Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

zot1

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby zot1 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:28 pm

MrMustache wrote:Feeling a bit burned out. Decided to take today off, but can't shake off the guilty feeling of doing nothing...

Don't feel guilty! If you're gonna take the day off because you're feeling burned out, go all out and enjoy yourself. Otherwise you might not feel as rested tomorrow.

collegewriter

Postby collegewriter » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:34 pm

FINALLY figured out why the suggested pace fluctuates so wildly...it's based on the number of assignments you have assigned that day. I had 5 things assigned today so I had to complete 1.9% of the course, while yesterday I only had to do 1.5% over 3 assignments. Seems like it is not the percentage left/number of days to complete as I thought originally.

This isn't earth-shattering or helpful but hopefully it can help someone who is confused like I was.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:43 pm

collegewriter wrote:FINALLY figured out why the suggested pace fluctuates so wildly...it's based on the number of assignments you have assigned that day. I had 5 things assigned today so I had to complete 1.9% of the course, while yesterday I only had to do 1.5% over 3 assignments. Seems like it is not the percentage left/number of days to complete as I thought originally.

This isn't earth-shattering or helpful but hopefully it can help someone who is confused like I was.

Yessss that makes total sense! Thank you for that insight.

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:48 pm

How the fuck is a CPT .4%? I am done for the day. Fuck you Themis.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:33 pm

collegewriter wrote:FINALLY figured out why the suggested pace fluctuates so wildly...it's based on the number of assignments you have assigned that day. I had 5 things assigned today so I had to complete 1.9% of the course, while yesterday I only had to do 1.5% over 3 assignments. Seems like it is not the percentage left/number of days to complete as I thought originally.

I hope you're right. But, I had a 1.6% pace yesterday even though after I finished all of my tasks yesterday, it said I only completed 1.3% for the day.

caminante

Postby caminante » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:06 pm

sdphill wrote:
Raiden wrote:
milesdavisjd wrote:
Raiden wrote:Does anyone here actually read the outlines or the final review outlines that they task us to do? I feel unjustly enriched when I click complete without really doing said reading.

Take whatever "enrichment" you can get. I just hope you're reading the outlines at some point. I read them along with the lectures (or during).

I feel the lecture outlines are the most helpful. Are there other helpful resources from Themis we should regularly be using? Truth be told but I haven't really used their books yet.

I read the full outlines before the lectures, which is why I am behind... And for review, I usually go through their final review outline once to make sure I at least have a good framework of the law in my head.

I feel dumb, but... What is the final review outline, and how do you access it?

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:20 pm

Okay, I think we have established that Themis needs to re-work their percentage done thing to be a little more clear what the hell they represent.

gr8scOtt!

Postby gr8scOtt! » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:32 pm

anon sequitur wrote:Okay, I think we have established that Themis needs to re-work their percentage done thing to be a little more clear what the hell they represent.

I received an email today clarifying what it all meant. I assumed everyone else got the email as well, but if not...
.The “suggested pace” is how much of the program you need to do on that day to keep up with where you should be based on being 100% completed by the day before the bar exam. Keep in mind THAT most folks do not finish 100% of course. Strive for 85% and you should be in very fine shape as many of the assignments in the final weeks are practice, simulated exams and review. We assign them all so you have access to them; you may not do all if you are strong in a given subject or that type of testing. The “Course Progress” will help you determine this as you proceed and your scores aggregate.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:55 pm

caminante wrote:I feel dumb, but... What is the final review outline, and how do you access it?

It's the short outline and it's at the beginning of the MBE practice book.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:18 pm

Pleasye wrote:
caminante wrote:I feel dumb, but... What is the final review outline, and how do you access it?

It's the short outline and it's at the beginning of the MBE practice book.

They also sent it to all of us via Message on the Themis site a couple of weeks ago. It's a .zip file that has shortened outlines for all the subjects.

misterjames

Postby misterjames » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:32 am

Here's a question I've been wondering:

How much leniency do we get with respect to stating the law on the essays? Are we expected to state most of the rules in their entirety? Or is it acceptable to have the general gist of the rules?

I only ask because it seems really overwhelming to be expected to memorize every element of every rule. I just got my second graded essay back and while I got 93%(!!) on structure and 75% on analysis (a good deal lower than the first essay unfortunately), I only got 55% on the law, so my overall was a 74. Would that 55% be acceptable on test day? Not that I'm settling for that, but it would be somewhat comforting...

zot1

Postby zot1 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:24 pm

So for today, Themis gave me the following tasks:

-Review
-5 lectures
-MPT
-Review
-Practice essay
-Graded essay
-Practice MBE

:lol:

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:35 pm

Does anyone have any decent products liability/strict products liability notes? Im getting a bit mixed up for when a seller (i.e. not a manufacturer) is liable --either strictly or due to some sort of negligence. Is it based on when it's intended for consumption?

zot1

Postby zot1 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:43 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:Does anyone have any decent products liability/strict products liability notes? Im getting a bit mixed up for when a seller (i.e. not a manufacturer) is liable --either strictly or due to some sort of negligence. Is it based on when it's intended for consumption?

