BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

HLBE689

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby HLBE689 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:35 am

For the online PDF mixed sets of 50 MPQs that are assigned in our PSP - does anyone know if Barbri lists a "goal" percentage to get on these anywhere like it does for the individual subject sets and the MBE workshops? Wasn't finding it anywhere! Thanks!

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:44 am

jamescastle wrote:From my understanding this is a contract question and not a property question.
We are looking at concurrent conditions. The effect of a concurrent condition is that when one of the conditions occurs, performance via the other concurrent condition is due immediately.

That said, I think if I were given this question in an MBE setting (i.e. mixed in randomly with other questions and not looking at a block of 20 questions in one subject), I would have probably narrowed it down to B) and D) and picked D) more than half the time. :?

I'm confused by this question, also. What makes this a contracts question instead of a property question? Why isn't the "time is of the essence" issue relevant here? Would it be relevant if the suit was for specific performance instead of breach of contract?

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:47 am

HLBE689 wrote:For the online PDF mixed sets of 50 MPQs that are assigned in our PSP - does anyone know if Barbri lists a "goal" percentage to get on these anywhere like it does for the individual subject sets and the MBE workshops? Wasn't finding it anywhere! Thanks!

I couldn't find one. I'm assuming it would be around 60% based on the other MPQ goals and the Simulated MBE goal.

HLBE689

Postby HLBE689 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:27 am

charlesxavier wrote:
HLBE689 wrote:For the online PDF mixed sets of 50 MPQs that are assigned in our PSP - does anyone know if Barbri lists a "goal" percentage to get on these anywhere like it does for the individual subject sets and the MBE workshops? Wasn't finding it anywhere! Thanks!

I couldn't find one. I'm assuming it would be around 60% based on the other MPQ goals and the Simulated MBE goal.

Found them! I knew they were somewhere - they are in the "enrolled student center" in a document linked to right above the first set of mixed questions - Click the gear icon on the PSP, top right corner, then click enrolled student center. Then left side of page - click practice questions.

kmp127

Postby kmp127 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:00 pm

HLBE689 wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:

Found them! I knew they were somewhere - they are in the "enrolled student center" in a document linked to right above the first set of mixed questions - Click the gear icon on the PSP, top right corner, then click enrolled student center. Then left side of page - click practice questions.

Where are the goals Barbri sets for the individual subject sets?

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:26 pm

ohhoney wrote:How important do y'all think it is to do the "Simulated Half Day Essay Exam"? I slacked today and went to Jurassic World (worth it!) instead of getting to these practice essays. Did everyone actually write out everything under timed conditions, or do we think it's okay to just outline some answers and work on timing later? I guess what I'm really asking is how crucial is it that I practice writing timed essays at this stage in the game?

Wondering about this as well. Not sure if I'm going to do that stuff today.

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:30 pm

I remember someone posted this question already, but i was not able to locate it. How do you go back to see you % results in StudySmart? It seems like if you click on it through your completed assignments, it just starts the test over again.

LawGuy321

Postby LawGuy321 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:31 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
jamescastle wrote:From my understanding this is a contract question and not a property question.
We are looking at concurrent conditions. The effect of a concurrent condition is that when one of the conditions occurs, performance via the other concurrent condition is due immediately.

That said, I think if I were given this question in an MBE setting (i.e. mixed in randomly with other questions and not looking at a block of 20 questions in one subject), I would have probably narrowed it down to B) and D) and picked D) more than half the time. :?

I'm confused by this question, also. What makes this a contracts question instead of a property question? Why isn't the "time is of the essence" issue relevant here? Would it be relevant if the suit was for specific performance instead of breach of contract?

Very confusing, but I'll take a crack. At the moment that both sides are supposed to fulfill and one side doesn't, there is a breach, meaning the person can sue (in this case, for contract damages, but in others for specific performance). If the pathologist 2 days later brings title, then retroactively it's no longer a breach because there was no "time is of the essence" clause. Can we say that "there is a breach now, but if you tender in a reasonable time, there will never have been a breach." Does that make sense?

Is this worth sending to BarBri to ask about? Even if it's not their question, they might shed light on the general issue?

