Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Underoath
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Underoath » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:41 am

14.4% complete....and I have no idea what is going on. Starting torts now, strong subject for me so this should be good and fast and get me a little bit more caught up

User avatar
zor
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby zor » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:59 am

Underoath wrote:14.4% complete....and I have no idea what is going on. Starting torts now, strong subject for me so this should be good and fast and get me a little bit more caught up

S/he says, before seeing the hopeless abyss that is Clark.

Onetimebaby
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:46 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Onetimebaby » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:03 am

Pleasye wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:what does the "suggested pace" even mean? It says 2.2%, does that mean I should be working 2.2% faster, or that I should have finished 2.2% more of the material? I'm officially at 12.3%, but I've actually just blown off the essays, I am just going to do MBE until I feel like I have a solid understanding of the law, then work on state-specifics and essays.

It's how much you should do that day. If you complete that percentage it will actually tell you good job and to take a break.

I took the milestone today and felt like it went terrible but I actually did pretty well. I guess drilling a zillion MBEs and practice essays works.



I got smoked on milestone yesterday. I've been following the schedule, but it doesn't seem to require many MBEs. I feel like the bar is all about the MBE. How are people working through the MBEs?

I do the MBE in test mode then for the review just reread the entire review sheet - the question / answers / rationale. I write out the questions that I keep missing.

Is there any way to reset the MBEs that have been completed? It seems the only thing the module lets you do after completing the MBE is to review that question set, and not re-take a test.

gr8scOtt!
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:07 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby gr8scOtt! » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:37 am

MrMustache wrote:The rigid directed study is starting to feel more and more annoying. I hate that you can't postpone an assignment on Themis and carry on with the schedule as normal (something BarBri doesn't have a problem with). I feel like the more I fall behind, the more assignments they'll add to my schedule. If I can't consistently keep up with the current 1.5%/day pace now, how will I ever keep up with even more work?

Just played lottery on my contracts MBE set #5 to avoid delaying Crim Pro lectures any further :?


You can look at what is assigned for today and then pick the ones you want to do from Flex Study. It will just bump the assignment/s you skipped to tomorrow. Then pick an assignment from tomorrow to do today from Flex Study to replace the assignment you skipped (and so you stay on schedule). Keep doing that until you decide to do the assignment you skipped.

I've been doing this for essays - skipping them so that they pile up three-deep or so and then doing a batch of them (I figured it was better to get into writing a bunch of essays at once early on since my state weighs essays much more heavily than the MBE).

kgus22
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:13 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kgus22 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:00 am

Onetimebaby wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:what does the "suggested pace" even mean? It says 2.2%, does that mean I should be working 2.2% faster, or that I should have finished 2.2% more of the material? I'm officially at 12.3%, but I've actually just blown off the essays, I am just going to do MBE until I feel like I have a solid understanding of the law, then work on state-specifics and essays.

It's how much you should do that day. If you complete that percentage it will actually tell you good job and to take a break.

I took the milestone today and felt like it went terrible but I actually did pretty well. I guess drilling a zillion MBEs and practice essays works.



I got smoked on milestone yesterday. I've been following the schedule, but it doesn't seem to require many MBEs. I feel like the bar is all about the MBE. How are people working through the MBEs?

I do the MBE in test mode then for the review just reread the entire review sheet - the question / answers / rationale. I write out the questions that I keep missing.

Is there any way to reset the MBEs that have been completed? It seems the only thing the module lets you do after completing the MBE is to review that question set, and not re-take a test.


I messaged them and they cannot reset the MBE's. They gave me some speech about how the MBE's are for learning your weak areas and you should study the outlines. But I feel like I learn more from the MBE's as well.

gr8scOtt!
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:07 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby gr8scOtt! » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:47 am

kgus22 wrote:
Onetimebaby wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:what does the "suggested pace" even mean? It says 2.2%, does that mean I should be working 2.2% faster, or that I should have finished 2.2% more of the material? I'm officially at 12.3%, but I've actually just blown off the essays, I am just going to do MBE until I feel like I have a solid understanding of the law, then work on state-specifics and essays.

