BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby musicfor18 » Fri May 29, 2015 7:40 pm

kmp127 wrote:Hi Everyone, I'm taking the TX bar 8 years after having passed the PA and NJ bars right after law school. Needless to say, NOTHING is as fresh as it was the first time around. And unlike last time when I had my peers to ask questions to, I am doing this on my own so figured to reach out.

I had Contracts with Sokolow earlier this week, and just finished Con Law with Thai. Did anyone else think Thai was just awful? I feel like I'm now stuck re-learning Con Law from scratch, all with his confusion mixed in. Maybe I'm just in my own head. But now I worry about the quality of lecturers for the remaining subjects...

Also, what is this "Critical Pass" flash cards you guys talk about? Thanks all in advance!!


I can't comment on the lectures you mentioned, since I haven't had any of those instructors yet. Critical Pass are MBE flashcards that have been recommended by many. Here is the link: http://criticalpass.refr.cc/ZZ38HNF

Ful disclosure: this is a referral link.

MPTPWZ1026
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:01 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby MPTPWZ1026 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:26 pm

Andrews989 wrote:What is a "good" score to get on these MPQ 18 question sets?


The "goals" for each set are listed in the front of the MPQ book. They are usually either 56% or 61% correct for each set.

I did the Con Law MPQ Set 1 and did terrible. I felt like the questions were just ridiculously tricky. I did way better on Set 2, but opted to do it in my book and input into StudySmart instead of doing it online actually through StudySmart. My score was way better, so I don't know if I just hated the program or that set was easier.

MPTPWZ1026
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:01 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby MPTPWZ1026 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:34 pm

Neff wrote:So it's completely safe to just follow the BARBRI calendar right? So far we haven't had any MC or essay assignments, just listen to lectures and review notes. If we just do practice problems when the schedule tells us to do problems, is that okay? I'm hesitant to do problems now since I'm afraid I might do something that will end up being assigned later.


Definitely okay. Barbri will begin assignment question sets and essay assignment as you get further into the lectures. Usually you have a diagnostic the day after you finish watching the lectures and then you'll begin doing MPQs and practice essays a few days later, right as you're learning a new subject. After you learn that new subject, you'll begin getting questions for it a few days later when you are beginning yet another new subject.

If you want to do problems or test yourself without having to worry about running into repeat questions later, you could always get the Law In A Flash MBE set or the Strategies and Tactics book by Emmanuel. I have the Strategies and Tactics book and haven't really used it yet, but it's nice to have if I ever want extra questions.

kmp127
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 5:16 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kmp127 » Sat May 30, 2015 10:21 am

Thanks! As much as it pains me to spend another dime after what Barbri charges, I think I'm going to get those flash cards as a memorization tool (ESP since the lecture notes aren't organized clearly at all).

Is anyone else here studying for TX? Looking for a buddy to reach out to if needed....

Apologies if I'm using the site wrong, first timer!

sprezz
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby sprezz » Sat May 30, 2015 11:52 am

RaleighStClair wrote:Hey all,

For people whose classes started with Con Law: How did you all do on the 25 question MPQ/MBE ConLaw workshop?

I got 18/25, but I think this was probably an inflated representation of where I'm at, because it felt REALLY hard to me, and guessed between two choices a good amount. Does anyone else feel this way? Or if you started with another topic, about the 25 questions workshops in general?

a week behind you, but this was also my experience. 19/25, seemed like a good chunk of 50-50s (some of my misses weren't my 50-50s, either).

nj1412
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:49 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby nj1412 » Sat May 30, 2015 1:08 pm

Any one not a fan of Epsteins lectures? I'm feeling like my contracts knowledge is below par.

myrtlewinston
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby myrtlewinston » Sat May 30, 2015 3:02 pm

Messed up the first two practice essays. Help!

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby mr.hands » Sat May 30, 2015 3:03 pm

sprezz wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:Hey all,

For people whose classes started with Con Law: How did you all do on the 25 question MPQ/MBE ConLaw workshop?

