July, 2016 Exam Update - How to Pass the Bar Exam (MEE Predictions, Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

User avatar
robinhoodOO
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:08 pm

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Postby robinhoodOO » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:28 am

rhs100 wrote:Any tips for essays? I did a contracts essay yesterday and I felt like there were so many things I should talk about - not sure how I will ever be able to do this under timed condition, I'm a detailed oriented person. Every time I have to practice writing an essay, that ends up being my worst day(s) of my week.


The obvious answer is to change how you prepare/study for essay taking. Others have recommended reading the essay question once through and then reading the model answers to see exactly what they're looking for, then rereading and attempting to rewrite the outline. Beat it into yourself that that's what they're looking for in breaking down and answering the question. Lots of practice, lots of essays, etc.

UndecidedMN
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Postby UndecidedMN » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:59 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
rhs100 wrote:Any tips for essays? I did a contracts essay yesterday and I felt like there were so many things I should talk about - not sure how I will ever be able to do this under timed condition, I'm a detailed oriented person. Every time I have to practice writing an essay, that ends up being my worst day(s) of my week.


The obvious answer is to change how you prepare/study for essay taking. Others have recommended reading the essay question once through and then reading the model answers to see exactly what they're looking for, then rereading and attempting to rewrite the outline. Beat it into yourself that that's what they're looking for in breaking down and answering the question. Lots of practice, lots of essays, etc.


One of the things i did which I felt got me about 90% out of what I needed to get out of an essay was essentially "quick" answer them. So I would read the question and essentially short answer my answer. Example, lets say I saw an issue with contracts, here is what I wrote.

Contract = Service, Common Law applies. Personal Services contract, only damages, no specific performance only possible injunction. Its essentially issue spotting and quickly making sure you got the law right when you look up the answer. You not spending time writing out a whole paragraph or two about Jim Bean was supposed to make bourbon for Jack Daniels and this is a service contract. Service contracts are not governed by the ucc, but only common law.......I felt it took about half the time then actually writing the whole thing out which let me learn more by doing more essays. Besides, you want to see what you are doing wrong not wasting time reinforcing what you have right.

rhs100
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:17 am

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Postby rhs100 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:09 pm

UndecidedMN wrote:One of the things i did which I felt got me about 90% out of what I needed to get out of an essay was essentially "quick" answer them. So I would read the question and essentially short answer my answer. Example, lets say I saw an issue with contracts, here is what I wrote.

Contract = Service, Common Law applies. Personal Services contract, only damages, no specific performance only possible injunction. Its essentially issue spotting and quickly making sure you got the law right when you look up the answer. You not spending time writing out a whole paragraph or two about Jim Bean was supposed to make bourbon for Jack Daniels and this is a service contract. Service contracts are not governed by the ucc, but only common law.......I felt it took about half the time then actually writing the whole thing out which let me learn more by doing more essays. Besides, you want to see what you are doing wrong not wasting time reinforcing what you have right.


You did this during prep only right? Or did you actually short answer on the real exam too?

UndecidedMN
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Postby UndecidedMN » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:43 pm

rhs100 wrote:
UndecidedMN wrote:One of the things i did which I felt got me about 90% out of what I needed to get out of an essay was essentially "quick" answer them. So I would read the question and essentially short answer my answer. Example, lets say I saw an issue with contracts, here is what I wrote.

Contract = Service, Common Law applies. Personal Services contract, only damages, no specific performance only possible injunction. Its essentially issue spotting and quickly making sure you got the law right when you look up the answer. You not spending time writing out a whole paragraph or two about Jim Bean was supposed to make bourbon for Jack Daniels and this is a service contract. Service contracts are not governed by the ucc, but only common law.......I felt it took about half the time then actually writing the whole thing out which let me learn more by doing more essays. Besides, you want to see what you are doing wrong not wasting time reinforcing what you have right.


You did this during prep only right? Or did you actually short answer on the real exam too?


