Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

zor

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby zor » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:46 pm

Uggggh I don't know what I did but it didn't save my changes to my handout for Contracts Ch 15-end (Geis). Is anyone willing to send me their electronic handout file so I don't have to rewatch the lectures? Please PM! Or you can just give me a list of the blanks?

Unrelated but the guy who does NY Tort distinctions is the most awkward man ever. He doesn't move his arms.

I really don't get why so many of these lectures are people reading the outline. Why not at least have a visual aid--some powerpoint or something? Or soothing kitten photos? Watching awkward people awkwardly read to you is, well, awkward.

[EDIT: I got one, thank you! You're all the best.]
Last edited by zor on Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrMustache

Postby MrMustache » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:33 pm

zor wrote:Uggggh I don't know what I did but it didn't save my changes to my handout for Contracts Ch 15-end (Geis). Is anyone willing to send me their electronic handout file so I don't have to rewatch the lectures? Please PM! Or you can just give me a list of the blanks?

Unrelated but the guy who does NY Tort distinctions is the most awkward man ever. He doesn't move his arms.

I really don't get why so many of these lectures are people reading the outline. Why not at least have a visual aid--some powerpoint or something? Or soothing kitten photos? Watching awkward people awkwardly read to you is, well, awkward.

I don't really use electronic handouts anymore, but my contract's handout should be 2/3 filled in. If no one else has a full one they can send you, I can share mine.

MrMustache

Postby MrMustache » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:56 pm

Do any of you know if we need to remember minority rules? I could have sworn I heard that only majority rules are tested on the Bar in one of Themis's videos, but this torts outline has quite a few minority rules.

FloRida15

Postby FloRida15 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:08 pm

Just bombed Torts MBE PQ set 5. Was doing relatively well and now so frustrated. Got my essay back and I guess grader didn't like the way I write... was told I need to simplify even though I identified all issues got like a 20 on knowing the law and a 2 on structure. Does structure matter that much on the bar???

MarcZero

Postby MarcZero » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:54 pm

FloRida15 wrote:Just bombed Torts MBE PQ set 5. Was doing relatively well and now so frustrated. Got my essay back and I guess grader didn't like the way I write... was told I need to simplify even though I identified all issues got like a 20 on knowing the law and a 2 on structure. Does structure matter that much on the bar???

I don't know how it is in other states, but I've been told that for CA, you for sure need to have all of your headings large and ordered correctly. The essay graders have a ton to read through and they are human. It is known that essay graders have taken essays to grade at family functions and basketball games. If they see the headers and an order that makes sense, it's easier for them to go through and mark it up correctly. With thousands of essays to read, I don't expect the graders to parse every nuance of what we write. Make it easy for them to give you a good score. (My 2 cents.)

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:12 pm

MrMustache wrote:Do any of you know if we need to remember minority rules? I could have sworn I heard that only majority rules are tested on the Bar in one of Themis's videos, but this torts outline has quite a few minority rules.

The MBE questions sometimes tell you which rule to apply so you need to know what they're called (e.g. whether a state follows the lien theory or title theory for mortgages terminating joint tenancies, or the question will ask you about damages under a scheme of several liability). But generally you apply the majority rule unless told otherwise and there shouldn't be questions where it's ambiguous. They also go over it I think because it makes explaining your state's distinctions easier (they can just say your state follows the majority or the minority rule and you already have some idea what that means).

skers

Postby skers » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:14 pm

Prop lectures are GOAT.

Worker and Parasite

Postby Worker and Parasite » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:15 pm

I did a partial MBE PQs (I selected to do 5 instead of 34 because I was in a rush). Does anyone know how I can do the remaining 29? (I sent a msg to Themis about this), I can't find a button to do the remaining questions.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:17 pm

Worker and Parasite wrote:I did a partial MBE PQs (I selected to do 5 instead of 34 because I was in a rush). Does anyone know how I can do the remaining 29? (I sent a msg to Themis about this), I can't find a button to do the remaining questions.

You have to PM them to unlock them. It's dumb.

Themis State Director wrote:Hi everyone,

I just wanted to take a moment to point out a feature of the portal that isn't necessarily obvious, but isuseful.

