Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Nelson

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Nelson » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:01 pm

One kind of neat feature I haven't seen mentioned anywhere (or at least I didn't remember if they told us in those initial videos): if you click the green course progress button and then click on the "MBE PQs" link next to the progress bar, it shows you a summary of how many of each question type you've gotten right overall and your time to answer in each type of question. Kind of useful for eyeballing where you can improve if you're lazy like me and haven't been keeping track in that spreadsheet they sent out.
Last edited by Nelson on Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:19 pm

Confused7 wrote:
Don't worry! We definitely all have our good and bad days/sets. For instance, I'm still struggling with getting over 55% on Contracts. :( I feel like I have those days where it just "clicks" and I understand stuff enough to do well on one specific assignment, but then either it's a fluke or I'm just not good at retaining the information.

I know this is true (we should get better), I've just never had such a low baseline (considering that some of the questions I got right were pure guesses...).

Anyhow, just gotta keep grinding, I guess.

Thanks for the support though :D

JulyTXBar

Postby JulyTXBar » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:39 pm

zot1 wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
Don't worry! We definitely all have our good and bad days/sets. For instance, I'm still struggling with getting over 55% on Contracts. :( I feel like I have those days where it just "clicks" and I understand stuff enough to do well on one specific assignment, but then either it's a fluke or I'm just not good at retaining the information.

I know this is true (we should get better), I've just never had such a low baseline (considering that some of the questions I got right were pure guesses...).

The target score gets up to 70% over time. In any event, I am focusing on just learning the stuff regardless of what I score.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:44 pm

JulyTXBar wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Confused7 wrote:

The target score gets up to 70% over time. In any event, I am focusing on just learning the stuff regardless of what I score.

:shock: :lol: :cry:

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:04 pm

The professor for Real Property is getting on my nerves...he keeps SMACKING his lips together every 30 seconds....BIGGEST PET PEEVE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:32 pm

Underoath wrote:The professor for Real Property is getting on my nerves...he keeps SMACKING his lips together every 30 seconds....BIGGEST PET PEEVE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awwww, I think you're the only one of us who didn't like Kramer. :(

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:36 pm

sd5289 wrote:
Underoath wrote:The professor for Real Property is getting on my nerves...he keeps SMACKING his lips together every 30 seconds....BIGGEST PET PEEVE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

I liked him in the beginning because he wasn't smacking and towards the end...literally every 10-30 seconds he is smacking his lips together and it's annoying, can't even focus.

UGH!!!!

lol

MrMustache

Postby MrMustache » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:47 pm

Nelson wrote:One kind of neat feature I haven't seen mentioned anywhere (or at least I didn't remember if they told us in those initial videos): if you click the green course progress button and then click on the "MBE PQs" link next to the progress bar, it shows you a summary of how many of each question type you've gotten right overall and your time to answer in each type of question. Kind of useful for eyeballing where you can improve if you're lazy like me and haven't been keeping track in that spreadsheet they sent out.

I didn't know about this. Thank you!

zot1

Postby zot1 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:51 pm

Is it just me or the Con Law lecture did not cover assembly? Kind of shitty since it's sort of a big topic and it comes up in the practice exams.

HND

Postby HND » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:57 pm

sd5289 wrote:

All of the professors are starting to get on my nerves. Its like I pick something I don't like about them just to make this process even more miserable :|

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:59 pm

Underoath wrote:
sd5289 wrote:

I liked him in the beginning because he wasn't smacking and towards the end...literally every 10-30 seconds he is smacking his lips together and it's annoying, can't even focus.

UGH!!!!

lol

Yeah, toward the end of the property lectures I had had it with his water sipping and wiping his mustache every 2 seconds.

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:03 pm

Pleasye wrote:
Underoath wrote:
sd5289 wrote:

UGH!!!!

lol

Yeah, toward the end of the property lectures I had had it with his water sipping and wiping his mustache every 2 seconds.

Ok it isn't just me then. Good to know.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:07 pm

zot1 wrote:Is it just me or the Con Law lecture did not cover assembly? Kind of shitty since it's sort of a big topic and it comes up in the practice exams.

It is?

Though I've only done the one practice set, and I don't recall that coming up. Please elaborate.

Robert Paulson

Postby Robert Paulson » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:55 pm

Did anyone else bomb that last property MQ set? I got an 80% on the previous and then a 58% on this. Those questions made want to pull my hair out. At least it makes me excited for con law.

Tripl3Espresso

Postby Tripl3Espresso » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:04 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:Did anyone else bomb that last property MQ set? I got an 80% on the previous and then a 58% on this. Those questions made want to pull my hair out. At least it makes me excited for con law.

From what I understand, Themis progressively tests us on what we are weakest at in the subject. That could explain why many of us are struggling on the last practice sets.

Raiden

Postby Raiden » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:20 pm

Hello world, long time no post. The last thing I remember from TLS is the guy with the hippo avatar spanking us all in during 1L finals, good times.

I am just in the middle of torts and I feel so behind whenever I check their recommended schedule...

MrMustache

Postby MrMustache » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:45 pm

The rigid directed study is starting to feel more and more annoying. I hate that you can't postpone an assignment on Themis and carry on with the schedule as normal (something BarBri doesn't have a problem with). I feel like the more I fall behind, the more assignments they'll add to my schedule. If I can't consistently keep up with the current 1.5%/day pace now, how will I ever keep up with even more work?

Just played lottery on my contracts MBE set #5 to avoid delaying Crim Pro lectures any further :?

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:41 pm

Is anyone else overwhelmed by the fact that we will have to memorize law for the essays? I'm having a hard time coming up with anything on the graded essays without looking at my outlines. Any tips?

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:13 am

yngblkgifted wrote:Is anyone else overwhelmed by the fact that we will have to memorize law for the essays? I'm having a hard time coming up with anything on the graded essays without looking at my outlines. Any tips?

For all of my essays, I'm using my outlines right now. All of my friends who have used Themis said I shouldn't worry about memorizing until I get to the second portion, which is the review stage starting July 1. If I were you, I wouldn't stress out too much about it. Just get the TRAC formula down now and you'll be fine.

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:14 am

yngblkgifted wrote:Is anyone else overwhelmed by the fact that we will have to memorize law for the essays? I'm having a hard time coming up with anything on the graded essays without looking at my outlines. Any tips?

I bought a 4'x3' whiteboard poster that I'm gonna try to mark up a big wall in my room with at least the MBE subject essay checklists :lol: and then just live it.

I feel like mnemonics are necessary here.

sdphill

Postby sdphill » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:22 am

How far behind is everyone else? I'm 5 days behind the original schedule they gave us and it stresses me out every single day. Luckily, my suggested pace is still 1.4%

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:27 am

Im at 6% completed :oops:

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 am

what does the "suggested pace" even mean? It says 2.2%, does that mean I should be working 2.2% faster, or that I should have finished 2.2% more of the material? I'm officially at 12.3%, but I've actually just blown off the essays, I am just going to do MBE until I feel like I have a solid understanding of the law, then work on state-specifics and essays.

zor

Postby zor » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:17 am

sdphill wrote:How far behind is everyone else? I'm 5 days behind the original schedule they gave us and it stresses me out every single day. Luckily, my suggested pace is still 1.4%

Currently 6 days behind, at 20%. Kind of freaking out, too. I'm finding that I'm not really learning any of the rules because of the lectures, but recalling them from 1L in a way that gives me good instincts when I'm not sure of the answer. Turns out I had great 1L professors. (Including Serkin for Property, who for those of you taking NY, does the NY Property distinctions).

Except Contracts. Fuck Contracts.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:19 am

anon sequitur wrote:what does the "suggested pace" even mean? It says 2.2%, does that mean I should be working 2.2% faster, or that I should have finished 2.2% more of the material? I'm officially at 12.3%, but I've actually just blown off the essays, I am just going to do MBE until I feel like I have a solid understanding of the law, then work on state-specifics and essays.

It's how much you should do that day. If you complete that percentage it will actually tell you good job and to take a break.

I took the milestone today and felt like it went terrible but I actually did pretty well. I guess drilling a zillion MBEs and practice essays works.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”