July, 2016 Exam Update - How to Pass the Bar Exam (MEE Predictions, Tips, Outlines and Strategies) Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
UndecidedMN

Bronze

July, 2016 Exam Update - How to Pass the Bar Exam (MEE Predictions, Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Post by UndecidedMN » Sun May 24, 2015 12:07 am

Hello everyone,

When I first wrote this post two years ago, I had no idea how popular it would become. It has been great helping all of you and receiving all of the thank yous and well wishes. To be honest, it has become quite intimidating and exhilarating. It keeps growing every bar exam. The MEE predictions seem to really help a lot of people and puts a lot of pressure on me to make sure I get them right. With the curverball the NCBE threw last year, predicting is getting harder and harder.

I decided I wanted to do more beyond this posting, with more resources, tools, and better ways to help people. Over the past 5 months, I have been working on efficientbarprep.com. I am not selling anything there (maybe one day flashcards), everything is free. It just made sense as I could not keep up with the requests here. This is in no way to take away from the vibrant community here. Top Law Schools helped me when I was transferring schools and it is a great resource. You should still be on this site as much as you can.

I just feel I can help more people by having more control of how and what I post as well as how I can respond to questions. I will still respond to questions here, but the response time will be much slower. Thank you everyone for giving me the ideas and courage to make Efficient Bar Prep a reality. Please PM me with anything you wish to ask, and as always, GL.
Last edited by UndecidedMN on Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:51 am, edited 7 times in total.

waxecstatic

Bronze

Re: How to Pass the Bar Exam (Tips, Outlines and Strategies)

Post by waxecstatic » Sun May 24, 2015 11:33 am

Great post, where did you get those outlines from, did you write them yourself? Anyway, I didn't pass the MA bar and I got my results back as a result for the essays. Are the question numbers and essay scores necessarily correlated? I ask because I had some outstanding essays and it says I got a 2 (on a scale of 1-7) and some not so great essays and it says I got a 7...it doesn't make sense. I did very well on the essays and not well on the MBE. This time I'm using Adaptibar and the BarBri essay book for the essays. Good luck everyone! Thanks again for these outlines.

UndecidedMN

Bronze

Post by UndecidedMN » Sun May 24, 2015 11:47 am

waxecstatic wrote:Great post, where did you get those outlines from, did you write them yourself? Anyway, I didn't pass the MA bar and I got my results back as a result for the essays. Are the question numbers and essay scores necessarily correlated? I ask because I had some outstanding essays and it says I got a 2 (on a scale of 1-7) and some not so great essays and it says I got a 7...it doesn't make sense. I did very well on the essays and not well on the MBE. This time I'm using Adaptibar and the BarBri essay book for the essays. Good luck everyone! Thanks again for these outlines.
Yes, I generated those outlines myself. They are from my lecture notes and other sources. I am not sure what you mean by question numbers and essay scores being correlated. The problem is most states are extremely cagey about there essays, especially how they grade them. MA seems even more so because they don't use the MEE. Based on what I have seen in other jurisdictions, especially IL, the higher the essay score value the better it is. But again, I am just speculating. If it was MEE. I could point you to some specific model answers for the last couple of years. I would call MA's BLE and simply ask.

In relation to the MBE, I would strongly suggest you take Barbri's diagnostic test of 100 questions. I think they offer it right after Memorial Day and then you could see what subjects you are weak on. Hit those first and try to bring them up. MA needs a 270 and it sounds like you are ok on the essays so just a question of getting your MBE up. I am not sure if you used flashcards before, but I tell everyone, use the critical pass flashcards I recommend above. Hell even BarMax is ok. But you need to drill the subjects. You need to know the law before you can get the question right no matter how much you practice. Good luck and I can always answer more.

bluewin888

New

Post by bluewin888 » Sun May 24, 2015 11:59 am

Do you have evidence and con law outline for MBE?

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Sun May 24, 2015 12:05 pm

Go to a website called scribd.....it's basically an online portal of every document anyone has ever posted. If you pay for a one day subscription for like $8 you can find every bar outline. Just a general tip although the outlines the OP has posted are fantastic.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UndecidedMN

Bronze

Post by UndecidedMN » Sun May 24, 2015 12:07 pm

bluewin888 wrote:Do you have evidence and con law outline for MBE?
To be honest I didn't make one because I used flashcards. Whatever I felt I needed to add, I hand wrote on the cards. Seemed redundant to make an outline because the cards are setup like an outline.

