BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Poopface

New

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by Poopface » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:05 pm

ohhoney wrote:I know this has been talked about a bit already, but OMFG the Emanuel Civ Pro questions! Why are they so much harder?!? Why do they make me feel love for Barbri?!

Any idea which ones are more similar to the ones we'll see on the real MBE?! (please say barbri, please say barbri).
Not sure but i'm really worried about this too. Civ pro was my best subject on barbri (hitting like 80%+) so i have been kind of banking on doing well on civ pro on the actual exam, but the emanuel civ pro Qs were significantly harder so I am starting to get worried about what to expect on the actual test.

Anyone else have any clues as to what to expect re: civ pro difficulty on actual mbe?

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:09 pm

Just for clarification, the civ pro questions y'all are talking about are from the little notecard thing in the book, right? Because my book doesn't contain any other civ pro questions.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:12 pm

Poopface wrote:
ohhoney wrote:I know this has been talked about a bit already, but OMFG the Emanuel Civ Pro questions! Why are they so much harder?!? Why do they make me feel love for Barbri?!

Any idea which ones are more similar to the ones we'll see on the real MBE?! (please say barbri, please say barbri).
Not sure but i'm really worried about this too. Civ pro was my best subject on barbri (hitting like 80%+) so i have been kind of banking on doing well on civ pro on the actual exam, but the emanuel civ pro Qs were significantly harder so I am starting to get worried about what to expect on the actual test.

Anyone else have any clues as to what to expect re: civ pro difficulty on actual mbe?
There is no telling. Like I've said. I dropped 20 percentage point when I did Emanual Civ Pro as compared to my MPQ Civ Pro average, whereas I got a perfect 10/10 on the example questions on NCBE. Although people said the examples on NCBE are generally easier than the real thing thus not representative, it will be impossible to tell since the real civ pro had only been administered once this Feb.

Attachment?! Barbri didn't even talk about attachment in civ pro lectures...

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:12 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:Just for clarification, the civ pro questions y'all are talking about are from the little notecard thing in the book, right? Because my book doesn't contain any other civ pro questions.
Yes, you can redeem that notecard for 50ish civ pro questions on the website.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:14 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:Just for clarification, the civ pro questions y'all are talking about are from the little notecard thing in the book, right? Because my book doesn't contain any other civ pro questions.
Yes, you can redeem that notecard for 50ish civ pro questions on the website.
Alright, phew. I was worried I might have snagged the wrong edition of the book.

Muchas gracias.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:16 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote: Alright, phew. I was worried I might have snagged the wrong edition of the book.

Muchas gracias.
Nah, the latest editions are 5th for the S&T and 2nd for the S&T2. Both were last edited in 2012, so they just include an access code for civ pro. Barbri and Emanul seem to focus on very different things when it comes to Civ Pro... so it might be good to practice both just in case. Since no one really has a clue what the real things will be.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:18 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote: Alright, phew. I was worried I might have snagged the wrong edition of the book.

Muchas gracias.
Nah, the latest editions are 5th for the S&T and 2nd for the S&T2. Both were last edited in 2012, so they just include an access code for civ pro. Barbri and Emanul seemed to focus on very different things when it comes to Civ Pro... so it might be good to practice both just in case. Since no one really have a clue what the real things will be.
Yea, I've gone through the set of 10 free ones that the NCBE offers and noticed a bit of differences already. The way they are worded is what strikes me as the most radical change. I'm so used to reading these BarBri questions that when I see some that you can tell have been written by a different person or under a different formula it's just odd.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:23 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote: Yea, I've gone through the set of 10 free ones that the NCBE offers and noticed a bit of differences already. The way they are worded is what strikes me as the most radical change. I'm so used to reading these BarBri questions that when I see some that you can tell have been written by a different person or under a different formula it's just odd.
That's why I picked up Emanual. My experience thus far has been that the different wordings made me felt quite uncomfortable while I was doing the questions and felt like I certainly failed the questions sets, but then always ended up doing much better as compared to what I've been scoring on Barbri (again, except Civ Pro).

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:23 pm

Do any of you think it would be a good strategy for the next week to go through the MEE questions/answers in the MEET book and just get really familiar with those types of fact patterns? I think I would internalize things a lot better that way (as opposed to just doing flashcards/reading outlines), but I guess I'm wondering what the odds are of getting an essay question that's not addressed in that book.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:30 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:Do any of you think it would be a good strategy for the next week to go through the MEE questions/answers in the MEET book and just get really familiar with those types of fact patterns? I think I would internalize things a lot better that way (as opposed to just doing flashcards/reading outlines), but I guess I'm wondering what the odds are of getting an essay question that's not addressed in that book.
My game plan for next week.
Do one 50 questions mixset per day (they're not assigned by my PSP except 1 and 2). Go through a few none MEE topic essays per day. And squeeze in one odd ball MPT somewhere during the week. Do the half day MBE sometime during the weekend. And that's about it as far as what I "plan" to do.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:31 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:Do any of you think it would be a good strategy for the next week to go through the MEE questions/answers in the MEET book and just get really familiar with those types of fact patterns? I think I would internalize things a lot better that way (as opposed to just doing flashcards/reading outlines), but I guess I'm wondering what the odds are of getting an essay question that's not addressed in that book.
I tend to think it's a good idea. I'm planning to at least go through (read, not outline/write out) all of the essay questions just so I have an idea of what to expect, how a good answer might be written out, and as a quick refresher as to certain areas of law (elements and what not).

