any of the real MBE property questions are as difficult as the easiest of that set.

I got like 6 of them right, I could've gotten a better score if I just did it drunk, but MPQs are all over the way hard so don't kill yourself over it.

Also I'm doing like 45-50% on MBE stuff (except for crim, I'm fucking great at crim I guess). Had a total breakdown but one of the junior attorneys at my firm emailed me to tell me that that's really pretty normal and just calm my god damn jets.

And what i with the essays? I get a score, then little boxes in PDF format, but there's no way to read the comments. Also 2 of my essays have n't been graded yet.

Got a solid 6/18 on that one. I think Barbri has to be fucking with us at this point.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”