BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Ludacrispat26

Bronze

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by Ludacrispat26 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:49 pm

We get scrap paper for the essays, right? New York here.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:58 pm

Is there a difference between a judge instructing a jury that a defendant has to prove adequate provocation (murder) by a preponderance of the evidence OR that defendant must show by a fair preponderance of the evidence that the killing was committed in sudden provocation?

I thought if the burden was placed on the defendant it was violation of Due Process but Emanual has an answer choice where the latter is permitted. Is the latter distinguishable from the former in that it only requires producing evidence to rebut? Anyone have any ideas?

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:01 pm

Does anyone else feel like there are certain essay questions that they can bs easier?

For instance, take a torts question.

"Yeah, you know there's like this one negligent dude. And he was being all negligent when he hit this guy. Pretty sure his negligence caused the other guy's injuries (see Cardozo)."

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:03 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:Is there a difference between a judge instructing a jury that a defendant has to prove adequate provocation (murder) by a preponderance of the evidence OR that defendant must show by a fair preponderance of the evidence that the killing was committed in sudden provocation?

I thought if the burden was placed on the defendant it was violation of Due Process but Emanual has an answer choice where the latter is permitted. Is the latter distinguishable from the former in that it only requires producing evidence to rebut? Anyone have any ideas?
If it is an element of the offense, the burden CANNOT be on the defendant, i.e. reasonable doubt. If it is an affirmative defense, then Defendant must prove by a preponderance of evidence.

I.e. for Murder:
Defendant cannot be asked to prove he had no intent, that is the prosecutor's burden.
But Defendant must prove an affirmative defense such as Self-Defense by a preponderance of evidence

Edited to take out insanity, baddd example... and the bar is driving me insane.
Last edited by kyle010723 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:04 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:Is there a difference between a judge instructing a jury that a defendant has to prove adequate provocation (murder) by a preponderance of the evidence OR that defendant must show by a fair preponderance of the evidence that the killing was committed in sudden provocation?

If it is an element of the offense, the burden CANNOT be on the defendant, i.e. reasonable doubt. If it is an affirmative defense, then Defendant must prove by a preponderance of evidence.

I.e. for Murder:
Defendant cannot be asked to prove he had no intent, that is the prosecutor's burden.
But Defendant MUST prove Self-Defense or Insanity by a preponderance of evidence
Gotcha. I thought insanity was clear and convincing?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:05 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:

I.e. for Murder:
But Defendant MUST prove Self-Defense or Insanity by a preponderance of evidence
Gotcha. I thought insanity was clear and convincing?
Oh, maybe. I just know the difference is an element of offense vs. affirmative defense. Maybe insanity is different.

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:07 pm

kyle010723 wrote:

I.e. for Murder:
The answer here is about the burden on D is correct. But the last party about the D "MUST" prove the defense is not entirely correct. This is because some jx may not even recognize insanity as a defense. So you cant really say that the D MUST prove that by a preponderance, or any other standard really. The court is allowed to (and the legislature is permitted) to allow that defense in the jx, but there is no obligation that they are absolutely required to do so.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:08 pm

Fuck it. What you've told me is enough.

I think I'm going to take tomorrow afternoon/evening off completely before I rage before the exam. This is getting taxing.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:08 pm

Kage3212 wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:

I.e. for Murder:
The answer here is about the burden on D is correct. But the last party about the D "MUST" prove the defense is not entirely correct. This is because some jx may not even recognize insanity as a defense. So you cant really say that the D MUST prove that by a preponderance, or any other standard really. The court is allowed to (and the legislature is permitted) to allow that defense in the jx, but there is no obligation that they are absolutely required to do so.
Yea, insanity was a bad example. Sorry.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:10 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:Fuck it. What you've told me is enough.

I think I'm going to take tomorrow afternoon/evening off completely before I rage before the exam. This is getting taxing.
Did a mixed set this morning. Trying to "learn" commercial paper/secured transaction right now but nothing is sticking :?

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:11 pm

kyle010723 wrote:

Did a mixed set this morning. Trying to "learn" commercial paper/secured transaction right now but nothing is sticking :?
PMSI's are kewl. Something about attachment. You should probs perfect your security interest. Thx.

LSL

Gold

Post by LSL » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:12 pm

Something that has kind of been confusing me: I know voluntary intoxication negates the specific intent element of SI crimes and for crimes like murder it takes muder down to involuntary manslaughter.

But...what does a crime down-grade to if it's some specific intent crime like robbery? I can't imagine someone gets to say, "LOL, sorry I robbed you. But I was drunk though, so it's all good and I'm off the hook." I am just blanking/not able to figure out what it would be instead (sorry, might be obvious). Does it become battery maybe?

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:14 pm

kykiske wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:

PMSI's are kewl. Something about attachment. You should probs perfect your security interest. Thx.
Something about personal use v. commercial use and different ways to perfect or to attach or something...

