Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

GULCPerson

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby GULCPerson » Sun May 24, 2015 12:02 pm

So today is my first "Review Lecture Notes and Handouts" task, and I have no idea what I'm actually supposed to be doing. The note on the portal is all about identifying your weaknesses based on MBE practice results, but the directed study schedule hasn't even had me do any MBE practice questions yet. I know this came up earlier in the thread too, but anyone have suggestions on what's working for them?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sun May 24, 2015 12:10 pm

Nanosoft wrote:Was kinda surprised/demoralized/frightened when the first practice essay also had Property issues when I have only been following the course and preparing for Contracts. Ugh.

Makes sense as mixed-issues is how it will be on the bar. Still, what an eye-opener. I've got SO MUCH to do.

Whaaat I haven't had any mixed issues yet. That would have been extremely demoralizing for me since property is my worst subject. Oh well, on to the next task! (That's what I tell myself so I don't quit)

Btw, doing this stuff on the weekends is the worst.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Sun May 24, 2015 1:19 pm

IamIn wrote:
zot1 wrote:So I guess reading was taking so long because I read the full outline as opposed to the recommended segment. But how can people see the page numbers on the website? Are there any?

If I understand your question correctly, there are no page numbers, but it tells you which sections to read (e.g., "Formation of Ks --End").

I am actually enjoying the Contracts Lectures, but can't stand reading the long outline.. It puts me to sleep.. :roll:

Ah! I figured it out. It tells per chapter. It wasn't so bad to just read/skim the whole outline at once tho. Although, I think I'm not supposed to.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Sun May 24, 2015 2:39 pm

Pleasye wrote:
Nanosoft wrote:Was kinda surprised/demoralized/frightened when the first practice essay also had Property issues when I have only been following the course and preparing for Contracts. Ugh.

Makes sense as mixed-issues is how it will be on the bar. Still, what an eye-opener. I've got SO MUCH to do.

Whaaat I haven't had any mixed issues yet. That would have been extremely demoralizing for me since property is my worst subject. Oh well, on to the next task! (That's what I tell myself so I don't quit)

BTW in the messages it says that we are not really expected to know the property and wills parts of the essay.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Sun May 24, 2015 2:49 pm

GULCPerson wrote:So today is my first "Review Lecture Notes and Handouts" task, and I have no idea what I'm actually supposed to be doing. The note on the portal is all about identifying your weaknesses based on MBE practice results, but the directed study schedule hasn't even had me do any MBE practice questions yet. I know this came up earlier in the thread too, but anyone have suggestions on what's working for them?

I was in the same position (I believe I was the one who brought it up before). I basically just outlined the lecture handouts I had. I haven't had any MBE practice questions scheduled yet.

FloRida15

Postby FloRida15 » Sun May 24, 2015 4:28 pm

Anyone else prepping for the Florida Exam? How are your MBE scores so far? I feel like a lot of questions about stuff not covered. Maybe that's the point, to learn through the questions. But bad scores are demotivating... Keep plugging away I guess and hope for the best.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Sun May 24, 2015 9:07 pm

I felt oddly better after this moment in the Advanced Sales lecture:

Nanosoft

Postby Nanosoft » Sun May 24, 2015 10:42 pm

zot1 wrote:
Pleasye wrote:

BTW in the messages it says that we are not really expected to know the property and wills parts of the essay.

I'm taking PA and they definitely didn't warn me that we were going to be hit with separate issues. I'm guessing that since the jurisdictions seem to be structured slightly differently, others may have had different experiences.

But yeah, my first practice essay was divided. First two questions were on satisfaction contracts/parole evidence. But the second part of the essay was on life tenant/trade fixtures.

Of course, since Property is the next section (Which I've just started), I'm assuming that I'm meant to go back and look through the practice. Still, kind of weird, if they had waited, it would have been a perfect practice essay for the second week.

