BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:47 pm

MBE Refresher lectures, at least civ pro and con law, are a waste of time.

HTH

ETA: For clarity, I am NOT talking about the mini review lectures that you can pay extra for

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:53 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
3|ink wrote:Dumb question:

Say a third party is properly impleaded in a diversity case. Can the third party sue the underlying plaintiff (for something arising out of the same T/O) even if the third party and plaintiff are citizens of the same state? That is, the limitation for supplemental jurisdiction only applies to claims brought by the underlying plaintiff, right?
Yea
On a related note, let's say P is a Florida citizen. P sues D for negligence. D is a citizen of New York. D impleads X, alleging that X must indemnify D for the alleged negligence. X is also a citizen of New York.

X has a breach of contract claim against D on an unrelated contract. Can the Court exercise supplemental jurisdiction over X's breach of contract claim?

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:55 pm

kykiske wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:

Say a third party is properly impleaded in a diversity case. Can the third party sue the underlying plaintiff (for something arising out of the same T/O) even if the third party and plaintiff are citizens of the same state? That is, the limitation for supplemental jurisdiction only applies to claims brought by the underlying plaintiff, right?
Yea
On a related note, let's say P is a Florida citizen. P sues D for negligence. D is a citizen of New York. D impleads X, alleging that X must indemnify D for the alleged negligence. X is also a citizen of New York.

X has a breach of contract claim against D on an unrelated contract. Can the Court exercise supplemental jurisdiction over X's breach of contract claim?
If it's unrelated, the court will have to have subject matter jurisdiction over the claim. So, no, if it's a contract claim.

(I'm not 100% on that)

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:59 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
kykiske wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:

Yea

If it's unrelated, the court will have to have subject matter jurisdiction over the claim. So, no, if it's a contract claim.

(I'm not 100% on that)
I remember that the third party may counterclaim anything it wish against the party (permissive), or if it is same T/O, it must counterclaim (compulsory). The overarching rule is only Plaintiff cannot destroy diversity, everyone else can do whatever they wish. But don't quote me on it as I am merely pulling it off my memory from the abyss.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:01 pm

yea i've got no idea lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:04 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:
kykiske wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:

Yea

(I'm not 100% on that)
I remember that the third party may counterclaim anything it wish against the party (permissive), or if it is same T/O, it must counterclaim (compulsory). The overarching rule is only Plaintiff cannot destroy diversity, everyone else can do whatever they wish. But don't quote me on it as I am merely pulling it off my memory from the abyss.
But if the permissive counterclaim does not invoke either diversity or FQ jurisdiction, does supplemental jurisdiction allow subject matter jurisdiction over the unrelated permissive counterclaim?

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:08 pm

So THE BIG BOOK (civ pro pg. 61-Non-Indemnity or Non-Contribution Claims) said "if these other claims cannot invoke diversity of citizenship or federal question jurisdiction, they would also need to invoke supplemental jurisdiction."

So I guess they do need to stand on independent grounds. But this was talking about third party plaintiff may join other claims against third-party defendant. I would think a third party defendant is just treated as an ordinary defendant against an ordinary plaintiff. So whatever counterclaim rule is applicable.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:10 pm

Rule 14(a)(2)(B) TPD ... must assert any counterclaim against the TPP under 13(a) [compulsory counterclaims], and may assert any counterclaim against the TPP under rule 13(b) [permissive counterclaims]. [ETA: But yeah, you have to have SMJ in addition to proper joinder, so if not diverse and not compulsory, you'll want to look at that too. It's hard to imagine a case where you'd have supp jdxn on an unrelated K claim, but I guess it's possible.]

And in answer to the question above about TPP -> original P:
Rule 14(a)(2)(D) TPD . . . may also assert against the P any claim arising out of the T/O that is the subject matter of P's claim against TPP.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:12 pm

kyle010723 wrote:So THE BIG BOOK (civ pro pg. 61-Non-Indemnity or Non-Contribution Claims) said "if these other claims cannot invoke diversity of citizenship or federal question jurisdiction, they would also need to invoke supplemental jurisdiction."

So I guess they do need to stand on independent grounds. But this was talking about third party plaintiff may join other claims against third-party defendant. I would think a third party defendant is just treated as an ordinary defendant against an ordinary plaintiff. So whatever counterclaim rule is applicable.
So, it's possible that the third-party claim could join any claim against the third-party defendant, even those that do not have independent subject matter jurisdiction grounds under supplemental jurisdiction rules; but the third-party defendant must establish independent grounds for subject matter jurisdiction over claims that it brings against the third-party plaintiff?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:13 pm

kykiske wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:
kykiske wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:

Yea

(I'm not 100% on that)
But if the permissive counterclaim does not invoke either diversity or FQ jurisdiction, does supplemental jurisdiction allow subject matter jurisdiction over the unrelated permissive counterclaim?
There always has to be a basis for SMJ (or supp) for every single claim asserted by anyone against anyone.

