BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
murray18

Bronze

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by murray18 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:06 pm

Just rage quit the NCBEX 21 question test after I got 4 out of the first 10. Been getting around 65-70% on Barbri. Were those way harder than Barbri or is it just time for me to go to bed?

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:06 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:It was an Equity Essay so not an MEE subject. But it had to do with an injunction that was unconstitutional because it violated free speech and association rights. The main part of the question dealt with whether an enjoined person may disobey an unconstitutional injunction.
And what's the answer? I think you can't challenge an injunction if you disobey it, right?
[the injunction was unconstitutional] Instead of protesting in violation of the injunction, they should've sought an immediate appeal. Because they failed to obey, they were appropriately jailed for contempt.

(Then it went on to talk about the appropriate process to challenge the contempt citation)

No where in our equity lecture talked about contempt or constitutionality mind you. The only line they had was something like a court would not grant an injunction for defamation or invasion of privacy because of first amendment. And that's it. If I encounter that essay on the bar, I would have no clue what to talk about.

Outis Onoma

Bronze

Post by Outis Onoma » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:08 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Good Guy Gaud wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:I can't seem to pull together even a semi decent con law essay. Jesus take the wheel.
What areas are throwing you off? FWIW, "predictions" of the MEE this July seem to have con law being a 'maybe' lol
That's comforting!

I find that with all the specific language of con law, I have trouble remembering the rules well enough to put them down for the essays. Take the 1st amendment, for example. I can easily answer a MC question about, say, the 1st amendment as applied to the states through the 1st amendment. But on an essay, all the right words swirl around in my head, but I can't lock them down into a rule statement.

I know that's really vague. Mostly, I'm just frustrated. I should have spent more time on essays.

Sounds like me. But I find that when I'm really under pressure, like in an exam, I throw away out any paralyzing doubt I have about whether I'm right and just write something down. And its usually something close to being right.

LSL

Gold

Post by LSL » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:08 pm

Awesome, thanks music. Probably going to have to sit and wrap my brain around that for a bit to make sure I've got it, but that scenario looks helpful. Thanks for wrapping cover and incidental damages into it too.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:09 pm

murray18 wrote:Just rage quit the NCBEX 21 question test after I got 4 out of the first 10. Been getting around 65-70% on Barbri. Were those way harder than Barbri or is it just time for me to go to bed?
Heh, several of us clocked in around 15/21. It was just very different compared to what we've seen from Barbri, which is somewhat concerning...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

murray18

Bronze

Post by murray18 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:11 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
murray18 wrote:Just rage quit the NCBEX 21 question test after I got 4 out of the first 10. Been getting around 65-70% on Barbri. Were those way harder than Barbri or is it just time for me to go to bed?
Heh, several of us clocked in around 15/21. It was just very different compared to what we've seen from Barbri, which is somewhat concerning...
Great. Well, an awful lot of people pass with just Barbri, so fingers crossed.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:25 pm

kmp127 wrote:TEXAS WILLS QUESTION PLEASE

Husband dies. Wife dies 24 hours later. Husband had a Life Ins. policy naming wife beneficiary. Husband has a son from previous marriage. Wife has nephew. No one else is involved. Who gets the life ins proceeds and why?

THANK U!
Here's the relevant Estates Code:
Sec. 121.151. DISTRIBUTION OF COMMUNITY PROPERTY. (a) This section applies to community property, including the proceeds of life or accident insurance that are community property and become payable to the estate of either the husband or wife.
(b) If a husband and wife die leaving community property but neither survives the other by 120 hours, one-half of all community property shall be distributed as if the husband had survived, and the other one-half shall be distributed as if the wife had survived.

. . .

Sec. 121.153. DISTRIBUTION OF CERTAIN INSURANCE PROCEEDS. (a) If the insured under a life or accident insurance policy and a beneficiary of the proceeds of that policy die within a period of less than 120 hours, the insured is considered to have survived the beneficiary for the purpose of determining the rights under the policy of the beneficiary or beneficiaries as such.
(b) This section does not prevent the applicability of Section 121.151 to proceeds of life or accident insurance that are community property.
I don't know how to tell if the proceeds of the life insurance are community property. I don't think they are in your hypo. But either the proceeds would go half to the husband's estate (son) and half to the wife's estate (nephew) if the proceeds would be community property OR it would all go to the husband's estate (and thus the son) if not community property.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

ladylawyer1221

New

Post by ladylawyer1221 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:28 pm

kmp127 wrote:TEXAS WILLS QUESTION PLEASE

Husband dies. Wife dies 24 hours later. Husband had a Life Ins. policy naming wife beneficiary. Husband has a son from previous marriage. Wife has nephew. No one else is involved. Who gets the life ins proceeds and why?