It's how much you should do that day. If you complete that percentage it will actually tell you good job and to take a break.

I took the milestone today and felt like it went terrible but I actually did pretty well. I guess drilling a zillion MBEs and practice essays works.



I got smoked on milestone yesterday. I've been following the schedule, but it doesn't seem to require many MBEs. I feel like the bar is all about the MBE. How are people working through the MBEs?

I do the MBE in test mode then for the review just reread the entire review sheet - the question / answers / rationale. I write out the questions that I keep missing.

Is there any way to reset the MBEs that have been completed? It seems the only thing the module lets you do after completing the MBE is to review that question set, and not re-take a test.


I messaged them and they cannot reset the MBE's. They gave me some speech about how the MBE's are for learning your weak areas and you should study the outlines. But I feel like I learn more from the MBE's as well.

But wait... Can't they reset a set if you choose to do a partial set (so, 20/34 questions)? So why can't they reset it if you've done a whole one?

BearLaw
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby BearLaw » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:48 am

kgus22 wrote:
Onetimebaby wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:what does the "suggested pace" even mean? It says 2.2%, does that mean I should be working 2.2% faster, or that I should have finished 2.2% more of the material? I'm officially at 12.3%, but I've actually just blown off the essays, I am just going to do MBE until I feel like I have a solid understanding of the law, then work on state-specifics and essays.

It's how much you should do that day. If you complete that percentage it will actually tell you good job and to take a break.

I took the milestone today and felt like it went terrible but I actually did pretty well. I guess drilling a zillion MBEs and practice essays works.



I got smoked on milestone yesterday. I've been following the schedule, but it doesn't seem to require many MBEs. I feel like the bar is all about the MBE. How are people working through the MBEs?

I do the MBE in test mode then for the review just reread the entire review sheet - the question / answers / rationale. I write out the questions that I keep missing.

Is there any way to reset the MBEs that have been completed? It seems the only thing the module lets you do after completing the MBE is to review that question set, and not re-take a test.


I messaged them and they cannot reset the MBE's. They gave me some speech about how the MBE's are for learning your weak areas and you should study the outlines. But I feel like I learn more from the MBE's as well.


I have been copying the MBE questions, answers and the explanations into a word document as I do them. I have been scrolling through later and retaking the questions (just dont scroll to the explanation before you pick an answer) and then I am making flashcards out of the rules from the explanation/outlines.

JulyTXBar
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby JulyTXBar » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:41 am

BearLaw wrote:
kgus22 wrote:
Onetimebaby wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:what does the "suggested pace" even mean? It says 2.2%, does that mean I should be working 2.2% faster, or that I should have finished 2.2% more of the material? I'm officially at 12.3%, but I've actually just blown off the essays, I am just going to do MBE until I feel like I have a solid understanding of the law, then work on state-specifics and essays.

It's how much you should do that day. If you complete that percentage it will actually tell you good job and to take a break.

I took the milestone today and felt like it went terrible but I actually did pretty well. I guess drilling a zillion MBEs and practice essays works.



I got smoked on milestone yesterday. I've been following the schedule, but it doesn't seem to require many MBEs. I feel like the bar is all about the MBE. How are people working through the MBEs?

I do the MBE in test mode then for the review just reread the entire review sheet - the question / answers / rationale. I write out the questions that I keep missing.

Is there any way to reset the MBEs that have been completed? It seems the only thing the module lets you do after completing the MBE is to review that question set, and not re-take a test.


I messaged them and they cannot reset the MBE's. They gave me some speech about how the MBE's are for learning your weak areas and you should study the outlines. But I feel like I learn more from the MBE's as well.


I have been copying the MBE questions, answers and the explanations into a word document as I do them. I have been scrolling through later and retaking the questions (just dont scroll to the explanation before you pick an answer) and then I am making flashcards out of the rules from the explanation/outlines.