Nanosoft

Postby Nanosoft » Sun May 24, 2015 10:47 pm

sd5289 wrote:
GULCPerson wrote:So today is my first "Review Lecture Notes and Handouts" task, and I have no idea what I'm actually supposed to be doing. The note on the portal is all about identifying your weaknesses based on MBE practice results, but the directed study schedule hasn't even had me do any MBE practice questions yet. I know this came up earlier in the thread too, but anyone have suggestions on what's working for them?

I was in the same position (I believe I was the one who brought it up before). I basically just outlined the lecture handouts I had. I haven't had any MBE practice questions scheduled yet.

I've personally been condensing the lecture outlines and specific MBE notes into a hand-written notebook. Probably not for everyone, but hand-writing has always helped tremendously with my memorization.

vabartimes2

Postby vabartimes2 » Mon May 25, 2015 10:26 am

I passed VA in Feb with Themis, I work full time, graduated from law school 10 years ago, and had to do flex study. Supplemented with Critical Pass and Adaptibar. I started Themis MBE subjects about a month before the recommended start date for directed study that Themis provided. If you're not able to commit 8-10 hours a day, just some tips-start early obviously. Also, I only read the full outlines for the most heavily-tested VA subjects, e.g. wills, domestic relations, VA Civ pro just to really learn those topics. I agree with what the Themis advisors suggest about the full outlines, and mostly using them to help clarify things the lectures don't. I feel like a lot of other posters who prepped hard for the Feb 2015 MBE and still walked out feeling like they had no clue. I felt very prepared for the essays using Themis. I completed 75% of the course, and did all of the practice essays as well as about 12 years of VA Bar essays, obviously you'll see many of the same questions because Themis uses actual questions. I copy/pasted the questions and model answers and made my own essay notebook to read over, great for learning law and formatting especially in a concise manner. I recommend Themis, wish everyone well, it's a grind if you're working especially, but doable.

IamIn

Postby IamIn » Mon May 25, 2015 11:20 am

Nanosoft wrote:
sd5289 wrote:

I've personally been condensing the lecture outlines and specific MBE notes into a hand-written notebook. Probably not for everyone, but hand-writing has always helped tremendously with my memorization.

I've just ordered Critical Pass flashcards, and thinking to use them for review. Will see how it goes..

IamIn

Postby IamIn » Mon May 25, 2015 11:23 am

vabartimes2 wrote:I passed VA in Feb with Themis, I work full time, graduated from law school 10 years ago, and had to do flex study. Supplemented with Critical Pass and Adaptibar. I started Themis MBE subjects about a month before the recommended start date for directed study that Themis provided. If you're not able to commit 8-10 hours a day, just some tips-start early obviously. Also, I only read the full outlines for the most heavily-tested VA subjects, e.g. wills, domestic relations, VA Civ pro just to really learn those topics. I agree with what the Themis advisors suggest about the full outlines, and mostly using them to help clarify things the lectures don't. I feel like a lot of other posters who prepped hard for the Feb 2015 MBE and still walked out feeling like they had no clue. I felt very prepared for the essays using Themis. I completed 75% of the course, and did all of the practice essays as well as about 12 years of VA Bar essays, obviously you'll see many of the same questions because Themis uses actual questions. I copy/pasted the questions and model answers and made my own essay notebook to read over, great for learning law and formatting especially in a concise manner. I recommend Themis, wish everyone well, it's a grind if you're working especially, but doable.

Thank you, very helpful! So do I understand correctly that there is no great need to spend a lot of time reading full outlines? They take so much time, and I don't think I memorize anything reading them.

vabartimes2

Postby vabartimes2 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:50 pm

IamIn wrote:
vabartimes2 wrote:I passed VA in Feb with Themis, I work full time, graduated from law school 10 years ago, and had to do flex study. Supplemented with Critical Pass and Adaptibar. I started Themis MBE subjects about a month before the recommended start date for directed study that Themis provided. If you're not able to commit 8-10 hours a day, just some tips-start early obviously. Also, I only read the full outlines for the most heavily-tested VA subjects, e.g. wills, domestic relations, VA Civ pro just to really learn those topics. I agree with what the Themis advisors suggest about the full outlines, and mostly using them to help clarify things the lectures don't. I feel like a lot of other posters who prepped hard for the Feb 2015 MBE and still walked out feeling like they had no clue. I felt very prepared for the essays using Themis. I completed 75% of the course, and did all of the practice essays as well as about 12 years of VA Bar essays, obviously you'll see many of the same questions because Themis uses actual questions. I copy/pasted the questions and model answers and made my own essay notebook to read over, great for learning law and formatting especially in a concise manner. I recommend Themis, wish everyone well, it's a grind if you're working especially, but doable.

