BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jamescastle

Bronze

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by jamescastle » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:16 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:I can't see the comments on my essay, even though I've updated Adobe as the Barbri tech suggested. Does anyone have any suggestions?
:?:
My first essay came back as a word doc with comments.
I submitted as a pdf. My review came back as a pdf with sticky comments and highlights and then a box at the end with overall comments.

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:22 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Do the mnemonics help anyone? I am no more likely to remember CCC BoND in connection with strict products liability (and what each letter stands for) than I am to just remember the list of things it's supposed to help me remember.
No. Like another poster said, I do use BRAKES and MIMIC, and that's about it. I know BARRK is one of them because of that funny guy who kept saying it in the MBE Crim Law Workshop video, but I can never remember what it's used for (Burglary, Arson, Robbery, Rape, Kidnapping, but what is the relevance of this list?)

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:25 pm

Property MBE makes me so hopeless. I really suck at it...big time. Getting only 30%-40% correct. Do you think it is possible to still get a decent MBE score considering I score within 65%-80% (by that i mean the % of correct answers) on all other subjects. Whenever I see a property question, I am about to cry. Hate this subject and hated it even when was a 1L (not that it matters to bar examiners. lol).

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:27 pm

jamescastle wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
myrtlewinston wrote:I can't see the comments on my essay, even though I've updated Adobe as the Barbri tech suggested. Does anyone have any suggestions?
:?:
My first essay came back as a word doc with comments.
I submitted as a pdf. My review came back as a pdf with sticky comments and highlights and then a box at the end with overall comments.
So did I! I called tech support. The guy e-mailed it to me as an attachment. Useful comments this time.

murray18

Bronze

Post by murray18 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:29 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Do the mnemonics help anyone? I am no more likely to remember CCC BoND in connection with strict products liability (and what each letter stands for) than I am to just remember the list of things it's supposed to help me remember.
I agree with you for the most part, but I do use MIMIC and MY LEGS (for statute of frauds). I also remember the dumb "it takes two" thing for easements appurtenant.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:30 pm

Comparing my commercial paper lecture notes to the CMR. WTF? I know the lecturers like to gloss over things, but holy hell Paula.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:35 pm

EvelynS wrote:Property MBE makes me so hopeless. I really suck at it...big time. Getting only 30%-40% correct. Do you think it is possible to still get a decent MBE score considering I score within 65%-80% (by that i mean the % of correct answers) on all other subjects. Whenever I see a property question, I am about to cry. Hate this subject and hated it even when was a 1L (not that it matters to bar examiners. lol).
If you are scoring like that on MBE do not sweat property. You will be fine. Focus on state specific stuff.

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:53 pm

For NY essays, is the score raw or scaled?

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:06 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:For NY essays, is the score raw or scaled?
If someone can explain how the ny score is calculated (total score) I'd appreciate it very much.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:23 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
EvelynS wrote:Property MBE makes me so hopeless. I really suck at it...big time. Getting only 30%-40% correct. Do you think it is possible to still get a decent MBE score considering I score within 65%-80% (by that i mean the % of correct answers) on all other subjects. Whenever I see a property question, I am about to cry. Hate this subject and hated it even when was a 1L (not that it matters to bar examiners. lol).
If you are scoring like that on MBE do not sweat property. You will be fine. Focus on state specific stuff.
What kind of a state are you taking in?

I'm in a similar boat, but I'm going to keep plugging away at property. Since it's fair game on the MEE and is a significant part of the MBE, I think it's worth the effort. Try to focus on the particular areas that are giving you the most trouble. For me, all of them are, haha, but I definitely have the biggest problem with present and future interests. The past couple days I've devoted a substantial amount of time to easements/equitable servitudes and I definitely noticed a difference.

Good luck!!

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:29 pm

I have a commercial paper question. A check dated three months into the future can qualify as a negotiable instrument, right? One of barbri's model essay answers says that a check made out to the IRS postdated 3 months cannot be a valid obligation. They don't really go into why not.

