July, 2016 Exam Update - How to Pass the Bar Exam (MEE Predictions, Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Kage3212

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies) Now with MEE Predictions

Postby Kage3212 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:57 pm

Just to clarify, earlier in this thread it stated that the MEE is administered in EVERY state. This is false, right? PA I am pretty sure does not have MEE.

UndecidedMN

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies) Now with MEE Predictions

Postby UndecidedMN » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:28 pm

Kage3212 wrote:Just to clarify, earlier in this thread it stated that the MEE is administered in EVERY state. This is false, right? PA I am pretty sure does not have MEE.

I don't believe I said every state. I know I did say every state except Louisiana for the MBE. This is what I posted in the first part of the post:

"the MEE is a set of 9 essay questions offered to every state in the country. Currently, 27 states (not CA, TX, or essentially FL through NY on the east coast) use some combination of MEE questions which means they will pick and choose which questions and how many questions they want in the respective state exam. UBE states (currently 14) all use the same six questions. "

I did say offered to every state. Which is true, the NCBEX offers the MEE to all states, only 27 currently use it however.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:10 pm

Ah, gotcha. I guess I was just confused logistically about the MEE being "offered to states" and then the states saying "thanks, but nah we will do our own thing." Thanks for the info.

UndecidedMN

Postby UndecidedMN » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:48 am

PSA

Try to take today and tomorrow off from studying. Especially tomorrow at least. Let your brain reset can get some rest for the home stretch. Go spend some time with family and friends and then tell them you will see them in August. It gives you time off but sets expectations for everyone else for your availability for the next month. Too many people get bogged down with BS from family members because they don't realize what you have ahead.

GL.

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:04 pm

Your predictions were right on the money in my jurisdiction, except we got Torts instead of Evidence. I was really skeptical that you'd be correct about Wills and Secured Transactions not showing up, but you were right on.

Well done.

UndecidedMN

Postby UndecidedMN » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:09 pm

odoylerulez wrote:Your predictions were right on the money in my jurisdiction, except we got Torts instead of Evidence. I was really skeptical that you'd be correct about Wills and Secured Transactions not showing up, but you were right on.

Well done.

Great, glad to hear it. Will do this again next exam. I am sure you won't need it.

Reeded8

Postby Reeded8 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:45 am

I meant to post this a lot sooner, but to reiterate the post above this but your predictions were spot on. There was torts instead of evidence which was not a bad thing because I was well prepared for torts, and I feel like torts is an easier subject than evidence. These predictions were super helpful because I directed my studies in the final week toward trust, family, and corporations, and focused a little less on secured trans and wills. Keep up the good work, and I hope this list is created again for the Feb takers (hopefully I'm not apart of that group :) ).

UndecidedMN

Postby UndecidedMN » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:15 pm

Hey everyone. I will be posting updates soon. Couple of questions, first should I just continue with this thread or made a new one? Second anything you feel I should add or change with the tips?

Reeded8

Postby Reeded8 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:44 pm

UndecidedMN wrote:Hey everyone. I will be posting updates soon. Couple of questions, first should I just continue with this thread or made a new one? Second anything you feel I should add or change with the tips?

I think you should keep this thread going. The tips you gave were fine, and there is no need to change up something that works. I passed the bar comfortably because I had a good picture on what to focus more on.

UndecidedMN

Re: Feb. 2016 Exam Update - How to Pass the Bar Exam (MEE Predictions, Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Postby UndecidedMN » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:29 pm

Updates made to top post. (First post)

travelbug

Re: Feb. 2016 Exam Update - How to Pass the Bar Exam (MEE Predictions, Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Postby travelbug » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:32 pm

When I click on the links, the documents open but look very bizarre - scrambled and unreadable. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there another way to access them?

Sue

Postby Sue » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:53 pm

UndecidedMN wrote:Updates made to top post. (First post)

Secured Transactions was tested in Feb 2015 UBE.

Raiden

Postby Raiden » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:16 pm

late in finding this thread, and perhaps this is a dumb question, but I assume these essay predictions do not apply to California.

