BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

dwyf

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby dwyf » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:05 pm

N.P.H. wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
dwyf wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
gmail wrote:What speed do y'all do the lectures at? Usually I do 1.5x, but sometimes I slam a red bull and do 1.75

Always 2

+1

Once I started doing it, I haven't been able to go back. Am toying with going beyond 2. Let's push boundaries together.

If I could do it easily I'd go beyond 2 for sure. All we're really doing is waiting for them to fill in the blanks.

To get past 2x on chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... gocg?hl=en

To get to 2x on android (also lets you shut off your screen while listening): https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... er.a&hl=en

My fucking hero.

eta: I had actually been using firefox instead of my usual chrome because my speed controls weren't working at all on chrome. I'm so happy to be able to bring everything back into one browser.
I had been downloading them to the app, then pulling them onto my desktop to watch them in VLC (so I actually did go beyond 2x a few times, but not for every lecturer.)

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:15 pm

mushybrain wrote:
ash0117 wrote:Also, most helpful part of BARBRI so far = the simulated MBE video lectures, especially for crim law and evidence. So glad I decided to watch them.

Yeah, Guzman's are good. He actually teaches you things about picking the best answers/avoiding common wrong answers, rather than just reading the answers to you.

Srsly? I just reviewed the answers myself. I figured they would be the same as all the other ones. Shonholtz is funny and stuff, but all he does is read the answers from the book.

ash0117

Postby ash0117 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:23 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:
mushybrain wrote:
ash0117 wrote:Also, most helpful part of BARBRI so far = the simulated MBE video lectures, especially for crim law and evidence. So glad I decided to watch them.

Yeah, Guzman's are good. He actually teaches you things about picking the best answers/avoiding common wrong answers, rather than just reading the answers to you.

Srsly? I just reviewed the answers myself. I figured they would be the same as all the other ones. Shonholtz is funny and stuff, but all he does is read the answers from the book.

Shonholtz's aren't great, but he did clarify a few points. Guzman however is a god. He really made it into a full on review rather than just going over the question. And he provides lots of study tips.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:49 pm

Question for NY folks: In the NY trusts lecture (p. 28 of handout), the lecturer says that revocable trusts don't get spendthrift protection. But question 25 in the trusts assessment applies spendthrift protection to a revocable trust. What am I not understanding here? I submitted this question to BarBri and got an incomprehensible response.

mamalova

Postby mamalova » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:05 pm

musicfor18 wrote:Question for NY folks: In the NY trusts lecture (p. 28 of handout), the lecturer says that revocable trusts don't get spendthrift protection. But question 25 in the trusts assessment applies spendthrift protection to a revocable trust. What am I not understanding here? I submitted this question to BarBri and got an incomprehensible response.

My guess:

From the point of view of the trust settlor, there is no spendthrift protection when the trust is revocable.

From the point of view of the trust beneficiaries,there is spendthrift protection even if the trust is revocable

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:10 pm

lostinarkansas wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Anyone consider the Goat book instead of Emanuel? It includes CivPro, which Emanual doesn't, and supposedly included free online access to 1200 more real questions.
http://www.amazon.com/Multistate-Goat-E ... cedure+mbe

I got Emanuel's Strategies & Tactics for the MBE and it included a card with a website/code to go online and do the Civ Pro. Haven't tried it yet though.

oh duh, I remember someone saying that a while back. Thanks for the reminder! Ordered Emanuel.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:11 pm

what was Barbri's answer?
Last edited by myrtlewinston on Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:13 pm

mamalova wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:Question for NY folks: In the NY trusts lecture (p. 28 of handout), the lecturer says that revocable trusts don't get spendthrift protection. But question 25 in the trusts assessment applies spendthrift protection to a revocable trust. What am I not understanding here? I submitted this question to BarBri and got an incomprehensible response.

My guess:

From the point of view of the trust settlor, there is no spendthrift protection when the trust is revocable.

From the point of view of the trust beneficiaries,there is spendthrift protection even if the trust is revocable

But what does that mean? The outline makes it clear that it doesn't depend on whether the settlor has an income interest because the power to revoke is analogous to reserving an income interest. So, does it mean that the settlor's creditors can reach the trust, but not the beneficiary's creditors?

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:26 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:what was Barbri's answer?

This is the response from BarBri: "I think the lecture and outline v. the assessment are addressing two different things. Spendthrift protection cannot exist for revocable trusts to stop creditors from going after the settlor, because public policy dictates that trusts should not be created to allows settlors to avoid their creditors, and therefore spendthrift provisions are unenforceable against the creditors of the settlor if they are going after the settlor. That is why Professor Hernandez would state that spendthrift provisions would not apply to creditors. However, in NY spendthrift trusts apply to revocable trusts to protect the income of the beneficiaries from the settlor's creditors, and so it would apply as stated in the assessment item 25."

I really don't understand this response.

americanphaoah

Postby americanphaoah » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:33 pm

ash0117 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
mushybrain wrote:

Shonholtz's aren't great, but he did clarify a few points. Guzman however is a god. He really made it into a full on review rather than just going over the question. And he provides lots of study tips.

from what i recall, watching anything of/by Guzman is well worth the time. i found him to be the most helpful of all barbri video lecturers.

opting out of watching Guzman = sucker pick.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:51 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:what was Barbri's answer?

This is the response from BarBri: "I think the lecture and outline v. the assessment are addressing two different things. Spendthrift protection cannot exist for revocable trusts to stop creditors from going after the settlor, because public policy dictates that trusts should not be created to allows settlors to avoid their creditors, and therefore spendthrift provisions are unenforceable against the creditors of the settlor if they are going after the settlor. That is why Professor Hernandez would state that spendthrift provisions would not apply to creditors. However, in NY spendthrift trusts apply to revocable trusts to protect the income of the beneficiaries from the settlor's creditors, and so it would apply as stated in the assessment item 25."

I really don't understand this response.

Neither do I. I'll try to figure it out when I'm less tired.

LawGuy321

Postby LawGuy321 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:14 pm

murray18 wrote:
DesperadoOfColumbia wrote:Also, anyone taking a break on the 4th? I'm tempted to but I'm also too anxious to do it I think.

Absolutely. In my opinion, if you don't eat ribs and/or drink Budweiser on the Fourth of July, you shouldn't be allowed to sit for the bar in any American state.

Plus, I'm pretty sure a day or too off is necessary to give you the steam to keep at it right up until the bar (sort of like taking the night off after a law school exam).

Except if you're if you're vegetarian/vegan, in which case seitan skewers are acceptable alternatives to ribs. (Beer is a must for all of course). Heh

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:31 pm

Ugh. So many of these MPQs are just poorly written.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:44 am

Been going back over Wills all night. Realizing the 17 pages here are stuffed to the brim with an incredible amount of information for determining intestacy shares; abatement; lapse statutes; spousal rights. Ugh. Anyone else despising the Wills essay portion in their state?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:46 am

Kage3212 wrote:Been going back over Wills all night. Realizing the 17 pages here are stuffed to the brim with an incredible amount of information for determining intestacy shares; abatement; lapse statutes; spousal rights. Ugh. Anyone else despising the Wills essay portion in their state?

yes. Only lecture I've just kind of moved past after watching it, dreading having to one day return.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:44 am

Hey, for those of you who are using the Emanuel's book: How big of an increase (or decrease) from BarBri's questions have you noticed? I've only done two (48 questions each) sets from Emanuel's, Ks/Sales and Con Law, but I saw huge increases on them. 20% and 13% higher raw - respectively.

I'm wondering if the percentages I'm getting on the Emanuel's questions are actually realistic for the actual MBE. I've heard someone say that they're "actual" MBE questions." And does anyone know how old they are or if they're still really applicable to the most recent exams' questions?

One of the first pages in the book says that "these are actual MBE questions" and many are given from as recently as 2010. I'm wondering how much has changed since then on question difficulty.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:13 am

RaleighStClair wrote:Hey, for those of you who are using the Emanuel's book: How big of an increase (or decrease) from BarBri's questions have you noticed? I've only done two (48 questions each) sets from Emanuel's, Ks/Sales and Con Law, but I saw huge increases on them. 20% and 13% higher raw - respectively.

I'm wondering if the percentages I'm getting on the Emanuel's questions are actually realistic for the actual MBE. I've heard someone say that they're "actual" MBE questions." And does anyone know how old they are or if they're still really applicable to the most recent exams' questions?

One of the first pages in the book says that "these are actual MBE questions" and many are given from as recently as 2010. I'm wondering how much has changed since then on question difficulty.

Barbri Con Law = 63.8% ; Emmanuel's Con Law = 85% So almost a similar increase to your increase in K's. I haven't done all K's section yet in Emmanuel, but for my other sections in Emmanuel, I have noted dramatic increases (same with Adaptibar for the most part).

Not sure about how exactly they will relate to this years bar; but, they are indeed previously administered questions.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:16 am

RaleighStClair wrote:Hey, for those of you who are using the Emanuel's book: How big of an increase (or decrease) from BarBri's questions have you noticed? I've only done two (48 questions each) sets from Emanuel's, Ks/Sales and Con Law, but I saw huge increases on them. 20% and 13% higher raw - respectively.

I had a pretty big increase too. I can't imagine the difficulty is that much different from a few years ago? Who knows

I'm just going to tell myself it's closer to actual MBE questions than barbri.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:56 am

BuckinghamB wrote:
I had a pretty big increase too. I can't imagine the difficulty is that much different from a few years ago? Who knows

I'm just going to tell myself it's closer to actual MBE questions than barbri.

Interesting. It's like, if I took my average percentage right from Emanuel's questions, I would be getting like a 160ish scaled on the MBE. Right now. That just does not seem possible considering my 52nd percentile ranking on the full-day BarBri thing we just did. Or maybe BarBri's questions are just really bad predictors. Probably somewhere in between I guess...

I'm spending way too much time thinking about scores and not enough time actually studying. Ugh.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:10 am

Just FYI, I felt as though the actual MBE questions felt much more like Barbri questions than the emanuel questions in style, wording, etc. I also performed better on Emanuel than on the Barbri questions; however, my final score was somewhere in between.

myrtlewinston

Postby myrtlewinston » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:23 am

Kage3212 wrote:Been going back over Wills all night. Realizing the 17 pages here are stuffed to the brim with an incredible amount of information for determining intestacy shares; abatement; lapse statutes; spousal rights. Ugh. Anyone else despising the Wills essay portion in their state?

17? My lecture handout is 60+ long. :-(

HLBE689

Postby HLBE689 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:31 am

You probably already know this - but I found this a bit heartening to remember when thinking about the stupid Barbri question sets - this is stated by Barbri before it lists the goals for each set:

Remember that your scores on these question sets are raw scores; on the actual MBE, the bar examiners will
add points to your raw score to obtain a scaled score, which is what states use to compute overall passing
grades. The bottom line is that you can miss a lot of questions and still pass the exam.

kmp127

Postby kmp127 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:57 am

HLBE689 wrote:You probably already know this - but I found this a bit heartening to remember when thinking about the stupid Barbri question sets - this is stated by Barbri before it lists the goals for each set:

Remember that your scores on these question sets are raw scores; on the actual MBE, the bar examiners will
add points to your raw score to obtain a scaled score, which is what states use to compute overall passing
grades. The bottom line is that you can miss a lot of questions and still pass the exam.

Eeeeek, I wanna know how many questions I can miss!! Currently averaging correct on 55% of questions.... not feeling so hot :(

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:23 pm

kmp127 wrote:
HLBE689 wrote:You probably already know this - but I found this a bit heartening to remember when thinking about the stupid Barbri question sets - this is stated by Barbri before it lists the goals for each set:

Eeeeek, I wanna know how many questions I can miss!! Currently averaging correct on 55% of questions.... not feeling so hot :(

I'm also in the same boat--hovering around 55-60% (raw).

But, if we keep up with this grind, hopefully we can get to 67-70% (raw). I mean, we still have threeish weeks to cram, cram, and cram.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:56 pm

The barbri mixed question sets are clearly easier than the MPQs, right?

I'm doing awful in the MPQs. Miserable. I got a 6/18 in Torts set 2 last night.

But I'm averaging much better in the mixed sets.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”