BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
musicfor18

Silver

BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by musicfor18 » Sun May 24, 2015 8:27 am

Seems like no one else has started this thread, so here goes. Talk about anything related to bar prep or BarBri. Opening question for everyone: Are you doing anything other than what BarBri assigns, like making flash cards?

toplawnerd

New

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by toplawnerd » Sun May 24, 2015 11:29 am

I'm not making flashcards, but I do know that a lot of people do. I'd say just do whatever works best for you.

Anyone know where to find extra MBE practice problems? I just finished torts and completed the torts MBE questions/AMP questions on my PSP. By extra, I mean questions that Barbri isn't going to be using later. I want to avoid doing a set of torts MBE questions that Barbri has planned for us to take some other day. Can I just use the MBE Practice Questions (MPQ) book?

Does this question make sense? I feel like barbri sent us a ton of material without explaining what each is used for.

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Sun May 24, 2015 12:05 pm

I'm finding that I'll probably never learn the black letter law cold without some kind of flash card setup. Or at least I won't learn it all well enough to regurgitate it on an essay. I'm trying the Critical Pass app on the iPad to see if I want to buy the full set of cards on there since that's like half the price of the physical ones. I have no intention of making my own flash cards though--I don't really learn by writing things out like that so it's not a good use of my time.

I think I'd also like attack sheets to study for the essay topics but I've read mixed things about Lean Sheets. Some people liked them, others felt they weren't really in depth enough, some thought the abbreviations and format were distracting enough to warrant just making your own.

I'm interested in the MBE thing also. I've heard the BarBri ones on the PSP aren't representative of the actual difficulty.

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Sun May 24, 2015 1:07 pm

mushy brain wrote: I'm interested in the MBE thing also. I've heard the BarBri ones on the PSP aren't representative of the actual difficulty.
As in, the BarBri ones are easier than, or more difficult than, the actual MBE questions?

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Sun May 24, 2015 1:11 pm

More difficult is what I've heard. I just want to make sure I practice enough with the real deal if I can.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

duskfall

New

Post by duskfall » Sun May 24, 2015 3:37 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
mushy brain wrote: I'm interested in the MBE thing also. I've heard the BarBri ones on the PSP aren't representative of the actual difficulty.
As in, the BarBri ones are easier than, or more difficult than, the actual MBE questions?
BARBRI is harder than actual questions. BARBRI might test 3-6 concepts in one fact pattern, but the actual is more like 2-4.

On the BARBRI practice, at my peak, I finished a 100 question set with 10-15 minutes to spare (sometimes no time). On the two bars I took (one being CBX), I finished with 30-45 minutes to spare.

toplawnerd

New

Post by toplawnerd » Sun May 24, 2015 5:38 pm

toplawnerd wrote: Anyone know where to find extra MBE practice problems? I just finished torts and completed the torts MBE questions/AMP questions on my PSP. By extra, I mean questions that Barbri isn't going to be using later. I want to avoid doing a set of torts MBE questions that Barbri has planned for us to take some other day. Can I just use the MBE Practice Questions (MPQ) book?
In case anyone is curious, I looked ahead in my PSP and found an assignment in the MPQ book. I guess this means that working on additional MBE questions may interfere at least somewhat with the planned assignments.

Charger

Bronze

Post by Charger » Sun May 24, 2015 7:30 pm

What's the word on flash cards? I spent most of today making flash cards on Quizlet and realized that it's just too much of a time suck, so I need to jump on some commercially prepared ones.

Critical Pass and Law in a Flash seem to be the most talked about around here. I used Law in a Flash during law school and found them to be great, but I'm looking more for something that is straight up BLL, as opposed to the mini hypo format that Law in a Flash cards use. So is Critical Pass the way to go here? Are there any other flashcards out there that I should consider?

If I go with Critical Pass, what's the best way to use them? What have others been doing/done in terms of cross-referencing and adding notes?

What are some advantages and disadvantages of going with the app version versus paper version? If I do the app version, can I still add notes on them? Can I print them out?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun May 24, 2015 7:41 pm

Checking in to this party.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JG7773

Bronze

Post by JG7773 » Sun May 24, 2015 8:17 pm

Also checking in.

The Flash Cards / MBE questions are of interest to me. As someone pointed out above, some assignments in the PSP reference completing questions from the MPQ book. There is also the StudySmart MBE, but that also seems to be referenced in the PSP (and I am not entirely sure if the questions are different in the two spots).

Another potential strategy I have heard is to make flash cards out of the MBE explanations. The answers are apparently a good source of providing various doctrines and tests, and breaking it out into a step-by-step analysis (if necessary), which could be helpful for both MBE and the essay portion of the exam.

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Sun May 24, 2015 8:44 pm

Greetings!

Has any one summarised Torts yet? If so, what materials did you use? The lectures were unfortunately incomplete.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Sun May 24, 2015 8:45 pm

I've heard mixed things about the torts lecutre --- why is there no outline?

Also every video says to keep doing practice problems but doesn't say where to do them from. I'm worried about just opening up the book because I don't want to double up

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Sun May 24, 2015 8:56 pm

The practice question assignments will pop up. Check your PSP. I took the Torts Diagnostic. There were topics and details that Schechter blew over.

Is everyone reading Conviser?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Sun May 24, 2015 9:01 pm

I'll check in here as well.

