BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Neff

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Neff » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:29 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
It doesn't make any damn sense to me that I need to be median to pass in a state where 70+% percent pass, but...I'm not the one scoring this shit.

My only explanation for that would be that Oregon test-takers perform better than the national average, so even with a tougher passing percentage, >50% of people pass it. Because I believe it's "scaled" nationally, not state-by-state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCCrhvT3Af4

Yes, this is the reason why my claims are off. I'm also not taking into account the fact that in some places you might have lots of "splitters," people who do really well in MBE but really poorly in essays or vice versa. But I'm not sure if that matters.

But wait... guess what, my deeper statistical analysis has just confirmed that everyone in this thread will pass.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:29 pm

Neff wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
It doesn't make any damn sense to me that I need to be median to pass in a state where 70+% percent pass, but...I'm not the one scoring this shit.

My only explanation for that would be that Oregon test-takers perform better than the national average, so even with a tougher passing percentage, >50% of people pass it. Because I believe it's "scaled" nationally, not state-by-state.

Yes, this is the reason why my claims are off. I'm also not taking into account the fact that in some places you might have lots of "splitters," people who do really well in MBE but really poorly in essays or vice versa. But I'm not sure if that matters.

But wait... guess what, my deeper statistical analysis has just confirmed that everyone in this thread will pass.

I like you

Neff

Postby Neff » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:30 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
Neff wrote:If you got about 115 on the Barbri midterm, you are 50th percentile. Some simple algebra reveals the following facts:

In a 50% MBE state, if you score 50th percentile or more on the MBE, you are guaranteed to pass even if you left all the essays blank*.
In a 40% MBE state, if you score 50th percentile, you are guaranteed to pass if you score higher than the bottom 8.3% in state subjects*.
In a 40% MBE state, if you are 60th percentile, you are guaranteed to pass if you score higher than the bottom 1.6% in state subjects*.

Hopefully this helps put things in perspective.

(*Assuming a 75% overall pass rate.)

Just curious, where did this 115 = 50th percentile come from?

This is what Barbri says. They tell you last year's percentiles and where you stand with your score this year.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:37 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Huh, maybe that does explain it. I wouldn't have thought Oregon's test-takers were anything special with three fairly mediocre law schools accounting for the vast majority of grads, but there are also no complete dumpster fire schools dragging down the mean either.

I kind of can't stand Zoey Deschanel. She's the worst part of New Girl. :P
Piz on Veronica Mars was from Beaverton, Oregon, which is my suburb. Probably the first, last, and only time Beaverton has been mentioned in pop culture.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:57 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Huh, maybe that does explain it. I wouldn't have thought Oregon's test-takers were anything special with three fairly mediocre law schools accounting for the vast majority of grads, but there are also no complete dumpster fire schools dragging down the mean either.

I kind of can't stand Zoey Deschanel. She's the worst part of New Girl. :P
Piz on Veronica Mars was from Beaverton, Oregon, which is my suburb. Probably the first, last, and only time Beaverton has been mentioned in pop culture.

Hahah. That's funny. I've never heard of that character, but I definitely googled who that was and found an awesome quote: "Portland. Or, well, just outside of Portland: this little suburb called Beaverton. Real salt-of-the earth people, you know. Minivan in every driveway. Chicken in every pot."

I'm from Seattle (taking the WA bar), and I thought our pass rates would be pretty high because everyone's always babbling about how smart the Northwest is. But the Feb 2015 pass rate for first timers was only 70% - with a 270 minimum...pretty low. Granted that's the lowest it's ever been since they started doing the UBE in July 2013.

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:58 pm

So, I've skipped ahead (I'm frantically jumping around the PSP because I just don't even know anymore) and I think that the MPQ Set6s might actually be similar to the real thing. I wonder if this is some ploy by BarBri to boost confidence before the test.

They have shorter fact patterns and don't seem to depend on obscure details.

Who knows. Maybe I've learned a lot since Set 5s but I don't think so.

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:15 am

So, is BarBri's multiple choice formula some sort of deranged form of altitude training?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:19 am

Good Guy Gaud wrote:So, is BarBri's multiple choice formula some sort of deranged form of altitude training?

Convince us we need to train for a marathon up Pike's Peak and then on test day LOLJK, it's a 5k on the Lakeshore Trail. Diabolical.

I would be ok with that.

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:21 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:So, is BarBri's multiple choice formula some sort of deranged form of altitude training?

Convince us we need to train for a marathon up Pike's Peak and then on test day LOLJK, it's a 5k on the Lakeshore Trail. Diabolical.

I would be ok with that.

:lol:

Neff

Postby Neff » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:23 am

rinkrat19 wrote:

I would be ok with that.

Well put. I'm glad we have this all figured out now. :D :D :D

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:59 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Does anyone else sometimes get tripped up by the people in the MBE questions and have to go back and sort out who the woman, neighbor, sister, farmer, buyer, etc. are? I don't know if giving them all names would be better or worse.