How have you been approaching the essays?

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Nelson » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:25 am

Robert Paulson wrote:Did anyone else bomb that last property MQ set? I got an 80% on the previous and then a 58% on this. Those questions made want to pull my hair out. At least it makes me excited for con law.

Yeah I've found that the last set for all of the topics seems harder than the previous ones.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Nelson » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:26 am

yngblkgifted wrote:Is anyone else overwhelmed by the fact that we will have to memorize law for the essays? I'm having a hard time coming up with anything on the graded essays without looking at my outlines. Any tips?

I think the secret is you don't have to memorize the exact rule. Just getting in the ballpark will get you points. They aren't lying when they tell you to make up a rule if you can't remember.

BearLaw
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby BearLaw » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:28 am

JulyTXBar wrote:
BearLaw wrote:
kgus22 wrote:
Onetimebaby wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:what does the "suggested pace" even mean? It says 2.2%, does that mean I should be working 2.2% faster, or that I should have finished 2.2% more of the material? I'm officially at 12.3%, but I've actually just blown off the essays, I am just going to do MBE until I feel like I have a solid understanding of the law, then work on state-specifics and essays.

It's how much you should do that day. If you complete that percentage it will actually tell you good job and to take a break.

I took the milestone today and felt like it went terrible but I actually did pretty well. I guess drilling a zillion MBEs and practice essays works.



I got smoked on milestone yesterday. I've been following the schedule, but it doesn't seem to require many MBEs. I feel like the bar is all about the MBE. How are people working through the MBEs?

I do the MBE in test mode then for the review just reread the entire review sheet - the question / answers / rationale. I write out the questions that I keep missing.

Is there any way to reset the MBEs that have been completed? It seems the only thing the module lets you do after completing the MBE is to review that question set, and not re-take a test.


I messaged them and they cannot reset the MBE's. They gave me some speech about how the MBE's are for learning your weak areas and you should study the outlines. But I feel like I learn more from the MBE's as well.


I have been copying the MBE questions, answers and the explanations into a word document as I do them. I have been scrolling through later and retaking the questions (just dont scroll to the explanation before you pick an answer) and then I am making flashcards out of the rules from the explanation/outlines.


How have you been approaching the essays?


With trepidation.

Seriously, I am doing them open note for now. I find going through the model answers more helpful than anything right now, and I will go back and take notes on them. The first graded essay (for TX at least) I was able to do mostly from memory and it went fine, consumer rights stuff is super repetitive. Family law was a cluster, and thats when I decided to do the graded ones semi-open note at least. Oil and Gas is tomorrow, which I feel like I know fairly well so i will see, probably will have my outline available but try not to use it unless I get stuck.

I feel like using the outline is still better than just rambling at this point. You can still practice timing and organization and using headings/sections effectively.

texlaw
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 10:28 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby texlaw » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:34 am

MarcZero wrote:Trying to get through all of the MBE evidence lectures today and I am stalling out at Hearsay (Chapter 11 of 17). The presenter is a nice enough guy and uses a lot of examples, but all of the lectures are longer than the 20 minutes or so he says he tries to make them. Chapter 11 is 27 minutes long for example. I'm trying to actively learn this stuff and not just mindlessly fill in the blanks so I forget it all tomorrow. This bar studying is certainly a marathon and as a former 3L, I'm very out of shape.

Also, he REALLY hopes you did well on your assessment questions.


When I started listening to Chapter 1, I thought the evidence lectures were going to be great because he seemed like a well-organized type of guy and he was going to keep his lectures under 20 minutes. Wrong on both counts. Almost every chapter went over 20 minutes, and the others were only under by a minute or so. I had trouble following his his five-chapter hearsay section where he seemed to cover some exceptions/exclusions in the initial overview chapter and then never came back to them. And he tries to squeeze every example into that Abraham Lincoln hypo, no matter how poorly it fits in. At the beginning of each chapter, I felt like yelling at my computer screen: No, my assessment questions aren't going so well, but thank you for inquiring.

texlaw
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 10:28 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby texlaw » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:39 am

BearLaw wrote:
JulyTXBar wrote:
BearLaw wrote:
kgus22 wrote:
Onetimebaby wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:what does the "suggested pace" even mean? It says 2.2%, does that mean I should be working 2.2% faster, or that I should have finished 2.2% more of the material? I'm officially at 12.3%, but I've actually just blown off the essays, I am just going to do MBE until I feel like I have a solid understanding of the law, then work on state-specifics and essays.