Thank you, very helpful! So do I understand correctly that there is no great need to spend a lot of time reading full outlines? They take so much time, and I don't think I memorize anything reading them.

For me no, and my advisors stressed this as well. The Themis advisors were really good at giving alternative strategies to maximize your time. I read the full outlines only for a handful of state topics that are tested most (Themis gave a chart of subject frequency). For a few subjects that I never took in law school, like secured transactions, I skimmed (no more than 20-30mins) the outline before starting the lecture to just give me some context. That was helpful. For me I mostly used the outlines for context like that and also for clarifying tricky concepts. Of course how you learn is a big part of it too. I know some folks in the Feb Themis thread remarked that they never cracked the subject books and all and did fine. I do think they helped me though.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:26 pm

Nanosoft wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Pleasye wrote:Whaaat I haven't had any mixed issues yet. That would have been extremely demoralizing for me since property is my worst subject. Oh well, on to the next task! (That's what I tell myself so I don't quit)

I'm taking PA and they definitely didn't warn me that we were going to be hit with separate issues. I'm guessing that since the jurisdictions seem to be structured slightly differently, others may have had different experiences.

But yeah, my first practice essay was divided. First two questions were on satisfaction contracts/parole evidence. But the second part of the essay was on life tenant/trade fixtures.

Of course, since Property is the next section (Which I've just started), I'm assuming that I'm meant to go back and look through the practice. Still, kind of weird, if they had waited, it would have been a perfect practice essay for the second week.

I see. Yeah, Themis definitely still has some stuff to fix. I don't mind it too much yet though.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:30 pm

Starting to feel like I'm not necessarily using my time too wisely. I created an outline (study aid) when I was asked to review the handout after the lecture. However, I got done with the lectures and hadn't committed most of the stuff to memory. Like I think I could recall stuff during the MBE, but probably couldn't write out specific rules for essays. So now I'm creating a new study aid (this would be the second for contracts...) that I think helps me remember better (I have the first 5 chapters entirely memorized), but it's taking a while. I hope it pays off later on.

Happy holiday, everybody!

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Mon May 25, 2015 1:35 pm

Tagging in for CA bar.

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Mon May 25, 2015 1:56 pm

Pleasye wrote:

Yeah, idk what I'm going to do because I don't have the self-discipline to put in full days on the weekends. :lol:

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon May 25, 2015 2:39 pm

kjartan wrote:Yeah, idk what I'm going to do because I don't have the self-discipline to put in full days on the weekends. :lol:

Yeah, I was not very productive this weekend. Hopefully as we get closer to the exam I will feel more pressure to do 7 days a week. I'm treating today as a normal study day even though we technically have it off to make up for my lack of productivity.

Also, I finally got all the same issues as the model answer on a practice essay!

misterjames

Postby misterjames » Mon May 25, 2015 3:04 pm

zot1 wrote:Starting to feel like I'm not necessarily using my time too wisely. I created an outline (study aid) when I was asked to review the handout after the lecture. However, I got done with the lectures and hadn't committed most of the stuff to memory. Like I think I could recall stuff during the MBE, but probably couldn't write out specific rules for essays. So now I'm creating a new study aid (this would be the second for contracts...) that I think helps me remember better (I have the first 5 chapters entirely memorized), but it's taking a while. I hope it pays off later on.

