BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Re: BarBri Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:29 pm

What is the target MBE score for the simulated?

diowad

New

Post by diowad » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:30 pm

I'm waving my middle finger at some of you lol

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:33 pm

How are you all doing with timing? I finished each half with about 30 minutes left. Barbri's view was that you will go slower on test day, so I'm not sure if I should keep doing what I'm doing or risk taking a little more time...

florentine

Bronze

Post by florentine » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:36 pm

charlesxavier wrote:How are you all doing with timing? I finished each half with about 30 minutes left. Barbri's view was that you will go slower on test day, so I'm not sure if I should keep doing what I'm doing or risk taking a little more time...
Glad to see I'm not the only one finishing with loads of time left.

Frankenchuck

New

Post by Frankenchuck » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:39 pm

Scored 110/200. How screwed?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:40 pm

florentine wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:How are you all doing with timing? I finished each half with about 30 minutes left. Barbri's view was that you will go slower on test day, so I'm not sure if I should keep doing what I'm doing or risk taking a little more time...
Glad to see I'm not the only one finishing with loads of time left.
With the MBE timed exercises I seem to have tons of time. At least half hour on each half, so I'm in your boat.

I'm doing a self-study practice MBE tomorrow and am going to try to (i) just go slow and (ii) to circle some of the more difficult questions to come back to if time permits. Hopefully it increases accuracy. I dunno.

Frankenchuck

New

Post by Frankenchuck » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:40 pm

I finished first half with 3 min left. 2nd half with 30 min left. Not sure what happened.

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:44 pm

Frankenchuck wrote:Scored 110/200. How screwed?
Honestly, it probably depends on how much work you've put in. We're going to be cramming in the next few weeks. I personally noticed that I did significantly better on this simulated MBE on the subjects I've properly reviewed for (regardless of how I did on the MPQs).

Frankenchuck

New

Post by Frankenchuck » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:47 pm

charlesxavier wrote:
Frankenchuck wrote:Scored 110/200. How screwed?
Honestly, it probably depends on how much work you've put in. We're going to be cramming in the next few weeks. I personally noticed that I did significantly better on this simulated MBE on the subjects I've properly reviewed for (regardless of how I did on the MPQs).
I'm at 43% on PSP. I feel like I took the test cold even though I haven't really had a day off from studying.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

diowad

New

Post by diowad » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:50 pm

Some people have asked for comparisons with Emmanuel's MBE. I haven't gotten too far into the book yet, but so far, it's making me feel a lot better. I started with just a few contracts questions because that's one of my worst subjects and got all 6 right. Tried the same with property and it was still shitty (not sure I'll be able to get away from that).

Just did my first "serious" sit down with it though. Did 24 Con Law questions. Got 19/24 (79%). Compare that to 55% on my Con Law Barbri MPQ's. Definitely feel good about that. Wasn't timing myself because I was checking answers every few questions, but I would guess I was spending less than a minute per question because the fact patterns weren't terribly complex.

esilverski

New

Post by esilverski » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:52 pm

Has anybody noticed a discrepancy between the scores returned online versus the actual scores based on the answers in the book for today's Simulated MBE? I'm showing as having answered about 20 more questions correctly when I score by hand compared to what I (erroneously?) entered on the PSP.

Neff

Bronze

Post by Neff » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:05 pm

This is your regularly scheduled PSA to remind you that Barbri MBE Qs are fake and mostly a waste of time. Anyone getting around 50% will own the real thing. Do some real Qs from Emanuel's and you'll see how much overkill Barbri is and how much we've been duped into overstudying obscure AMP-style rules that will be never tested. Unless you just started studying MBE yesterday, everyone should be focusing on state subjects from here on now. Don't believe me? Just do the real Qs.