I got 18/25, but I think this was probably an inflated representation of where I'm at, because it felt REALLY hard to me, and guessed between two choices a good amount. Does anyone else feel this way? Or if you started with another topic, about the 25 questions workshops in general?

a week behind you, but this was also my experience. 19/25, seemed like a good chunk of 50-50s (some of my misses weren't my 50-50s, either).


Didn't go great. I got 17/25 and missed 6 in a row. Some were careless errors (not reading closely, eating lunch while answering questions, etc.).

Although 17-19/25 would be correlate to a grade in the 140s, I think scores are inflated because we're only focusing on one subject right now. We aren't being forced to switch back and forth between 6 subjects.

Kage3212
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:34 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Kage3212 » Sat May 30, 2015 4:47 pm

mr.hands wrote:
sprezz wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:Hey all,

For people whose classes started with Con Law: How did you all do on the 25 question MPQ/MBE ConLaw workshop?

I got 18/25, but I think this was probably an inflated representation of where I'm at, because it felt REALLY hard to me, and guessed between two choices a good amount. Does anyone else feel this way? Or if you started with another topic, about the 25 questions workshops in general?

a week behind you, but this was also my experience. 19/25, seemed like a good chunk of 50-50s (some of my misses weren't my 50-50s, either).


Didn't go great. I got 17/25 and missed 6 in a row. Some were careless errors (not reading closely, eating lunch while answering questions, etc.).

Although 17-19/25 would be correlate to a grade in the 140s, I think scores are inflated because we're only focusing on one subject right now. We aren't being forced to switch back and forth between 6 subjects.


From my limited experience doing only the Evidence workshop, it seems the workshop questions were much easier than the actual MBE StudySmart sessions. I got 20/25 correct on Evidence workshop, and felt pretty comfortable with the material. I then scored 11/18 on the subsequent StudySmart sessions. So this may be something to keep in mind when going forward and trying to gauge knowledge of the material. I am also aware the front of the Barbri MBE question book provides a scoring chart based on previous individual's scores in the course, which is also a good indicator of where you should be.

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby musicfor18 » Sat May 30, 2015 4:50 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:Messed up the first two practice essays. Help!


Are you NY? I totally messed up on the last part of the essay architect assignment. I failed recognize that the email "canceling" the contract satisfied the statute of frauds.

MPTPWZ1026
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:01 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby MPTPWZ1026 » Sat May 30, 2015 5:37 pm

Kage3212 wrote:
mr.hands wrote:
sprezz wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:Hey all,

For people whose classes started with Con Law: How did you all do on the 25 question MPQ/MBE ConLaw workshop?

I got 18/25, but I think this was probably an inflated representation of where I'm at, because it felt REALLY hard to me, and guessed between two choices a good amount. Does anyone else feel this way? Or if you started with another topic, about the 25 questions workshops in general?

a week behind you, but this was also my experience. 19/25, seemed like a good chunk of 50-50s (some of my misses weren't my 50-50s, either).


Didn't go great. I got 17/25 and missed 6 in a row. Some were careless errors (not reading closely, eating lunch while answering questions, etc.).

Although 17-19/25 would be correlate to a grade in the 140s, I think scores are inflated because we're only focusing on one subject right now. We aren't being forced to switch back and forth between 6 subjects.


From my limited experience doing only the Evidence workshop, it seems the workshop questions were much easier than the actual MBE StudySmart sessions. I got 20/25 correct on Evidence workshop, and felt pretty comfortable with the material. I then scored 11/18 on the subsequent StudySmart sessions. So this may be something to keep in mind when going forward and trying to gauge knowledge of the material. I am also aware the front of the Barbri MBE question book provides a scoring chart based on previous individual's scores in the course, which is also a good indicator of where you should be.