Only during prep. I don't think they would like it if you try to short answer the exam.

rhs100
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:17 am

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Postby rhs100 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:36 am

UndecidedMN wrote:
Only during prep. I don't think they would like it if you try to short answer the exam.


right ... so during the real exam did you have time to write out everything within time, given you didn't practice writing full exams? I guess the short answers help you learn the law well so maybe during the actual thing you dont have to think too much?

PeggyCarter
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:44 am

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Postby PeggyCarter » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:53 pm

rhs100 wrote:
UndecidedMN wrote:
Only during prep. I don't think they would like it if you try to short answer the exam.


right ... so during the real exam did you have time to write out everything within time, given you didn't practice writing full exams? I guess the short answers help you learn the law well so maybe during the actual thing you dont have to think too much?


Not the OP but had kind of a similar "short answer" approach. I handwrote the exam and my completely unscientific assumption was that I could drill the law into my head/gain muscle memory by writing out rule statements repeatedly. One of the ways I practiced essays was writing out rule statements only for an essay and making sure it took no more than 25-30 minutes (I always outlined for 10 minutes, which left about 20+ minutes for fact analysis). I practiced more essays because I spent less time on them. On the actual test, I didn't feel pressed for time and on my stronger subjects had about 3-5 minutes left over. My problems were BLL memorization, so for anyone whose main issue is applying law to facts, this approach won't work.

Bar Slayer
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:02 pm

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Postby Bar Slayer » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:11 pm

rhs100 wrote:Any tips for essays? I did a contracts essay yesterday and I felt like there were so many things I should talk about - not sure how I will ever be able to do this under timed condition, I'm a detailed oriented person. Every time I have to practice writing an essay, that ends up being my worst day(s) of my week.


The bad news is that you should get used to this feeling, especially leading up to the exam. I felt exactly how you do for months. The good news is that each time you feel terrible taking a practice essay, you reduce the risk that you will underperform on the actual exam. The quote "pain is weakness leaving your body" is appropriate in this context. When I took the exam I blasted through the essays, despite struggling on almost every practice essay I wrote. If you practice properly it will be painful but you will see the results on exam day.

jab8bo
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:21 pm

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Postby jab8bo » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:27 pm

Very helpful post! This is my first time on here and have a question about Bar prep. Is it necessary to do every assignment in Barbri? I mean sometimes I feel like my time would be better spent studying my outline and flash cards before I move on to a bunch of practice questions assigned for the day. Is it ok to disregard some assignments and come back to them or instead study something that is helpful to me? What will happen if I don’t complete all the Barbri assignments? (I'm staying up to date on my assignments as of now, including the lectures, but I really want to work on memorizing more law before moving on.) Thanks in advance!

UndecidedMN
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Postby UndecidedMN » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:46 pm

jab8bo wrote:Very helpful post! This is my first time on here and have a question about Bar prep. Is it necessary to do every assignment in Barbri? I mean sometimes I feel like my time would be better spent studying my outline and flash cards before I move on to a bunch of practice questions assigned for the day. Is it ok to disregard some assignments and come back to them or instead study something that is helpful to me? What will happen if I don’t complete all the Barbri assignments? (I'm staying up to date on my assignments as of now, including the lectures, but I really want to work on memorizing more law before moving on.) Thanks in advance!


Ok, I have seem to have gotten this question PM'ed to me a few times and I am seeing it on here. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO FINISH ALL OF THE BARBRI ASSIGNMENTS! Don't freak out about it. It just is not possible. We all have different styles, but you cannot hope to do 4 hours of lecture, 1 hour of review, 1-2 of AMP, never mind preping for the next subject, doing mbe questions, reviewing them and as well essays and the occasional MPT. Its just not possible.

Make sure you do your lectures. Those are the most important. Get your outlines and flashcards ready (or use mine) by the 4th. Then push to memorizing. Just now work on understanding the law. There are subjects in the lectures you have not been exposed to and need to grasp (i.e. for me it was crim pro, evidence, and basically every mee subject since I focused my law school on business classes (securities, corps, tax law). After the 4th is when you will be doing your countless essays, mpts and mbe questions.

