BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Outis Onoma

Bronze

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by Outis Onoma » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:57 am

Barbri really dropped the ball with the torts lectures. I haven't had to read the CMR once because I've done fine on all of the MBEs just doing the lecture handouts. I had Klein for torts, who has lecture handouts. Did horrendous on the torts diagnostic and had to waste part of today reading the torts CMR. Did well on the Torts workshop and sets 1/2 after that.

Edit: Reading the CMR set me back even further on the schedule, though.

jamescastle

Bronze

Post by jamescastle » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:18 am

3|ink wrote:I still haven't had the balls to attempt one essay. I promised myself I'd try one this weekend but I spent all day today trying to absorb this week's materials. I barely had time for 1 set of MBE questions this evening.
I've only done one (open book) essay too. You're not alone.

jamescastle

Bronze

Post by jamescastle » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:20 am

Outis Onoma wrote:Edit: Reading the CMR set me back even further on the schedule, though.
I justify this in that I feel reading the CMR really lets it sink in though. Then I feel more confident and I think I'll be reviewing it less come July.

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:43 am

I've decided that really understanding the materials is more important than being on schedule... but I've also been skipping MPQs to front load lectures, so maybe I've just sort of adopted the program to me more than others. But I am 3-4 days behind and okay with that as I have been doing way better on understanding and remembering since I've done this approach.

Learned Throw Hands

New

Post by Learned Throw Hands » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:26 am

Percentile Rank so far:

Prop: 20%
Con Law: 27%
K: 32%
Ev: 54%
Torts: 64%

Can't tell if I'm fucked or sort of on pace. Still need to do Civ Pro and Crim.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:25 am

cdelgado wrote:So I am trying to keep up with Barbri's schedule, which means completing the essays when assigned. My state focuses heavily on the essays as compared to the MBE.

Because I do not have the law completely memorized, I am missing some of the elements of the causes of action on the essays (still spotting the issues). Is that normal at this time? Or should I have this down by now? The fact that I'm missing parts of the elements is concerning me.
For my state the MBE is worth 1/3 while the state essays are worth 1/2. I'm doing the barbri essays but my answers are somewhat limited by my lack of complete memorization. I'm not worried. Issue spotting is probably more important at this point. My goal is to stay on track with barbri's schedule so that by early July I can focus primarily on memorization and essays. Sure, I've memorized some stuff but between the 3.5 hour lectures, assessments, MPQs, and workshops it's not like there's a ton of time to drill the critical pass flashcards.

cdelgado

Bronze

Post by cdelgado » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:02 am

charlesxavier wrote:
cdelgado wrote:So I am trying to keep up with Barbri's schedule, which means completing the essays when assigned. My state focuses heavily on the essays as compared to the MBE.

Because I do not have the law completely memorized, I am missing some of the elements of the causes of action on the essays (still spotting the issues). Is that normal at this time? Or should I have this down by now? The fact that I'm missing parts of the elements is concerning me.
For my state the MBE is worth 1/3 while the state essays are worth 1/2. I'm doing the barbri essays but my answers are somewhat limited by my lack of complete memorization. I'm not worried. Issue spotting is probably more important at this point. My goal is to stay on track with barbri's schedule so that by early July I can focus primarily on memorization and essays. Sure, I've memorized some stuff but between the 3.5 hour lectures, assessments, MPQs, and workshops it's not like there's a ton of time to drill the critical pass flashcards.
Good to hear that we are in the same boat (along with the other poster a few pages back). My state also uses the same grading scale. Hopefully going through the motions is sufficient now and the memorization will come later.

doberry

New

Post by doberry » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:51 pm

Does anyone know the Barbri essay predictions for the California July 2015 Bar exam

murray18

Bronze

Post by murray18 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:59 pm

Learned Throw Hands wrote:Percentile Rank so far:

I don't know if you would pass the MBE if you took it today, but thats not the point. Somebody posted a link a few days ago to an article that might be reassuring. The TLDR is that if you are above the 30% on test day you should be good to pass in most states. Granted, our percentile rankings at this point are compared to a bunch of other people that also haven't done the July cramming quite yet, but that have been gung-ho enough to stay on pace with Barbri. At least among my friends, there are a bunch of folks that are way behind on the study plan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:02 pm

Learned Throw Hands wrote:Percentile Rank so far:

Honestly, the only one that I'd be concerned about is Con Law. Based on everything I've heard it supposed to be one of the easiest, if not the easiest, subject on the MBE. However, it's definitely not my best subject but it's one that you can vastly improve just by memorizing the big rules.

Backpacker

New

Post by Backpacker » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:04 pm

cdelgado wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:

Good to hear that we are in the same boat (along with the other poster a few pages back). My state also uses the same grading scale. Hopefully going through the motions is sufficient now and the memorization will come later.
Same boat. I've been doing the essays open book and typing out my answers, and then the model answers, and then consolidating rule statements (copy/paste) into another document.I think that should help later memorizing the exact rules that the BE have used in years past.

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:39 pm

Backpacker wrote:
cdelgado wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:

Same boat. I've been doing the essays open book and typing out my answers, and then the model answers, and then consolidating rule statements (copy/paste) into another document.I think that should help later memorizing the exact rules that the BE have used in years past.