Outis Onoma

Bronze

Post by Outis Onoma » Sun May 24, 2015 3:13 pm

Thanks for the great post, OP. You said you did 2000 MBE questions - all from barbri? Where did you fit in the MBE questions into your schedule? At this point I'm still watching the videos / reading the lecture notes. For now, should I only do MBE questions when prompted to by barbri?

UndecidedMN

Bronze

Post by UndecidedMN » Sun May 24, 2015 3:40 pm

Outis Onoma wrote:Thanks for the great post, OP. You said you did 2000 MBE questions - all from barbri? Where did you fit in the MBE questions into your schedule? At this point I'm still watching the videos / reading the lecture notes. For now, should I only do MBE questions when prompted to by barbri?
Yes, they were all from Barbri if I remember. I may have done some free ones from the NBCE. I just looked in my old MBE practice book and never mind the workshops, just the practice sets, diagnostic exams, and practice exams are I believe over 1500. Plus the workshops I believe are another 500. On top, I also believe the online ones maybe different so you should have more than enough. I would only really use adaptibar if i needed more sample questions because I was taking it a second time and did not want the same questions. The barbri questions should be enough to get you through learning how to answer the questions. The flashcards, lecture notes and outlines give you the tools to use to answer the questions.

Your going to be primarily watching videos and doing lecture notes for the first month. I tried to do about 50-100 questions in the subject after I completed it so see where I was in the practice sets. I can't remember if you did the workshop problems with the lectures, but do them when you can. But again getting through the lectures on-time is most important. I think I did all of the online questions from barbri because I then read the answers and explanations for each one. You really should read all of the explanation of the answers, especially the ones you get wrong. That will help you really understand why the answer is right and why what you chose is wrong. It takes more time, but really worth it.

I know I did at least a 1000 questions in the 2 weeks before the exam. Actually a helpful tip, a few of my friends and I would do about 20-50 questions together. Then see which ones most or all of us got wrong. We go discuss why we thought the answer was one way but really was another. That made it stick and they were usually hard questions

One thing I remember we picked up on contracts was the differences between common and ucc law. I am sure there are other subjects as well with little things that change based on some weird fact The bar exam loves to try and trick you with that. I know there a few critical pass flash cards specifically dealing with that. In fact my MEE essay in contract was all about the differences between service contracts and ucc contracts. Knowing the difference got me a good grade I am sure on the essay and the MBE because a little change in the fact pattern some people might not pick up on and make them choose the wrong answer. GL

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Sun May 24, 2015 6:41 pm

What did your daily schedule look like in May, June, and July? (I assume it started slowly and ramped up after the July 4th weekend)

What were you doing when Barbri only assigned 2-3 hours of work for a given day?

Thanks! This is extremely helpful!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UndecidedMN

Bronze

Post by UndecidedMN » Sun May 24, 2015 7:46 pm

mr.hands wrote:What did your daily schedule look like in May, June, and July? (I assume it started slowly and ramped up after the July 4th weekend)

What were you doing when Barbri only assigned 2-3 hours of work for a given day?

Thanks! This is extremely helpful!
I tried to find my summer schedule for last year, but wasn't able to. I looked at this summer's schedule which I think is about the same to try and refresh my memory. I just noticed you don't have David Epstein for Contracts anymore, he was the absolute best (Just say "Epstein son" to anyone who had him and you will get a smile) . I know I did not start until after Memorial Day and even then started slowly. I had a lot of work besides the bar exam. I can tell you that I was almost behind from the beginning. I did Barbri Amp in the beginning, but that was before I got my flashcards from Critical Pass: http://criticalpass.refr.cc/T9L3259

They are much better for your time then AMP. I got them around the third week of June (I wish I got them sooner) and I was going at them at least an hour a day with them until two weeks before the exam when I was using them whenever I could.

So during the time Barbri only assigned 2-3 hours a day, I probably only did that much in the beginning. But that meant I had to do a ton more later. I had to learn Evidence and Crim Pro because I never took them. Also Property was my worst subject in law school. I used mnemonics on Property which were given in the lecture. They did help some, especially with covenants and easements and all that crap. Also check these cards out for them" http://www.cram.com/flashcards/real-pro ... cs-2759287

In short, the first couple of weeks, I only spent probably 3-4 hours a day. It turned into 6-7 second half of june and then my family did not see me after the 4th of July. Just tell everyone that, family and friends that after the 4th you are not around until August. The video lectures end about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks before the exam. You want to have them and your lecture notes done by then. A week after the 4th of July, you want to spend making sure all of your flash cards are done, short-outlines complete (use mine if you wish) and spend the last two weeks drilling constantly, doing timed MBEs and essays. Your going to be spending 12-15 hours probably the last two weeks each day.

GL

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Sun May 24, 2015 9:13 pm

Thanks for your advice. I hope you don't mind my asking you a few questions.

Did you read the CMR on each topic? Did you find the lecture handouts sufficient?

We still have Epstein!

UndecidedMN

Bronze

Post by UndecidedMN » Sun May 24, 2015 10:30 pm

myrtlewinston wrote:Thanks for your advice. I hope you don't mind my asking you a few questions.

Did you read the CMR on each topic? Did you find the lecture handouts sufficient?

We still have Epstein!
You'll love Epstein. Never seen a guy more infatuated with Kinky Freeman or Sharon Stone.

Barely touched the CMR. Really only if I had a question on something because I could not figure it out from the notes or flashcards. Only used The lecture handouts, when I filled them in from the lecture, are more than enough with the Flashcards. During my bar prep, I took my lecture notes and added them to the flashcards as needed and never looked at the notes or CMR again. I just looked at my flashcards and there were 42 just on Torts. So I think you will be fine with them.

TBH, I think I only opened the CMR like 5 times after the second week. I was reading it prior to the lecture of the day because Barbri told me to, but felt it was redundant and not worth it. When it comes to the MEE, lecture notes are more than enough with my short-outlines to get you the necessary points.

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Sun May 24, 2015 11:04 pm

Thanks! I have the Critical Flash app and that's what I did with Torts. I''ll check the CMR for exam tips, charts and NY distinctions, but won't read it unless I have to.

ETA: Do you know of a state specific version of Critical Flash?
Last edited by myrtlewinston on Sun May 24, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thewaterlanding

New

Post by thewaterlanding » Sun May 24, 2015 11:55 pm

What is the difference between the App version of the flashcards and the hard copy?

Is it just a matter of how you study best?

UndecidedMN

Bronze

Post by UndecidedMN » Sun May 24, 2015 11:59 pm

thewaterlanding wrote:What is the difference between the App version of the flashcards and the hard copy?

Is it just a matter of how you study best?
I do not believe there is any difference content wise. The cards are about 5 inches vertical and 7 inches width so bigger than almost all cell phones. I just think they are easier to read and add notes to so I paid the extra money for the flash cards. I can read pleasure books on a kindle, but just don't like reading required stuff unless it is on paper (yeah I know I am a tree killer).

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Mon May 25, 2015 12:00 am

I wanted it quickly, that's all. However, the programme does crash. I lost some notes that I made.

UndecidedMN

Bronze

Post by UndecidedMN » Mon May 25, 2015 12:01 am

myrtlewinston wrote:I wanted it quickly, that's all. However, the programme does crash. I lost some notes that I made.
Sorry about that, I don't know the guy who makes it. Maybe email him and see if he will put it towards hard copy. Thats why I love paper. :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Mon May 25, 2015 12:06 am

To pass the exam, I'll kill a tree if necessary. ;-)

Unfortunately, I can't use your short outlines as I'm in a different jurisdiction. Do you know of a state-specific equivalent of Critical Flash?

UndecidedMN

Bronze

Post by UndecidedMN » Mon May 25, 2015 12:12 am

myrtlewinston wrote:To pass the exam, I'll kill a tree if necessary. ;-)

Unfortunately, I can't use your short outlines as I'm in a different jurisdiction. Do you know of a state-specific equivalent of Critical Flash?

I think you mean Critical Pass, if so no I am sorry. But every state except Louisiana uses the MBE which is what the flashcards are made for. As to state specific outlines, you will have to go through your prep course I guess. I am sure my outlines should help though, except for state specific subjects like maybe Indian Law or PR, they should be helpful. Sorry I can't help more.

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Mon May 25, 2015 12:38 am

Thanks for the awesome post!

Do you recommend making our own outlines? If so, when is the best time to start on those? After we finish a subject by lecture? In July?

Also, do you think outlines of your length (just a few pages in length) are most useful?

UndecidedMN

Bronze

Post by UndecidedMN » Mon May 25, 2015 1:00 am

orangecup wrote:Thanks for the awesome post!

Do you recommend making our own outlines? If so, when is the best time to start on those? After we finish a subject by lecture? In July?

Also, do you think outlines of your length (just a few pages in length) are most useful?
There is always value when you make your own outlines because you will retain information as you make them. However, I did not make any MBE outlines in the traditional sense. I took my lecture notes and compared them to the Critical Pass flash cards. I then added from my lecture notes to the cards. Now please note, I am not saying MBE flashcards are the only way to go, you can outline. However, I love how easy it was to drill with the flash cards. I would walk 4 blocks to a starbucks with a subject in my hand and just go through them as I walked. I would leave my phone so I had no distractions and just sat there and drilled. An outline is a clear and concise way of laying out all the information of the subject you are studying. The flashcards did that for me and I felt I could not make a better outline then what they provided.

In relation to the MEE, I think my short-outlines are really good for what they were designed for. First, you have to watch the lecture and take the notes yourself. You just need to dedicate that time to get an initial understanding of the subject matter (I never took family law or wills & trust for example). But the short-outlines I think are perfect for review of all of the major concepts. I know I nailed the Family Law essay my bar exam. Basically, I used these outlines the last two weeks. I made them once I watched all of the videos, so I did not do it right away. But they came from notes and from the CMR where I felt I was weak. What I believe you pay Barbri for is the lectures and lecture notes and that is what I used primarily for my outlines. I did not look at my CMR or Big outline for those subjects at all once the outlines were created. You just don't have the time to constantly go back to them for specific answers. Especially when you are doing practice questions two weeks before the bar. Remember, you are not trying for perfect essays (fives), but threes or fours. To be honest, I was able to see that in Illinois on the July 2014 exam that the average was below a 3 and most people pass. Take the easy points and move on. Get the D-, pass, and get on with life as an attorney.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

numbertwo88

Bronze

Post by numbertwo88 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:04 am

I made my own outlines for every MBE subject and every essay subject. I'd definitely aim to have them all done by July 1st 1- at that point you can just read and review them and have spend all of your other time practicing. You don't want to waste much of July learning material from scratch.

The essay subject outlines weren't as detailed as the MBE subjects - they literally just covered the most frequently tested areas on the exam.

orangecup

Bronze

Post by orangecup » Mon May 25, 2015 1:11 am

numbertwo88 wrote:

I made my own outlines for every MBE subject and every essay subject. I'd definitely aim to have them all done by July 1st 1- at that point you can just read and review them and have spend all of your other time practicing. You don't want to waste much of July learning material from scratch.

The essay subject outlines weren't as detailed as the MBE subjects - they literally just covered the most frequently tested areas on the exam.
I'm using Kaplan and they have NY subjects up til July 15 (the core is finished by July 10). Does that mean I should be working ahead of schedule (e.g., instead of spending 3 days on Property, doing it in 2..... OR spending time on weekends)?

UndecidedMN

Bronze

Post by UndecidedMN » Mon May 25, 2015 1:13 am

numbertwo88 wrote:

Agree with Numbertwo. Although I know the online version (barbri) of lectures does not finish up this year until the 8th. I believe last year it ended after the 4th as well. You want to use the last two weeks doing practice and going over outlines and flash cards, not making them. You can definitely use mine if you wish.

UndecidedMN

Bronze

Post by UndecidedMN » Mon May 25, 2015 1:27 am

orangecup wrote:
numbertwo88 wrote:

I'm using Kaplan and they have NY subjects up til July 15 (the core is finished by July 10). Does that mean I should be working ahead of schedule (e.g., instead of spending 3 days on Property, doing it in 2..... OR spending time on weekends)?
They are doing MBE subjects until the 10th? I hope not. Barbri finishes those (in MN anyway) by June 23.

I do not recommend making any sort of outline until you have watched the lecture of the subject, especially on subjects you have not taken. The lecturers will tell you where to focus your time because they know where the bar exam likes to hit. If you look at your prep book outline, you might see a ton of stuff on product liability, but the lecturer may say skip it because NY never tests it. Worst case, spend most of your time on the MBE and let your essays suffer. So spend the three days on Property. You just may want to get your MBE outlines done early, buy flashcards, or use someone else's outline.

I just looked at NY on Barbri's schedule. Man that sucks. Can't wait for that state to become UBE. Going back to your question, putting extra time on the weekends is never a bad thing. However, be careful you do not burn yourself out before the 4th of July. That is when you will go hardcore. I know during June I only spent 3-4 hours a weekend so I could maintain my sanity. Hope I answered your question.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”