Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Pickled

New

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by Pickled » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:15 pm

skrubba5025 wrote:
Pickled wrote:Passed in WA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely recommend Themis.

Same here, congrats! Have you done the Washington Law component yet? I was planning on doing it this weekend if I have time, but not sure how hard it is.

I have not. Do we need to before we get a bar #?

skrubba5025

New

Post by skrubba5025 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:26 pm

Pickled wrote:
skrubba5025 wrote:

Same here, congrats! Have you done the Washington Law component yet? I was planning on doing it this weekend if I have time, but not sure how hard it is.

Not positive but I believe we do. I talked to another person and they said it's pretty easy and can be done in an afternoon. I'll prob knock it out this weekend.

Pickled

New

Post by Pickled » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:44 pm

skrubba5025 wrote:
Pickled wrote:
skrubba5025 wrote:

Not positive but I believe we do. I talked to another person and they said it's pretty easy and can be done in an afternoon. I'll prob knock it out this weekend.

Cheers to you on passing.

konar

New

Post by konar » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:24 pm

Another passing Themis user checking in. Only completed 35-40%, but I found it very helpful other than the practice questions being absolutely nothing like the real thing. I would still recommend it for the price.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:36 pm

konar wrote:Another passing Themis user checking in. Only completed 35-40%, but I found it very helpful other than the practice questions being absolutely nothing like the real thing. I would still recommend it for the price.
Wow that's really impressive! Congrats!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rockyraccoon1

New

Post by Rockyraccoon1 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:10 pm

I can't hate on Themis, they helped me pass in Missouri. That said, I am with the majority of other posters here who feel like the actual test was nothing like the practice tests, and like the MBE questions were a totally different animal than what Themis had been giving.
The worst was probably civil procedure, but they can't be blamed too much, because of how new that section is. I can't believe how much time I "wasted" memorizing the rules of jurisdiction and all the minutiae associated with it, when it didn't show up once. Blerg. Oh well. Themis is good for the price.

onymous

New

Post by onymous » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:43 pm

Rockyraccoon1 wrote:I can't hate on Themis, they helped me pass in Missouri. That said, I am with the majority of other posters here who feel like the actual test was nothing like the practice tests, and like the MBE questions were a totally different animal than what Themis had been giving.
The worst was probably civil procedure, but they can't be blamed too much, because of how new that section is. I can't believe how much time I "wasted" memorizing the rules of jurisdiction and all the minutiae associated with it, when it didn't show up once. Blerg. Oh well. Themis is good for the price.
I also passed in Missouri and agree with all of this.

More facts: I finished about 85%. I only actually did about two practice essays, but reviewed the answers to all of them. I only did half of the graded essays. I never actually reviewed the outlines until the week before the exam.

I additionally studied using commercial note cards from two separate vendors. I only started trying to write out factor lists during the last week; I read someone's tip to use a whiteboard along the way and to keep doing this in advance--that seems like one of the best pieces of advice.

I think it's very important to start early (I couldn't), and it should be a priority to study the long workbook outlines (I didn't). The video lecture notes are just not enough for what the bar throws at you. Neither are the workbooks, judging from the July test.

sdphill

Silver

Post by sdphill » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:39 am

I passed in Illinois! We don't get our score, so I cannot tell you how I did on the MBE versus essays.

I completed only 66% of Themis. At first, I tried to stick to their schedule as much as possible but I got too far behind. (I had to take a day off each week so I wouldn't burn myself out.) I decided to go with Flex Study starting July 1. I watched all of the videos in a couple of days then drilled the essays and MCQ afterwards. I did buy Critical Pass flashcards and reviewed an MBE subject every night using those. (The one day I took off I did nothing but catch up on TV.) I tried to study between 8-10 hours/day and did only 8 hours/day for the last week because I did not want to burn myself out.

Overall, I did around 750 practice MCQs between Themis and Adaptibar. I felt horrible coming out of the MBE AM session and I was a little more comfortable with the PM session. The essay topics were very manageable for me and honestly, I felt great about them, except the MEE trust essay.