Your going to freak out once. Everyone does and it is ok. Fear helps you focus, don't let it freeze you. You will get through it and pass this exam.

GL

User avatar
robinhoodOO
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:08 pm

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Postby robinhoodOO » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:21 pm

UndecidedMN wrote:
jab8bo wrote:Very helpful post! This is my first time on here and have a question about Bar prep. Is it necessary to do every assignment in Barbri? I mean sometimes I feel like my time would be better spent studying my outline and flash cards before I move on to a bunch of practice questions assigned for the day. Is it ok to disregard some assignments and come back to them or instead study something that is helpful to me? What will happen if I don’t complete all the Barbri assignments? (I'm staying up to date on my assignments as of now, including the lectures, but I really want to work on memorizing more law before moving on.) Thanks in advance!


Ok, I have seem to have gotten this question PM'ed to me a few times and I am seeing it on here. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO FINISH ALL OF THE BARBRI ASSIGNMENTS! Don't freak out about it. It just is not possible. We all have different styles, but you cannot hope to do 4 hours of lecture, 1 hour of review, 1-2 of AMP, never mind preping for the next subject, doing mbe questions, reviewing them and as well essays and the occasional MPT. Its just not possible.

Make sure you do your lectures. Those are the most important. Get your outlines and flashcards ready (or use mine) by the 4th. Then push to memorizing. Just now work on understanding the law. There are subjects in the lectures you have not been exposed to and need to grasp (i.e. for me it was crim pro, evidence, and basically every mee subject since I focused my law school on business classes (securities, corps, tax law). After the 4th is when you will be doing your countless essays, mpts and mbe questions.

Your going to freak out once. Everyone does and it is ok. Fear helps you focus, don't let it freeze you. You will get through it and pass this exam.

GL


Just to reinforce your point: Kaplan basically has the same situation. It's just not possible to do everything assigned (especially if you work at all). They know this.

Don't get discouraged, catch up as much as possible on the weekends, keep driving, and trust your program :)

jab8bo
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:21 pm

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Postby jab8bo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:15 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
UndecidedMN wrote:
jab8bo wrote:Very helpful post! This is my first time on here and have a question about Bar prep. Is it necessary to do every assignment in Barbri? I mean sometimes I feel like my time would be better spent studying my outline and flash cards before I move on to a bunch of practice questions assigned for the day. Is it ok to disregard some assignments and come back to them or instead study something that is helpful to me? What will happen if I don’t complete all the Barbri assignments? (I'm staying up to date on my assignments as of now, including the lectures, but I really want to work on memorizing more law before moving on.) Thanks in advance!


Ok, I have seem to have gotten this question PM'ed to me a few times and I am seeing it on here. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO FINISH ALL OF THE BARBRI ASSIGNMENTS! Don't freak out about it. It just is not possible. We all have different styles, but you cannot hope to do 4 hours of lecture, 1 hour of review, 1-2 of AMP, never mind preping for the next subject, doing mbe questions, reviewing them and as well essays and the occasional MPT. Its just not possible.

Make sure you do your lectures. Those are the most important. Get your outlines and flashcards ready (or use mine) by the 4th. Then push to memorizing. Just now work on understanding the law. There are subjects in the lectures you have not been exposed to and need to grasp (i.e. for me it was crim pro, evidence, and basically every mee subject since I focused my law school on business classes (securities, corps, tax law). After the 4th is when you will be doing your countless essays, mpts and mbe questions.

Your going to freak out once. Everyone does and it is ok. Fear helps you focus, don't let it freeze you. You will get through it and pass this exam.

GL


Just to reinforce your point: Kaplan basically has the same situation. It's just not possible to do everything assigned (especially if you work at all). They know this.

Don't get discouraged, catch up as much as possible on the weekends, keep driving, and trust your program :)




WHEW! What a relief it is to know I don't have to complete every single assignment!! I was really getting bogged down trying to do it all which lead to much stress and frustration. For now, I will continue on with my lectures, focusing on really understanding the law and doing the assignments I find helpful, then start memorizing in July. Great advice!