Sue

Postby Sue » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:26 pm

Raiden wrote:late in finding this thread, and perhaps this is a dumb question, but I assume these essay predictions do not apply to California.

Right, only UBE.

afreely

Postby afreely » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:49 pm

Feb '16 predictions were quite accurate. Actual:

Secured Transactions
Evidence
Partnership
Con Law
Family
Wills (healthcare directive/poa)

Agency/partnership was the only surprise, but all three MEE-only topics were on there and that helped.

ReachTheBar79

Postby ReachTheBar79 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:01 pm

afreely wrote:Feb '16 predictions were quite accurate. Actual:

Secured Transactions
Evidence
Partnership
Con Law
Family

Agency/partnership was the only surprise, but all three MEE-only topics were on there and that helped.

Yes. Very helpful!!! Wish I could talk with someone who took this about how they think they did, so I can know if I was totally wrong.

UndecidedMN

Postby UndecidedMN » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:05 pm

ReachTheBar79 wrote:

Secured Transactions
Evidence
Partnership
Con Law
Family

Yes. Very helpful!!! Wish I could talk with someone who took this about how they think they did, so I can know if I was totally wrong.

Trust me you don't. Just forget about it, go drink and go somewhere fun tomorrow. You don't want to agonize and worry that you may have missed something because someone else said it was there. They could be wrong rather than you and then you get to stress for nothing for the next few months. Good luck!!

ReachTheBar79

Postby ReachTheBar79 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:12 pm

UndecidedMN wrote:
ReachTheBar79 wrote:

Secured Transactions
Evidence
Partnership
Con Law
Family

Trust me you don't. Just forget about it, go drink and go somewhere fun tomorrow. You don't want to agonize and worry that you may have missed something because someone else said it was there. They could be wrong rather than you and then you get to stress for nothing for the next few months. Good luck!!

Thanks! Yeah I could def use a drink....or several.

UndecidedMN

Postby UndecidedMN » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:21 pm

ReachTheBar79 wrote:
UndecidedMN wrote:
ReachTheBar79 wrote:

Secured Transactions
Evidence
Partnership
Con Law
Family

Thanks! Yeah I could def use a drink....or several.

LOL crap, I forgot you have the MBE tomorrow. Get a drink on Thursday!

Worker and Parasite

Postby Worker and Parasite » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:51 pm

really shocked that Civ Pro didn't make it in this time. Great predictions though!

Dalauban

Postby Dalauban » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:54 am

Questions on the UBE were...
MPT
1. Memo (EE/IC analysis)
2. Demand letter/memo (tort liability)

MEE
1. Partnership (LLP)
2. Con Law (Dormant Commerce Clause)
3. Family Law (pre-nup)
4. Evidence (officer/Vic/witness/Def)
5. Wills/POA (mom dies)
6. Secured Transaction (entertainment system)

UndecidedMN wrote:EDIT: January 14, 2016

I apologize for everyone that has been emailing about updated predictions and so forth. I got extremely busy from work and also some other ideas I was hoping to expand in the post. In the end, my time commitments got to be a little too much, so I decided I will just being doing an update on the predictions and a few other things as I know some of you are counting on it. I will be available to answer questions in the thread and via PM and should be able to get back to you at most within 24 hours. Good Luck on the Feb 2016 Exam. Please note that this is just a minor update. I highly recommend you go through the entire thread.

Also, Bar Exam passage rates continue to decline. There has been listed numerous reasons for this such as declining enrollment, lesser quality students, higher standardization of the exam itself, to different forms of questions being more difficult than prior years. I have been told by more people that I can count that these tips have helped them tremendously and have helped them passed the exam when they failed previously. In the end, you can pass the exam if you put the work in. Most people do on their first try. Everyone freaks out, don't worry about it, you'll be fine. You passed law school, so your smart enough to pass this exam.

Here are the predictions for the 2016 MEE Subjects:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/256 ... 202016.pdf

It is also in the Very Short Outlines Folder.