I was poking around on the Barbri site just now an found a potential bank of additional practice questions. From your PSP --> Go to the "Gear" icon in top right to get to "enrolled student center" --> On the left hand side go to Practice Questions. Looks like they have various sets and some MBE drills. Notably, these are wholly aside from the "studysmart MBE" questions, which as some previous posters have mentioned, are laid out as assignments for later on in the course.

FYI, taking in PA for any other fellow PA takers out there.

JG7773

Bronze

Post by JG7773 » Sun May 24, 2015 9:49 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:The practice question assignments will pop up. Check your PSP. I took the Torts Diagnostic. There were topics and details that Schechter blew over.

Is everyone reading Conviser?
I skimmed the CMR today. My first lecture is Tuesday (Torts) with Conviser. I am curious the differences between Conviser's lecture and Schechter's.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun May 24, 2015 9:54 pm

Kage3212 wrote:I'll check in here as well.

I was poking around on the Barbri site just now an found a potential bank of additional practice questions. From your PSP --> Go to the "Gear" icon in top right to get to "enrolled student center" --> On the left hand side go to Practice Questions. Looks like they have various sets and some MBE drills. Notably, these are wholly aside from the "studysmart MBE" questions, which as some previous posters have mentioned, are laid out as assignments for later on in the course.

FYI, taking in PA for any other fellow PA takers out there.
Some of that stuff, along with the AMP stuff, will get assigned to you as your personal assignments. The program is supposed to determine what areas you need help on via the diagnostic question sets and assign extra work as needed.

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:02 pm

Anyone else thinking of transitioning from the live lecture to just watching them all online? The jokes and everything were exactly the same. Interested to hear if others are thinking about switching based on commute times, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

History_Buff

Diamond

Post by History_Buff » Mon May 25, 2015 12:46 pm

In.

They started me off with Crim law/procedure. Start Con law tomorrow.

So far the assignments seem pretty manageable. Been getting through the days' assignments in about 6 hours.

MPTPWZ1026

New

Post by MPTPWZ1026 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:41 pm

I have the Critical Pass flashcards and would highly recommend them. The Critical Pass flashcards basically mirror the Barbri lecture outlines with some additional info from the Conviser.

I've just finished Con Law (our first lecture part). For the preparation, I read through the CMR without really trying to memorize anything. I just highlighted what looked important. During the lectures, I made notes in the handouts and then my review consisted of adding any important lecture or convisor info my cards didn't have onto them. It really wasn't much at all, but mainly notations at the tops of cards for subjects that were always tested or rarely tested, etc.

I think they'll be a good review as we get further along into the actual memorization. They're also a bit more portable than a crap ton of books, so I can see myself using them when I travel or even just want to study by a pool.

MPTPWZ1026

New

Post by MPTPWZ1026 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:44 pm

Kage3212 wrote:Anyone else thinking of transitioning from the live lecture to just watching them all online? The jokes and everything were exactly the same. Interested to hear if others are thinking about switching based on commute times, etc.
I started off with the online option, and I like it. My only lecture alternative was the same pre-recorded ones, just shown in a room at the law school. To go to those I would have to spend about an hour and a half on the road each day, so it was a pretty easy decision to forego that option. The extra hour and a half is a big bonus for me. I don't use it for extra studying, but I use it for time to do anything other than bar prep, and I think it'll be extremely helpful as we get further along and it becomes easier to feel burnt out.

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:46 pm

MPTPWZ1026 wrote:I have the Critical Pass flashcards and would highly recommend them. The Critical Pass flashcards basically mirror the Barbri lecture outlines with some additional info from the Conviser.

I've just finished Con Law (our first lecture part). For the preparation, I read through the CMR without really trying to memorize anything. I just highlighted what looked important. During the lectures, I made notes in the handouts and then my review consisted of adding any important lecture or convisor info my cards didn't have onto them. It really wasn't much at all, but mainly notations at the tops of cards for subjects that were always tested or rarely tested, etc.

I think they'll be a good review as we get further along into the actual memorization. They're also a bit more portable than a crap ton of books, so I can see myself using them when I travel or even just want to study by a pool.
Glad to see you have found these cards helpful. Mine are in the hands of USPS and expected to be delivered tomorrow.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Mon May 25, 2015 1:49 pm

I'm liking the Critical Pass cards too. Decided to go ahead and pay for them in the iPad app. I am just finishing up Crim/Crim Pro and have found them helpful in reviewing, but I didn't have them when I started that section. I think having them as I begin future topics will be really useful.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon May 25, 2015 7:25 pm

mushybrain wrote:I'm liking the Critical Pass cards too. Decided to go ahead and pay for them in the iPad app. I am just finishing up Crim/Crim Pro and have found them helpful in reviewing, but I didn't have them when I started that section. I think having them as I begin future topics will be really useful.
Checking in. I've spent my day flashcarding torts from the conviser and it seems like a bad use of time, even though I generally learn best from writing things down myself. Thinking of getting these cards instead.

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Mon May 25, 2015 7:35 pm

feeling pretty down, got 48% on the torts mbq for today. fail risk, or is barbri that much harder? :|

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:05 pm

victortsoi wrote:feeling pretty down, got 48% on the torts mbq for today. fail risk, or is barbri that much harder? :|
I really wouldn't worry about it. Just read the answer explanations and learn from them. It's still really early in the process.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”