Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

MrMustache

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby MrMustache » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:12 pm

zot1 wrote:Very recently we discovered the mystery of the pace suggestion. What do you guys do when you're done with or have completed all tasks for the day early?

I have asked other people who have already taken (and some passed) the bar, and they all said put in 8-9 hours regardless. But, I feel like trying to cram more per day than the recommended dose is not entirely beneficial. What are your thoughts?

If you can actually remember all of that information I don't see any harm in that. In my case, I know that there's only so much information I can actually memorize in a day. I'm behind schedule right now, so I do extra assignments to catch up.

Normally, I'll only do what was scheduled and if I feel like doing more work I'll just slowly re-read the final outline. If I actually memorize more of the outline - good for me, it'll come in handy with the essays. If I don't do a good job memorizing the outline, then there is no harm and I'll still get to approach new information with a fresh mind the next day.

MrMustache

Postby MrMustache » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:13 pm

gr8scOtt! wrote:
MrMustache wrote:Hello everyone!

Checking in for the CA bar. I'm already behind schedule and looking forward to starting Torts later today, after I finish my last set of property MBE questions.

Just wanted to say I like your avatar :D

Thanks! :D

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:21 pm

I've been reading the model answers after each essay and they cover issues that don't apply to the fact-pattern, e.g. warranty of habitability in a commercial lease. Are we actually supposed to cover these non-issues in our answers? It seems like a waste of time but idk.

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:22 pm

Also, I just got an entire essay question wrong because I didn't know a small point of law that wasn't covered in the handout or the outline...

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:48 pm

kjartan wrote:I've been reading the model answers after each essay and they cover issues that don't apply to the fact-pattern, e.g. warranty of habitability in a commercial lease. Are we actually supposed to cover these non-issues in our answers? It seems like a waste of time but idk.

Lol that one made me mad wtf. And then when I got my graded essay back the lady like reamed me about talking about non-issues.

Worker and Parasite

Postby Worker and Parasite » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:11 pm

kjartan wrote:Also, I just got an entire essay question wrong because I didn't know a small point of law that wasn't covered in the handout or the outline...

What did you miss from the Landlord Tenant essay? I found all the issues and they were in the handouts/outline
note: not a brag, I'm actually quite stupid

InternationalShoe

Postby InternationalShoe » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:26 pm

sd5289 wrote:
FallonJ wrote:NY taker checking in here. Just finished Torts, the lectures were pretty terrible. I stopped looking at them because I was getting annoyed. Is this man pretending that he is in front of a class? Who is he looking at when he looks at the side? Lol! Anyway, I took the assessments and did the practice questions. Can Professor Geis and Professor McElroy just teach the entire course? hahaha.

Oh don't worry. There is hope. His name is Kramer (Property).

Fellow NY taker here.

Started Property today and Kramer is amazing. It's like learning Property from a hipster version of Toby Ziegler from the West Wing.

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:27 pm

Worker and Parasite wrote:
kjartan wrote:Also, I just got an entire essay question wrong because I didn't know a small point of law that wasn't covered in the handout or the outline...

What did you miss from the Landlord Tenant essay? I found all the issues and they were in the handouts/outline

Notice of termination of a periodic tenancy must be in writing. I checked the big outline and my lecture handout and either mention that notice of termination must be in writing or that oral notice is ineffective.

sopranorleone

Postby sopranorleone » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:32 pm

kjartan wrote:

Notice of termination of a periodic tenancy must be in writing. I checked the big outline and my lecture handout and either mention that notice of termination must be in writing or that oral notice is ineffective.

This one got me as well

Worker and Parasite

Postby Worker and Parasite » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:33 pm

sopranorleone wrote:
kjartan wrote:

This one got me as well

oh gdi I missed that.

Tripl3Espresso

Postby Tripl3Espresso » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:37 pm

kjartan wrote:

I had the same issue, and submitted a question to whoever my themis tutor is. Here is his response:

"A periodic tenancy is automatically renewed, from period to period, until PROPER notice is given of termination by either party. The issue you are seeing between the multistate outline and the practice exam, is that different jurisdictions define “proper” notice differently. Hence the multistate outline will says notice is required whereas your state specific essay is being more specific about the type of notice. Many jurisdictions, including CA, have statutorily prescribed the notice required to terminate a periodic tenancy. In general, the guidelines are as follows: 1) the tenancy must end at the end of a “natural” lease period 2) For a tenancy from year to year, six months’ notice is required 3) For tenancies less than one year in duration, a full period in advanced of the period in question is required by way of notice (e.g. month to month periodic tenancy, one full month’s notice required.) In general, the notice required to terminate a periodic tenancy must be in writing and must be actually delivered to the party in question or deposited at his residence in a manner similar to that required for service of process. You would be absolutely fine not mentioning it on the bar exam. I hope this helps! "

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:06 pm

OMG the NY distinctions in Property (a/k/a the worthless vocabulary distinctions in the estates and future interests section) = UGH.

Yay for over-complicating things!

collegewriter

Postby collegewriter » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:24 pm

MrMustache wrote:
zot1 wrote:Very recently we discovered the mystery of the pace suggestion. What do you guys do when you're done with or have completed all tasks for the day early?

I have asked other people who have already taken (and some passed) the bar, and they all said put in 8-9 hours regardless. But, I feel like trying to cram more per day than the recommended dose is not entirely beneficial. What are your thoughts?

If you can actually remember all of that information I don't see any harm in that. In my case, I know that there's only so much information I can actually memorize in a day. I'm behind schedule right now, so I do extra assignments to catch up.

Normally, I'll only do what was scheduled and if I feel like doing more work I'll just slowly re-read the final outline. If I actually memorize more of the outline - good for me, it'll come in handy with the essays. If I don't do a good job memorizing the outline, then there is no harm and I'll still get to approach new information with a fresh mind the next day.

I'm currently at 1.6% (yay for thinking that meant I was 1.6% ahead of pace :| ). I'll do mindless stuff if I have completed all the tasks for the day and still need to complete more of the course--like making flashcards or typing up rules from MBE PQs. The kind of stuff you can check off to lighten the "review" days and spend that time memorizing. I feel like it is worth it to try and meet the pace or exceed it because completing 1.7-2.0/day in July will not be fun or manageable.

HND

Postby HND » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:41 pm

CA Bar first timer checking in. Am I the only one who is super behind?! It is going to take me a day or two to catch up if I put in about 12 hour days :(

what overall percentage are you all at?

MarcZero

Postby MarcZero » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:15 pm

HND wrote:CA Bar first timer checking in. Am I the only one who is super behind?! It is going to take me a day or two to catch up if I put in about 12 hour days :(

I'll be crossing 20% today.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:18 pm

HND wrote:CA Bar first timer checking in. Am I the only one who is super behind?! It is going to take me a day or two to catch up if I put in about 12 hour days :(

Right now I'm at 21.1%, but I was trucking along because I have to take all of Thursday off for graduation.

collegewriter

Postby collegewriter » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:28 pm

Apparently I am SUPER behind-- 11.9% as of today.

tomorrowperson

Postby tomorrowperson » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:47 pm

MarcZero wrote:Has anyone received the Critical Pass hard-copy flashcards yet? Any opinions? I'm still on the fence about getting a set.

Yes, and I like them so far. They are helpful and good quality (sturdy and large enough to write on if you want).

MrMustache

Postby MrMustache » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:51 pm

I am at 18.7%. Two solid days of work behind, plus some assignments I didn't finish yesterday.

gr8scOtt!

Postby gr8scOtt! » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:52 pm

tomorrowperson wrote:
MarcZero wrote:Has anyone received the Critical Pass hard-copy flashcards yet? Any opinions? I'm still on the fence about getting a set.

Yes, and I like them so far. They are helpful and good quality (sturdy and large enough to write on if you want).

Agreed.

gr8scOtt!

Postby gr8scOtt! » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:10 pm

Though I just noticed that several of my property cards are different from the rest, and it is sort of driving me nuts :shock:

JulyTXBar

Postby JulyTXBar » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:33 pm

sd5289 wrote:

Right now I'm at 21.1%, but I was trucking along because I have to take all of Thursday off for graduation.

Damn. You haven't graduated yet. Seems super late.

PepsiMinimum

Postby PepsiMinimum » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:52 pm

Man, Civ Pro is painful to get through. How many of you guys are working from home?

zot1

Postby zot1 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:30 am

collegewriter wrote:

Apparently I am SUPER behind-- 11.9% as of today.

I really think it depends on jurisdiction. I'm at 15.7%, but I actually started four days earlier than my program was supposed to.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:31 am

MrMustache wrote:

That's fair. I have been trying to do outlines sometimes. I also think I tend to finish earlier because I speed up the lectures.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”