BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Ineedhelpplease

Bronze

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by Ineedhelpplease » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:33 am

I am really considering spending the money on Adaptibar... spending 2 or 3 days condensing my outlines... and just doing 30-50 questions for each subject everyday. I did the property workshop questions and felt like an idiot (4 out of 10) I just threw crap down and went to the gym.

O and for the essays, just reading Seperac.. I spent an hour just re-writing the joint tenancy summary he has in the master outline and found myself able to type it out on point.

cdelgado

Bronze

Post by cdelgado » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:46 am

So the consensus is that Barbri's MBE simulation will under prepare us for the bar, so we need to rely on Adaptibar?

It's so expensive after the money spent on Barbri.

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:02 am

cdelgado wrote:So the consensus is that Barbri's MBE simulation will under prepare us for the bar, so we need to rely on Adaptibar?

It's so expensive after the money spent on Barbri.
No. But, if you're not doing well then it might be worth it. However, everyone I know who took barbri passed without Adaptibar. Don't spend the money out of fear. Maybe try Emanuel first because it's cheaper and still has real MBE questions. Personally, I find them significantly easier than Barbri.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:24 am

I'm starting to notice that the MPQ "target" scores are below average. I took 3 evidence MPQs last night and scored right on the target each time. I'm in the 44 percentile. I guess it's close, but it appears that most students do better than the target scores.

Ineedhelpplease

Bronze

Post by Ineedhelpplease » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:55 am

Freer is amazing for NY Corps - I'm on 3 hours sleep and still able to somewhat keep up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

THE_U

Bronze

Post by THE_U » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:20 pm

3|ink wrote:I'm starting to notice that the MPQ "target" scores are below average. I took 3 evidence MPQs last night and scored right on the target each time. I'm in the 44 percentile. I guess it's close, but it appears that most students do better than the target scores.
This has kinda been freaking me out also. I'm starting to get highly annoyed and scared that Barbri's questions appear to be total garbage.

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:23 pm

dont be- im doing both adaptibar and barbri and really think that barbri questions are much harder and more detailed-not "garbage". The real thing will be shorter and easier. Basically, Barbri throws a mess at you and forces you to really think hard about what you know, while adaptibar(and i assume the actual mbe) just tests on one rule or exceptoin and calls it a day. Im doing much better on adaptibar than barbri.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:28 pm

THE_U wrote:
3|ink wrote:I'm starting to notice that the MPQ "target" scores are below average. I took 3 evidence MPQs last night and scored right on the target each time. I'm in the 44 percentile. I guess it's close, but it appears that most students do better than the target scores.
This has kinda been freaking me out also. I'm starting to get highly annoyed and scared that Barbri's questions appear to be total garbage.
Even if they are garbage, 56% of barbri students are performing better. That's what's freaking me out.

I know the barbri questions are harder. That doesn't bother me so much. It's that everyone else is doing so much better.

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:35 pm

remember-test of minimum competence and also, my suspicion is that barbri is already a self selected pool of people not representative of your true "rank" on test day(everyone taking the bar with you). I'm in NY, so I'm not freaking out unless im in the 20th percentile, and even then, these problems are fixable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:40 pm

victortsoi wrote:remember-test of minimum competence and also, my suspicion is that barbri is already a self selected pool of people not representative of your true "rank" on test day(everyone taking the bar with you). I'm in NY, so I'm not freaking out unless im in the 20th percentile, and even then, these problems are fixable.
My thoughts exactly.

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:47 pm

you guys are going way overboard. If anything, Barbri over-prepares you for the bar exam

diowad

New

Post by diowad » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:40 pm

3|ink wrote:
THE_U wrote:
Even if they are garbage, 56% of barbri students are performing better. That's what's freaking me out.

I know the barbri questions are harder. That doesn't bother me so much. It's that everyone else is doing so much better.
Glad I'm not the only one. I've hit my targets or maybe one question short for my strong subjects like Evidence and Civ Pro but am hovering in the 40-45th percentiles.

diowad

New

Post by diowad » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:45 pm

Also, for those suggesting Emmanuel, are his questions more like the actual MBE? I've heard from pretty much everyone everywhere that Barbri makes their questions way hard. And now I'm getting to the point where I'm overthinking simple questions and missing them.

Don't want to spend the extra money to get adaptibar, but emmanuel may be an option if the questions are more realistic. Otherwise, I'll just stick with getting my ass handed to me by BarBri.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:54 pm

Yes, Emmanuel = actual previous questions on the real thing. I'm having the same issue re overthinking, I think, and my copy of the Emmanuel book arrives today to test that theory.

