Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Pleasye

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Pleasye » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:11 am

My bar grader lady makes such bitchy comments. Or maybe I just read them in a bitchy tone, idk.

collegewriter

Postby collegewriter » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:15 am

OK now I SERIOUSLY do not understand the pace %. Yesterday it was 1.9 which terrified me. I didn't do particularly much yesterday because of other obligations. Today it says 1.5? Maybe Themis decided I'm too dumb to finish?

collegewriter

Postby collegewriter » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:18 am

Pleasye wrote:My bar grader lady makes such bitchy comments. Or maybe I just read them in a bitchy tone, idk.

I would kill for some bitchy comments. Mine is just like "good" "good" "ok." I mean yeah my essay was fine but we both know I didn't do very much right given my score...so how about some actual feedback?

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:22 am

smalogna wrote:Con law guy is growing on me, "federal powers are superior...that was essentially the point of the civil war." Classic.

Yeah, he has the occasional zinger every once in a while. :lol:

texlaw

Postby texlaw » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:53 am

I received this in my inbox today with an explanation of the percentages:

Another helpful tool to keep track of how you move ahead is by clicking the green "Course Progress" button in the top right corner of the screen. A screen will pull down that will give you a snapshot of your current progress in the course. You will find three numbers on the right of the screen.

- The first number will tell you how much of the overall course you have completed to date (based on 100% completion by the time the exam takes place). This number is also represented by the bar graph directly below the numbers.

- The second number, tells you how much of the overall course you need to complete today to stay on pace to complete 100% of the course by the time the exam takes place.

- The third number is how much of the course you have thus far completed today.

You will want the third number to show about more than the middle number when you are finished with your day of studying. So if the suggested pace number says you need to complete 1.2% to stay on pace and you complete the entire daily task list the third number “Completed Today” will also say 1.2% at the end of the day.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:03 am

collegewriter wrote:
Pleasye wrote:My bar grader lady makes such bitchy comments. Or maybe I just read them in a bitchy tone, idk.

I would kill for some bitchy comments. Mine is just like "good" "good" "ok." I mean yeah my essay was fine but we both know I didn't do very much right given my score...so how about some actual feedback?

They're not helpful bitchy comments. "You did an okay job organizing this essay" (if it was just okay then can you tell me what I did wrong or give some suggestions on how to do it better?). She also told me that I started making careless typos at the end and that too many will make a passing essay a failing essay, which I don't even think is true :|

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:35 am

Just completely crashed and burned on a Con Law set of all things (48% correct), and am incredibly frustrated now. This is impossible.

habz

Postby habz » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:50 am

sd5289 wrote:Just completely crashed and burned on a Con Law set of all things (48% correct), and am incredibly frustrated now. This is impossible.

I also find that while the actual information is not particularly hard, the application to specific fact patterns is really tough and confusing. I think I went 9/17 on the first set

habz

Postby habz » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:52 am

Pleasye wrote:
collegewriter wrote:

They're not helpful bitchy comments. "You did an okay job organizing this essay" (if it was just okay then can you tell me what I did wrong or give some suggestions on how to do it better?). She also told me that I started making careless typos at the end and that too many will make a passing essay a failing essay, which I don't even think is true :|

I wish my comments made sense. I was so confused and annoyed I showed my comments to a practicing attorney and he said he couldn't figure out what my grader was talking about. I emailed Themis about it and of course they gave me some generic answer saying that my grader was correct and I should look at his comments. So helpful.

habz

Postby habz » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:55 am

collegewriter wrote:OK now I SERIOUSLY do not understand the pace %. Yesterday it was 1.9 which terrified me. I didn't do particularly much yesterday because of other obligations. Today it says 1.5? Maybe Themis decided I'm too dumb to finish?

How much you accomplish doesn't actually translate well into a percentage. The crim law lectures and outline were counted as 0.9% but the crim law workshop was 0.5%. I'm not sure how that makes sense but such is life I guess

PepsiMinimum

Postby PepsiMinimum » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:59 am

sd5289 wrote:Just completely crashed and burned on a Con Law set of all things (48% correct), and am incredibly frustrated now. This is impossible.

It's good to know I'm not alone. Ruined my day yesterday

zot1

Postby zot1 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:17 pm

My schedule is starting to pick up. First MPT on Friday along with the graded Civ Pro exam. I really don't think I will be prepared for that.

Somehow now missing Ks, Torts, and Property. It seems I had it easier then.

And OMG someone stop Jeffries from pronouncing "defendant" the way he does.

