Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

sdphill

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby sdphill » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:25 pm

milesdavisjd wrote:
zor wrote:
Underoath wrote:14.4% complete....and I have no idea what is going on. Starting torts now, strong subject for me so this should be good and fast and get me a little bit more caught up

S/he says, before seeing the hopeless abyss that is Clark.

Speaking of weird things... what is up with Clark's EARRING? Why is he wearing a diamond stud? Once I noticed it, I couldn't stop looking at it.

Is that a diamond stud? I thought it was a flat magnetic one. :shock: LOL! :-P I have the pleasure of having him again for Equity, so this should be fun.

Also, what is he looking at to his left all the time? I always want to submit a question and ask LOL

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:26 pm

MrMustache wrote:
milesdavisjd wrote:Oh yea, I wanted to share a helpful resource. Stanford Law has a bunch of Bar outlines posted on their site, which are quite helpful (particularly if you weren't much of an outliner as a means of study, like myself). I have modified each of them for my needs and checked it thoroughly, but it's a great foundation for your personal outlines.

https://www.law.stanford.edu/organizati ... m-outlines

Thank you. These are better than I expected.

Excellent. TYFT.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:27 pm

kgus22 wrote:
Onetimebaby wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:what does the "suggested pace" even mean? It says 2.2%, does that mean I should be working 2.2% faster, or that I should have finished 2.2% more of the material? I'm officially at 12.3%, but I've actually just blown off the essays, I am just going to do MBE until I feel like I have a solid understanding of the law, then work on state-specifics and essays.

It's how much you should do that day. If you complete that percentage it will actually tell you good job and to take a break.

I took the milestone today and felt like it went terrible but I actually did pretty well. I guess drilling a zillion MBEs and practice essays works.

I got smoked on milestone yesterday. I've been following the schedule, but it doesn't seem to require many MBEs. I feel like the bar is all about the MBE. How are people working through the MBEs?

I do the MBE in test mode then for the review just reread the entire review sheet - the question / answers / rationale. I write out the questions that I keep missing.

Is there any way to reset the MBEs that have been completed? It seems the only thing the module lets you do after completing the MBE is to review that question set, and not re-take a test.

I messaged them and they cannot reset the MBE's. They gave me some speech about how the MBE's are for learning your weak areas and you should study the outlines. But I feel like I learn more from the MBE's as well.

It's pretty ironic that they say that when the Civ Pro MBE workshop person just said that doing the MBE practice questions is the best way to absorb the rules.

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:53 pm

Just did the graded torts essay and I didn't even finish lol.

Raiden

Postby Raiden » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:59 pm

Does anyone here actually read the outlines or the final review outlines that they task us to do? I feel unjustly enriched when I click complete without really doing said reading.

InternationalShoe

Postby InternationalShoe » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:16 pm

MrMustache wrote:
milesdavisjd wrote:Oh yea, I wanted to share a helpful resource. Stanford Law has a bunch of Bar outlines posted on their site, which are quite helpful (particularly if you weren't much of an outliner as a means of study, like myself). I have modified each of them for my needs and checked it thoroughly, but it's a great foundation for your personal outlines.

I really like the "Opening Paragraphs" documents.

IamIn

Postby IamIn » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:05 pm

GULCPerson wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
GULCPerson wrote:Felt like I was having a pretty productive week, then I got that email that we're supposed to be at 35%(!!!) complete already. Ugh. All motivation replaced with depression and anxiety immediately.

:shock: Is this for every jurisdiction?

I'm actually not sure. I feel like we get emails from a dozen different Themis people, and they never include their job titles, so I generally don't know if it's a jurisdiction specific person.

The email I got says "Since we are in week four, you should be at approximately 35% overall progress if you are on track and started on May 18" and it doesn't contain anything that's otherwise state-specific.

I think that was a Virginia person. 35% is a third of the course, how do they expect us to be there at this point? I'm truly depressed with my 22%.

milesdavisjd

Postby milesdavisjd » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:11 pm

Raiden wrote:Does anyone here actually read the outlines or the final review outlines that they task us to do? I feel unjustly enriched when I click complete without really doing said reading.

Take whatever "enrichment" you can get. I just hope you're reading the outlines at some point. I read them along with the lectures (or during).

milesdavisjd

Postby milesdavisjd » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:14 pm

sd5289 wrote:
MrMustache wrote:

Excellent. TYFT.

You're welcome! What does TYFT mean? A search on Urban Dictionary yielded a very strange answer, which I am going to assume you didn't mean. :oops:

milesdavisjd

Postby milesdavisjd » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:17 pm

sdphill wrote:
milesdavisjd wrote:
zor wrote:
Underoath wrote:14.4% complete....and I have no idea what is going on. Starting torts now, strong subject for me so this should be good and fast and get me a little bit more caught up

S/he says, before seeing the hopeless abyss that is Clark.

Speaking of weird things... what is up with Clark's EARRING? Why is he wearing a diamond stud? Once I noticed it, I couldn't stop looking at it.

Is that a diamond stud? I thought it was a flat magnetic one. :shock: LOL! :-P I have the pleasure of having him again for Equity, so this should be fun.

