BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:52 pm

Outis Onoma wrote:Was really worried for crim law and crim pro when the 50 year old prof started talking in Dr. Evil and Austin Powers voices. Crushed the MBE problems despite not knowing any answers.
At least his voices are over quick, unlike Franceze's 10-minute elocution safaris in Property.

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:14 pm

kmp127 wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:
kmp127 wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:I don't understand wills at all, the lecturer and his handout were awful. Trying to do the graded essay now and even open book have no idea what I'm doing. Is anyone else in TX having problems with it? Any suggestions? Reading through the big reference book and CMR and still just not getting it.
OMG I felt the SAME WAY!!! I cannot believe how awful those lecture handouts were --- no rules anywhere! Just a bunch of hypos mostly for exceptions to the exceptions -- when the basic rule is nowhere to be found (who takes under Intestacy Succession?? Beats me!!!) I'm bitter, can you tell? I was so frustrated doing that essay.

Do you have a game plan on learning Wills? I just want a breakdown of the basic rules and definitions....
Did you have Beyer? I thought Wills and Trusts were disasters, and I took them in school too!
No it was Johanson and he was all over the place :(
How are you planning to study the subject?

kmp127

New

Post by kmp127 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:46 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:
kmp127 wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:
kmp127 wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:I don't understand wills at all, the lecturer and his handout were awful. Trying to do the graded essay now and even open book have no idea what I'm doing. Is anyone else in TX having problems with it? Any suggestions? Reading through the big reference book and CMR and still just not getting it.
OMG I felt the SAME WAY!!! I cannot believe how awful those lecture handouts were --- no rules anywhere! Just a bunch of hypos mostly for exceptions to the exceptions -- when the basic rule is nowhere to be found (who takes under Intestacy Succession?? Beats me!!!) I'm bitter, can you tell? I was so frustrated doing that essay.

Do you have a game plan on learning Wills? I just want a breakdown of the basic rules and definitions....
Did you have Beyer? I thought Wills and Trusts were disasters, and I took them in school too!
No it was Johanson and he was all over the place :(
How are you planning to study the subject?
I made flash cards and went for the rule to the specific CMR section where the lecture handout was lacking or confusing. I completely avoided parts of the CMR that were not part of the lecture because, well, the line has to be drawn somewhere right.

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:55 pm

Plenty of lines to be drawn!

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:58 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Outis Onoma wrote:Was really worried for crim law and crim pro when the 50 year old prof started talking in Dr. Evil and Austin Powers voices. Crushed the MBE problems despite not knowing any answers.
At least his voices are over quick, unlike Franceze's 10-minute elocution safaris in Property.
She needs to stop singing. Forever.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:18 pm

Killingly wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Despite the hate, I certainly will not forget that an easement appurtenant "takes two," baby.

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:22 pm

Kage3212 wrote:
Killingly wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Despite the hate, I certainly will not forget that an easement appurtenant "takes two," baby.
Maybe it was because I was watching at 1.5x speed, but she sounded legitimately psychotic.

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:55 pm

Have you watched Agency yet?

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:08 am

Finally checking in. Have A LOT of catching up to do after a busy first month of summer. Sitting at 10% completed. Anyone else in the same boat?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

diowad

New

Post by diowad » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:16 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:Anybody else getting extremely frustrated at the MPQs? It seems like more often than not I'll know the law and what they're trying to ask, but I get the question wrong because of some arbitrary determination I couldn't possibly have predicted. Half the time I don't feel like they're testing me on the law so much as whether I can read the question writer's mind. When I get questions wrong, I don't find myself saying "oh, that makes sense, good to know for next time." It's usually more along the lines of "what the fuck, that's fucking bullshit."
The Happy Gilmore tirade when he first joins the pro tour and the TV station has to bleep all his cuss words after he whiffs his swing. Perfect analogy for how I feel missing multiple choice questions.

Neff

Bronze

Post by Neff » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:56 am

Last edited by Neff on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:01 am

Neff wrote:TX here. I've been procrastinating on doing my assigned practice essays so bad. Is it a terrible idea to focus on MBEs for now and start prepping for essays in July, or is that too late? I'm keeping up with all the videos, of course, including the state subjects.
This is exactly what I'm doing. I learn the law much better by going through the MBE question explanations. For some reason the lectures and outlines don't sink in too well for me. I figure it's a better use of my time to do the essays once I actually know the BLL cold than to type aimlessly for 45 minutes at this point in the process.