This is exactly my problem, and I wonder if doing it your way might help. I've just not been doing the closed book essays, but decided to do an assignmed one in my best subject, criminal law. I figured out the answer, but in writing out the rules, I would usually leave out half the elements of the applicable rule. Again, in law school, its something I feel I would have gotten full credit for, but not on the bar. Its hard to quite put my finger on the problem. (NY btw)

sewei08

New

Post by sewei08 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:17 pm

I'm so frustrated w/ BarBri model answers and generally how the Bar grades essay questions. They literally want you to write every single rule that may apply even if it's obvious it doesn't apply. Like, why do I have to state the rules for nonpublic forums and limited public forums when it is obvious that the forum is public in regards to First Amendment speech? It's so frustrating.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ineedhelpplease

Bronze

Post by Ineedhelpplease » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:36 pm

I just went through the property lecture outline with the critical pass cards and for the most part they were on point. I added in my notes from the course. It took so much time and at this point I have really steered away from the psp. I have condensed outlines from friends who took Barbri. With 5 weeks to go, I think it might be too late to get back onto the Barbri plan.

Oh and I haven't touched an essay yet. I have been listening to the MP3 from the Seperac site.

Happy Father's Day 8)

sewei08

New

Post by sewei08 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:55 pm

Ineedhelpplease wrote:I just went through the property lecture outline with the critical pass cards and for the most part they were on point. I added in my notes from the course. It took so much time and at this point I have really steered away from the psp. I have condensed outlines from friends who took Barbri. With 5 weeks to go, I think it might be too late to get back onto the Barbri plan.

Oh and I haven't touched an essay yet. I have been listening to the MP3 from the Seperac site.

Happy Father's Day 8)
Do you use the critical pass cards in lieu for the CMR or do you read the CMR as well prior to the lecture?

sewei08

New

Post by sewei08 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:58 pm

Ineedhelpplease wrote:I just went through the property lecture outline with the critical pass cards and for the most part they were on point. I added in my notes from the course. It took so much time and at this point I have really steered away from the psp. I have condensed outlines from friends who took Barbri. With 5 weeks to go, I think it might be too late to get back onto the Barbri plan.

Happy Father's Day 8)
Also, I'm so far behind ob Barbri but I'm on top of the lectures. But yeah, I don't know how some of my friends are caught up on Barbri. I'm like 5 days behind in terms of assignment. At the very least, I try to keep up w/ the lectures.

Ineedhelpplease

Bronze

Post by Ineedhelpplease » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:05 pm

sewei08 wrote:

Happy Father's Day 8)
Also, I'm so far behind ob Barbri but I'm on top of the lectures. But yeah, I don't know how some of my friends are caught up on Barbri. I'm like 5 days behind in terms of assignment. At the very least, I try to keep up w/ the lectures.
5 days. I haven't even counted how much I am behind (hoping for days), I have kept up with the lectures. I got chewed out by a friend who told me I am trying to make my own program, I should just stick to Barbri. But with 5 weeks to go, I don't know if thats possible.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ineedhelpplease

Bronze

Post by Ineedhelpplease » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:10 pm

sewei08 wrote:

Happy Father's Day 8)
Do you use the critical pass cards in lieu for the CMR or do you read the CMR as well prior to the lecture?
I just got them delivered to me. So I just had the chance to go over them with my finished property lecture outline. I haven't touched the CMR since the first week of Barbri. I am hoping to review the con law cards the con law lecture I have tomorrow.

Other then placing New York distinctions on them, anything more seems like a big time waster.

sewei08

New

Post by sewei08 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:53 pm

Ineedhelpplease wrote:
sewei08 wrote:

Happy Father's Day 8)
5 days. I haven't even counted how much I am behind (hoping for days), I have kept up with the lectures. I got chewed out by a friend who told me I am trying to make my own program, I should just stick to Barbri. But with 5 weeks to go, I don't know if thats possible.
Yeah. I mean I've read on here that it's impossible to keep up w/ the assignments BarBri assigns but that it's important to keep up w/ the lectures. Also, it seems like the doing the essays closed book is close to useless so I just follow the advice TLS gives (read the model answer and memorize and then write the answer closed book.)

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:44 pm

LOL I still have assignments due from back in May. Mostly the shit assignments though.

I said it once and I'll say it again. The biggest flaw with the barbri system is that they factor way too little time for us to absorb the material. Maybe they think the lecture handouts are good for review on their own? They're not. I have to make my own outline every time.

kmp127

New

Post by kmp127 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:16 pm

Got the critical pass cards, have only gotten thru half of one subject so far... after condensing all the lectures and then trying to figure out how to rmbr all the info ON TOP OF all the barbri assigned problems and essays, there is no way i'll have time to use them efficiently. gonna stick to my condensed outlines and pray.

anyone want them, pretty much untouched, i'll mail them to you half price! message me

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Neff

Bronze

Post by Neff » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:35 pm

Last edited by Neff on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cdelgado

Bronze

Post by cdelgado » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:55 pm

So I guess I'm a little clueless on one aspect. Why is it advantageous to read the model answers/complete the essay open book?

My approach has been to complete it closed book so far.

old_soul

Bronze

Post by old_soul » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:01 pm

Random q, I was reviewing some of the questions from the Feb exam for my state. Is it safe to say that those particular essay subtopics won't be repeated in July?

jamescastle

Bronze

Post by jamescastle » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:14 pm

cdelgado wrote:So I guess I'm a little clueless on one aspect. Why is it advantageous to read the model answers/complete the essay open book?

My approach has been to complete it closed book so far.
I think so you don't get frustrated not knowing what to write down, especially for your first gos at essays.
Eventually you'd want to move to closed book when you feel more comfortable; so if you feel comfortable already and aren't getting frustrated for missing the little nit-picky stuff BARBRI always has in the model answers, then stick with what you're doing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”