Also, what is he looking at to his left all the time? I always want to submit a question and ask LOL

The left looking and saying "Good" at the end of EVERY lecture! :D
Last edited by milesdavisjd on Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:18 pm

milesdavisjd wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
MrMustache wrote:

Excellent. TYFT.

You're welcome! What does TYFT mean? A search on Urban Dictionary yielded a very strange answer, which I am going to assume you didn't mean. :oops:

It means thank you for that

kateebee

Postby kateebee » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:28 pm

MarcZero wrote:Trying to get through all of the MBE evidence lectures today and I am stalling out at Hearsay (Chapter 11 of 17). The presenter is a nice enough guy and uses a lot of examples, but all of the lectures are longer than the 20 minutes or so he says he tries to make them. Chapter 11 is 27 minutes long for example. I'm trying to actively learn this stuff and not just mindlessly fill in the blanks so I forget it all tomorrow. This bar studying is certainly a marathon and as a former 3L, I'm very out of shape.

Also, he REALLY hopes you did well on your assessment questions.

This is EXACTLY where I stalled out today and how I ended up here... I am SO over sitting on my couch studying all the time. There's no way I make it to 100% complete, probably not even 80% at this point. Wooof.

Raiden

Postby Raiden » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:46 pm

milesdavisjd wrote:
Raiden wrote:Does anyone here actually read the outlines or the final review outlines that they task us to do? I feel unjustly enriched when I click complete without really doing said reading.

Take whatever "enrichment" you can get. I just hope you're reading the outlines at some point. I read them along with the lectures (or during).

I feel the lecture outlines are the most helpful. Are there other helpful resources from Themis we should regularly be using? Truth be told but I haven't really used their books yet.

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:02 pm

Raiden wrote:
milesdavisjd wrote:

I feel the lecture outlines are the most helpful. Are there other helpful resources from Themis we should regularly be using? Truth be told but I haven't really used their books yet.

I prefer the outlines to the lecture, but you do you.

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:06 pm

kjartan wrote:Just did the graded torts essay and I didn't even finish lol.

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't finished an essay yet... :-\

MrMustache

Postby MrMustache » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:07 pm

Feeling a bit burned out. Decided to take today off, but can't shake off the guilty feeling of doing nothing...

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:08 pm

Raiden wrote:
milesdavisjd wrote:

I read the full outlines before the lectures, which is why I am behind... And for review, I usually go through their final review outline once to make sure I at least have a good framework of the law in my head.

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:10 pm

Does anybody else get the impression that Themis stacks difficult MBE questions to bring down scores?

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:17 pm

kjartan wrote:Does anybody else get the impression that Themis stacks difficult MBE questions to bring down scores?

I do a mix of Themis and AdaptiBar and I think the questions are very similar in difficulty, but that's my opinion.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:20 pm

kjartan wrote:
Raiden wrote:
milesdavisjd wrote:

I prefer the outlines to the lecture, but you do you.

It's hard for me to retain the complete outlines without first looking at the lectures. I do the lecture outlines and then go through the complete outline to fill in the holes/see what the lectures missed.

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:22 pm

sdphill wrote:
kjartan wrote:Does anybody else get the impression that Themis stacks difficult MBE questions to bring down scores?

I do a mix of Themis and AdaptiBar and I think the questions are very similar in difficulty, but that's my opinion.

Not what I meant. I meant, do you think difficult/easy questions get stacked in particular MBE practice sessions?

zot1

Postby zot1 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:52 pm

There IS hope! I just got a 65% on my last con law set, which felt like the biggest accomplishment ever after getting 47% and 50% on the first two sets.

teeshtee

Postby teeshtee » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:53 pm

Not sure, but I would guess that Themis does not stack MBE questions together based on difficulty. For what it's worth, I do know, from spending every day studying with other Themis students, that the questions I am assigned in a given MBE set are not identical to the ones you are assigned. For example, my "Contracts & Sales MBE PQs Session 4" does not contain all of the same questions as your "Contracts & Sales MBE PQs Session 4." Obviously, this does not apply to Milestone exams, etc.
Last edited by teeshtee on Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tripl3Espresso

Postby Tripl3Espresso » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:03 pm

The practice MBE's fluctuate based on our weaknesses. You'll end up seeing what you perceive as more difficult because they are questions about a rule of law you have not yet come to understand as well as the others in that particular subject.

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:15 pm

teeshtee wrote:
kjartan wrote:
sdphill wrote:

Not what I meant. I meant, do you think difficult/easy questions get stacked in particular MBE practice sessions?

Not sure, but I would guess that Themis does not stack MBE questions together based on difficulty. For what it's worth, I do know, from spending every day studying with other Themis students, that the questions I am assigned in a given MBE set are not identical to the ones you are assigned. For example, my "Contracts & Sales MBE PQs Session 4" does not contain all of the same questions as your "Contracts & Sales MBE PQs Session 4." Obviously, this does not apply to Milestone exams, etc.

Interesting. My MBE PQs Session 5 was been exceptionally difficult. I usually finish with at least 10 minutes to spare, but on this set I got down to the last minute.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”