I'm banking on the the thought that any essay we encounter will be like one of the ones in the book lol

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:55 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
I tend to think it's a good idea. I'm planning to at least go through (read, not outline/write out) all of the essay questions just so I have an idea of what to expect, how a good answer might be written out, and as a quick refresher as to certain areas of law (elements and what not).

I'm banking on the the thought that any essay we encounter will be like one of the ones in the book lol
My plan as well, haha. I'm going to do MBE sets/review MBE subject essays during the week as well, but as far as the MEE - there's just too much f'ing material in trusts and corps to be able to internalize it. I'm going to bank on the ones in the book. :shock:

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:57 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
My game plan for next week.
Do one 50 questions mixset per day (they're not assigned by my PSP except 1 and 2). Go through a few none MEE topic essays per day. And squeeze in one odd ball MPT somewhere during the week. Do the half day MBE sometime during the weekend. And that's about it as far as what I "plan" to do.
Sounds like a good plan. The MBE is obviously the most important thing. I really should do an MPT or two...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:58 pm

We're all going to crush this exam.

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:14 pm

Been working through a couple PT today and getting distracted by the amount of material. I know Barbris approach but it seems counter-intuitive to be reading the library first when you don't know what the claims and causes of action are/have no idea what you are looking for. Any advice on how to quickly handle these PTs and to get going quickly in banging them out? What do you guys/girls read first?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:17 pm

Kage3212 wrote:Been working through a couple PT today and getting distracted by the amount of material. I know Barbris approach but it seems counter-intuitive to be reading the library first when you don't know what the claims and causes of action are/have no idea what you are looking for. Any advice on how to quickly handle these PTs and to get going quickly in banging them out? What do you guys/girls read first?
Personally, I like to know what I'm likely looking for before I read cases. Otherwise I'm too prone to just move my eyes across the page without absorbing anything.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:24 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Kage3212 wrote:Been working through a couple PT today and getting distracted by the amount of material. I know Barbris approach but it seems counter-intuitive to be reading the library first when you don't know what the claims and causes of action are/have no idea what you are looking for. Any advice on how to quickly handle these PTs and to get going quickly in banging them out? What do you guys/girls read first?
Personally, I like to know what I'm likely looking for before I read cases. Otherwise I'm too prone to just move my eyes across the page without absorbing anything.
I always read the instruction from the Partner first, then the library, then everything else. I think that's what Barbri said to do too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:33 pm

Got 75-80% on the MBE 50 question mixed sets. Got 61/100 on the MBE refresher, wtf

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:37 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Got 75-80% on the MBE 50 question mixed sets. Got 61/100 on the MBE refresher, wtf
Completely normal, just let it go. lol

ArmyOfficer

New

Post by ArmyOfficer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:42 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Got 75-80% on the MBE 50 question mixed sets. Got 61/100 on the MBE refresher, wtf
What are the MBE 50 question mixed sets?

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:45 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
Completely normal, just let it go. lol
Haha. I actually think it's a little ridiculous Barbri does this. If that was the last thing we looked at before going into the exam, we'd be looking for all these weird exceptions that will apply like 5 times out of 200. I think one of the answers on the Refresher was the Privileges/Immunities Clause of the 14th Amendment ... the one BarBri told us NEVER to pick.

You're good. Just stick with the mixed sets :arrow: emanuel q's :arrow: take test :arrow: profit. :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:49 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
I always read the instruction from the Partner first, then the library, then everything else. I think that's what Barbri said to do too.
Yea, I've been doing it BarBri's way too and it seems to work. Though, after reading what Rink says I might try a PT or two with a different approach to see if it may be worthwhile to switch it up.

The PT portion is just ridiculous, IMO. These sample answers are outrageous... no way I could write that in such a small amount of time.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:57 pm

Here's my "tip" for MPT if you will: Type down the factors and tests and rules as you read through the cases. So when you are coming back to actually write the memo, just cut and paste (I assume you can do this in examsoft too). Saved me some time from going back to find them again.

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:15 pm

Ya, I have put these PTs off while studying and now feeling a little overwhlemed jumping into them. Just have to figure out the best way to approach and come up with a seeminlgy decent response. I can certainly see how people get overwhelmed by these if they are not very familiar with how they are to be completed.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:20 pm

To me, MPTs are a lot like the work I did for my summers, except someone has already done the research part for me. And I was good at my summer jobs.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”