It's how much you should do that day. If you complete that percentage it will actually tell you good job and to take a break.

I took the milestone today and felt like it went terrible but I actually did pretty well. I guess drilling a zillion MBEs and practice essays works.



I got smoked on milestone yesterday. I've been following the schedule, but it doesn't seem to require many MBEs. I feel like the bar is all about the MBE. How are people working through the MBEs?

I do the MBE in test mode then for the review just reread the entire review sheet - the question / answers / rationale. I write out the questions that I keep missing.

Is there any way to reset the MBEs that have been completed? It seems the only thing the module lets you do after completing the MBE is to review that question set, and not re-take a test.


I messaged them and they cannot reset the MBE's. They gave me some speech about how the MBE's are for learning your weak areas and you should study the outlines. But I feel like I learn more from the MBE's as well.


I have been copying the MBE questions, answers and the explanations into a word document as I do them. I have been scrolling through later and retaking the questions (just dont scroll to the explanation before you pick an answer) and then I am making flashcards out of the rules from the explanation/outlines.


How have you been approaching the essays?


With trepidation.

Seriously, I am doing them open note for now. I find going through the model answers more helpful than anything right now, and I will go back and take notes on them. The first graded essay (for TX at least) I was able to do mostly from memory and it went fine, consumer rights stuff is super repetitive. Family law was a cluster, and thats when I decided to do the graded ones semi-open note at least. Oil and Gas is tomorrow, which I feel like I know fairly well so i will see, probably will have my outline available but try not to use it unless I get stuck.

I feel like using the outline is still better than just rambling at this point. You can still practice timing and organization and using headings/sections effectively.


Same here. I'm doing open notes for both practice essays and graded essays, although I haven't gotten around to the Family Law graded essay yet. The practice essays for Family Law all seemed to hit different topics, whereas Consumer law was easier because they all pretty much followed a similar format.

GULCPerson
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby GULCPerson » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:50 am

Felt like I was having a pretty productive week, then I got that email that we're supposed to be at 35%(!!!) complete already. Ugh. All motivation replaced with depression and anxiety immediately.

Confused7
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Confused7 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:12 pm

GULCPerson wrote:Felt like I was having a pretty productive week, then I got that email that we're supposed to be at 35%(!!!) complete already. Ugh. All motivation replaced with depression and anxiety immediately.


:shock: Is this for every jurisdiction?

zot1
Posts: 2987
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby zot1 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:23 pm

sd5289 wrote:
zot1 wrote:Is it just me or the Con Law lecture did not cover assembly? Kind of shitty since it's sort of a big topic and it comes up in the practice exams.


It is?

Though I've only done the one practice set, and I don't recall that coming up. Please elaborate.


It's one of the big issues in one of the essays and I had nothing to write--actually, I missed the whole issue entirely.

User avatar
kjartan
Posts: 1367
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:49 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kjartan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:24 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Is anyone else overwhelmed by the fact that we will have to memorize law for the essays? I'm having a hard time coming up with anything on the graded essays without looking at my outlines. Any tips?

This is why I asked whether people ITT were memorizing rule statements word-for-word. I find that kind of memorization incredibly tedious and not particularly helpful. I try to get down the basic elements of the rule, and then I write the rule in my own words.

GULCPerson
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby GULCPerson » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:31 pm

Confused7 wrote:
GULCPerson wrote:Felt like I was having a pretty productive week, then I got that email that we're supposed to be at 35%(!!!) complete already. Ugh. All motivation replaced with depression and anxiety immediately.