Notes on the predictions, I was able to get 5 of the 6 subjects correct on the July, 15 exam and the only one wrong is a switch in MBE subjects. I know some of you really rely on these predictions so I try and spend a lot of time on them. While reviewing the chart, the boxes filled in blue represent when that subject was tested on the MBE. A box in green shows that subject was tested in conjunction with another subject on the MBE. The yellow and orange boxes represent the predictions. In a nutshell, there should be 4 MBE subjects on the MEE. Civ Pro is always on there and until they say otherwise, I expect it to be. July, 15 was the first time Civ Pro was a MBE subject and it was still on the MEE, so it stays right now. Evidence has not been tested in the past few exams so I expect it as well. Those I have most confidence in. Also they seem to alternate exams on Con Law, so I expect it this time as it wasn't there last time. Property is my best guess for the last one.

The two MEE specific subjects I expect to be tested are Secured Transactions and probably Family Law, but maybe Wills. The have always tested one of the group of three subjects (Trusts, Family Law, or Wills) and only once in the past ten exams have they tested more than one of these subjects on the exam. They tend to not go back to back and since Trusts was just tested, I do not believe it will be on there. Family Law is the safe bet. Secured Transactions has not been on in a few years and that is why I think it comes this time. They do not test Secured Transactions and Corporations in the same year (based on previous experience, not some rule). And since they alternate each exam on Corporations, they had Corporations in July, 15, I do not believe it will be on the Feb 16 exam.

In relation to Conflict of Laws, Partnerships and Agency, I do not expect them on the exam. First, Conflict of Laws has never been tested. I cannot see spending anymore time that 6 hours on this subject. Watch the video lecture and go over the small outline on the chance it is there, but if they ever put it on the exam, no one is getting it. Do they even teach this subject in law school? If you spend 6 hours on it, you should be able to put something on the exam that will get you more points and a higher curve than most. I also cannot see it being a stand alone subject. I have no clue why they even say its a subject.

Now Partnerships has only been tested once and strangely only combined with Agency which makes sense although maybe could be combined with Secured Transactions. I just don't see it though. Agency really needs to be combined with another subject and for the past three times it has been tested, it has been. However, it was combined with Torts and Partnerships, and I do not expect those subjects on the exam. I would spend more time if you have in on these subjects (especially over Conflicts), but not as much as Secured, Family Law and Wills.

The focus of the predictions is not to tell you that you do not have to study everything, but to tell you where to focus on. Whole point of these tips is time management. These predictions are educated guesses based on previous exams, conversations with various people, review of exams wherever and whenever posted by different states and what seems to be the hot topics. As you can see, 4 of the subjects are MBE subjects and I strongly believe those seven MBE subjects plus the MBE in UBE states will determine if you pass the exam. Those two areas are the key to success of the bar exam.

Also, below is a link to the Minnesota BLE model answer page (please note that Minnesota became a UBE state on the Feb 13 exam). I believe these are actual answers submitted by test takers that were rated highly by the exam graders (Minnesota BLE graders, each state grades its own exam even though the exam is the same in numerous states). A few things about this, first a lot of these answers are a lot shorter than you think. You do not need to write novels to get the most points and I strongly suggest you don't as that eats up too much valuable test time hurting you on other questions. What is important is that the answers are clearly laid out and defined. The MPT answers are in perfect form. As I have said before, just getting the form right is so important for easy points on the MPT. But also the MEE "representative good" answers are easy to follow along and read. Just training yourself to write clean answers can get you points.

https://www.ble.state.mn.us/resource-ce ... swers.aspx

Good Luck and I am always available for questions.

---- END OF JANUARY 2016 EDIT ----

I have been a long-time TLS member and have received great advice previously, so I would like to pay it forward. I did very well on the MN Bar last July and these tips and outlines I was told helped a few people who failed the July but passed the Feb bar. If you wish to skip this and just get my recommended flashcards and the outlines I prepared, here are the links:

Critical Pass Flashcards: http://criticalpass.refr.cc/T9L3259

Edit 5/29: Per request I have added the notes I put on my flashcards in word docs in my dropbox folder below. I have only found two sets of cards so far, torts and evidence. If I find more I will post them. I will talk to a few buddies and see who may also have some things.