In all MBE Qs I always circle the first mention of every individual. Similarly, I'll draw rectangles around dates, particularly for property and contracts fact patterns. Seems to help when quickly glancing back at the facts as needed.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:01 am

Has anyone done the Property section of Emanuel's? It's killing me. I suck at property, but I'm doing worse on these than the BarBri ones... :shock:

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:21 am

RaleighStClair wrote:Has anyone done the Property section of Emanuel's? It's killing me. I suck at property, but I'm doing worse on these than the BarBri ones... :shock:

I've been staring at the strategies section on and off all day while doing other things. A torts essay, reading outlines, grocery shopping, feeding my cat popsicles...literally anything to avoid diving in.

I fucking hate property so much (not great at contracts either). My best subjects by several orders of magnitude are evidence and crim/crim pro, which is good seeing as how I'm gonna be a prosecutor.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:44 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:Has anyone done the Property section of Emanuel's? It's killing me. I suck at property, but I'm doing worse on these than the BarBri ones... :shock:

I've been staring at the strategies section on and off all day while doing other things. A torts essay, reading outlines, grocery shopping, feeding my cat popsicles...literally anything to avoid diving in.

I fucking hate property so much (not great at contracts either). My best subjects by several orders of magnitude are evidence and crim/crim pro, which is good seeing as how I'm gonna be a prosecutor.

Word. Going the prosecutor route as well. I mean, if I can figure out how the rule against perpetuities applies to a vested remainder subject to open.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:46 am

Neff wrote:This is what Barbri says. They tell you last year's percentiles and where you stand with your score this year.

I did the full day MBE but the percentile is still TBD. I do see where it says average was 114 raw last year. My concern is if by last year, they meant pre-civ pro. Then last year's raw to percentile wouldn't mean much unless we are to assume people generally score close to their average on civ pro as well, which I suppose is not a terrible assumption.

jamescastle

Postby jamescastle » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:19 am

I feel that Civ Pro is the easiest subject in BARBRI's questions. Dunno if the percentile numbers back that up or not though.
So I would expect people to do a bit better on Civ Pro than their otherwise overall average and thus the raw score to actually be a little higher with Civ Pro factored in.
Don't have any numbers to back this up though haha.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:23 am

I actually did well on the property in Emmanuel (80%). And it was easily my worst subject on the simulated exam. It may have been that I did those Emmanuel questions right after actually doing the studying for property. Brain space may not be at capacity at this point. No RAP in PA though! Probably one of the best things PA legislature has ever done.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:24 am

jamescastle wrote:I feel that Civ Pro is the easiest subject in BARBRI's questions. Dunno if the percentile numbers back that up or not though.
So I would expect people to do a bit better on Civ Pro than their otherwise overall average and thus the raw score to actually be a little higher with Civ Pro factored in.
Don't have any numbers to back this up though haha.

Agreed. But Barbri probably hasn't had sufficient time to craft exceedingly complex civ pro questions yet (or didn't feel like exhausting such effort yet).

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:46 am

Did anyone do MPQ Mixed Subject Set 3 yet and found it was absurdly easy compared to the regular MPQ sets and the Simulated MBE? Just getting frustrated with the inconsistency in difficulty of questions Barbri gives.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:45 am

dwyf wrote:I'm trying to plan my next 18 days and 10 hours (thanks seperac clock, I hate you).

Anyone know how many NY lectures there are in total?

I believe these have been assigned:
ny practice (3)
partnership/agency
admin
corporations (2)
PR
secured transactions
trusts
wills (2)
conflict of laws

How many more to come?
domestic relations is tomorrow.

Are any of them less than 3 hours?

I'd skip the domestic relations lecture and read the Conviser instead.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:48 am

Birdnals wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:1. Are the MBE workshops worth watching?

Yeah, I think so, there are good mini-reviews on tested topics. I found it helpful.

Good to know, thanks.

dwyf

Postby dwyf » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:24 am

myrtlewinston wrote:
dwyf wrote:I'm trying to plan my next 18 days and 10 hours (thanks seperac clock, I hate you).

ny practice (3)
partnership/agency
admin
corporations (2)
PR
secured transactions
trusts
wills (2)
conflict of laws

How many more to come?

Thanks, will do. Are there any other topics? Or is that all of the NY lectures?

Any idea what they are going to be assigning over the next two weeks?

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:05 am

dwyf wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:

ny practice (3)
partnership/agency
admin
corporations (2)
PR
secured transactions
trusts
wills (2)
conflict of laws

How many more to come?

Thanks, will do. Are there any other topics? Or is that all of the NY lectures?

Any idea what they are going to be assigning over the next two weeks?

That's it for NY.
I don't know as I haven't looked at the PSP in a long time. Perhaps I suffer from insane delusions, but Barbri messes with my head.

dwyf

Postby dwyf » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:30 am

myrtlewinston wrote:I don't know as I haven't looked at the PSP in a long time. Perhaps I suffer from insane delusions, but Barbri messes with my head.

I suffer from voluntary intoxication on a near nightly basis in order to escape this garbage.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:45 am

I feel like with the essays there are certain questions I could pass tomorrow. However, there are other questions that I'm not sure I'll be prepared for in 3 weeks.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”