When you open a set of MBE questions, you will see a drop down menu on the right side for the number of questions. So a 17 question set will have 1 though 17, inclusive, on the list. Generally, you do NOT want to select a number other than 17. (Or 34, 50, 100... whatever is in the assignment.) Doing this will lock out the remaining questions--so again, generally not what you want.

However, you may only have time for, say, 7 questions, but want to come back for the remaining 10 later. In this situation...

- Start the task as you would normally. Keep the number in the drop down menu at 17, etc.

- Once you get through question #7 (in this example), just close the portal. Exit out of the browser tab or window, or click the Themis Bar Review logo at top right. When you do this, you will see a pop up warning. Just confirm that you want to leave the page.

- When you return to that same task in the portal at a later point and click on it, you will see a message that says "You have already completed XX questions. You have XX remaining for this task." (Obviously adjusted for the # of questions). Click begin and complete the questions. When you are done, the results for all 17 questions will be archived for review, both immediately following completion of the full set and for the entire course.

Bottom line: you aren't always locked in to the number of questions we have assigned, but the best way to manage this is to just close the browser and come back to finish the remaining questions later.

Feel free to contact us with any questions (via Study Strategies).

Worker and Parasite

Postby Worker and Parasite » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:20 pm

Nelson wrote:You have to PM them to unlock them. It's dumb.

Thanks! agreed that's dumb

habz

Postby habz » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:43 am

Nelson wrote:
MrMustache wrote:Do any of you know if we need to remember minority rules? I could have sworn I heard that only majority rules are tested on the Bar in one of Themis's videos, but this torts outline has quite a few minority rules.

The MBE questions sometimes tell you which rule to apply so you need to know what they're called (e.g. whether a state follows the lien theory or title theory for mortgages terminating joint tenancies, or the question will ask you about damages under a scheme of several liability). But generally you apply the majority rule unless told otherwise and there shouldn't be questions where it's ambiguous. They also go over it I think because it makes explaining your state's distinctions easier (they can just say your state follows the majority or the minority rule and you already have some idea what that means).

If you're in NY then you need to know the minority rules anyway because, with the exception of lien theory, they seem to like the minority positions.

zor

Postby zor » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:28 am

Worker and Parasite wrote:I did a partial MBE PQs (I selected to do 5 instead of 34 because I was in a rush). Does anyone know how I can do the remaining 29? (I sent a msg to Themis about this), I can't find a button to do the remaining questions.

I found a possible workaround to this. I selected to do all 34 and then on the second Q got some kind of glitch where I clicked "select answer" but nothing displayed. I had to restart my browser. When I went to do the PQs over again, 32 were left and it let me finish AND remembered my first two answers when it came to final review. So if you're in a rush and don't want to do all the PQs, but don't want to bug Themis to unlock the additional Qs for you, just select that you'll do all of them and then abandon it and come back later.

Worker and Parasite

Postby Worker and Parasite » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:38 am

zor wrote:

I found a possible workaround to this. I selected to do all 34 and then on the second Q got some kind of glitch where I clicked "select answer" but nothing displayed. I had to restart my browser. When I went to do the PQs over again, 32 were left and it let me finish AND remembered my first two answers when it came to final review. So if you're in a rush and don't want to do all the PQs, but don't want to bug Themis to unlock the additional Qs for you, just select that you'll do all of them and then abandon it and come back later.

Thanks! I'll try this.

IamIn

Postby IamIn » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:56 am

one of my favorite law school professors is reading the VA real property distinctions lecture! :D so happy to see a familiar face!

millertim3

Postby millertim3 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:32 pm

how is everyone making their final review outlines? I've been using the themis final outline as a boilerplate and then condensing it down every few days. any other strategies?

Worker and Parasite

Postby Worker and Parasite » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:43 pm

millertim3 wrote:how is everyone making their final review outlines? I've been using the themis final outline as a boilerplate and then condensing it down every few days. any other strategies?

I just outline a bit after every lecture. Eventually it turns out to look like the Final Review outlines. Great for essays, useless for MBEs

zot1

Postby zot1 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:45 pm

Got a 75ish% on the third set of Torts MBEs. Happy that Torts was a continuing trend of improvement, but concerned as to why I regressed so much on Ks.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:45 pm

Worker and Parasite wrote:
millertim3 wrote:how is everyone making their final review outlines? I've been using the themis final outline as a boilerplate and then condensing it down every few days. any other strategies?

I just outline a bit after every lecture. Eventually it turns out to look like the Final Review outlines. Great for essays, useless for MBEs

I do this too!

zor

Postby zor » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:48 pm

Is the "Final Review Outline" something different than the regular outline in the book? What are you guys referring to?

texlaw

Postby texlaw » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:57 pm

zot1 wrote:
Worker and Parasite wrote:

I do this too!

Same here, but I only outline the subjects that are on the essays. I don't even bother making an outline for the MBE subjects.

texlaw

Postby texlaw » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:00 pm

zor wrote:

Is the "Final Review Outline" something different than the regular outline in the book? What are you guys referring to?

I received final review outlines as a .zip attachment in my Themis inbox just yesterday. Others seemed to get them much earlier. If you haven't received them yet, you probably will in the near future.

I only received final review outlines for the state specific subjects, though. The MBE subjects only seem to be available in print form in the MBE workbook.

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:11 pm

Pleasye wrote:
Worker and Parasite wrote:I have a question/frustration about the first graded Property essay. Spoilered for those who haven't done it yet.

[+] Spoiler
1. How did the answer establish vertical privity with a deed between A and the owner of the Workshop? That was NOWHERE in the prompt.

2. I wrote about Implied Reciprocal Servitude because (a) I didn't see writing (b) I didn't see privity. Anyone else do this?

I'm going to send a msg to Themis too about this.

As to #2, I did the same thing and my grader just wrote, "non-issue" next to my heading about it :|

Wait, do we get comments? I just got my grade. Also, ljl at an implied reciprocal servitude being a "non-issue." No, don't make an argument on the facts instead assume x, y, and z to show that their might be a real covenant or equitable servitude.

MrMustache

Postby MrMustache » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:02 pm

Interesting. I found the outlines to be quite condensed as they are, if anything I felt like they leave out too many exceptions tested on the MBE. So I just print out the final review outline for the class and add exceptions or additional info from the long outline, video lectures, and MBE answer explanations.

Worker and Parasite

Postby Worker and Parasite » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:54 pm

kjartan wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
Worker and Parasite wrote:I have a question/frustration about the first graded Property essay. Spoilered for those who haven't done it yet.

[+] Spoiler
1. How did the answer establish vertical privity with a deed between A and the owner of the Workshop? That was NOWHERE in the prompt.

2. I wrote about Implied Reciprocal Servitude because (a) I didn't see writing (b) I didn't see privity. Anyone else do this?

I'm going to send a msg to Themis too about this.

As to #2, I did the same thing and my grader just wrote, "non-issue" next to my heading about it :|

Wait, do we get comments? I just got my grade. Also, ljl at an implied reciprocal servitude being a "non-issue." No, don't make an argument on the facts instead assume x, y, and z to show that their might be a real covenant or equitable servitude.

I haven't got my Graded Essay back but you're supposed to get comments. If you just got a grade, I'd complain or send a message. Previous themis threads have mentioned that if your isn't marked up and completely eviscerated, you should ask your advisor for a different grader. But check your messages, maybe your marked up paper is incoming.

zor

Postby zor » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:17 pm

A lot of people here were asking about Critical Pass... I wanted to let everyone know that I just got my cards in the mail (2-day delivery despite signing up for regular First Class) and they are REALLY nice. Nice strong quality, great clear text, and very well-organized. Love the color coordination. They include the exceptions and even include little exam notes about things to watch out for that are often tested. Each card has a blank half to put in your state distinctions and other notes, as well as several blank cards per category to add your own.

I still think they're too expensive for what they are (I think they used to be $75, which seems more reasonable to me), but given that I spent 3+ hours making my own flashcards and only made, like, 10, I can't say I regret buying the 350+. I wish they gave you more blank cards, though, and that they had tabbed dividers, but those are pretty minor issues. I see myself relying on these a lot.

If you decide to go for it, I did get a referral link: http://criticalpass.refr.cc/PSTDQ5R.

For what it's worth, I asked and they said they aren't running any promotions, so I couldn't get any kind of deal out of them, even free shipping. :(

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”