Sellers, distributors, and manufacturers are always strictly liable for product liability. They must be in the business of buying or selling the product at issue. That is, if I buy a bike from my cousin Vinny and then the bike crumbles when I ride it leading to injury, I can't sue Vinny based on strict liability.

You could use negligence in product liability cases, but it is highly disfavored because you have to prove that the party in question (seller, distributor OR manufacturer) was in fact negligent. While with strict liability, you just have to prove that there was a manufacturing design defect, a product design defect, or a failure to warn.

I hope that helps?

misterjames

Postby misterjames » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:55 pm

zot1 wrote:
lacrossebrother wrote:Does anyone have any decent products liability/strict products liability notes? Im getting a bit mixed up for when a seller (i.e. not a manufacturer) is liable --either strictly or due to some sort of negligence. Is it based on when it's intended for consumption?

Sellers, distributors, and manufacturers are always strictly liable for product liability. They must be in the business of buying or selling the product at issue. That is, if I buy a bike from my cousin Vinny and then the bike crumbles when I ride it leading to injury, I can't sue Vinny based on strict liability.

You could use negligence in product liability cases, but it is highly disfavored because you have to prove that the party in question (seller, distributor OR manufacturer) was in fact negligent. While with strict liability, you just have to prove that there was a manufacturing design defect, a product design defect, or a failure to warn.

I hope that helps?

I would also note in addition that the large outlined covered an exception regarding parties that would be considered a servicer and not a seller, like a doctor at a hospital using a specific medical tool wouldn't be liable in strict liability (double check both the content and this example). it was one of the practice MBEs questions.

MrMustache

Postby MrMustache » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:16 pm

zot1 wrote:So for today, Themis gave me the following tasks:

-Review
-5 lectures
-MPT
-Review
-Practice essay
-Graded essay
-Practice MBE

Yeah... Looks like it'll be an interesting day for you today :lol: I only need to learn all of Crim Pro, take 2 MBE sets, review Crim Law & Pro, and do a graded Crim Law essay. 8)

Raiden

Postby Raiden » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:41 pm

How are you all maintaining discipline and a focused schedule. I find myself being way too easily distracted, considering my wedding is soon after the Bar.

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:44 pm

The way I don't get distracted is I don't even start studying

MrMustache

Postby MrMustache » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:02 pm

Raiden wrote:How are you all maintaining discipline and a focused schedule. I find myself being way too easily distracted, considering my wedding is soon after the Bar.

I just imagine how much it'll suck to retake the bar. It also helps to calculate how much compounded interest I will accrue on my student loans if I fail the bar and can't work as an attorney for an additional 6 months.

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:03 pm

MrMustache wrote:
Raiden wrote:How are you all maintaining discipline and a focused schedule. I find myself being way too easily distracted, considering my wedding is soon after the Bar.

I just imagine how much it'll suck to retake the bar. It also helps to calculate how much compounded interest I will accrue on my student loans if I fail the bar and can't work as an attorney for an additional 6 months.

I work as an attorney even though I haven't passed the bar

habz

Postby habz » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:30 pm

Well i just totally screwed up the second half of the crim law/crim pro essay. yay

smalogna

Postby smalogna » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:33 pm

35% on my first crim law MBE set. :shock:

zot1

Postby zot1 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:53 pm

MrMustache wrote:
zot1 wrote:So for today, Themis gave me the following tasks:

-Review
-5 lectures
-MPT
-Review
-Practice essay
-Graded essay
-Practice MBE

Yeah... Looks like it'll be an interesting day for you today :lol: I only need to learn all of Crim Pro, take 2 MBE sets, review Crim Law & Pro, and do a graded Crim Law essay. 8)

But you were off yesterday :wink:

On other news, MPTs are rough! I mostly dislike the fact that they take so much time. I'd rather have several essays broken up into 30 min sessions, than 1 MPT for 90 mins... and my jurisdiction has 2 MPTs in a row. Woo hoo!

zot1

Postby zot1 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:54 pm

MrMustache wrote:

This!!! My mantra is totally one and done. I do not want to do this more than once and specially not once I'm working full-time because that would really suck. I want to get it past me. So understand this sacrifice is short and will be over soon. For now, I have no problem sitting at my desk and sucking it up.

milesdavisjd

Postby milesdavisjd » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:06 pm

How are you even functioning? I specifically planned my wedding for before the bar (we just got married on April 25 ), but I would have lost my mind if I was on the hook for a wedding. Are you the bride or the groom? :)

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”