Very Short Outlines (MEE): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2itdi8y50mm9 ... Phcna?dl=0

Edit 6/17: I have complied a chart of the MEE subjects per bar exam of the UBE with predictions for July of 2015. The link is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ml64zv56n7mdq ... akdown.pdf? It is also in the main dropbox folder. Dark blue means the subject was tested and light green means the subject was tested with another subject in the same question.

Some notes on the chart. First, the MEE is a set of 9 essay questions offered to every state in the country. Currently, 27 states (not CA, TX, or essentially FL through NY on the east coast) use some combination of MEE questions which means they will pick and choose which questions and how many questions they want in the respective state exam. UBE states (currently 14) all use the same six questions. This chart is the subjects of the UBE/MEE exam since its inception in Feb 2011. The subjects were pulled from Missouri and Minnesota's Board of Law Examiners reports and respective answers. Now these predictions are based on educated guesses of what has been tested in the past. I also looked at years prior to 2011 looking for trends as well but threaded lightly using that data. Use these predictions at your own risk, but again I am trying to help where I can. If you are in a time crunch, it might be better to focus on these subjects for the MEE. Note that on average the MBE makes up 42% of the points of the UBE/MEE. This is even higher if you include Civ Pro as a MBE subject for all years. So on average the 7 MBE subjects make up a total of 62.6% of your total exam points. Some quick math, 82.6% of your exam on average will come from MPT (20%) and MBE. The highest required pass score for UBE states is 268 or 67% of the exam. So theoretically, if you get 81.1% of those points, essentially a B- minus, you get a 268 without ever getting one point from the rest of the MEE. Just a thought.

Now notes on the predictions: First, Civ Pro has essentially always been tested on the MEE. However, last bar exam it also became a MBE subject and was still used as an essay question. I still believe it is on there until I see differently. Second, Except for once, there has always been a Family Law, Trusts, or Wills (Decedent's Estates) question. Except for once, only one of those three subjects has been on the exam at any one time. Because Wills was just tested, most likely it will be either Family Law or Trusts. Third, Conflict of Laws has never been tested and from what I have been told where it has appeared elsewhere it has been with another subject and never a standalone question. Fourth, Agency is only tested as combined with another subject. Think of a situation like is a company liable for its employee's tort. Fifth, Commercial Paper is not on the UBE any longer and I am not sure if essays for this subject are even offered by the NBCE. Sixth, there will be at least three MBE subjects on the MEE portion of the exam. Seventh, would be surprised it there is a Secured Transactions question.

Take this information and predictions with a grain of salt. I have spent a couple of hours researching and writing this. I cannot guarantee this is right, but I believe these are very educated guesses as to what the MEE will comprise of. PM any questions. GL.

***********************Original Post Below*****************************

Please note that I used barbri, but I think this helps with any prep course. Also, I strongly recommend a prep course, I am not sure how feasible passing is without at least some form of help. I also worked during the summer. So I studied about 4 - 5 hours a day and then took 2 weeks off prior and studied 10-12 hours a day until the day before when I just re-read my sort outlines.

If you have any direct questions, post them here or PM me and I will do my best to respond.

The #1 thing for success with the bar exam is time management. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. Time management in studying for the bar and time management when actually taking it. Also, you are not trying for an A. All you need to do is pass, no one cares about your score once your in.

First, I took the online course which I think was better than the live version. The live version of the course is that you sit in a lecture hall or cafeteria and listen to someone speak for 3-4 hours. Granted, it is dedicated set time everyday, but you cannot ask questions. Your basically back in law school. You can supposedly ask questions afterwards and maybe on breaks, but I never heard of anyone doing it. The lecturers give you their email, so if you really need to ask a question you should do it that way. But most likely you never will.