:shock: Is this for every jurisdiction?


I'm actually not sure. I feel like we get emails from a dozen different Themis people, and they never include their job titles, so I generally don't know if it's a jurisdiction specific person.

The email I got says "Since we are in week four, you should be at approximately 35% overall progress if you are on track and started on May 18" and it doesn't contain anything that's otherwise state-specific.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Nelson » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:34 pm

Confused7 wrote:
GULCPerson wrote:Felt like I was having a pretty productive week, then I got that email that we're supposed to be at 35%(!!!) complete already. Ugh. All motivation replaced with depression and anxiety immediately.


:shock: Is this for every jurisdiction?

I'm at like 32% and I'm a few days behind. I think if you were on track you'd be at 35%. But that is assuming you'll finish 100%.

Confused7
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Confused7 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Nelson wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
GULCPerson wrote:Felt like I was having a pretty productive week, then I got that email that we're supposed to be at 35%(!!!) complete already. Ugh. All motivation replaced with depression and anxiety immediately.


:shock: Is this for every jurisdiction?

I'm at like 32% and I'm a few days behind. I think if you were on track you'd be at 35%. But that is assuming you'll finish 100%.


I'm not behind and am 1-2 days ahead in the NY schedule, but I'm only at 30-something %. Weird...

zot1
Posts: 2987
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby zot1 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:41 pm

Confused7 wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
GULCPerson wrote:Felt like I was having a pretty productive week, then I got that email that we're supposed to be at 35%(!!!) complete already. Ugh. All motivation replaced with depression and anxiety immediately.


:shock: Is this for every jurisdiction?

I'm at like 32% and I'm a few days behind. I think if you were on track you'd be at 35%. But that is assuming you'll finish 100%.


I'm not behind and am 1-2 days ahead in the NY schedule, but I'm only at 30-something %. Weird...


If you click on the "course schedule" button (right next to "course progress"), it downloads a document that tells you exactly where you should be in the course. I think this is true despite what your "pace" number may say.

User avatar
sd5289
Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby sd5289 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:01 pm

I'm only using the % as a rough estimate of what I need to do everyday. I'm at a little over 32% right now.

Yesterday my suggested pace was 1.3%. I ended up doing 1.7%. Today the suggested pace is 1.7% even though I theoretically put myself "ahead" by doing a little more yesterday. WUT.

Also, the practice MPT I did yesterday only counted for 0.4%. The much shorter in time MBE workshop for Crim Law also counted as 0.4%. It makes no sense.

User avatar
milesdavisjd
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:38 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby milesdavisjd » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:24 pm

zor wrote:
Underoath wrote:14.4% complete....and I have no idea what is going on. Starting torts now, strong subject for me so this should be good and fast and get me a little bit more caught up

S/he says, before seeing the hopeless abyss that is Clark.

Speaking of weird things... what is up with Clark's EARRING? Why is he wearing a diamond stud? Once I noticed it, I couldn't stop looking at it.

User avatar
milesdavisjd
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:38 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby milesdavisjd » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:31 pm

Oh yea, I wanted to share a helpful resource. Stanford Law has a bunch of Bar outlines posted on their site, which are quite helpful (particularly if you weren't much of an outliner as a means of study, like myself). I have modified each of them for my needs and checked it thoroughly, but it's a great foundation for your personal outlines.

https://www.law.stanford.edu/organizati ... m-outlines

User avatar
MrMustache
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby MrMustache » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:06 pm

milesdavisjd wrote:Oh yea, I wanted to share a helpful resource. Stanford Law has a bunch of Bar outlines posted on their site, which are quite helpful (particularly if you weren't much of an outliner as a means of study, like myself). I have modified each of them for my needs and checked it thoroughly, but it's a great foundation for your personal outlines.

https://www.law.stanford.edu/organizati ... m-outlines


Thank you. These are better than I expected.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Spartan_Alum_12, weneedahealer and 11 guests