Rant over.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:19 pm

PepsiMinimum wrote:

Same here, except I only managed 47%. I was super demoralized yesterday. And then I was moved to Civ Pro already when I have obviously not "mastered" Con Law enough. Sigh.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:07 pm

Jeffries for civ pro was pretty dull, but his con law zingers are great. "Some nudity in drive through movies is not obscene, it's merely very large." Perfect deadpan.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:04 pm

zot1 wrote:
PepsiMinimum wrote:

Same here, except I only managed 47%. I was super demoralized yesterday. And then I was moved to Civ Pro already when I have obviously not "mastered" Con Law enough. Sigh.

Oh thank goodness it's not just me. I couldn't believe it. The questions in the MBE workshop I knew the answer immediately, but I got completely turned around on that first set of 17. I was so frustrated/demoralized that I actually took a 30 minute break to play games on my phone because I knew I'd carry that into the MPT.

Glad I did. Managed to get through the entire thing with 1 minute to spare, and pretty much hit almost everything in the score sheet. So fuck you Con law and your trying to ruin my day.

Now I'm exhausted though. How is one MPT only 0.4% of your daily progress completion? That felt like a 1% assignment.

smalogna

Postby smalogna » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:13 pm

"Use of the bible in the classroom is rather like the hearsay rule, the bible can be admitted to the classroom for any purpose other than its truth." I'm in awe of this explanation.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:13 pm

sd5289 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
PepsiMinimum wrote:

The first MBE of Con Law killed me (barely got over a 50%), but the second set somehow seemed more doable. I ended up with a 91%, my highest yet for any MBE sets. :shock: There's hope!

JulyTXBar

Postby JulyTXBar » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:28 pm

sd5289 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
PepsiMinimum wrote:

Oh thank goodness it's not just me. I couldn't believe it. The questions in the MBE workshop I knew the answer immediately, but I got completely turned around on that first set of 17. I was so frustrated/demoralized that I actually took a 30 minute break to play games on my phone because I knew I'd carry that into the MPT.

Glad I did. Managed to get through the entire thing with 1 minute to spare, and pretty much hit almost everything in the score sheet. So fuck you Con law and your trying to ruin my day.

Now I'm exhausted though. How is one MPT only 0.4% of your daily progress completion? That felt like a 1% assignment.

Wowzers. So it wasn't just me because I only got about 5 or 6 right out of the 17. Lol. My confidence was so shaken that I went to do a 34 set for property and did over 70% on that. To be fair, this is a marathon and not a sprint. It'll get better as we go.

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:17 pm

For the essays, do you try to memorize rule statements word-for-word or just generally know the rule and write it in your own words?

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:20 pm

Pleasye wrote:
collegewriter wrote:

Yeah, I really doubt it would affect your score unless it hindered the graders ability to read/comprehend your answer. By the third essay, I'm sure everyone is making typos.

JulyTXBar

Postby JulyTXBar » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:10 pm

kjartan wrote:For the essays, do you try to memorize rule statements word-for-word or just generally know the rule and write it in your own words?

For me, it's a combination of both.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:13 pm

JulyTXBar wrote:
kjartan wrote:For the essays, do you try to memorize rule statements word-for-word or just generally know the rule and write it in your own words?

For me, it's a combination of both.

Same. I try to get as close as I can to the actual rule statements word-for-word, but I can't imagine we'll get penalized much if we're paraphrasing, so long as the meaning is not lost.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:20 pm

Confused7 wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
PepsiMinimum wrote:

The first MBE of Con Law killed me (barely got over a 50%), but the second set somehow seemed more doable. I ended up with a 91%, my highest yet for any MBE sets. :shock: There's hope!

I wish! I barely (and painfully) got 50% on the last set. At least I met the goal this time, amirite? *goes to a corner and cries*

ChrisR86

Postby ChrisR86 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:37 pm

Checking in for CA. I'm at 25%. Reading the comments here has really helped calm me down. Its good to know there are other people struggling. That first essay (property 45%) really took the wind out of my sails for a day and a half and I've been trying to catch up ever since.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:55 pm

zot1 wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
PepsiMinimum wrote:

I wish! I barely (and painfully) got 50% on the last set. At least I met the goal this time, amirite? *goes to a corner and cries*

Don't worry! We definitely all have our good and bad days/sets. For instance, I'm still struggling with getting over 55% on Contracts. :( I feel like I have those days where it just "clicks" and I understand stuff enough to do well on one specific assignment, but then either it's a fluke or I'm just not good at retaining the information.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”