THE_U

Bronze

Post by THE_U » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:56 pm

diowad wrote:Also, for those suggesting Emmanuel, are his questions more like the actual MBE? I've heard from pretty much everyone everywhere that Barbri makes their questions way hard. And now I'm getting to the point where I'm overthinking simple questions and missing them.

Don't want to spend the extra money to get adaptibar, but emmanuel may be an option if the questions are more realistic. Otherwise, I'll just stick with getting my ass handed to me by BarBri.
This is where I am at.

diowad

New

Post by diowad » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:37 pm

And another thing, for anyone that has taken the actual Bar, are the questions really this effing long? The Crim Set #2 has about 15 questions that take up at least 3/4's of a column. Not only that, but apparently I suck at Crim, so this just makes the agony worse. End rant.

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:42 pm

Now that I'm going through the stuff I got wrong on the first MBE 50 question set, I'm convinced I'm overthinking. It's like I get the straightforward stuff wrong because the right answer I identified looks like it might be a trap, and then I pick an answer I'm not sure about after rejecting the right one. I'm annoyed at myself.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:47 pm

diowad wrote:And another thing, for anyone that has taken the actual Bar, are the questions really this effing long? The Crim Set #2 has about 15 questions that take up at least 3/4's of a column. Not only that, but apparently I suck at Crim, so this just makes the agony worse. End rant.
This is what I want to know! The contracts sets, I'm legit doing in like 2.5 minutes each on average - while in most other subjects I'm in the right timing zone. Also, I think the civ pro questions are notably shorter/easier than others (which is confirmed by my 68% correct, yet only being at the 49th percentile in civ pro.)

My Emanuel's arrives today so I guess I'll see how the actual MBE questions are. From just doing 5 random questions on the NCBE website, I got 4 out of 5 right and they were really quick. Small sample size for sure, but they were noticeably easier and faster than 95% of the questions Barbri gives us.

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:31 pm

Switching back and forth between Barbri's MBEs and Emmanuel's MBEs has been quite difficult for me.

I overthink the ones in Emmanuel's, and get them wrong.

I do a set in Barbri, and get 8/18 because the questions test on super narrow exceptions that I don't remember.

/shrug

moreheesh

New

Post by moreheesh » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:39 pm

Can someone who is a fellow slacker that passed NY bar comment?

I've been slacking off. Only at 21% completion, just finished 1/3 NY property lectures and have only done 2 essays. I'm not a genius. For reference, I scored 86 (!) on the MPRE w/ about 6 hours of CALI lessons.

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:41 pm

Any computer whizzes here? The Barbri mini-outlines for the MBE subjects are very useful. They can be found in the StudySmary section of the website or via the Barbri app (somewhat easier to read). Can anyone figure out how to print them?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

murray18

Bronze

Post by murray18 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:53 pm

Quick question about the bar passage rate statistics. My state allows people from non-accredited law schools to take the bar. When comparing the pass rate to my studysmart percentile rate, should I be using the first-time accredited school passage stat, or do you think the overall passage rate is more representative?

85% pass rate vs. 65% for everybody (including repeats) makes for a pretty significant change in my confidence level.

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:05 pm

For people who have done both the first and second mixed MBE sets, how did your scores compare? I did considerably better on the second one without having studied anything in between, and I'm thinking it's just an improvement in trying not to overthink after seeing where I screwed up on the first set. But I'm wondering what others thought before I pat myself on the back.
Last edited by mushybrain on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

murray18

Bronze

Post by murray18 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:07 pm

kykiske wrote:Switching back and forth between Barbri's MBEs and Emmanuel's MBEs has been quite difficult for me.

I overthink the ones in Emmanuel's, and get them wrong.

I do a set in Barbri, and get 8/18 because the questions test on super narrow exceptions that I don't remember.

/shrug
My Emmanuel's should arrive Friday, so I can't speak to that, but I agree that alot of the Barbri MBE sets (particularly the later ones) test some narrow nonsense.

florentine

Bronze

Post by florentine » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:25 pm

mushybrain wrote:For people who have done both the first and second mixed MBE sets, how did your scores compare? I did considerably better on the second one without having studied anything in between, and I'm thinking it's just an improvement in trying not to overthink after seeing where I screwed up on the first set. But I'm wondering what others thought before I pat myself on the back.
Did a little bit worse on the second, but that's not saying much because I didn't do well on either. I missed about 19 on both for about 62%.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”