The benefits of the online course is that you get to study at on your own time and pace. But you lose that dedicated study time where you know you have to be there to study. Also, you get to run the live lecture at increased speed. I did mine usually at 1.25 and sometimes 1.5 speed. So if the lecture is 4 hrs, you just saved an hour by going at 1.25 speed. Every hour you can save is so critical. I never felt it was too fast to write my notes and if I was ever rushed, I just simply hit pause. If your wondering the difference between the live and the online lecture. There is none. The online course is simply the live course recorded and put up on the website two days later. Actually there are a few lectures that the live course will see on a projection screen that were recorded previously (Con Law three days is one). Quickly back to time management, the fact I didn't have to drive to the where the live course was saved me about an hour a day.

Second thing: Don't fall too far behind the schedule. You can always be a few days behind. But don't get too much further than that. I consistently was behind a few days and that's ok. But I did feel a lot more pressure I think than if I had followed the schedule. Let me be clear, the schedule I am talking about is the video lecture subject schedule, not the schedule that says you need to do every essay, barbri AMP and multiple choice question. I only finished about 20% of the schedule according to barbri. The lectures I felt were key to get through nearly on-time. I don't want to be doing two subjects the same day and that's what will happen when you fall behind at the end. So stay on target with your lecture schedule and don't worry too much about the rest. In relation to Barbri AMP, I did it in the beginning, but I don't think it is worth the time, especially when I got my flashcards.

Third thing: The MBE. There are some rules that you can get around a 150 on the MBE and essentially autopass. That maybe true. I had some friends focus 90% on the MBE, 8% on the MEE and 2% on the MPT. I am not sure I recommend it, but it can work. And it is balsy. But there is an underlying logic to this approach. The MBE subjects are Contracts, Torts, Crim Law and Pro, Con Law (Liberties/Rights and Powers), Evidence, Civ Pro, and Property. I can almost guarantee at least 60% of your score comes from these subjects. Not only are these subjects the only subjects that are tested multiple choice, but they also may be tested along with all of the other required courses on the MEE (Essay Section). So if you do well on the MPT and ace the MBE subjects, you should pass.

A big thing you need to do is practice multiple choice questions. I felt the diagnostic test days offered by Barbri gave me a very good sense of what subjects needed studying. I learned I needed to focus on Property and Evidence early. But regardless, you need to do probably at least 2000 questions. I was doing a hundred a day the last week. You can do more, and it wouldn't hurt, but 100 questions is rated for 3 hours. There is only so much time in the day. On test day you will take 200 questions, 100 each three hour session with a break in between. I just used the barbri ones as I felt they were enough. Although others have recommended the use of adaptibar as well.

One last thing regarding the MBE is flashcards. I think they are extremely helpful and I have found the ones offered by Critical Pass are amazing. I do not own Critical Pass and have no relation to them. I just highly recommend their product. They are 95 dollars, but I feel worth every penny. Here is the link to purchase them: http://criticalpass.refr.cc/T9L3259

They are very well organized on each MBE subject, come in a nice box which you can take everywhere (I always had them in my backpack. Used to drill constantly on the train or on walks) and also allow you to write on them your own notes. I promise they are worth every penny. You can always sell them afterwards to get some money back. First, you cannot make flashcards as good and second going back to time management, it will save you countless hours as you don't have to make them.

The day of the exam, I think you should have more than enough time to go through 100 questions every three hours. The longest ones are in Property and Civ Pro. Some people claim that you should go through the hundred questions, mark on scratch paper which problem is which subject. then go back and do each subject's questions together so your brain is focused on that subject. I tried it, didn't feel it worked for me. Others say mark each question with one or two checkmarks showing level of difficulty so you know where you need to go back and review. Again, I tried this and also felt it did not work for me. Regardless of whatever you do, you need to find your own system, even if it is just answering each question in order. You need to get comfortable with it. Simply practicing thousands of questions will raise your score by significant points. From my diagnostic test to my final test, I think I increased my raw score by 40 Questions. However I never took Crim Pro or Evidence in law school. Actually, in my last practice test, Evidence was my best subject. Again just simple practice and repetition of the questions is key and well worth the time spent.