Also, how important is prepping? I've just been skimming the CMR night before, but I've heard of others reading and highlighting the CMR before the next day's lecture.

americanphaoah
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:21 pm

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Postby americanphaoah » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:40 pm

UndecidedMN wrote:
Your going to freak out once. Everyone does and it is ok. Fear helps you focus, don't let it freeze you. You will get through it and pass this exam.

GL


first post here. i agree -- a freak out will more than likely occur at some point (i recognize that, for a select few, it does not), and history has shown that it occurs at different times for different people.

mine occurred the sunday prior to the exam, leaving me in a completely catatonic state where i simply could not study anything further. i had reached the point of information satiation.

however, by the time i arrived at my hotel monday afternoon, i had mentally re-grouped...and realized that it was necessary to put in the time to feel personally satisfied that i had engaged in worthwhile preparation immediately in advance of each session -- and for me, that meant going through the mental calisthenics of honing in on focused, efficient, strategy-based prep on how to tackle each section of the exam (each day) as it came to pass (along with some substantive review where i felt it was needed).

UndecidedMN
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Postby UndecidedMN » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:13 pm

jab8bo wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:
UndecidedMN wrote:
jab8bo wrote:Very helpful post! This is my first time on here and have a question about Bar prep. Is it necessary to do every assignment in Barbri? I mean sometimes I feel like my time would be better spent studying my outline and flash cards before I move on to a bunch of practice questions assigned for the day. Is it ok to disregard some assignments and come back to them or instead study something that is helpful to me? What will happen if I don’t complete all the Barbri assignments? (I'm staying up to date on my assignments as of now, including the lectures, but I really want to work on memorizing more law before moving on.) Thanks in advance!


Ok, I have seem to have gotten this question PM'ed to me a few times and I am seeing it on here. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO FINISH ALL OF THE BARBRI ASSIGNMENTS! Don't freak out about it. It just is not possible. We all have different styles, but you cannot hope to do 4 hours of lecture, 1 hour of review, 1-2 of AMP, never mind preping for the next subject, doing mbe questions, reviewing them and as well essays and the occasional MPT. Its just not possible.

Make sure you do your lectures. Those are the most important. Get your outlines and flashcards ready (or use mine) by the 4th. Then push to memorizing. Just now work on understanding the law. There are subjects in the lectures you have not been exposed to and need to grasp (i.e. for me it was crim pro, evidence, and basically every mee subject since I focused my law school on business classes (securities, corps, tax law). After the 4th is when you will be doing your countless essays, mpts and mbe questions.

Your going to freak out once. Everyone does and it is ok. Fear helps you focus, don't let it freeze you. You will get through it and pass this exam.

GL


Just to reinforce your point: Kaplan basically has the same situation. It's just not possible to do everything assigned (especially if you work at all). They know this.

Don't get discouraged, catch up as much as possible on the weekends, keep driving, and trust your program :)




WHEW! What a relief it is to know I don't have to complete every single assignment!! I was really getting bogged down trying to do it all which lead to much stress and frustration. For now, I will continue on with my lectures, focusing on really understanding the law and doing the assignments I find helpful, then start memorizing in July. Great advice!

Also, how important is prepping? I've just been skimming the CMR night before, but I've heard of others reading and highlighting the CMR before the next day's lecture.


Talked to some friends who are taking it this year. No one has done all of the assignments. I think skimming the CMR is fine the night before, especially if you don't know the subject matter. I don't agree with the highlighting of the CMR. The lecturers will tell you where to focus your energies (corporations questions love proxy parts). Why waste time on things you probably will not need to be that familiar with?

myrtlewinston
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Postby myrtlewinston » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:01 pm

Agreed. I don't want to waste brain space either.

UndecidedMN
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies) Now with MEE Predictions

Postby UndecidedMN » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:53 pm

I have complied a chart of the MEE subjects per bar exam of the UBE with predictions for July of 2015. The link is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ml64zv56n7mdq ... n.pdf?dl=0 It is also in the main dropbox folder. Dark blue means the subject was tested and light green means the subject was tested with another subject in the same question.

