Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Worker and Parasite

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Worker and Parasite » Fri May 22, 2015 7:06 pm

Speed works fine for me in Chrome, just make sure you click the window when you press Shift L or R

MarcZero

Postby MarcZero » Sat May 23, 2015 12:02 am

I am also able to get speed to change in Chrome on Windows 8.1.

I am also surprised, and a bit upset that you can't adjust the speed on the Themis iOS app. I was hoping to use my iPad to watch and my laptop to fill out the handouts/take notes, but that won't be an option unless I want to go at normal speed.

fencod

Postby fencod » Sat May 23, 2015 1:03 am

I used Themis last summer for the UBE and passed by a wide margin. I thought it was great, but I thought maybe I could share some of the ways I used the program.

First, at the outset of the program, I downloaded all the PDFs of the lecture outlines and printed them out. Writing on paper is way easier for me than typing in PDFs, and I like being able to write notes in the margins. I also find flipping through a stack of paper an easier way to review than scrolling through a PDF. It is personal preference, but I found this extremely useful. The lecture outlines were the main source of my review as well (the summary outlines are garbage and actually made me confused about stuff I already knew), so having them in a form that I could easily look at on the bus, for example, was great.

I wouldn't spend too much time with the big outlines. Spend 30 min to an hour with it, then go back to it if there are parts you feel shaky about after the lecture or if something in the lecture outline seems unclear. Think of it more as a backup resource than the main source of your prep materials. The lecturers will tell you everything you need to know.

It's helpful to write down rules that you get wrong, whether from an MBE or essay. I tried to summarize the rule in roughly a single handwritten line. Before doing any mixed MBE section, I would skim over my list of rules. Soon I had those rules down pat. On that same note, take the task of reviewing the answers to an MBE set seriously. I would try to avoid looking at the answer when reviewing until I read the question and thought about why I had chosen the answer I had. Then if I got it correct, I would be able to make sure that I got it correct for the right reason. They say to spend as much time on reviewing the answers as you do on doing the practice sets. I didn't quite do that, but it was close.

For the first few weeks, actually write out the entire essay answer when you are doing them. Practice making clear headings and writing clear rule statements. Make it so someone can glance at your essay and figure out how you analyzed the problem by only reading your headings. Once you feel comfortable with the format and time constraints of writing an essay, start just outlining your answers.

Don't be afraid of veering away from the directed study schedule, but try and make sure you are ready for the graded assignments each week. That's probably the most valuable part of the program, so make sure you are able to utilize it.

Finally, study smart. My state required 270 points out of 400 with 200 possible points on each day. So I knew I needed, on average, 135 scaled points from each day. Based on my practice sets, I felt confident that I could get at least 150 points on the MBE, and I knew that I could do well on the MPT by just doing a few extra practice problems (they are all about time management). If I got 150 on the MBE and got 4/5 on both MPTs, that already put me at around 210 points. Essays became less of a focus for me once I realized I would likely only need about 40% of the possible points from that section. Instead, I focused on the MBE on MPT. The day of the test, I straight up didn't know anything about one of the six essays and on two others only knew about half the answer. But I smashed everything else and ended up getting ~340.

Themis will get you there if put in the effort. Good luck everyone.

PS, take a few mental health days. Take some half days. Spend time with friends and family when you can. Bar prep is priority #1, but that doesn't mean you need to spend all of your time on it for the next two months. It's okay to fall behind. If you end up only about a week behind by the time you get to the test, you did awesome.

GULCPerson

Postby GULCPerson » Sat May 23, 2015 11:26 am

MarcZero wrote:I am also surprised, and a bit upset that you can't adjust the speed on the Themis iOS app. I was hoping to use my iPad to watch and my laptop to fill out the handouts/take notes, but that won't be an option unless I want to go at normal speed.

On Android, you can download the videos through the Themis app, then open them in your media player of choice (VLC, etc..) in order to play at 1.5x. Is that not possible on iOS?

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Sat May 23, 2015 12:52 pm

MarcZero wrote:I am also able to get speed to change in Chrome on Windows 8.1.

I am also surprised, and a bit upset that you can't adjust the speed on the Themis iOS app. I was hoping to use my iPad to watch and my laptop to fill out the handouts/take notes, but that won't be an option unless I want to go at normal speed.

Speed's been working fine for me in Safari on Mac as well.

Maybe it's me, but I find the iOS app nearly useless. I can't seem to figure out how to get to the directed study schedule (if you even can?) on it.

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Sat May 23, 2015 1:51 pm

GULCPerson wrote:
MarcZero wrote:I am also surprised, and a bit upset that you can't adjust the speed on the Themis iOS app. I was hoping to use my iPad to watch and my laptop to fill out the handouts/take notes, but that won't be an option unless I want to go at normal speed.

On Android, you can download the videos through the Themis app, then open them in your media player of choice (VLC, etc..) in order to play at 1.5x. Is that not possible on iOS?

Ahh good idea. Time to fire up the ol' kindle. But no. VLC doesn't access whatever directory the themis video files are downloaded to in the iOS app.

The speed function works on my home desktop running windows 8.1/firefox. Not sure why I couldn't get my windows 7/firefox (updated to latest everything) to do the speed up thang though. We've got weird firewalls

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Sat May 23, 2015 2:49 pm

Pretty annoying that the iOS app doesn't work for offline playback. I'd like to just download audio versions and listen to those while I'm away from a wifi signal. This was available on Barbri when I used them for MPRE. Gonna see if I can figure out a workaround.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sat May 23, 2015 3:00 pm

Lol I am failing these Ks essays and I'm doing them open book.