Fourth Thing: MEE: About half of jurisdictions use the MEE, essentially the essay portion of the exam. It is 30% of your score if you are in a UBE jurisdiction. I will use the UBE as the example here. UBE states have 6 essay questions which are answered over 3 hours. So you have a half-hour for each essay question. You need to be very aware of how much time you spent on each question. I can't tell you how many people I have heard fail because they ran out of time. The way to beat the MEE is to do your best within the time of each question. If you take an hour on one question, writing the most beautiful exam answer possible and get a five, but leave no time for another question and get a one, you only got six points. However, if you do both questions adequately in 30 min, get 4s on both, you have 8 points. You are not trying to get an A on the bar exam, just a D minus and passing. Take the easy points and move on.

I made short-outlines for each MEE subject from my handouts and my own notes. I am happy to share them with you. Here is my dropbox folder giving them to you: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2itdi8y50mm9 ... Phcna?dl=0

Some MEE questions will be combined subject questions. Think essay questions combined Agency/Partnership and Corporations. Another favorite is Con Law and Family law. The Bar Exam loves to do this, although I have heard not as much. Prior to adding Civ Pro to the MBE in Feb of 2015, the one thing you could always count on was Civ Pro being on the MEE. There was also other trends. There was almost always a family law question. When it wasn't on, Wills and Trusts took its place. I know last Feb that there was an Evidence, Crim Law, Torts (possibly Agency included), Property, and Secured Transaction's essay. Also, Conflict of Laws has I believe never been a stand alone question.

Be mindful that again, MBE subjects are in the essay section. I know in July of 2014, there were Crim Pro, Evidence and Contracts along with Civ Pro, Corporations and Family Law. Just study, be mindful of the time and you will do fine.

Fifth Thing: The MPT is used currently in 38 states. However it is not used in some big jurisdictions such as California, Florida, Mass., and Pennsylvania. That is a shame because they are easy points. The MPT represents 20% of your total score in UBE jurisdictions. Most states do have at least one MPT question. MPTs are the most overlooked and therefore easiest points to miss on the bar exam. With a little preparation, the points they offer can makeup any shortfall on the MBE portion of the exam. UBE jurisdictions offer 2 MPT questions over 3 hours, or 90 minutes each.

The key again is time management. YOU CANNOT GO OVER 90 MINUTES on each of these questions. Most people, who have practiced these exam questions countless times cannot finish a question in 90 minutes. I spent way time than most on these and the day of my exam I had to cut myself off at 90. The easiest part about the MPT is that you do not have to know any law. You are give a packet which contains the facts of the question, law (usually case briefs and some relevant statutes), and some type of example of the form. The MPT may ask you to write jury instructions, demand letters with supporting case law, memo of law and so forth. But the answer to the question is in the packet, you do not need to previous knowledge for it.

My advice, as soon as you start writing, get the form down. One of my MPT questions was a demand letter. Before I did any writing of substance I put the address of the person, the greeting, stated it was a demand letter, and then a closing. Just getting the form right is worth substantial points. Now you maybe saying "I am a summer associate of a major law firm, I know how to write this stuff so no need to study or look at any examples in the packet.". This is the wrong answer. Even if the big law way is better, you need to write it in the form provided or you lose points. Also you may recognize the law being tested, maybe even the specific cases you are being asked to read. Forget that you know them. The MPT is not designed for you to know the law in the case, but how you can read law, interpret it correctly based on whats given, and put it in the format required. This is not a memory test like the rest of the bar, but a skills test of how you follow directions and interpret law to a given set of circumstances and fact.

Each MPT question has a packet of cases and laws. They are there for a reason. You must included a reference to each brief or law at least once in your answer. Often people will reference the headlined case, but not the one line in that case referencing another case. This may not make sense until you look at a MPT, but here is an example. Lets say you are reading the case of ABC vs ACME. You are reading the decision and the judge in the case references how this case's logic follows the law of Marbury vs Madision. You need to reference ABC vs ACME and Marbury vs Madison in your answer. Failing to do so costs you points.