Yes, the TPD can assert this as a permissive counterclaim, but there still needs to be SMJ over that claim. So, if there's no complete diversity, and no FQ, then you need to look at supplemental jurisdiction. If the claim doesn't arise out of a CNOF as the underlying claim, then you're out of luck. Note that it's possible for a claim not to arise out of the same T/O but still be part of the same CNOF, but who knows what kind of claims would actually fill that gap. Probably claims that arise from the same piece of property.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:17 pm

musicfor18 wrote: There always has to be a basis for SMJ (or supp) for every single claim asserted by anyone against anyone.

Yes, the TPD can assert this as a permissive counterclaim, but there still needs to be SMJ over that claim. So, if there's no complete diversity, and no FQ, then you need to look at supplemental jurisdiction. If the claim doesn't arise out of a CNOF as the underlying claim, then you're out of luck. Note that it's possible for a claim not to arise out of the same T/O but still be part of the same CNOF, but who knows what kind of claims would actually fill that gap. Probably claims that arise from the same piece of property.
I think this is correct. If we treat TPD and TPP as just ordinary P and D. A permissive counter claim must have independent jurisdiction basis.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:19 pm

Woo!

we figured something out

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:20 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:Woo!

we figured something out
haha, can we go back to the regularly scheduled complain about Barbri now?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:20 pm

kyle010723 wrote:

we figured something out
YES

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:35 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:

we figured something out
YES
Barbri's teaching of state subjects is such a flame compared to all the tools it provides for the MBE subjects. The lectures are not comprehensive, and the assessment quizzes are a joke.

Also, here's how Barbri explains final review:

"FINAL REVIEW
The Final Review is designed to have you review the law quickly and work additional questions and essays. During the final review you will cycle through all subjects and practice outlining additional essays and answering additional MPQ questions. The most important component of the final review is the substantive law review, memorization, and essay/question practice."

What??? Paraphrase: "Final Review consists of X, Y, and Z. The most important components of the Final Review are X, Y, and Z."

Neff

Bronze

Post by Neff » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:45 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:

we figured something out
YES
Barbri's teaching of state subjects is such a flame compared to all the tools it provides for the MBE subjects. The lectures are not comprehensive, and the assessment quizzes are a joke.
True, but think of it another way. If their state materials were more comprehensive, it would actually be bad for us because more people would be prepared and the standards for passing would be higher. Right now, no one really knows what the f they are doing and so most good faith attempts will be passing. Just imagine if Barbri's state materials were as comprehensive as MBE stuff, we'd all be freaking out about the amount of work, etc, etc. Better to let sleeping dogs lie.

ArmyOfficer

New

Post by ArmyOfficer » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:00 pm

Does anyone else get the impression that the essays are information dumps?

In my jurisdiction, the BLE has released sample essay answers, which Barbri has provided to us. It seems like what they are looking for is information dumps and in many cases they are not even really responsive to the questions asked.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kmp127

New

Post by kmp127 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:31 pm

BVest wrote:
jamescastle wrote:Concerning Texas and the "Trusts or Guardianship" essay:

What are the odds on favorite? Has it been guardianship the last three years? I think Johanson said so but I'm unsure if that included whatever was tested in February 2015 or not.
Feb was guardianship. See Question 11.

http://www.ble.state.tx.us/pdfs/Past%20 ... Feb_PM.pdf
Doing TX procedure all day today and about half of the questions are easy gimmes, but the other half require knowing something really particular that isn't intuitive from knowing fed civ or crim pro. struggled... but thinking ok, at worst i'll get 5% knocked out. i think I can deal with that.

I even paid barbri for that extra procedure lecture (SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not worth it)

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:32 pm

Am I missing something or is the NY practice handout way too detailed? (its 89 pages)

The handout is insanely specific with many many details that seem to be unnecessary for the essays
in any case, there is no way I can memorize all of this stuff and the practice questions are like "Was there PJ?" "Was the court correct in granting the Motion to Dismiss for Failure to State a Claim?"

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:40 pm

Watching these lectures at 1.5x is so credited.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:41 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:Watching these lectures at 1.5x is so credited.
2x is also manageable depends on the lecturer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:43 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
Doesn't seem possible with Sambito. She is awful. Everything is "X is the best, most correct answer choice."

MOST CORRECT omg

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:44 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:
Doesn't seem possible with Sambito. She is awful. Everything is "X is the best, most correct answer choice."

MOST CORRECT omg
Don't think I have Sambito, but Guzman was quite entertaining at 2x.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:46 pm

Watched every video at 2x. It was never a problem. Just gotta use the PDF lecture handouts instead of the written ones.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:46 pm

Sambito is one of the refresher lecturers (first time I've seen her). She does contracts, crim, and con law and it is bad.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”