Agreed. The workshops are way different than the StudySmart questions. I found the StudySmart questions were much, much harder. Then again, they also aren't designed to have great percentage "goals." For StudySmart, a lot of the time they are between 56 and 61% correct. So don't get crazy discouraged if you feel like you're doing way worse with those.

User avatar
History_Buff
Posts: 8593
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:45 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby History_Buff » Sat May 30, 2015 7:00 pm

sprezz wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:Hey all,

For people whose classes started with Con Law: How did you all do on the 25 question MPQ/MBE ConLaw workshop?

I got 18/25, but I think this was probably an inflated representation of where I'm at, because it felt REALLY hard to me, and guessed between two choices a good amount. Does anyone else feel this way? Or if you started with another topic, about the 25 questions workshops in general?

a week behind you, but this was also my experience. 19/25, seemed like a good chunk of 50-50s (some of my misses weren't my 50-50s, either).


Exactly the same for me.

myrtlewinston
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby myrtlewinston » Sat May 30, 2015 7:13 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:Messed up the first two practice essays. Help!


Are you NY? I totally messed up on the last part of the essay architect assignment. I failed recognize that the email "canceling" the contract satisfied the statute of frauds.


Yes. I made that same mistake as well.

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby musicfor18 » Sat May 30, 2015 7:58 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:Messed up the first two practice essays. Help!


Are you NY? I totally messed up on the last part of the essay architect assignment. I failed recognize that the email "canceling" the contract satisfied the statute of frauds.


Yes. I made that same mistake as well.


What a dumb end to that assignment.

jas31
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 8:19 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby jas31 » Sat May 30, 2015 8:22 pm

Does anyone feel like Barbri isn't giving them enough to do? I keep hearing about how everyone says you should 30-40 questions a day. I'm nowhere near that. Also, I'm a bit frustrated as I attempt to use the Barbri lectures to work through an essay (for example, corporations). But the lectures really don't help much in approaching the questions.

Benjamin1987
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:42 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Benjamin1987 » Sat May 30, 2015 8:59 pm

kmp127 wrote:Hi Everyone, I'm taking the TX bar 8 years after having passed the PA and NJ bars right after law school. Needless to say, NOTHING is as fresh as it was the first time around. And unlike last time when I had my peers to ask questions to, I am doing this on my own so figured to reach out.

I had Contracts with Sokolow earlier this week, and just finished Con Law with Thai. Did anyone else think Thai was just awful? I feel like I'm now stuck re-learning Con Law from scratch, all with his confusion mixed in. Maybe I'm just in my own head. But now I worry about the quality of lecturers for the remaining subjects...

Also, what is this "Critical Pass" flash cards you guys talk about? Thanks all in advance!!


Also doing the TX bar! I don't know that I would characterize Thai as awful. I felt like both K and Con law lectures were a little cursory. That is, until I made flashcards predicated on the lectures (the conviser is too detailed to try and capture in flash cards). Every point/general rule in the Con law lecture alone is 133 flash cards. So, I'm actually starting to think its was a very good overview, and about all I can reasonably expect to memorize cold before the exam. Also, I feel like it should be more than enough to do (very) well.

As far as the Critical Pass flash cards go, they are $99, of ~$49 for the iPhone/iPad app. They are geared to the Multistate. There is only 250 total (I think?), so I'm not sure how thorough they can be. I just opted to make flash cards on Cram.com using the lecture notes during the "1 hour lecture review." It was quick and easy, and doubled as a great review. I'd be happy to share them with you, it would be great to have two people making flash cards to save time. I'll PM you...

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Unagi » Sat May 30, 2015 9:37 pm

Checking in! Good luck to all!

atticus89
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:06 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby atticus89 » Sat May 30, 2015 9:42 pm

jas31 wrote:Does anyone feel like Barbri isn't giving them enough to do? I keep hearing about how everyone says you should 30-40 questions a day. I'm nowhere near that. Also, I'm a bit frustrated as I attempt to use the Barbri lectures to work through an essay (for example, corporations). But the lectures really don't help much in approaching the questions.