LawGuy321

Postby LawGuy321 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:35 pm

a male human wrote:
LawGuy321 wrote:
a male human wrote:
victortsoi wrote:Really need some help with the essays here, I've put off really doing them after my graded essay, but want to start up again. How many do you guys suggest doing open book vs. closed book?
I feel like I usually "get" the answer, but leave out elements of the rule too much. Don't know the best targeted way to rectify this.

Mostly closed book. Hate to tell you this but it's July now. The point is to feel like shit now so you learn the parts you missed.

Ummm... ::nervous breakdown breathing:: Can i just say... ::breathes erratically:: that unless you're in Tokyo... ::grabs armchair vigorously:: it's still JUNE...?!

I exaggerated a bit, but I'm glad you had a bargasm from it.

I assure thee, 'twas all in jest.

DesperadoOfColumbia

Postby DesperadoOfColumbia » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:38 pm

Does anyone else have the issue that their essays whether Barbri graded or checklist graded (closed book) seem to score way higher and hit all the points while their MPQ/Studysmart scores are low? I'm flabbergasted. Even on the same topics, I hit all the checklists but on multiple choice I'm a mess, 44-67 percentile consistently.

I can't tell if it's a mental thing or I'm doing something wrong in studying. I do the CMRs, some lectures (some of those kill me), I do practice questions and essays and read the results and explanations, I bought flashcards, but the multiple choice makes me scream at the answers. Anyone got any tips to um... tip the balance? It'd be greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone taking a break on the 4th? I'm tempted to but I'm also too anxious to do it I think.

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:39 pm

LawGuy321 wrote:Is this worth sending to BarBri to ask about? Even if it's not their question, they might shed light on the general issue?

You could send it to your property lecturer or your K lecturer, but I suspect the answer they'll give is that IRL the MBE would be very unlikely to conflate a Real Property and K question like that, and that if they did probably 60% of people would miss it, so don't worry about it.

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:40 pm

DesperadoOfColumbia wrote:Also, anyone taking a break on the 4th? I'm tempted to but I'm also too anxious to do it I think.

Yes. And likely on the 5th.

dwyf

Postby dwyf » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:50 pm

If I take MPQ questions in the book, how do I enter them in online?

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:51 pm

DesperadoOfColumbia wrote:Does anyone else have the issue that their essays whether Barbri graded or checklist graded (closed book) seem to score way higher and hit all the points while their MPQ/Studysmart scores are low? I'm flabbergasted. Even on the same topics, I hit all the checklists but on multiple choice I'm a mess, 44-67 percentile consistently.

I can't tell if it's a mental thing or I'm doing something wrong in studying. I do the CMRs, some lectures (some of those kill me), I do practice questions and essays and read the results and explanations, I bought flashcards, but the multiple choice makes me scream at the answers. Anyone got any tips to um... tip the balance? It'd be greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone taking a break on the 4th? I'm tempted to but I'm also too anxious to do it I think.

Recognize that Barbri questions are purposefully challenging and confusing. Additionally, some people getting those questions right have narrowed down to two choices (probably like you have) and just guessed right. This doesn't mean your knowledge is insufficient, it means other people got lucky in guessing whereas you may have not. Other MBE sources (Adaptibar and Emmanuels) have much clearer right and wrong answers. If you need peace of mind, consider buying those supps.

DesperadoOfColumbia

Postby DesperadoOfColumbia » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:07 pm

Kage3212 wrote:
DesperadoOfColumbia wrote:Does anyone else have the issue that their essays whether Barbri graded or checklist graded (closed book) seem to score way higher and hit all the points while their MPQ/Studysmart scores are low? I'm flabbergasted. Even on the same topics, I hit all the checklists but on multiple choice I'm a mess, 44-67 percentile consistently.

Recognize that Barbri questions are purposefully challenging and confusing. Additionally, some people getting those questions right have narrowed down to two choices (probably like you have) and just guessed right. This doesn't mean your knowledge is insufficient, it means other people got lucky in guessing whereas you may have not. Other MBE sources (Adaptibar and Emmanuels) have much clearer right and wrong answers. If you need peace of mind, consider buying those supps.

Thanks for the perspective! The practice MBE was easier than the MPQs and I'm definitely planning on getting Emmanuel right after the holiday.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:21 pm

Edit: duplicate post
Last edited by BuckinghamB on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:21 pm

DesperadoOfColumbia wrote:
Kage3212 wrote:

Thanks for the perspective! The practice MBE was easier than the MPQs and I'm definitely planning on getting Emmanuel right after the holiday.