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:05 am

Neff wrote:TX here. I've been procrastinating on doing my assigned practice essays so bad. Is it a terrible idea to focus on MBEs for now and start prepping for essays in July, or is that too late? I'm keeping up with all the videos, of course, including the state subjects.
Ive done all graded essays to date, but like you, have slacked a bit on outlining my essays. I have 3 overdue outlining assignments (been doing Adaptibar questions in conjunction with the Emmanuel books). However, writing essays and outlining will only help reinforce points of law and will force you to think them out and type them up. So I would say to do at least a few, and to not neglect essays entirely at this point. Its tough to do, specifically when topics are those such as wills and trusts and what not. Pain is gain I suppose.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jamescastle

Bronze

Post by jamescastle » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:53 am

Kage3212 wrote:
Ive done all graded essays to date, but like you, have slacked a bit on outlining my essays. I have 3 overdue outlining assignments (been doing Adaptibar questions in conjunction with the Emmanuel books). However, writing essays and outlining will only help reinforce points of law and will force you to think them out and type them up. So I would say to do at least a few, and to not neglect essays entirely at this point. Its tough to do, specifically when topics are those such as wills and trusts and what not. Pain is gain I suppose.
How much help are you using when you outline/write the essays? Looking at the CMR or anything?
For me, I know sitting down and trying to do a 30 minute or even an hour essay would lead to frustration if I wasn't giving myself any aides. I'm definitely still at the "look at the model answer to know how to write anything well" stage. I'm in Texas and we've had one graded essay (the other was due today but I'll get it done this weekend) and I scored only a 15 on it so I know I need essay work.
Just curious as to how people are studying and preparing for essays so far.

ditch digger

Bronze

Post by ditch digger » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:57 am

myrtlewinston wrote:Have you watched Agency yet?
Professor Kaufman's lecture is awesome.

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:17 am

jamescastle wrote:
Kage3212 wrote:
How much help are you using when you outline/write the essays? Looking at the CMR or anything?
For me, I know sitting down and trying to do a 30 minute or even an hour essay would lead to frustration if I wasn't giving myself any aides. I'm definitely still at the "look at the model answer to know how to write anything well" stage. I'm in Texas and we've had one graded essay (the other was due today but I'll get it done this weekend) and I scored only a 15 on it so I know I need essay work.
Just curious as to how people are studying and preparing for essays so far.
I use the outlines or the lecture notes in constructing the rule elements of the responses. Obviously I need to work on memorizing those, but as with everyone else, when you are learning a ton of subjects it is hard to do that. Given that our time for essay completion on some assignments is "1.5" hours, I think they expect you to pull rules from your notes and what not.

There is an essay post in this forum that suggests reading essays, reading answers, and then retyping that answer as a form of muscle memory to cement rules. This may be effective, but I haven't gone that far yet. When outlining (ungraded essays), I have attempted to spout out some semblance of a rule, and after doing that with all issues in the outline, I will go back and compare that to the actual rule found in notes/model answers. I certainly do not mean to suggest that I can spout out rule statements at this point for essays, that would be some major memory skills with everything else that is being crammed into my skull at this point.

cdelgado

Bronze

Post by cdelgado » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:23 am

Could Thai not go 200MPH for ConLaw?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ineedhelpplease

Bronze

Post by Ineedhelpplease » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:42 am

Anybody putting off the MPT workshop lecture (assigned today) off for later. At 4 hours it takes away a big chunk of time. I purchased critical pass (app), if anybody else is finding success with them, advice would be greatly appreciated. I tried to write it out on my own index cards but seems to take out so much time (price of physical cards is $50 more than app).

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:39 am

Ineedhelpplease wrote:Anybody putting off the MPT workshop lecture (assigned today) off for later. At 4 hours it takes away a big chunk of time.

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well.
Ours was scheduled earlier, so I did it then. A solid 45 minutes of it is actually starting a practice MPT (reading, outlining, and starting writing -- that you will finish writing later, so it's not like it's a 4-hour lecture. I actually found it pretty useful even though I'm the type of person who usually finds writing workshops to be completely worthless (actually the Texas essay writing workshop was also good after the first 20 minutes).

And it didn't take 4 hours as I was able to watch at 1.5 or 1.75. (Be sure to slow it back down for countdown clocks -- or just stop the video and use a real clock).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

mtyler19

Bronze

Post by mtyler19 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:06 am

kmp127 wrote:

Exactly! And that's what I want, too. I have no idea what I'm going to do, maybe try to read through the sample answers in the TXT book and try to pick them from there? ugh. Its the same way for trusts and estate & guardianship, I feel screwed for all of them

michael2015

New

Post by michael2015 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:26 pm

Does anyone have a filled out version of the MPT workshop outline...PM Me?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dwyf

Bronze

Post by dwyf » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:26 pm

Stolen from reddit: MRW I see today's Barbi motivational picture: http://i.imgur.com/kWIqeqH.jpg

I almost died I laughed so hard.

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:32 pm

Yeah I was dumbfounded that they thought that pic was inspirational/motivational.

lawschool_2014

New

Post by lawschool_2014 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:03 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:Finally checking in. Have A LOT of catching up to do after a busy first month of summer. Sitting at 10% completed. Anyone else in the same boat?
I am only 9% through.

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:03 pm

ditch digger wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:Have you watched Agency yet?
Professor Kaufman's lecture is awesome.
He drummed everything in.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”