BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

old_soul

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby old_soul » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:56 am

RaleighStClair wrote:Just did Mixed Set 2 and got 78% after getting 58% on the Midterm Full 200.

I haven't even really done a whole lot of MBE work since then, so I don't know WTF the difference was. I still felt supremely lost during the whole 50 question set. It's this that scares me.

I think the point is to keep doing problems which will hone your understanding of the law or question on an instinctual level. I'm sorry, it's impossible to always know why ALL answer choices are wrong in a given problem.

InTheWideLand I Walk

Postby InTheWideLand I Walk » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:08 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
kykiske wrote:About three weeks until exam day. I've been hitting the MBE questions pretty hard, but have neglected the essays. I've maybe written 10 essays total. Haven't even touched some of the subjects. Going to hit the essays hard starting tomorrow. Shooting for 6-7 essays per day.

I've only done about 8 essays total. All of the graded ones and 3-4 ungraded on my own. I'm going to start doing essays every day after the simulated MBE tomorrow. I don't think its that useful to do essays without having memorized the rules.

interesting comment u made about the usefulness of doing essays without memorizing the rules. To take it a step further, I wonder whether typing out a full essay for grading actually does anything whatsoever besides telling you where you stand, EVEN if you have memorized the rules.

Im doing self-study and paying someone to grade my essays on a per essay basis, so I think about this a lot. From my point of view, I cant waste any of these essays unless its a full fledged effort or else I cant truly see where I stand.

pizzasodafries

Postby pizzasodafries » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:19 pm

Posted this in another thread here, figured might as well post it in the Barbri thread. If anyone has any questions, shoot away!

Hey y'all, just thought I would chime in with my experiences from taking (and passing) the NY bar last July.

At about this time last year, I was seriously procrastinating with my Barbri prepping. I would watch the videos at 2.0 speed, fill in the outlines, but barely re read the outlines, and had done almost zero essay prepping. I submitted only one essay to Barbri to grade and it felt like I was totally out of the loop on that.

Then in early July, about this time, I started to really buckle down and do like 50 Multiple choice questions a day. I started going over the outlines more and more. I didn't start reading the previous essays until like 3 weeks before the exam. My main advice to give to you all is to NOT read the essay answers that Barbri has experts write up; they are not even close to what you need to emulate on test day. Just learn the rules and you will be fine on exam day when you have to fart out the essays real quick.

I did not practice writing too many essays, I just read like 6 a day in the week or two before the exam. I would read the essays, quickly visualize what my answer would be and then read the student answers. That way I quickly was able to learn what was needed on the exam.

When we had MBE prep test in Javits center in early July I got like a 100, on test day I got a 158, and that is after I thought i did terribly on MBE.

Good luck you all, and if you are not up to snuff at this point with what your bar prep is telling you to be at, don't worry, this final month is really what matters most.

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:33 pm

pizzasodafries wrote:Posted this in another thread here, figured might as well post it in the Barbri thread. If anyone has any questions, shoot away!

Hey y'all, just thought I would chime in with my experiences from taking (and passing) the NY bar last July.

At about this time last year, I was seriously procrastinating with my Barbri prepping. I would watch the videos at 2.0 speed, fill in the outlines, but barely re read the outlines, and had done almost zero essay prepping. I submitted only one essay to Barbri to grade and it felt like I was totally out of the loop on that.

Then in early July, about this time, I started to really buckle down and do like 50 Multiple choice questions a day. I started going over the outlines more and more. I didn't start reading the previous essays until like 3 weeks before the exam. My main advice to give to you all is to NOT read the essay answers that Barbri has experts write up; they are not even close to what you need to emulate on test day. Just learn the rules and you will be fine on exam day when you have to fart out the essays real quick.

I did not practice writing too many essays, I just read like 6 a day in the week or two before the exam. I would read the essays, quickly visualize what my answer would be and then read the student answers. That way I quickly was able to learn what was needed on the exam.

When we had MBE prep test in Javits center in early July I got like a 100, on test day I got a 158, and that is after I thought i did terribly on MBE.

Good luck you all, and if you are not up to snuff at this point with what your bar prep is telling you to be at, don't worry, this final month is really what matters most.

Thanks! I really needed to hear that right about now.

diowad

Postby diowad » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:38 pm

pizzasodafries wrote:Posted this in another thread here, figured might as well post it in the Barbri thread. If anyone has any questions, shoot away!

This part makes me feel a bit better (*cough* 104/200 *cough*)

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Man. The simulated test is brutal. Halfway done.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:05 pm

3|ink wrote:Man. The simulated test is brutal. Halfway done.

Harder than the mixed question sets?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:12 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
3|ink wrote:Man. The simulated test is brutal. Halfway done.

Harder than the mixed question sets?

I would say so.

pizzasodafries

Postby pizzasodafries » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:21 pm

diowad wrote:

This part makes me feel a bit better (*cough* 104/200 *cough*)

And my 100 was probably with a little cheating. I think I went over the allotted time by like 10 mins (I justified that to myself because I said that there were so many noises made during the fake test, that I could go a little over!)

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:43 pm

Picked up the LeanSheets outlines. They basically condense topics (in state-specific manner) to 2-3 page outlines. $50 or so but pretty damn clutch.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:45 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:Picked up the LeanSheets outlines. They basically condense topics (in state-specific manner) to 2-3 page outlines. $50 or so but pretty damn clutch.

Are your leansheets state specific? I picked them up for PA and they dont seem to be tailored specifically to PA?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:46 pm

Kage3212 wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:Picked up the LeanSheets outlines. They basically condense topics (in state-specific manner) to 2-3 page outlines. $50 or so but pretty damn clutch.

Are your leansheets state specific? I picked them up for PA and they dont seem to be tailored specifically to PA?

The NY one is definitely NY specific. Distinctions are in red. Was only $32 for me after getting code from their FB page

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:48 pm

I'll take DangerZone's word for it. AZ is MBE/MEE/MPT state so tough to say here because there's not really any variations.

When you select the outline you'd like to purchase you have to choose the state you're taking the Bar in so I'm assuming it is.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:09 pm

Ya, I selected PA and all that. I just emailed them so we will see what they say.

BTW, with regard to the mini-review lecture video, I thought conlaw was pretty helpful and presenting things in a streamlined and straight forward fashion. Def. worth the hour watching it. Crim was not as worthwhile. In fact, the crim video may have just confused me more.

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:22 pm

Kage3212 wrote:BTW, with regard to the mini-review lecture video, I thought conlaw was pretty helpful and presenting things in a streamlined and straight forward fashion. Def. worth the hour watching it. Crim was not as worthwhile. In fact, the crim video may have just confused me more.

Figures it would be one of those things.

DesperadoOfColumbia

Postby DesperadoOfColumbia » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:31 pm

InTheWideLand I Walk wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
kykiske wrote:About three weeks until exam day. I've been hitting the MBE questions pretty hard, but have neglected the essays. I've maybe written 10 essays total. Haven't even touched some of the subjects. Going to hit the essays hard starting tomorrow. Shooting for 6-7 essays per day.

I've only done about 8 essays total. All of the graded ones and 3-4 ungraded on my own. I'm going to start doing essays every day after the simulated MBE tomorrow. I don't think its that useful to do essays without having memorized the rules.

interesting comment u made about the usefulness of doing essays without memorizing the rules. To take it a step further, I wonder whether typing out a full essay for grading actually does anything whatsoever besides telling you where you stand, EVEN if you have memorized the rules.

Im doing self-study and paying someone to grade my essays on a per essay basis, so I think about this a lot. From my point of view, I cant waste any of these essays unless its a full fledged effort or else I cant truly see where I stand.

Well, for whatever it's worth, barbri essay grading just scores you and points out what you got, but at least for me it didn't tell me what I didn't get.

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:51 pm

Hmm, so you think its not such a big deal that on the essays, I'll say list 2 out of 3 elements of a rule most of the time, or something like that? THats been really bugging me.

pizzasodafries

Postby pizzasodafries » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:26 pm

victortsoi wrote:

Hmm, so you think its not such a big deal that on the essays, I'll say list 2 out of 3 elements of a rule most of the time, or something like that? THats been really bugging me.

Here is what I can tell you about that. First off stop thinking you have to list all 100 elements of all the questions in the essays. Obviously try remembering as many elements of the rules prior to exam, but in the event you forget the exact elements and you know your missing one, MAKE up a reasonable sounding element in your rule statement and apply it in your analyses. You will still receive points for your application.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:07 pm

132/200 on the simulated MBE. I would have felt good if I hadn't looked at the breakdown. Somehow I missed over half of the Crim Law/Pro questions--it was my best MPQ subject.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:12 pm

125/200

Fuck

plurilingue

Postby plurilingue » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:13 pm

I haven't studied that much this summer (a few hours a day, five days a week; started a few weeks late; only done 25% of the class so far) and got 120/200 on the simulated MBE. I've listened to all the MBE lectures at 2x speed and filled out the handouts (except Torts, for which there wasn't any ugh), but I haven't done much state-related stuff. (Just NY Practice and a bit of Corps/Trusts.) Needless to say, I haven't done any essays yet. Should I move on from the MBE (after reviewing what I got wrong) b/c this score is good to go, or should I continue dedicating 50% of my time to the MBE and the rest to state stuff? I never took any other bar-related classes (Evidence, Trusts/Estates/Wills, etc.), but I did graduate CCN approx top 10-20%, had a high LSAT, etc. Any advice appreciated.
Last edited by plurilingue on Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Good Guy Gaud

Postby Good Guy Gaud » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:15 pm

3|ink wrote:125/200

Fuck

I think that's passing in most jurisdictions. I remember they gave some crazy explanation like a 126 equates to a 143 or something which is a solid score.

The practice MBE wasn't a real MBE but a BarBri compiled version (I believe)

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:20 pm

plurilingue wrote:I haven't studied that much this summer (a few hours a day, five days a week; started a few weeks late; only done 25% of the class so far) and got 120/200 on the simulated MBE. I've listened to all the MBE lectures at 2x speed and filled out the handouts (except Torts, for which there wasn't any ugh), but I haven't done much state-related stuff. (Just NY Practice and a bit of Corps/Trusts.) Needless to say, I haven't done any essays yet. Should I move on from the MBE (after reviewing what I got wrong) b/c this score is good to go, or should I continue dedicating 50% of my time to the MBE and the rest to state stuff? I never took any other bar-related classes (Evidence, Trusts/Estates/Wills, etc.), but I did graduate CCN approx top 10-20%, had a high LSAT, etc. Any advice appreciated.

I'd shoot for like 20-30 MBE questions a day just to keep it real.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:26 pm

156/200. Not sure how that stacks up, but I'll await the percentages tonight.

lawstudent_87

Postby lawstudent_87 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:28 pm

168/200

Obviously I feel pretty good about that score, I am hoping I can do that well on the actual MBE.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”