Yeah i'm with you. Just tried going over and making flashcards for the first few contracts chapters but it seems too tedious. The upshot is that the lecture handouts seem good, and I appreciate the little examples thrown in. I think I may switch to condensing the lecture handouts into a written outline, or typing a condensed outline and printing it out to look at for review. I definitely want to get a routine down early so I'm not switching around 2-3 weeks in.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Mon May 25, 2015 5:14 pm

misterjames wrote:
zot1 wrote:Starting to feel like I'm not necessarily using my time too wisely. I created an outline (study aid) when I was asked to review the handout after the lecture. However, I got done with the lectures and hadn't committed most of the stuff to memory. Like I think I could recall stuff during the MBE, but probably couldn't write out specific rules for essays. So now I'm creating a new study aid (this would be the second for contracts...) that I think helps me remember better (I have the first 5 chapters entirely memorized), but it's taking a while. I hope it pays off later on.

Yeah i'm with you. Just tried going over and making flashcards for the first few contracts chapters but it seems too tedious. The upshot is that the lecture handouts seem good, and I appreciate the little examples thrown in. I think I may switch to condensing the lecture handouts into a written outline, or typing a condensed outline and printing it out to look at for review. I definitely want to get a routine down early so I'm not switching around 2-3 weeks in.

Got tired of working on my study aid, so I reviewed the final outline and took the first set of MBEs as my schedule suggested. DAMN! Barely made that 50% goal :oops:

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Mon May 25, 2015 5:59 pm

With a week in the books, I definitely haven't figured my groove out yet. I'm working full time, so this "day off" from both work and the "directed study" definitely feels nice. Still I'm stressed about my time management and I've found that studying for the bar for a few hours after work just isn't happening. I think I'm gonna switch to bar study in the morning...like 9-1, at the office, unless something needs to be due at work then...and then stay at the office till like 9.

I'm dealing with my stress the same way I did in law school --rather than study actual material, just acquire more. I feel like I've spent half my time trying to obtain as many "awesome study aids that will totally make me know everything" than just regular studying. I now possess via purchase or gift: Georgia Themis, 2 year old Barbri outlines, pmbr audio, baroutlines.com for Georgia, Critical Pass Flashcards, Steve Emanuel's strategies for the bar, and an assortment of home-made outlines. I've also spent an embarrassing amount of time debating whether to get adaptibar or barmax mbe questions.

---------------------
In any event, do yall think there could be any benefit to a weekly google hangout sesh? Or an email chain?

Also, do you think there'd be any benefit to collaborative flashcard creation on quizlet.com? There's already some up there, but I'm not comfortable they're from the themis outline and I'd rather at least put some thought into the curation. What'd be nice is to work with other people on them a bit to make sure they're comprehensive

Also, are we all on the same general MBE schedule?
My MBE order of study is
1. Contracts & Sales (this week)
2. Torts
3. Property
4. Constitutional Law & Crim (also, MPT)
5. Evidence & Civil Procedure

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon May 25, 2015 6:18 pm

Looks like CA order is a bit different:
Ks & Sales (this week)
Property
Torts
Crim & crim pro
Evidence
Con Law
Civ pro

Your new plan for studying sounds good, that way you will get bar study over with and can concentrate on work. But bro you have acquired WAAY more study materials than you could ever use (not that I haven't gone on the same insane what else will make me smarter for this test rampage - I actually have 2 boxes full of shit that my friend gave me "just in case").

gr8scOtt!

Postby gr8scOtt! » Mon May 25, 2015 6:20 pm

Debating getting the Critical Pass flashcards. Anyone know if the hardcopy ones are better over the electronic ones?

IamIn

Postby IamIn » Mon May 25, 2015 6:51 pm

gr8scOtt! wrote:Debating getting the Critical Pass flashcards. Anyone know if the hardcopy ones are better over the electronic ones?

I can't answer this question, but for me hardcopy always works better. I guess it's a question of preference.

One thing though: they sent me a 10% off coupon a couple of days after I almost bought the product (and entered my email address and everything), but didn't buy it at that moment. Hope that helps people to save some money.

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Mon May 25, 2015 8:09 pm

Does themis get paid by PBR and Fireball to advertise or something?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”