Agreed that this is super unclear. I feel like Barbri is giving a ton of passive work -- watch a 4 hour substantive lecture; watch a 1 hour workshop lecture on a particular topic, etc -- but limited assignments to just do a bunch of problems. Don't get me wrong, there have been some but definitely nowhere near the recommended 30 MBEs per day.

old_soul
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby old_soul » Sat May 30, 2015 10:32 pm

mr.hands wrote:
sprezz wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:Hey all,

For people whose classes started with Con Law: How did you all do on the 25 question MPQ/MBE ConLaw workshop?

I got 18/25, but I think this was probably an inflated representation of where I'm at, because it felt REALLY hard to me, and guessed between two choices a good amount. Does anyone else feel this way? Or if you started with another topic, about the 25 questions workshops in general?

a week behind you, but this was also my experience. 19/25, seemed like a good chunk of 50-50s (some of my misses weren't my 50-50s, either).


Didn't go great. I got 17/25 and missed 6 in a row. Some were careless errors (not reading closely, eating lunch while answering questions, etc.).

Although 17-19/25 would be correlate to a grade in the 140s, I think scores are inflated because we're only focusing on one subject right now. We aren't being forced to switch back and forth between 6 subjects.



Just did mine. 19/25. When I was grading them, I freaked out because I missed the majority of my qs in the first 10.

I'm confused by how different these were from Emmanuel's Strategies and Tactics. I try to do problems from a variety of sources; I've heard that Barbri's mpqs are not representative of the MBE? :cry:

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby mr.hands » Sun May 31, 2015 4:23 am

atticus89 wrote:
jas31 wrote:Does anyone feel like Barbri isn't giving them enough to do? I keep hearing about how everyone says you should 30-40 questions a day. I'm nowhere near that. Also, I'm a bit frustrated as I attempt to use the Barbri lectures to work through an essay (for example, corporations). But the lectures really don't help much in approaching the questions.


Agreed that this is super unclear. I feel like Barbri is giving a ton of passive work -- watch a 4 hour substantive lecture; watch a 1 hour workshop lecture on a particular topic, etc -- but limited assignments to just do a bunch of problems. Don't get me wrong, there have been some but definitely nowhere near the recommended 30 MBEs per day.


Agreed. Has anyone had days where barbri assigns only 3 or so hours of work? I haven't had a singe day where I've been assigned more than 6 hours of work/review. Not sure what to do about that...

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby northwood » Sun May 31, 2015 9:15 am

atticus89 wrote:
jas31 wrote:Does anyone feel like Barbri isn't giving them enough to do? I keep hearing about how everyone says you should 30-40 questions a day. I'm nowhere near that. Also, I'm a bit frustrated as I attempt to use the Barbri lectures to work through an essay (for example, corporations). But the lectures really don't help much in approaching the questions.


Agreed that this is super unclear. I feel like Barbri is giving a ton of passive work -- watch a 4 hour substantive lecture; watch a 1 hour workshop lecture on a particular topic, etc -- but limited assignments to just do a bunch of problems. Don't get me wrong, there have been some but definitely nowhere near the recommended 30 MBEs per day.



buy Emanuel's MBE book and do MBE questions

Neff
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:29 am

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Neff » Sun May 31, 2015 12:46 pm

.
Last edited by Neff on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mushybrain
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby mushybrain » Sun May 31, 2015 1:20 pm

What kind of work are you guys putting in on weekends right now, besides what BarBri assigns?

User avatar
Hepcat281
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 2:38 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Hepcat281 » Sun May 31, 2015 2:51 pm

Checking in. I'm so happy to hear that I can speed these lectures up. So far, the only good things I've gotten from them are tips on the MBE.

victortsoi
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:51 pm

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby victortsoi » Sun May 31, 2015 9:09 pm

I had to rearrange my schedule, also was sick last week....how long should we be spending on the essays? I know it says 1.5hrs, but how much should we be spending? Thanks.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests