Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Velours

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Velours » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:05 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:
kjartan wrote:
MrMustache wrote:Just got my torts essay back. I want to know how Themis grades our essays.

I wrote my property essay closed-book, ended up using incomplete rules because I couldn't remember them, missed some issues (the whole commercial v. residential lease thing, among other things) and got a 60.

Then, when it was time for torts, I wrote the essay open-book, because I wanted to see how well I could write the essay if I had memorized the entire outline word for word. Wrote all the rules out, discussed issues in more detail than I did on property, and hit every issue. And I STILL got a 60.

WHAT THE @#$%!?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
They're full of shit, dude. The graders probably aren't even allowed to give passing scores at this point.

I don't know if you're joking, but you're probably right. A huge part of their strategy is to make you feel like you need to do more (i.e., over-preparing you), so there's a good chance they tell the graders not to give anything above a 70% or whatever until further down the road.

I got a 23/25 on my first graded essay for consumer's rights (Texas). Pretty much all it said was some variation of "good" after most paragraphs, other than one where he said he wasn't sure if agreed with my conclusion regarding if it was an unconscionable contract. I wrote it closed book and felt like I could have worded the rules better or structured more thoroughly.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:17 pm

Anyone else feel like the questions on the Milestone Exam #1 were somewhat easier than the MBE practice sets? Still frustrating that I have to keep adding exceptions to my outlines based on the answer explanations...

smalogna

Postby smalogna » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:21 pm

Confused7 wrote:Anyone else feel like the questions on the Milestone Exam #1 were somewhat easier than the MBE practice sets? Still frustrating that I have to keep adding exceptions to my outlines based on the answer explanations...

I didn't found them to be about the same as the practice sets. I'm tired and that was only 45 questions...on 3 subjects...

smalogna

Postby smalogna » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:21 pm

smalogna wrote:
Confused7 wrote:Anyone else feel like the questions on the Milestone Exam #1 were somewhat easier than the MBE practice sets? Still frustrating that I have to keep adding exceptions to my outlines based on the answer explanations...

I didn't found them to be about the same as the practice sets. I'm tired and that was only 45 questions...on 3 subjects...

Wow. I did find them. I need to eat lunch.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:26 pm

smalogna wrote:

Definitely tiring...even the MBE sets of 34 questions on one subject tire me out lol.

smalogna

Postby smalogna » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:58 pm

Just started Multistate Performance Test prep and I wish I could just do more MBE problems. It's that bad.

VicariouslySuperior

Postby VicariouslySuperior » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:08 pm

How did everyone score on the milestone exam?

I have been consistently scoring around 68-75% on the mbe PQs but for some reason I only scored 60% on this test (27 correct). There were a few exceptions I had not heard of until today but overall I was disappointed with myself.

gr8scOtt!

Postby gr8scOtt! » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:35 pm

I've been averaging about 60% on practice questions (closed book) and scored 56% on the Milestone under test conditions.

habz

Postby habz » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:41 pm

I also got lower than my average. Usually score in the low 70s and i got a 66 on the exam. I just got through the first set of con law PQs and it seems that every other question is testing an exception to the exceptions. Infuriating!

kgus22

Postby kgus22 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:11 pm

re: the latest NY essay, did anyone get docked major points for not knowing that a POA can trump tenancy by the entirety? it seems like the graders don't yet know that we haven't covered agency law.

in regards to my grader, she actually gives pretty good comments. after each paragraph she will have a few notes, then at the end of each argument she will write a short paragraph evaluating that argument overall. at the end she gives me some overall feedback and compared it to my last essay. maybe its luck of the draw?

73 on the essay, but I lost 12 points just on the essay where we haven't learned the law.

also a 73 on the milestone in testing conditions, even though i've been averaging low 60's on the subject MBE's.

Tripl3Espresso

Postby Tripl3Espresso » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:16 pm

I felt the same way, but I thought there weren't nearly as many questions testing my knowledge of the exceptions.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:13 pm

Does anyone have an outline for NY Civ Pro? PM me. Thanks!

texlaw

Postby texlaw » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:44 pm

sd5289 wrote:
zot1 wrote:I believe graded essays are closed-book because you want to simulate real testing conditions.