The MPT is easy points if you practice. I only looked at them 3 weeks prior to the exam, but I believe I did about eight full and then outlines of ten others just to see if I was referencing the right cases and laws. The day of the Bar Exam, I actually wrote my outline into my exam so I could then make sure I got everything. I deleted the approriate part of the outline as I finished the relevant part. Some people say read the facts first, other the file with the law. I say read the facts first so you know what you are looking for in the law. The day of the exam, make sure you are mindful of the clock. Start writing, something, anything after 30 minutes. At 85 minutes, know you need to finish and at 90, stop where you are and go to the next question. You cannot spend anymore time than 90 minutes per MPT. Just a little bit of practice on MPTs gets you used to the time constraints and the format which will get you those easy points.

In finishing up about prepping for the exam, your prep course probably gave you 8 books including thousands of pages. When my barbri box came with those books, my first thought was "HOLY SHIT!!! How am I going to cram this all in my head." First, it is not that bad. Barbri provides a monster outline, a "conviser" or mini outline, handout/lecture notes, then numerous books of practice questions for MPT/MEE and MBE. I only opened the monster outline I think once. You just don't need it because it is way to detailed. You need to know like 65% of the law well to pass, not 100% perfectly. I barely used the mini outline, as again I felt it was too detailed but it helped when I was stuck on something. The lecture notes are the crown jewel of your prep course. I felt Barbri's was invaluable and that is what I used to make my own very short outlines and modifications to my Critical Pass flashcards.

Sixth Thing: The day before the exam, do very little. I just read my short-outlines and did a few flashcards. You are not going to get anything in. Just get a good night sleep. I believe the first day is always the Essay/MPT day. Do yourself a favor, during breaks or after the first day, DO NOT TALK ABOUT IT. You do not want to know how you fucked up a question and freak yourself out. July of 2014 had a nasty corporations question. Most people did bad on it. You can't fix anything you did, so don't worry about it and screw yourself for the next day.

Don't bother trying to study the night before the second day. You will be so burnt out that it will not take. Again just sleep well and watch a numbless movie. I heavily recommend "My Cousin Vinny", its about the law but very funny. The deer scene is a classic. By the end of the second session, I felt like slitting my wrists. You will not feel good coming out the Bar Exam. Just remind yourself you did the best you could and there is nothing else you can do. I would not talk about exam questions with your friends at all. But if you must, do it after the second day is over.
Again, good luck. The bar exam is daunting, but remember more than most past on their first attempt. I hope you will to and join the legal profession soon. Please note, my exam was based on the UBE before Civ Pro was added. I think all of these tips, outlines, and strategies are more than helpful, but be careful with my outlines. They may not fit the laws of your jurisdiction being tested (Louisiana in particular). I am sure you will all do fine. Feel free to ask me any questions.

UndecidedMN

Postby UndecidedMN » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:03 pm

Dalauban wrote:Questions on the UBE were...
MPT
1. Memo (EE/IC analysis)
2. Demand letter/memo (tort liability)

MEE
1. Partnership (LLP)
2. Con Law (Dormant Commerce Clause)
3. Family Law (pre-nup)
4. Evidence (officer/Vic/witness/Def)
5. Wills/POA (mom dies)
6. Secured Transaction (entertainment system)

To be honest they really broke the mold this year. First off there is only 2 MBE subjects here. That hasn't happened in 3 exams and if you include civ-pro as a MBE, it hasn't happened in the 11 exams I have tracked. Second, Civ-Pro not being on there, only the 2nd time in 11 exams. Last, I don't believe Partnerships have ever been offered as a stand alone question. Things for me to consider for the July predictions.

achewood

Postby achewood » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Did anyone else understand the POA/Wills question? I definitely made up a ton of stuff on that one and didn't really recognize it was a Wills question until it was too late.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”