I fucking hate barbri so much right now.

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:52 pm

Just did the Crim Law essay 3 (dude who shot his friend in the chair on a hunting trip). God...I hope an essay on the actual exam is as easy as that one.

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:09 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
What kind of a state are you taking in?

I'm in a similar boat, but I'm going to keep plugging away at property. Since it's fair game on the MEE and is a significant part of the MBE, I think it's worth the effort. Try to focus on the particular areas that are giving you the most trouble. For me, all of them are, haha, but I definitely have the biggest problem with present and future interests. The past couple days I've devoted a substantial amount of time to easements/equitable servitudes and I definitely noticed a difference.

Good luck!!
I am in NY. So my MBE is worth 40%. I do think that property is pretty frequent on the essay portion, but not as frequent as Ks, Torts, Domestic Relations, Wills, and NY Practice. And like you I struggle with anything related to property, except maybe for L/T law or some parts of tenancy. But I will keep practicing nevertheless. Getting even one extra point may be helpful on the actual test.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:23 pm

so who thinks they'll reject my essay if i send it in at 1 am?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:33 pm

That Property MPQ 5: WTF? There's no way any of the real MBE property questions are as difficult as the easiest of that set.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

goaheadualright

New

Post by goaheadualright » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:07 am

musicfor18 wrote:
No. Like another poster said, I do use BRAKES and MIMIC, and that's about it. I know BARRK is one of them because of that funny guy who kept saying it in the MBE Crim Law Workshop video, but I can never remember what it's used for (Burglary, Arson, Robbery, Rape, Kidnapping, but what is the relevance of this list?)
I think felony murder crimes?

LawGuy321

Bronze

Post by LawGuy321 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:09 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
The only ones I use are BRAKES (felony murder) and MIMIC (hearsay).
I use BARRK for that, ha! What's the "E" in BRAKES?

For the record, I occasionally think "MYLEGS" for when SoF applies, and then I have also used ENDCRAMP for how to end an easement. That's the only new one I really took away from Franzese's lecture -- she has so many it was overwhelming, but I'm considering going back and grabbing a few more. I do think they help with essays for the elements.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LawGuy321

Bronze

Post by LawGuy321 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:14 am

goaheadualright wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:
Yeah, it's the list of crimes always considered "dangerous felonies" at common law for felony murder. I thought BRAKES was also for that, but don't know where the "E" is coming from -- if that's not the same thing, what is BRAKES for?

Devlin

Silver

Post by Devlin » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:16 am

victortsoi wrote:so who thinks they'll reject my essay if i send it in at 1 am?
I'm sure starting tomorrow FOR JUST $99.99 you can have UNLIMITED essay review!

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:18 am

LawGuy321 wrote:
goaheadualright wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:
Yeah, it's the list of crimes always considered "dangerous felonies" at common law for felony murder. I thought BRAKES was also for that, but don't know where the "E" is coming from -- if that's not the same thing, what is BRAKES for?
Not sure if you have another one for BRAKES. But for felony murder I use BARKRE; under the MPC, it's the ones listed above as well as "Felonious Escape."

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:39 am

Devlin wrote:
victortsoi wrote:so who thinks they'll reject my essay if i send it in at 1 am?
I'm sure starting tomorrow FOR JUST $99.99 you can have UNLIMITED essay review!
Good one! Barbri will not get another cent out of me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:55 am

RaleighStClair wrote: Not sure if you have another one for BRAKES. But for felony murder I use BARKRE; under the MPC, it's the ones listed above as well as "Felonious Escape."
Why not BARKER?
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:58 am

MADFIFIIII

I forget what it means. Something about defenses.

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:08 am

Here's a fun thing to do. Get not-sober and watch Real Property III at .75x

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:36 am

3|ink wrote:MADFIFIIII

I forget what it means. Something about defenses.
sucks that fifi isn't a crim law mnemonic.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”