Yep Emmanuel's will make you feel better. Also, 44-67th percentile isn't bad. You're right in the middle, which is comfortably passing. It's easy to forget that sometimes

stronitsing

Postby stronitsing » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:41 pm

EvelynS wrote:I remember someone posted this question already, but i was not able to locate it. How do you go back to see you % results in StudySmart? It seems like if you click on it through your completed assignments, it just starts the test over again.

This confused me too at first. Open the test as if you we're going to take it, hit "leave test" and then hit "view results"

gmail

Postby gmail » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:55 pm

What speed do y'all do the lectures at? Usually I do 1.5x, but sometimes I slam a red bull and do 1.75

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:56 pm

gmail wrote:What speed do y'all do the lectures at? Usually I do 1.5x, but sometimes I slam a red bull and do 1.75

Always 2

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:10 pm

Some of the lecturers are so slow that 2 even feels slow. Freer is an extreme example.

murray18

Postby murray18 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:19 pm

DesperadoOfColumbia wrote:Also, anyone taking a break on the 4th? I'm tempted to but I'm also too anxious to do it I think.

Absolutely. In my opinion, if you don't eat ribs and/or drink Budweiser on the Fourth of July, you shouldn't be allowed to sit for the bar in any American state.

Plus, I'm pretty sure a day or too off is necessary to give you the steam to keep at it right up until the bar (sort of like taking the night off after a law school exam).

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:45 pm

I'm reviewing some property MBEs, and am hoping for some clarification.

Here's an example: Landlord and Tenant enter into a 2-year lease agreement, with rent--say $1,000--due the first of every month. Before the current lease expires, Landlord informs Tenant that the monthly rent will increase to $1,500. Tenant remains silent, and the lease expires. In month 25, Tenant remains on the premises. Landlord does not evict the Tenant, but demands that Tenant pay the increased monthly rent. Tenant refuses to pay.

Question asks "what best explains the legal nature of the current lease between Landlord and Tenant?"

Because the Landlord informed the Tenant about the rent increase, I knew that the answer would have to include the higher rent value.

So, I narrowed it down to two choices:

(A) Landlord and Tenant have a year-to-year lease for $1,500 per month.
(B) Landlord and Tenant have a month-to-month lease for $1,500 per month.

I thought the answer was (A) because the Tenant is now considered a "holdover" Tenant. Thus, the Landlord's and the Tenant's new lease would mirror their old lease, but with the higher rent value.

Barbri said the answer was (B) because most courts would only impose only a month-to-month lease at $1,500. But the explanatory answer was not very useful.

Can someone help me better understand why (B) is correct over (A)?

ArmyOfficer

Postby ArmyOfficer » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:46 pm

Mixed Subject Question Set 1 is no joke.

ArmyOfficer

Postby ArmyOfficer » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:48 pm

kykiske wrote:I'm reviewing some property MBEs, and am hoping for some clarification.

Here's an example: Landlord and Tenant enter into a 2-year lease agreement, with rent--say $1,000--due the first of every month. Before the current lease expires, Landlord informs Tenant that the monthly rent will increase to $1,500. Tenant remains silent, and the lease expires. In month 25, Tenant remains on the premises. Landlord does not evict the Tenant, but demands that Tenant pay the increased monthly rent. Tenant refuses to pay.

Question asks "what best explains the legal nature of the current lease between Landlord and Tenant?"

Because the Landlord informed the Tenant about the rent increase, I knew that the answer would have to include the higher rent value.

So, I narrowed it down to two choices:

(A) Landlord and Tenant have a year-to-year lease for $1,500 per month.
(B) Landlord and Tenant have a month-to-month lease for $1,500 per month.

I thought the answer was (A) because the Tenant is now considered a "holdover" Tenant. Thus, the Landlord's and the Tenant's new lease would mirror their old lease, but with the higher rent value.

Barbri said the answer was (B) because most courts would only impose only a month-to-month lease at $1,500. But the explanatory answer was not very useful.

Can someone help me better understand why (B) is correct over (A)?

It is because it is a residential lease. Courts will find month-to-month for residential leases, but year-to-year for commercial leases that are longer than a year.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”