Good luck to all of you who are waiting for your results.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:34 pm

sdphill wrote:I passed in Illinois! We don't get our score, so I cannot tell you how I did on the MBE versus essays.

I completed only 66% of Themis. At first, I tried to stick to their schedule as much as possible but I got too far behind. (I had to take a day off each week so I wouldn't burn myself out.) I decided to go with Flex Study starting July 1. I watched all of the videos in a couple of days then drilled the essays and MCQ afterwards. I did buy Critical Pass flashcards and reviewed an MBE subject every night using those. (The one day I took off I did nothing but catch up on TV.) I tried to study between 8-10 hours/day and did only 8 hours/day for the last week because I did not want to burn myself out.

Overall, I did around 750 practice MCQs between Themis and Adaptibar. I felt horrible coming out of the MBE AM session and I was a little more comfortable with the PM session. The essay topics were very manageable for me and honestly, I felt great about them, except the MEE trust essay.

Dude, super congrats! I love seeing my fellow Themisers passing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mike.alexander23

Bronze

Post by mike.alexander23 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:37 pm

sdphill wrote:I passed in Illinois! We don't get our score, so I cannot tell you how I did on the MBE versus essays.

Nice man. Congrats! What were averaging on Themis MBE % wise? I felt like the Themis questions were completely different than those on the MBE.

sdphill

Silver

Post by sdphill » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:44 pm

mike.alexander23 wrote:

Nice man. Congrats! What were averaging on Themis MBE % wise? I felt like the Themis questions were completely different than those on the MBE.
I was averaging around 80-85% on Themis MBE Questions. A few times I scored above 90%. I do agree that the Themis questions were COMPLETELY different than those on the MBE. It really spooked me during the exam. I felt like Themis did not prepare me for those MBE questions.

greenmachine900

New

Post by greenmachine900 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:24 pm

hey everybody - i passed !

this board was a total savior (especially when i had basically a meltdown). i thought the mbe was an absolute killer. i took the pa bar in 2013 (passed) and thought this was quite a bit harder (and longer). that said, i got basically the same score. i was generally hanging around 60% in the mixed sets for themis, sometimes high and sometimes low, and getting the scores you should "aim for" regularly. i ended up with a 134 on the mbe. so, not stellar, but i honestly thought it could've been loads worse. yay essays!

congrats to those who passed, you got it to those retaking, and it'll be done soon to those still waiting!

chestnutbrowncanary

New

Post by chestnutbrowncanary » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:34 am

Passed in PA. Completed 82% of Themis. Maybe wrote out 3 full essays, otherwise just reviewed the model answers. Did most of the MBE questions available. Abandoned Themis to self-study 3 weeks out from the exam.

Unrelated: does anybody know if we can return our books for $$? I'm guessing not?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mike.alexander23

Bronze

Post by mike.alexander23 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:11 pm

chestnutbrowncanary wrote:Passed in PA. Completed 82% of Themis. Maybe wrote out 3 full essays, otherwise just reviewed the model answers. Did most of the MBE questions available. Abandoned Themis to self-study 3 weeks out from the exam.

Unrelated: does anybody know if we can return our books for $$? I'm guessing not?
Congrats on the Pass! What were your MBE averages? Do you recall your Simulated MBE day score?

Also, I would just sell all your books/outlines/handouts to a self studier

milesdavisjd

New

Post by milesdavisjd » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:59 pm

So I didn't pass in IL, primarily due to low essay scores (which is bizarre, since I was completely freaked out about the MBE). Themis honored their "free repeat" offer and re-enrolled me immediately, but did anyone else on the blog use Themis twice after failing? Any thoughts on supplements for the second time around?

chestnutbrowncanary

New

Post by chestnutbrowncanary » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:02 pm

mike.alexander23 wrote:
chestnutbrowncanary wrote:Passed in PA. Completed 82% of Themis. Maybe wrote out 3 full essays, otherwise just reviewed the model answers. Did most of the MBE questions available. Abandoned Themis to self-study 3 weeks out from the exam.

Congrats on the Pass! What were your MBE averages? Do you recall your Simulated MBE day score?

Also, I would just sell all your books/outlines/handouts to a self studier

Just got my score report back:
MBE: 133
Essay: 147

numbertwo88

Bronze

Post by numbertwo88 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:43 pm

milesdavisjd wrote:So I didn't pass in IL, primarily due to low essay scores (which is bizarre, since I was completely freaked out about the MBE). Themis honored their "free repeat" offer and re-enrolled me immediately, but did anyone else on the blog use Themis twice after failing? Any thoughts on supplements for the second time around?
I used Themis in February after failing last July. I didn't follow the course though. I literally just did all of the MBE questions, essays, and graded essays. I referred to long outlines for super weak MBE areas and the essays subjects but that was about it. I used critical pass cards as my only real main supplement & read the strategies section of Emanuel's strategies and tactics.

You just have to "study smarter" the second time around, changing all of the material - in my opinion - doesn't exactly help. Plus it's costly!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

123lipstick

New

Post by 123lipstick » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:12 pm

I passed PA with Themis!! Just posting because I'm sure the next class will browse through this thread.

Themis was ok for me. I felt like the MBE was stylistically different from the Themis questions. But even my Barbri and Kaplan friends felt the same way.

My essay grader was a waste. Her feedback was unrealistic. She wanted much more analysis than time could allow for. With that said, my essay scores were higher on the bar than on themis. And not because my grader was harsh. But more because I ignored her comments and focused on being short and precise. I also looked at all the essays available. And wrote out completely, atleast half

500pearl

New

Post by 500pearl » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:17 am

milesdavisjd wrote:So I didn't pass in IL, primarily due to low essay scores (which is bizarre, since I was completely freaked out about the MBE). Themis honored their "free repeat" offer and re-enrolled me immediately, but did anyone else on the blog use Themis twice after failing? Any thoughts on supplements for the second time around?
my unsolicited advice
(1) watch the videos again and update your notes (if your notes --- which should be the black letter law and concepts --- of the state subjects)
(2) print out past released essays and model answers from your state's bex (board of bar examiners) *if you are not working then your local library should allow you to do free printing (may have to go visit the library often since libraries have a page limit per day for cost issues)
(3) do about 2-3 essays a day, but no need to write out the answers line for line (just outline what you would mention) and compare your outline answer to the model answer to make sure you hit all the key points (add to your essay subject notes of whatever you missed, overlooked, or anything new that you did not learn from the videos)
(4) and of course, always do the MBE and keep doing it (probably 30 a day starting with one subject at a time, and then move on to mixed questions --- in sets of 50 to 74 a day --- once you have done about 200 questions for each subject)

lilypad144

New

Post by lilypad144 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:15 pm

I passed Michigan :) I will be back with my scores after I receive them!

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:51 pm

lilypad144 wrote:I passed Michigan :) I will be back with my scores after I receive them!
Me too

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mike.alexander23

Bronze

Post by mike.alexander23 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:59 pm

Congrats MI themisers! Can you share your themis stats, please?

% Completed

MBE %

MBE Simulated Day raw score

Thx.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:58 pm

mike.alexander23 wrote:Congrats MI themisers! Can you share your themis stats, please?

% Completed

MBE %

Thx.
90% completed

67%ish MBE

131ish (maybe it was 132) raw score on Simulated Day

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:12 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
lilypad144 wrote:I passed Michigan :) I will be back with my scores after I receive them!
Me too
Yay congrats!!

lilypad144

New

Post by lilypad144 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:45 pm

I completed 92% of the course. I was averaging 50 to 60% on the MBE practice tests. I received a 114 on the simulated day raw score.

Yup, MBE definitely wasn't my strong point.
mike.alexander23 wrote:Congrats MI themisers! Can you share your themis stats, please?

% Completed

MBE %

Thx.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”