That being said, I DO think one reason why everyone should do Emanuel's, IN ADDITION to the confidence boost, is because I have noticed several issues on those real questions that were not covered by Barbri (for instance, I noticed a bunch in crim law and torts -- but that could be just me being weaker at those subjects). Emanuel's is streamlined, precise, and to-the-point. It fits the real thing like a glove whereas Barbri feels like it's just flailing about hitting every single issue it can think of. IMO, for anyone with half a brain and who paid any attention whatsoever in 1L classes, it's all that you need.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:06 pm

I can't wait for this damn Emanuel's book to get here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Frankenchuck

New

Post by Frankenchuck » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:14 pm

Neff wrote:This is your regularly scheduled PSA to remind you that Barbri MBE Qs are fake and mostly a waste of time. Anyone getting around 50% will own the real thing. Do some real Qs from Emanuel's and you'll see how much overkill Barbri is and how much we've been duped into overstudying obscure AMP-style rules that will be never tested. Unless you just started studying MBE yesterday, everyone should be focusing on state subjects from here on now. Don't believe me? Just do the real Qs.

That being said, I DO think one reason why everyone should do Emanuel's, IN ADDITION to the confidence boost, is because I have noticed several issues on those real questions that were not covered by Barbri (for instance, I noticed a bunch in crim law and torts -- but that could be just me being weaker at those subjects). Emanuel's is streamlined, precise, and to-the-point. It fits the real thing like a glove whereas Barbri feels like it's just flailing about hitting every single issue it can think of. IMO, for anyone with half a brain and who paid any attention whatsoever in 1L classes, it's all that you need.
I'm taking this advice and running with it. Here's to my 55% score on today's 6 hour hell ride. Cheers.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:24 pm

Woo!

Stevoman

Bronze

Post by Stevoman » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:36 pm

After spending the last few weeks feeling like I know absolutely nothing, I walked out with a 135/200 today. Not as good as some of you nerds, but damn it feels good to be at a passing score.

I think at this point I'm going to put the MBE in the back seat and focus most of my time on state-specific material until judgment day.

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:03 pm

Powell's Trusts lecture was the worst thing I've ever experienced. Just used random hypotheticals and didn't illustrate rules clearly at all.

Anyone have an alternative way to learn trusts and wills for the MEE/UBE? I fake-took the class in law school and got saved by the curve.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:08 pm

My thing said 113/200 was the average on this test last year. And that this test was like, 10-15 points harder than a regular test. And considering most states have like, a 85-90% pass rate among first time MBE takers, I think anybody who scored above a 105 or so shouldn't get complacent but is in good shape.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:23 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:Powell's Trusts lecture was the worst thing I've ever experienced. Just used random hypotheticals and didn't illustrate rules clearly at all.

Anyone have an alternative way to learn trusts and wills for the MEE/UBE? I fake-took the class in law school and got saved by the curve.
Going through the essays has helped me a lot

RaleighStClair

Bronze

Post by RaleighStClair » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:26 pm

Good Guy Gaud wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:Powell's Trusts lecture was the worst thing I've ever experienced. Just used random hypotheticals and didn't illustrate rules clearly at all.

Going through the essays has helped me a lot
Worried about using the essays for learning the law, and not having any to practice with. But maybe this is the only way.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:03 pm

diowad wrote:I'm waving my middle finger at some of you lol
Seriously
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:05 pm

132/200 (66%)... this after averaging 76% on the 50q mixed sets. I did recognize how much worse I was doing though even telling a friend after that I thought I'd gotten around 65%.

Also did y'all notice two questions whose answers might be wrong in light of the last few weeks of SCOTUS opinions.
[+] Spoiler
Question 130 is similar to the California Raisins case (the "right" answer in the practice MBE case was still correct, but there's a second answer that's probably also correct now)

Question 197 may flip its outcome based on the Texas Department of Housing case, though it's not directly on point.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ludacrispat26

Bronze

Post by Ludacrispat26 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:06 pm

some of you:

"ugh 135 decent i guess but fml"

fuck off

Outis Onoma

Bronze

Post by Outis Onoma » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:07 pm

BVest wrote:
Also did y'all notice two questions whose answers might be wrong in light of the last few weeks of SCOTUS opinions.
[+] Spoiler
Question 130 is similar to the California Raisins case (the "right" answer in the practice MBE case was still correct, but there's a second answer that's probably also correct now)

Question 197 may flip its outcome based on the Texas Department of Housing case, though it's not directly on point.
No, I did not. Overachiever.

Mitterrand

New

Post by Mitterrand » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:10 pm

Why are all the question sets so varied in difficulty? I went from 75%+ on the two 50 set MPQs to 55% today.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”