Some notes on the chart. First, the MEE is a set of 9 essay questions offered to every state in the country. Currently, 27 states (not CA, TX, or essentially FL through NY on the east coast) use some combination of MEE questions which means they will pick and choose which questions and how many questions they want in the respective state exam. UBE states (currently 14) all use the same six questions. This chart is the subjects of the UBE/MEE exam since its inception in Feb 2011. The subjects were pulled from Missouri and Minnesota's Board of Law Examiners reports and respective answers. Now these predictions are based on educated guesses of what has been tested in the past. I also looked at years prior to 2011 looking for trends as well but threaded lightly using that data. Use these predictions at your own risk, but again I am trying to help where I can. If you are in a time crunch, it might be better to focus on these subjects for the MEE. Note that on average the MBE makes up 42% of the points of the UBE/MEE. This is even higher if you include Civ Pro as a MBE subject for all years. So on average the 7 MBE subjects make up a total of 62.6% of your total exam points. Some quick math, 82.6% of your exam on average will come from MPT (20%) and MBE. The highest required pass score for UBE states is 268 or 67% of the exam. So theoretically, if you get 81.1% of those points, essentially a B- minus, you get a 268 without ever getting one point from the rest of the MEE. Just a thought.

Now notes on the predictions: First, Civ Pro has essentially always been tested on the MEE. However, last bar exam it also became a MBE subject and was still used as an essay question. I still believe it is on there until I see differently. Second, Except for once, there has always been a Family Law, Trusts, or Wills (Decedent's Estates) question. Except for once, only one of those three subjects has been on the exam at any one time. Because Wills was just tested, most likely it will be either Family Law or Trusts. Third, Conflict of Laws has never been tested and from what I have been told where it has appeared elsewhere it has been with another subject and never a standalone question. Fourth, Agency is only tested as combined with another subject. Think of a situation like is a company liable for its employee's tort. Fifth, Commercial Paper is not on the UBE any longer and I am not sure if essays for this subject are even offered by the NBCE. Sixth, there will be at least three MBE subjects on the MEE portion of the exam. Seventh, would be surprised it there is a Secured Transactions question.

Take this information and predictions with a grain of salt. I have spent a couple of hours researching and writing this. I cannot guarantee this is right, but I believe these are very educated guesses as to what the MEE will comprise of. PM any questions. GL.

old_soul
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Postby old_soul » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:59 pm

PeggyCarter wrote:
rhs100 wrote:
UndecidedMN wrote:
Only during prep. I don't think they would like it if you try to short answer the exam.


right ... so during the real exam did you have time to write out everything within time, given you didn't practice writing full exams? I guess the short answers help you learn the law well so maybe during the actual thing you dont have to think too much?


Not the OP but had kind of a similar "short answer" approach. I handwrote the exam and my completely unscientific assumption was that I could drill the law into my head/gain muscle memory by writing out rule statements repeatedly. One of the ways I practiced essays was writing out rule statements only for an essay and making sure it took no more than 25-30 minutes (I always outlined for 10 minutes, which left about 20+ minutes for fact analysis). I practiced more essays because I spent less time on them. On the actual test, I didn't feel pressed for time and on my stronger subjects had about 3-5 minutes left over. My problems were BLL memorization, so for anyone whose main issue is applying law to facts, this approach won't work.



Explain this to me again. You stated that you wrote only rule statements? But then you took 25-30 minutes on them?

--My issue is also just BLL memorization. I can apply the facts pretty well enough to score 8/10 or above if I know the law.

UndecidedMN
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Postby UndecidedMN » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:34 pm

old_soul wrote:
PeggyCarter wrote:
rhs100 wrote:
UndecidedMN wrote:
Only during prep. I don't think they would like it if you try to short answer the exam.


right ... so during the real exam did you have time to write out everything within time, given you didn't practice writing full exams? I guess the short answers help you learn the law well so maybe during the actual thing you dont have to think too much?


Not the OP but had kind of a similar "short answer" approach. I handwrote the exam and my completely unscientific assumption was that I could drill the law into my head/gain muscle memory by writing out rule statements repeatedly. One of the ways I practiced essays was writing out rule statements only for an essay and making sure it took no more than 25-30 minutes (I always outlined for 10 minutes, which left about 20+ minutes for fact analysis). I practiced more essays because I spent less time on them. On the actual test, I didn't feel pressed for time and on my stronger subjects had about 3-5 minutes left over. My problems were BLL memorization, so for anyone whose main issue is applying law to facts, this approach won't work.



Explain this to me again. You stated that you wrote only rule statements? But then you took 25-30 minutes on them?

--My issue is also just BLL memorization. I can apply the facts pretty well enough to score 8/10 or above if I know the law.


I think he just misspoke as 25-30 minutes I believe is what you will do for each essay question. I will try and give an example from a made up question here of what I did. If the law is wrong, please forgive me, but I this should give you the format.

Adam wants to buy Betty's painting, calls and leaves a message on her voicemail. Betty in need of money calls him back and says I will sell you the painting for $450. Adam thinks about it, agrees and sends a check for 450 to Betty's address in the mail with the memo saying for "Full Payment for Betty's Painting". The next day, before Betty gets the check she wins 10,000 playing slots. She now doesn't need the money, calls Adam and says "Sorry I don't need the money so I am not selling the painting." Adam furious wants the painting and sues. Who wins?

Paragraph 1 - Contract is a goods contract so UCC applies not common law.

Paragraph 2 - Statute of Frauds? Statute of Fraud applies to goods transactions 500+. 450 selling price, SOF does not apply.

Paragraph 3 - Offer, Acceptance, Consideration for enforceable contract. Offer, phone call by Betty to Adam selling the painting. Adam acceptance by mailing check under the mailbox rule. Consideration is 450. Contract is valid.

Paragraph 4 - Mailbox Rule - Adam accepted offer at time of mailing check. Contract is enforceable once check is mailed with memo. Vaild contract enforceable.

Paragraph 5 - Contract is valid and enforceable. Betty could claim financial duress, but not valid to make contract voidable. Adam gets painting.

You can see the general idea of what I did. Only takes 5 min to write it out. You could even go quick by just writing the BLL of the issue such as "Paragraph 4 - Mailbox Rule, Paragraph 5- Contract valid, no duress, Adam gets painting."

You need to grade yourself truthfully when you do this. If you don't have it in your answer and it is in the sample answer, go over it.

Hope this helps, good luck.

myrtlewinston
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies) Now with MEE Predictions

Postby myrtlewinston » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:16 pm

It certainly helps, thanks!

PeggyCarter
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:44 am

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Postby PeggyCarter » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:33 am

old_soul wrote:
PeggyCarter wrote:
Not the OP but had kind of a similar "short answer" approach. I handwrote the exam and my completely unscientific assumption was that I could drill the law into my head/gain muscle memory by writing out rule statements repeatedly. One of the ways I practiced essays was writing out rule statements only for an essay and making sure it took no more than 25-30 minutes (I always outlined for 10 minutes, which left about 20+ minutes for fact analysis). I practiced more essays because I spent less time on them. On the actual test, I didn't feel pressed for time and on my stronger subjects had about 3-5 minutes left over. My problems were BLL memorization, so for anyone whose main issue is applying law to facts, this approach won't work.


Explain this to me again. You stated that you wrote only rule statements? But then you took 25-30 minutes on them?

--My issue is also just BLL memorization. I can apply the facts pretty well enough to score 8/10 or above if I know the law.


It took that long because I handwrote everything. I practiced by writing out entire rule statements which were based off of model answers from Themis and the sample answers from past exams. Of course bar prep model answers are going to be extremely detailed, but I noticed many of the sample passing answers had thorough rule statements too, so I thought my best chance was to get the wording as correct as possible (and because I had so many rules written out, I also sometimes used my practice essays as study sheets instead of flash cards).