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Sat May 23, 2015 3:33 pm

ok here's how you speed up lectures in iOS

1. Download all the files to android/kindle fire.
2. Move them to Onedrive
3. Download or stream them using vlc connected to your onedrive on iOS.
4. Adjust speed

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sat May 23, 2015 4:15 pm

Anyone know if there is any way to print the essay fact patterns and model answers?

zot1

Postby zot1 » Sat May 23, 2015 6:01 pm

So I guess reading was taking so long because I read the full outline as opposed to the recommended segment. But how can people see the page numbers on the website? Are there any?

MarcZero

Postby MarcZero » Sat May 23, 2015 8:18 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:ok here's how you speed up lectures in iOS

2. Move them to Onedrive
4. Adjust speed

Or you know...since we all have already bought the videos, if someone could share a dropbox or other link to the files so us iOS slackjaws can step into the 21st century like the rest of you? I personally don't own any Android devices at the moment.

IamIn

Postby IamIn » Sat May 23, 2015 8:54 pm

zot1 wrote:So I guess reading was taking so long because I read the full outline as opposed to the recommended segment. But how can people see the page numbers on the website? Are there any?

If I understand your question correctly, there are no page numbers, but it tells you which sections to read (e.g., "Formation of Ks --End").

I am actually enjoying the Contracts Lectures, but can't stand reading the long outline.. It puts me to sleep.. :roll:

IamIn

Postby IamIn » Sat May 23, 2015 8:55 pm

I'm taking VA btw, if anyone wants to share their pain later on.

GULCPerson

Postby GULCPerson » Sat May 23, 2015 9:33 pm

IamIn wrote:I am actually enjoying the Contracts Lectures, but can't stand reading the long outline.. It puts me to sleep.. :roll:

The contracts lecture guy is really good. I felt kinda spoiled since he was first and I didn't really appreciate him until I had to sit through the next three profs.

IamIn

Postby IamIn » Sat May 23, 2015 9:36 pm

GULCPerson wrote:
IamIn wrote:I am actually enjoying the Contracts Lectures, but can't stand reading the long outline.. It puts me to sleep.. :roll:

The contracts lecture guy is really good. I felt kinda spoiled since he was first and I didn't really appreciate him until I had to sit through the next three profs.

oh no.. I was hoping all the profs would be fun :D

GULCPerson

Postby GULCPerson » Sat May 23, 2015 9:41 pm

IamIn wrote:
GULCPerson wrote:

oh no.. I was hoping all the profs would be fun :D

He comes back for Advanced Sales, if that's any consolation. I thought maybe I just liked Contracts as a subject better, and that's why he held my attention, but there's a different guy who teaches the VA Distinctions for Contracts lectures, and the difference is... noticeable.

Worker and Parasite

Postby Worker and Parasite » Sat May 23, 2015 10:32 pm

The assessment questions are nowhere near MBE style difficulty right?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sat May 23, 2015 10:57 pm

Worker and Parasite wrote:The assessment questions are nowhere near MBE style difficulty right?

Lol no. The assessment questions just test the rule (rather than application of the rule).

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Sat May 23, 2015 11:36 pm

MarcZero wrote:
lacrossebrother wrote:ok here's how you speed up lectures in iOS

2. Move them to Onedrive
4. Adjust speed

Or you know...since we all have already bought the videos, if someone could share a dropbox or other link to the files so us iOS slackjaws can step into the 21st century like the rest of you? I personally don't own any Android devices at the moment.

Not sure I feel comfortable with that. I mean they dl straight to my device with no drm so there's no way they could say I'm not free to move my own files around. But distributing them seems a little much.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Sun May 24, 2015 12:00 am

Yeah, I understand not wanting to share the folder. This isn't the freewheeling days of the internet. And, I haven't taken the bar or anything, but I think it might violate a law or something.

Good news for us Apple fanboys without access to an Android device. You can download ARC Welder onto any Chrome browser, then download the Themis APK to your computer (which is probably a mac), and run the themis app from there. EDIT: okay, I couldn't actually get this to download the lectures, so maybe not as useful an idea as I had hoped.

Nanosoft

Postby Nanosoft » Sun May 24, 2015 7:11 am

Was kinda surprised/demoralized/frightened when the first practice essay also had Property issues when I have only been following the course and preparing for Contracts. Ugh.

Makes sense as mixed-issues is how it will be on the bar. Still, what an eye-opener. I've got SO MUCH to do.

MarcZero

Postby MarcZero » Sun May 24, 2015 10:11 am

anon sequitur wrote:Yeah, I understand not wanting to share the folder. This isn't the freewheeling days of the internet. And, I haven't taken the bar or anything, but I think it might violate a law or something.

Good news for us Apple fanboys without access to an Android device. You can download ARC Welder onto any Chrome browser, then download the Themis APK to your computer (which is probably a mac), and run the themis app from there. EDIT: okay, I couldn't actually get this to download the lectures, so maybe not as useful an idea as I had hoped.

Yeah. I'm on a Windows 8.1 PC so I ended up using an Android emulator (Andy) to create a virtual tablet on my computer, installed the Themis app from the Google Play store, downloaded the lectures, and then moved them to my computer drive. I'm now watching the lectures in VLC where you can fine-tune the playback speed. (1.5x is too fast for me, but 1x is too slow.) This alleviates any legal concerns since you are watching your own videos.

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Sun May 24, 2015 11:34 am

Glad you got it. Sorry it sounds like a lot of unnecessary work but I hope you understand

MarcZero

Postby MarcZero » Sun May 24, 2015 11:38 am

lacrossebrother wrote:Glad you got it. Sorry it sounds like a lot of unnecessary work but I hope you understand

Oh no worries, buddy. I was mostly joking before anyways.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”