Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

zot1

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby zot1 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:32 am

collegewriter wrote:
MrMustache wrote:
zot1 wrote:Very recently we discovered the mystery of the pace suggestion. What do you guys do when you're done with or have completed all tasks for the day early?

I have asked other people who have already taken (and some passed) the bar, and they all said put in 8-9 hours regardless. But, I feel like trying to cram more per day than the recommended dose is not entirely beneficial. What are your thoughts?

If you can actually remember all of that information I don't see any harm in that. In my case, I know that there's only so much information I can actually memorize in a day. I'm behind schedule right now, so I do extra assignments to catch up.

Normally, I'll only do what was scheduled and if I feel like doing more work I'll just slowly re-read the final outline. If I actually memorize more of the outline - good for me, it'll come in handy with the essays. If I don't do a good job memorizing the outline, then there is no harm and I'll still get to approach new information with a fresh mind the next day.

I'm currently at 1.6% (yay for thinking that meant I was 1.6% ahead of pace :| ). I'll do mindless stuff if I have completed all the tasks for the day and still need to complete more of the course--like making flashcards or typing up rules from MBE PQs. The kind of stuff you can check off to lighten the "review" days and spend that time memorizing. I feel like it is worth it to try and meet the pace or exceed it because completing 1.7-2.0/day in July will not be fun or manageable.

Yeah, I see that my July schedule is a little more loaded.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:21 am

JulyTXBar wrote:Damn. You haven't graduated yet. Seems super late.

I know. My school gets one last punch in by scheduling graduation well after bar prep began. :|

milesdavisjd

Postby milesdavisjd » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:44 am

Pleasye wrote:Anyone know if there is any way to print the essay fact patterns and model answers?

Yup, you can just copy paste them into word!

texlaw

Postby texlaw » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:47 am

InternationalShoe wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
FallonJ wrote:NY taker checking in here. Just finished Torts, the lectures were pretty terrible. I stopped looking at them because I was getting annoyed. Is this man pretending that he is in front of a class? Who is he looking at when he looks at the side? Lol! Anyway, I took the assessments and did the practice questions. Can Professor Geis and Professor McElroy just teach the entire course? hahaha.

Oh don't worry. There is hope. His name is Kramer (Property).

Fellow NY taker here.

Started Property today and Kramer is amazing. It's like learning Property from a hipster version of Toby Ziegler from the West Wing.

Yes, Kramer is great! He also lectures for our Texas property distinctions, so we have him for an additional 8 chapters. :-)

Meanwhile I am getting my butt whooped on the Torts MBEs. Congrats to those of you who have been doing well.

smalogna

Postby smalogna » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:25 am

InternationalShoe wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
FallonJ wrote:NY taker checking in here. Just finished Torts, the lectures were pretty terrible. I stopped looking at them because I was getting annoyed. Is this man pretending that he is in front of a class? Who is he looking at when he looks at the side? Lol! Anyway, I took the assessments and did the practice questions. Can Professor Geis and Professor McElroy just teach the entire course? hahaha.

Oh don't worry. There is hope. His name is Kramer (Property).

Fellow NY taker here.

Started Property today and Kramer is amazing. It's like learning Property from a hipster version of Toby Ziegler from the West Wing.

This.

collegewriter

Postby collegewriter » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:31 am

Has anyone bought an extra MBE question bank program (Adaptibar, Kaplan)? I know quite a few previous Themis users said they bought these and it was one of the most important, if not the most important, part of review. Not sure I 100% buy that unless they failed the first time and used the questions only the second time. But anyways, Themis gives us a pretty paltry number of additional practice questions and I'm wondering if it's worth it, especially since I think I'm already behind...

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:12 pm

collegewriter wrote:Has anyone bought an extra MBE question bank program (Adaptibar, Kaplan)? I know quite a few previous Themis users said they bought these and it was one of the most important, if not the most important, part of review. Not sure I 100% buy that unless they failed the first time and used the questions only the second time. But anyways, Themis gives us a pretty paltry number of additional practice questions and I'm wondering if it's worth it, especially since I think I'm already behind...

I'm guessing it might be helpful later on after we've gotten the bulk of the substantive lectures out of the way. I've already noticed some recycling of questions on the K's MBE sections (slight changes in facts), which tips me off about answer choices. :|

Tripl3Espresso

Postby Tripl3Espresso » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:12 pm

collegewriter wrote:Has anyone bought an extra MBE question bank program (Adaptibar, Kaplan)? I know quite a few previous Themis users said they bought these and it was one of the most important, if not the most important, part of review. Not sure I 100% buy that unless they failed the first time and used the questions only the second time. But anyways, Themis gives us a pretty paltry number of additional practice questions and I'm wondering if it's worth it, especially since I think I'm already behind...

I agree that Themis does not provide enough practice MCQ's. I bit the bullet and purchased adaptibar and I feel like it has helped. There have been a few repeat questions from Themis, but Adaptibar has also tested me on more rules than the practice MBE Themis covers.

If you decide to purchase here is the coupon code I used "RMNTF" (if it doesn't work I am sure you can find another one through a quick google search). It was $50 or $60 off the original price. Still alot for the program, but any discount helps.

collegewriter

Postby collegewriter » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:21 pm

Tripl3Espresso wrote:

I agree that Themis does not provide enough practice MCQ's. I bit the bullet and purchased adaptibar and I feel like it has helped. There have been a few repeat questions from Themis, but Adaptibar has also tested me on more rules than the practice MBE Themis covers.

If you decide to purchase here is the coupon code I used "RMNTF" (if it doesn't work I am sure you can find another one through a quick google search). It was $50 or $60 off the original price. Still alot for the program, but any discount helps.

Thanks for this! I added up all the online questions and it's 2073 total practice MBEs. If you wanted to do them every day you would end up getting ahead in each individual subject. But I do feel like that might be enough--I just don't like the way they are arranged. I would prefer more freedom do to them when I wanted without having it complete an assignment for a future day.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:42 pm

collegewriter wrote:Thanks for this! I added up all the online questions and it's 2073 total practice MBEs. If you wanted to do them every day you would end up getting ahead in each individual subject. But I do feel like that might be enough--I just don't like the way they are arranged. I would prefer more freedom do to them when I wanted without having it complete an assignment for a future day.

Hmm? I've already re-arranged my direct schedule study a bit because the way it was coming out was given me super heavy lecture days and super heavy MBE days, and I just go into the flex study option to balance it out. My direct schedule then adjusts itself based on what I've done.

MrMustache

Postby MrMustache » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:20 pm

Finally got my first essay back (my submission was late). I was surprised, in a good way, that it was 60% even though I felt like I was pulling answers out of my butt, couldn't remember the rules, and missed a bunch of issues (ex. person trying to use commercial lease as residential). A bit more effort and memorization and the pass is within reach.

That said, it would be nice to know HOW exactly the essay was graded. BarBri people get to self-grade some of their essays using a checklist that Bar graders supposedly used for those essays.

Also, given that MBE likes to test exceptions, some discussion of exceptions during video lectures would be nice.

collegewriter

Postby collegewriter » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:08 pm

So in the first essay workshop video she says we should read and outline practice essays before writing an essay. Is she referring to the "Read and Outline" essays under "Essay PQs" or are those something else?

Nanosoft

Postby Nanosoft » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:16 pm

Got my essay back, no surprised. Was told that I spotted the issues correctly and that my judgement was sound, but that I need to work on Black Letter Law.

Anyways...Federal Civ Pro

The way he pronounces defendant is going to drive me mad.... :lol:

Is this a regional thing? Am *I* the one saying it wrong all these years by pronouncing it as defendent ?

Doesn't help that this is my least favorite subject ever. And god damn PA added State Civ Pro on the essay in February.... :?

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:22 pm

I just did my first graded essay, and I def need to work on reading the fact-pattern more carefully. I caught my mistake with about 5 minutes left. Luckily it was an easy fix. Is anyone else struggling with not being able to physically mark up the prompt? I cut and paste into a word processor but it's not the same.

Worker and Parasite

Postby Worker and Parasite » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:26 pm

I have a question/frustration about the first graded Property essay. Spoilered for those who haven't done it yet.

[+] Spoiler
1. How did the answer establish vertical privity with a deed between A and the owner of the Workshop? That was NOWHERE in the prompt.

2. I wrote about Implied Reciprocal Servitude because (a) I didn't see writing (b) I didn't see privity. Anyone else do this?

I'm going to send a msg to Themis too about this.

gr8scOtt!

Postby gr8scOtt! » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:44 pm

How do you tell whether the question is an actual MBE or one that Themis altered?

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:02 pm

Worker and Parasite wrote:I have a question/frustration about the first graded Property essay. Spoilered for those who haven't done it yet.

[+] Spoiler
1. How did the answer establish vertical privity with a deed between A and the owner of the Workshop? That was NOWHERE in the prompt.

2. I wrote about Implied Reciprocal Servitude because (a) I didn't see writing (b) I didn't see privity. Anyone else do this?

I did the exact same thing.

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:17 pm

gr8scOtt! wrote:How do you tell whether the question is an actual MBE or one that Themis altered?

When you click "learn why" it will have this disclaimer at the bottom: "The foregoing NCBE MBE question has been modified to reflect current NCBE stylistic approaches; the NCBE has not reviewed or endorsed this modification."

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:02 pm

I dunno about these lectures. The state specific guys in particular seem useless. They just read a list of changes right off the outline.

nativemtneer

Postby nativemtneer » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:06 pm

kjartan wrote:I just did my first graded essay, and I def need to work on reading the fact-pattern more carefully. I caught my mistake with about 5 minutes left. Luckily it was an easy fix. Is anyone else struggling with not being able to physically mark up the prompt? I cut and paste into a word processor but it's not the same.

I did something similar- I quickly copied, pasted, and printed the question. I'm worthless if I can't underline, circle, scribble notes, etc.

smalogna

Postby smalogna » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:17 pm

collegewriter wrote:So in the first essay workshop video she says we should read and outline practice essays before writing an essay. Is she referring to the "Read and Outline" essays under "Essay PQs" or are those something else?

She means to spend the first 15 minutes outlining your answer before expanding with full sentences and explanations for the remainder of your time. The Read and Outline essays are shorter assignments that Themis puts in later in the process as the benefit of making us write full exam answers after a lot of practice diminishes and our time is better served just outlining the answer and moving on.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:33 pm

Worker and Parasite wrote:I have a question/frustration about the first graded Property essay. Spoilered for those who haven't done it yet.

[+] Spoiler

As to #2, I did the same thing and my grader just wrote, "non-issue" next to my heading about it :|

MrMustache

Postby MrMustache » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:18 pm

The Torts guy sounds surprisingly normal at 1.5 speed.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:23 pm

Re. the NY Essay Workshop lecturer: it may just be me, but I find it adorable in that sort of "awww, you're older" kind of way whenever she tells us to pause the "tape" so we can review the fact pattern before she continues. :lol:

MrMustache

Postby MrMustache » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:45 pm

Themis needs to learn the difference between the words and and or. If a rule states that the damages you can get for Conversion are "full value of property OR replevin" but then one of the correct answers is that damages are for "full value of property AND replevin," it can get a bit confusing.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”