THANK U!
I think the insurance proceeds go to Husband's son from previous marriage. Wife was named beneficiary but didn't survive Husband by 120 hours, so you treat wife as predeceasing Husband, so it would go to Husband's residuary estate and then to his son.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:29 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
I got 15/21, but also got only 5 out of first 10.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:43 pm

BVest wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:
It's only 21 questions; it's not going to be representative of a 200 (fine, 190) question exam. Don't worry about it. But yeah, I thought they were difficult too.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:44 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:
BVest wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:
It's only 21 questions; it's not going to be representative of a 200 (fine, 190) question exam. Don't worry about it. But yeah, I thought they were difficult too.
I think this is what we have to focus on. The sample is just that, a sample. Keep in mind you can miss like 60 questions and still do well.

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:47 pm

Can someone tell me what we need to know about Fair Housing laws? I don't recall seeing this in either the Con Law or Property lecture notes, but it's appeared on the MBE last year apparently and is in the sample taht NCBEX released.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:49 pm

smokeylarue wrote:Can someone tell me what we need to know about Fair Housing laws? I don't recall seeing this in either the Con Law or Property lecture notes, but it's appeared on the MBE last year apparently and is in the sample taht NCBEX released.
This is all I'm going in with:

The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:51 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:Can someone tell me what we need to know about Fair Housing laws? I don't recall seeing this in either the Con Law or Property lecture notes, but it's appeared on the MBE last year apparently and is in the sample taht NCBEX released.

The Fair Housing Act protects people from discrimination when they are renting, buying, or securing financing for any housing. The prohibitions specifically cover discrimination because of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability and the presence of children.
Thank you good sir!

ohhoney

New

Post by ohhoney » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:08 am

I've gotten 70%+ on the couple Barbri mixed sets I've done and got 77/100 on the Emanuel A.M. questions yesterday...I was feeling pretty good. Then I scored my Barbri half day and got 57. Kinda panicked. Talk me off the ledge??! Anyone experience anything similar?

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:11 am

ohhoney wrote:I've gotten 70%+ on the couple Barbri mixed sets I've done and got 77/100 on the Emanuel A.M. questions yesterday...I was feeling pretty good. Then I scored my Barbri half day and got 57. Kinda panicked. Talk me off the ledge??! Anyone experience anything similar?
Half day is hard. Average is 60%?

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:14 am

RaleighStClair wrote:
BVest wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:
I wonder how those Kaplan/Themis people are doing. Stumbled into their thread and they're talking about crim law it seems. Something about Criminal Assult = Attempted Battery. Did we even cover crim Assult/battery? Lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:15 am

I'm pretty sure it is the same as tort version

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:22 am

kyle010723 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
BVest wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:
I wonder how those Kaplan/Themis people are doing. Stumbled into their thread and they're talking about crim law it seems. Something about Criminal Assult = Attempted Battery. Did we even cover crim Assult/battery? Lol
What a bunch of nerds.

Outis Onoma

Bronze

Post by Outis Onoma » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:23 am

Noticed two green books I never looked at in my barbri box.

My thoughts tonight: "Why did I dick around so much."

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:23 am

RaleighStClair wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
BVest wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:
What a bunch of nerds.
lol'd

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

murray18

Bronze

Post by murray18 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:39 am

Outis Onoma wrote:Noticed two green books I never looked at in my barbri box.

My thoughts tonight: "Why did I dick around so much."
Hey no worries. I know which books you're talking about, and I didn't look at them either.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:01 am

Good Guy Gaud wrote:

Here's what I have from my 1L outline
- Discrimination based on Race, Color, religion, sex, familial status (e.g. kids/no kids -- not marital status), or national origin
- P only need show Disparate impact (Don’t need to prove motive for prima facie case)
- Landlords are exempt (except with regard to ads/statements) if they live in one of the units of a four-plex or smaller
- Always enforceable for ads/statements (e.g. "Room for rent in white home" or "No children under 12" or "Do you have any kids? I don't like kids.")
- Must permit disabled T to make reasonable modifications at own expense, and may require them to pay to undo modifications at end of lease (e.g. hearing impaired doorbell; wheelchair accessible bathroom; service dog despite no-pet policy).

Learned Throw Hands

New

Post by Learned Throw Hands » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:13 am

Took Emmanuals PM today and got 69/100. I checked my score after the first 50 and was at like 82%. fuck. I wonder who in the fuck is scoring like 160 raw on these exams because I've almost exclusively focused on the MBE and I'm still maxing out below where I'd like to be.

jamescastle

Bronze

Post by jamescastle » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:39 am

ohhoney wrote:I've gotten 70%+ on the couple Barbri mixed sets I've done and got 77/100 on the Emanuel A.M. questions yesterday...I was feeling pretty good. Then I scored my Barbri half day and got 57. Kinda panicked. Talk me off the ledge??! Anyone experience anything similar?
I'm getting low 60s on everything and took the BARBRI Half Day. Got a 52.
Feel awful right now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”