The other poster gave a great example above of outlining, but I meant actually writing entire sentences/paragraphs like on the actual exam. It's tedious, but I was able to spit out complete rules on the actual exam, and I think it helped me on the MBE because I had the rules memorized. I'm not really recommending method because it does waste a lot of time and might be useless if you're a laptop examinee. I wouldn't have used this method if I had used my laptop on the exam, but I wanted to get comfortable handwriting so this method worked out for me.

old_soul
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Postby old_soul » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:15 am

UndecidedMN wrote:
rhs100 wrote:
UndecidedMN wrote:One of the things i did which I felt got me about 90% out of what I needed to get out of an essay was essentially "quick" answer them. So I would read the question and essentially short answer my answer. Example, lets say I saw an issue with contracts, here is what I wrote.

Contract = Service, Common Law applies. Personal Services contract, only damages, no specific performance only possible injunction. Its essentially issue spotting and quickly making sure you got the law right when you look up the answer. You not spending time writing out a whole paragraph or two about Jim Bean was supposed to make bourbon for Jack Daniels and this is a service contract. Service contracts are not governed by the ucc, but only common law.......I felt it took about half the time then actually writing the whole thing out which let me learn more by doing more essays. Besides, you want to see what you are doing wrong not wasting time reinforcing what you have right.


You did this during prep only right? Or did you actually short answer on the real exam too?


Only during prep. I don't think they would like it if you try to short answer the exam.


Do you think it's a bad strategy to go through all the Barbri prompts and to memorize those rule statements given? Can this be the bulk of my study strategy for the Essays? The remainder for the essays to just resort to one pager rules sheets per subject.

UndecidedMN
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Postby UndecidedMN » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:44 pm

old_soul wrote:
UndecidedMN wrote:
rhs100 wrote:
UndecidedMN wrote:One of the things i did which I felt got me about 90% out of what I needed to get out of an essay was essentially "quick" answer them. So I would read the question and essentially short answer my answer. Example, lets say I saw an issue with contracts, here is what I wrote.

Contract = Service, Common Law applies. Personal Services contract, only damages, no specific performance only possible injunction. Its essentially issue spotting and quickly making sure you got the law right when you look up the answer. You not spending time writing out a whole paragraph or two about Jim Bean was supposed to make bourbon for Jack Daniels and this is a service contract. Service contracts are not governed by the ucc, but only common law.......I felt it took about half the time then actually writing the whole thing out which let me learn more by doing more essays. Besides, you want to see what you are doing wrong not wasting time reinforcing what you have right.


You did this during prep only right? Or did you actually short answer on the real exam too?


Only during prep. I don't think they would like it if you try to short answer the exam.


Do you think it's a bad strategy to go through all the Barbri prompts and to memorize those rule statements given? Can this be the bulk of my study strategy for the Essays? The remainder for the essays to just resort to one pager rules sheets per subject.


What do you mean by Barbri prompts?

old_soul
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Postby old_soul » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:42 pm

UndecidedMN wrote:
old_soul wrote:
UndecidedMN wrote:
rhs100 wrote:
UndecidedMN wrote:One of the things i did which I felt got me about 90% out of what I needed to get out of an essay was essentially "quick" answer them. So I would read the question and essentially short answer my answer. Example, lets say I saw an issue with contracts, here is what I wrote.

Contract = Service, Common Law applies. Personal Services contract, only damages, no specific performance only possible injunction. Its essentially issue spotting and quickly making sure you got the law right when you look up the answer. You not spending time writing out a whole paragraph or two about Jim Bean was supposed to make bourbon for Jack Daniels and this is a service contract. Service contracts are not governed by the ucc, but only common law.......I felt it took about half the time then actually writing the whole thing out which let me learn more by doing more essays. Besides, you want to see what you are doing wrong not wasting time reinforcing what you have right.


You did this during prep only right? Or did you actually short answer on the real exam too?


Only during prep. I don't think they would like it if you try to short answer the exam.