Just ask me how to perfect the interest on a batmobile and we're fine...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:17 pm

TLS wrote:Something that has kind of been confusing me: I know voluntary intoxication negates the specific intent element of SI crimes and for crimes like murder it takes muder down to involuntary manslaughter.

But...what does a crime down-grade to if it's some specific intent crime like robbery? I can't imagine someone gets to say, "LOL, sorry I robbed you. But I was drunk though, so it's all good and I'm off the hook." I am just blanking/not able to figure out what it would be instead (sorry, might be obvious). Does it become battery maybe?
If a defendant has no specific intent, then he is not guilty right? Murder and homicide are different because there are different levels of manslaughter and degrees.

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:17 pm

TLS wrote:Something that has kind of been confusing me: I know voluntary intoxication negates the specific intent element of SI crimes and for crimes like murder it takes muder down to involuntary manslaughter.

I'm guessing that it would involve your state's criminal code. For example, Ohio has assault, negligent assault, aggravated assault, felonious assault. I'm thinking with robbery it might knock down the degree of the felony.
Last edited by charlesxavier on Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xChiTowNx

Bronze

Post by xChiTowNx » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:21 pm

I've hit the point that I stumbled upon some decent quizlet outlines. I may have done some Mr.Robot-level internet sleuthing to figure out if the user passed my state's bar (they did) 8)

errmsg

New

Post by errmsg » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:23 pm

For those of you who have done the MBE Sample Test Questions, can someone please explain the answers to Questions 1, 3 and 18? I don't want to spoil the questions for those of you that haven't tried them yet so I'll limit the details.
[+] Spoiler
These were the questions about the dad scared of the crackhead son, residency requirement for public education, and the K modification question.
Thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LSL

Gold

Post by LSL » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:24 pm

Ahhh okay thanks both of you. Yeah, I think most of the questions I come across that test on it come in the form of, "If (drunk at time of the crime) D is tried for robbery, will they be convicted" and the answer is just "No, because they did not have the requisite intent for robbery." Unless the "liquid courage" thing applies. Which is cool enough, but yeah the various state code levels of negligence, other crimes etc. for crimes besides murder makes sense. Probably not tested on the MBE, but good to know just in case.
Last edited by LSL on Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:26 pm

I think the problem is that practically speaking, it would be impossible to convince a jury you unintentionally robbed someone, whereas it's totally possible to unintentionally kill someone.

LSL

Gold

Post by LSL » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:37 pm

Maybe, but (unless I'm categorizing it) I can think of enough situations where someone could conceivably get drunk, want money, have a gun, and things get dumb pretty quick. Not to pick on the homeless, but maybe for example, a homeless guy with a alcohol abuse problem robs someone with a gun and wouldn't have sober? But yeah, I think this makes sense why murder is much more tested as it's cleaner to envision/seems more universal in law
Last edited by LSL on Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:39 pm

errmsg wrote:For those of you who have done the MBE Sample Test Questions, can someone please explain the answers to Questions 1, 3 and 18? I don't want to spoil the questions for those of you that haven't tried them yet so I'll limit the details.
[+] Spoiler
These were the questions about the dad scared of the crackhead son, residency requirement for public education, and the K modification question.
Thanks.
[+] Spoiler
1. There was enough evidence to support a self-defense claim. See the fact in the question. I guess I didn't think any other option came close

3. Treated out of state and in-state differently, thus violated the equal protection clause. This was very similar to Refresher Q98

18. Because that is the view of the Second Restatement. See Mixed Set 3 Question 12

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:43 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:

I think the problem is that practically speaking, it would be impossible to convince a jury you unintentionally robbed someone, whereas it's totally possible to unintentionally kill someone.
Just remember Guzman's Nine Stages of Drunkenness. Voluntary intoxication is a defense to negate specific intent, but you must be at stage 8 or 9 for that defense to be even viable...

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:43 pm

TLS wrote:Maybe, but (unless I'm categorizing it) I can think of enough situations where someone could conceivably get drunk, want money, have a gun, and things get dumb pretty quick. Not to pick on the homeless, but maybe for example, a homeless guy with a alcohol abuse problem robs someone with a gun and wouldn't have sober? But yeah, I think this makes sense why murder is much more tested as it's cleaner to envision/seems more universal in law
yeah I think in most states they'll nail you with something, but I guess in 1600's England the robber might have gotten away with it so its important we understand how that works lol

LSL

Gold

Post by LSL » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:47 pm

:lol: Both good points to remember, thanks guys. And yeah re: 1600's England, I can't remember who said, "Just do burglary during the day, bro." But I laughed so hard at that.

cdelgado

Bronze

Post by cdelgado » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:49 pm

Those sample civ pro questions from NCBE were tough.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”