Really? I missed that memo (though with the time constraints, I've really only had time to outline the answers and then type them out). I had a mere 10 seconds left on the last one.

ETA: on that note, I'm guessing the "Milestone Exam" tomorrow (at least, #1 is on my schedule tomorrow) is closed book?

I have been doing my essays open-book. I plan to do that until I develop my structure.

I do my MBE practice questions closed-book.

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:48 pm

VicariouslySuperior wrote:How did everyone score on the milestone exam?

I have been consistently scoring around 68-75% on the mbe PQs but for some reason I only scored 60% on this test (27 correct). There were a few exceptions I had not heard of until today but overall I was disappointed with myself.

Same, I've been scoring in the 70-80s and got a 67 under testing conditions.
Last edited by kjartan on Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BearLaw

Postby BearLaw » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:51 pm

The milestone exam went pretty well for me. I had been averaging between 65-70 and got a 77 on it (35 of 45). I spent a lot of time the last 2-3 days reviewing the practice MBE questions and making/reviewing flashcards with Anki (spaced repetition software), focusing on the ones I missed or guessed on more than the ones I got right (still made cards for almost every question, but way more in depth for the ones I missed).

I recommend Anki, especially if you are making flashcards anyway. It is free to download, and the spaced repetition makes you recall different info at different times, so I feel like I am actually starting to learn some of the rules. (looking at you property...)

collegewriter

Postby collegewriter » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:13 pm

Has anyone used the "quiz" function on the ipad app (maybe also iphone)? I'm curious as to where those questions come from since Themis does not have a test bank like Kaplan (I think). If I do 20 questions from the "Quiz" will it partially complete a MBE PQ set?

gr8scOtt!

Postby gr8scOtt! » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:23 pm

collegewriter wrote:Has anyone used the "quiz" function on the ipad app (maybe also iphone)? I'm curious as to where those questions come from since Themis does not have a test bank like Kaplan (I think). If I do 20 questions from the "Quiz" will it partially complete a MBE PQ set?

I downloaded the app just to see because I wanted to practice more. If I'm seeing what you're seeing, it looks like it's similar to the assessment questions from the end of the chapters in the video lectures.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:37 pm

gr8scOtt! wrote:
collegewriter wrote:Has anyone used the "quiz" function on the ipad app (maybe also iphone)? I'm curious as to where those questions come from since Themis does not have a test bank like Kaplan (I think). If I do 20 questions from the "Quiz" will it partially complete a MBE PQ set?

I downloaded the app just to see because I wanted to practice more. If I'm seeing what you're seeing, it looks like it's similar to the assessment questions from the end of the chapters in the video lectures.

I haven't used the app but yeah, someone told me the quiz questions are the assessment questions so they just test the rule.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:47 pm

VicariouslySuperior wrote:How did everyone score on the milestone exam?

Ditto. So disappointed.

collegewriter

Postby collegewriter » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:49 pm

Pleasye wrote:
gr8scOtt! wrote:

I haven't used the app but yeah, someone told me the quiz questions are the assessment questions so they just test the rule.

Thanks. I guess a hidden MBE question bank was too much to hope for hahah.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:50 pm

When they say upload your answers later if you use the books, do they just mean to take the exam again online but just using the answers from before?

gr8scOtt!

Postby gr8scOtt! » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:51 pm

zot1 wrote:When they say upload your answers later if you use the books, do they just mean to take the exam again online but just using the answers from before?

That's what I did.

smalogna

Postby smalogna » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:52 pm

zot1 wrote:When they say upload your answers later if you use the books, do they just mean to take the exam again online but just using the answers from before?

Just click on the letters you picked on paper, it should take you no more than 3-4 minutes if you're being careful to line up answers with their question numbers

gr8scOtt!

Postby gr8scOtt! » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:53 pm

collegewriter wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
gr8scOtt! wrote:

Thanks. I guess a hidden MBE question bank was too much to hope for hahah.

In one of the books, there is a set of MBE questions that aren't available online designated as "extra" practice. It covers all the topics, but you could always pick out the ones for whichever subject you are looking to practice.

smalogna

Postby smalogna » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:53 pm

Typically been receiving mid to high 60s on the practice sets and got a 69 on the milestone so at least I'm consistent but that also means nothing new is sticking. Sigh.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”