Do you think it's a bad strategy to go through all the Barbri prompts and to memorize those rule statements given? Can this be the bulk of my study strategy for the Essays? The remainder for the essays to just resort to one pager rules sheets per subject.


What do you mean by Barbri prompts?


I meant the Essay book we receive with past bar qs.

hoppingabird
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:02 pm

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies) Now with MEE Predictions

Postby hoppingabird » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:34 pm

Someone previously mentioned MEE Predictions and I noticed that they actually made a very good chart with a very good explantion of the MEE and UBE and different states that give both tests.

I decided to take it one step further and not only give MEE predictions, but also attempt to predict subjects and topics. Since I passed the bar exam in a state that gives 6 MEE essay questions and failed in a UBE state, I will naturally attempt to predict only 6 MEE subjects and their respective topics.

1. Criminal Procedure: 4th amendment/ search and seizure stemming from a traffic stop.
2. Constitutional Law: Freedom of speech and state action.
3. Contracts: statute of frauds (this will be a very specific call of the question type essay - ignore all other red herrings or issues)
4. Wills/Trusts: Transfer of real estate held in trust or other transferring issues.
5. Civil Procedure: joinder or Erie
6. Secured Transaction: This will likely be the easiest question to rack up points on -- security interest, collateral, attachment, perfection.

UndecidedMN
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies) Now with MEE Predictions

Postby UndecidedMN » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:41 pm

hoppingabird wrote:Someone previously mentioned MEE Predictions and I noticed that they actually made a very good chart with a very good explantion of the MEE and UBE and different states that give both tests.

I decided to take it one step further and not only give MEE predictions, but also attempt to predict subjects and topics. Since I passed the bar exam in a state that gives 6 MEE essay questions and failed in a UBE state, I will naturally attempt to predict only 6 MEE subjects and their respective topics.

1. Criminal Procedure: 4th amendment/ search and seizure stemming from a traffic stop.
2. Constitutional Law: Freedom of speech and state action.
3. Contracts: statute of frauds (this will be a very specific call of the question type essay - ignore all other red herrings or issues)
4. Wills/Trusts: Transfer of real estate held in trust or other transferring issues.
5. Civil Procedure: joinder or Erie
6. Secured Transaction: This will likely be the easiest question to rack up points on -- security interest, collateral, attachment, perfection.


Interesting prediction. I really wouldn't try to predict which specific area in the subject because I just have no idea. However, they just tested Secured Transactions and Con Law in Feb and they have not tested them again on the subsequent test. So I would say no on them. Pretty much the same on Wills. I would be sure it will either be Family law or Trusts.

hoppingabird
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:02 pm

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies) Now with MEE Predictions

Postby hoppingabird » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:55 pm

UndecidedMN wrote:
hoppingabird wrote:Someone previously mentioned MEE Predictions and I noticed that they actually made a very good chart with a very good explantion of the MEE and UBE and different states that give both tests.

I decided to take it one step further and not only give MEE predictions, but also attempt to predict subjects and topics. Since I passed the bar exam in a state that gives 6 MEE essay questions and failed in a UBE state, I will naturally attempt to predict only 6 MEE subjects and their respective topics.

1. Criminal Procedure: 4th amendment/ search and seizure stemming from a traffic stop.
2. Constitutional Law: Freedom of speech and state action.
3. Contracts: statute of frauds (this will be a very specific call of the question type essay - ignore all other red herrings or issues)
4. Wills/Trusts: Transfer of real estate held in trust or other transferring issues.
5. Civil Procedure: joinder or Erie
6. Secured Transaction: This will likely be the easiest question to rack up points on -- security interest, collateral, attachment, perfection.



Interesting prediction. I really wouldn't try to predict which specific area in the subject because I just have no idea. However, they just tested Secured Transactions and Con Law in Feb and they have not tested them again on the subsequent test. So I would say no on them. Pretty much the same on Wills. I would be sure it will either be Family law or Trusts.


I understand what you are saying, but I don't think the model will always hold true to what they do on the subsequent test. I really have a strong feeling on Con Law.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests