Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

IamIn

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby IamIn » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:41 pm

zor wrote:
For what it's worth, I asked and they said they aren't running any promotions, so I couldn't get any kind of deal out of them, even free shipping. :(

They sent me a 10% coupon after the cards sat in my shopping cart for a few days.

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:44 pm

Worker and Parasite wrote:
kjartan wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
Worker and Parasite wrote:I have a question/frustration about the first graded Property essay. Spoilered for those who haven't done it yet.

[+] Spoiler
1. How did the answer establish vertical privity with a deed between A and the owner of the Workshop? That was NOWHERE in the prompt.

2. I wrote about Implied Reciprocal Servitude because (a) I didn't see writing (b) I didn't see privity. Anyone else do this?

I'm going to send a msg to Themis too about this.

As to #2, I did the same thing and my grader just wrote, "non-issue" next to my heading about it :|

Wait, do we get comments? I just got my grade. Also, ljl at an implied reciprocal servitude being a "non-issue." No, don't make an argument on the facts instead assume x, y, and z to show that their might be a real covenant or equitable servitude.

I haven't got my Graded Essay back but you're supposed to get comments. If you just got a grade, I'd complain or send a message. Previous themis threads have mentioned that if your isn't marked up and completely eviscerated, you should ask your advisor for a different grader. But check your messages, maybe your marked up paper is incoming.

Eh, I probably won't bother. I doubt their grading is accurate at all. My grader gave me a 60 on my first essay, which is complete horse shit. Not that my essay was great, but it definitely would have passed.

zor

Postby zor » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:24 pm

IamIn wrote:
zor wrote:
For what it's worth, I asked and they said they aren't running any promotions, so I couldn't get any kind of deal out of them, even free shipping. :(

They sent me a 10% coupon after the cards sat in my shopping cart for a few days.

I actually tried that last week... no dice. All I got was an email asking if something went wrong so they could fix it. I even mentioned it to the rep and she said nope, no discount.

IamIn

Postby IamIn » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:35 pm

zor wrote:
IamIn wrote:
zor wrote:

I actually tried that last week... no dice. All I got was an email asking if something went wrong so they could fix it. I even mentioned it to the rep and she said nope, no discount.

I got the coupon in the second email from them--yes, I'm a hesitant buyer. I ended up not using it because my card did not work on their website. I had to pay $100+ to buy these on Amazon before I got that stupid coupon. Not sure if it would be valid for other people, but I'm happy to share if someone wants to try.

I also like the cards overall, and I agree that the price is ridiculous.

HND

Postby HND » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:21 pm

I bought the critical pass cards online for the 100 price, but a friend just told me you can download them for $55 through the app if you don't mind them not being in flashcard form on paper.

sandaltan

Postby sandaltan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:40 pm

If anyone's looking for a solid approach to prep for CBX essays check this out:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=248756

Helped me pass 1st time while working full time.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:10 pm

this is getting repetitive

sopranorleone

Postby sopranorleone » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:40 am

anon sequitur wrote:this is getting repetitive

Agreed.

Also, just read this gem in a torts model answer: "Not all lawyers are public figures; most toil away in obscurity for their entire careers"

smalogna

Postby smalogna » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:29 am

NY family law lecturer is the first where I am actually guessing sometimes what she wants to convey for the fill in the blanks on the handout. She's the first one not reading from the outline and it's throwing me.

habz

Postby habz » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:48 am

smalogna wrote:NY family law lecturer is the first where I am actually guessing sometimes what she wants to convey for the fill in the blanks on the handout. She's the first one not reading from the outline and it's throwing me.

Agreed. But she also covers the same topics over and over and over again so you'll have an easy time figuring it out eventually

habz

Postby habz » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:48 am

Anyone in NY have any thoughts on today's graded essay?

collegewriter

Postby collegewriter » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:21 am

How are people reviewing contracts? I think for Torts flashcards make sense but for not so much for contracts. I took notes on all the videos so might just go over that but I'm not sure it's enough as far as memorization goes...

Tripl3Espresso

Postby Tripl3Espresso » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:03 pm

Has anyone had issues as to the accuracy of the essay timer? I usually start my essay's when the time is at X:00 and after I completed my last essay in ~55 minutes (5 minutes remaining), the Themis timer said I still had ~15 minutes to spare.

Update: The above issue only happens if you minimize the window when you are taking the exam.
Last edited by Tripl3Espresso on Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InternationalShoe

Postby InternationalShoe » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:33 pm

smalogna wrote:NY family law lecturer is the first where I am actually guessing sometimes what she wants to convey for the fill in the blanks on the handout. She's the first one not reading from the outline and it's throwing me.

Same here! I think she's pretty good and I'm actually enjoying the material. I also appreciate the different outfits and backgrounds each lecture.

Dumb question, but what did you fill in for the last blank on p.3 of the Family Law outline? I wrote "promise," which I'm pretty sure is correct, but the lecturer never explicitly said so.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:41 pm

I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I've done two Property MBE sets today (took yesterday off for graduation, so yay for me), and I ran into a nearly identical fact pattern with a slightly tweaked question on these two back-to-back sets.

SRSLY? :|

MrMustache

Postby MrMustache » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:26 pm

sd5289 wrote:I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I've done two Property MBE sets today (took yesterday off for graduation, so yay for me), and I ran into a nearly identical fact pattern with a slightly tweaked question on these two back-to-back sets.

SRSLY? :|

Congratulations on your graduation!

I got three or four identical fact patterns on the second set of Torts MBE questions. It was annoying, but they did a decent job of highlighting the difference between pure and modified comparative negligence.

milesdavisjd

Postby milesdavisjd » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:34 pm

Am I the only one really struggling to get through the Property section? It is just so uninteresting, and I'm consistently getting just about 40-50% of the MBE questions right. I know they mentioned this was an issue for a lot of students in the Property MBE Lecture, but I just wanted to confirm that I'm not alone in this.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:45 pm

milesdavisjd wrote:Am I the only one really struggling to get through the Property section? It is just so uninteresting, and I'm consistently getting just about 40-50% of the MBE questions right. I know they mentioned this was an issue for a lot of students in the Property MBE Lecture, but I just wanted to confirm that I'm not alone in this.

I did really really shitty on the MBEs at first but jumped way up in my score on the last set, so maybe it will click eventually? (I hate property too)

Tripl3Espresso

Postby Tripl3Espresso » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:46 pm

milesdavisjd wrote:Am I the only one really struggling to get through the Property section? It is just so uninteresting, and I'm consistently getting just about 40-50% of the MBE questions right. I know they mentioned this was an issue for a lot of students in the Property MBE Lecture, but I just wanted to confirm that I'm not alone in this.

You're not alone. I am having similar struggles with the property MBE questions too.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:47 pm

I just barely made 52% in property. It was horrible. 90% mortgage questions, and I wanted to die. I still have more stuff left for today, but that last MBE set was so bad, I need a break. You're not alone.

EDIT: forgot to mention--although this has been discussed before, this last set tested exceptions and obscure rules not mentioned in lecture. Although I know the MBE practice sets are supposed to help us with those, it was incredibly frustrating because Themis made it seem like mortgages are tested but not as much or in this much depth.

smalogna

Postby smalogna » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:05 pm

habz wrote:Anyone in NY have any thoughts on today's graded essay?

There will be blood. (Many many bad comments)

I completely made up a rule of family law though I'm not beating myself up over it too much as I only started family law last night. The property part I know I didn't go nearly in depth about. Time seemed a lot shorter than the contracts one.

I can't imagine finishing a essay that I know I did poorly on and then having to move on immediately and start another one but alas that probably will happen during the exam.

Lawbro

Postby Lawbro » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:49 pm

The essay sucked. It's hard to write from memory about an area of law you never learned in school, and which you only spent a few hours learning about through lectures and the outline. I wish they gave us more time between finishing topics and writing essays about those topics, so we can actually attempt to memorize the stuff.

Robert Paulson

Postby Robert Paulson » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:26 pm

zot1 wrote:

I just barely made 52% in property. It was horrible. 90% mortgage questions, and I wanted to die. I still have more stuff left for today, but that last MBE set was so bad, I need a break. You're not alone.

EDIT: forgot to mention--although this has been discussed before, this last set tested exceptions and obscure rules not mentioned in lecture. Although I know the MBE practice sets are supposed to help us with those, it was incredibly frustrating because Themis made it seem like mortgages are tested but not as much or in this much depth.

I came to that same conclusion. I made a short outline using the book outline and focused heavily on mortgages and recording rules. My MBE went from 52% to 70%. Honestly, the lectures are only good for general overview whereas the book outline contains the details being tested.

MrMustache

Postby MrMustache » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:02 pm

I'm behind schedule because of property :/ I ended spending 2 extra days on it.

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:17 pm

Real Property >> Torts

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”