Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

adevine39

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby adevine39 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:27 am

zot1 wrote:I've been able to keep my cool so far. But today, the nerves are intense.

I am alternating between "I've got this!" and "AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!" on what seems like a minute by minute basis.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:31 am

It's just the waiting part that's aggravating. I know in my head that there's no way I can just blank on everything, but it's like getting a shot...the anticipation is the worst part.

I've been thinking about it as one day at a time. Today all I'm worried about are the NY distinctions. Once I get through tomorrow, I chuck those out and focus only on MBE BLL.

Ahyis

Postby Ahyis » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:28 am

sd5289 wrote:It's just the waiting part that's aggravating. I know in my head that there's no way I can just blank on everything, but it's like getting a shot...the anticipation is the worst part.

I've been thinking about it as one day at a time. Today all I'm worried about are the NY distinctions. Once I get through tomorrow, I chuck those out and focus only on MBE BLL.

My biggest fear is actually doing the MPT while in the back of mind thinking "MBE is tomorrow..." and starting to use real law instead of their fake law.

Raiden

Postby Raiden » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:57 am

Not sure what to do today...uh...review essays? I suppose I will do a set of MBE, not sure if I will do any MBE after today.

somuchbooty

Postby somuchbooty » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:10 pm

Raiden wrote:Not sure what to do today...uh...review essays? I suppose I will do a set of MBE, not sure if I will do any MBE after today.

I am skimming every essay topic outline and acting like I'm actually retaining anything. Also, I'm learning at least one random thing about each topic so I can rant for a paragraph about it in case of an emergency.

Nanosoft

Postby Nanosoft » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:13 pm

Only comforting thought is that, by this time Thursday, this will all be over.... :mrgreen:

Of course, I'm an idiot that waited to take the MPRE after the bar, so I still have that to look forward to in August.... :x

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:22 pm

Nanosoft wrote:Only comforting thought is that, by this time Thursday, this will all be over.... :mrgreen:

Of course, I'm an idiot that waited to take the MPRE after the bar, so I still have that to look forward to in August.... :x

But studying for that will be such a breeze compared to this. You can put in like 4 hours the night before and you'll be fine.

You guys we're almost there. Good luck to all of you :D
Last edited by Pleasye on Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sopranorleone

Postby sopranorleone » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:22 pm

My reaction when I hear ANYTHING law-related on TV now:

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:25 pm

Ugh this day is draaaaaaagggggging. Just hurry up already I want to be done with this!

dunneab

Postby dunneab » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:41 pm

Some practical aspects for NY...

I remember the Essay prep lady said typically subjects were presented alphabetically... for the purposes of best things to revise last etc.-
Is it fair to say:

Morning Possibilities-
Admin
Contracts (perhaps with Conflicts of Law)
Criminal Law & Pro (perhaps with Evidence)
Corporations
Family

Evening Possibilities
Real Property
Torts (perhaps with Conflicts of Law) (CPLR)
Trusts
Wills

And then a potential sub-question on any topic related to Professional Responsibility / elements from CPLR
Last edited by dunneab on Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dunneab

Postby dunneab » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:44 pm

Nanosoft wrote:Only comforting thought is that, by this time Thursday, this will all be over.... :mrgreen:

SNAP. But I think it will oddly be a good way to wean off this study cave lifestyle instead of going cold turkey..

Nanosoft

Postby Nanosoft » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:55 pm

Pleasye wrote:

But studying for that will be such a breeze compared to this. You can put in like 4 hours the night before and you'll be fine.

You guys we're almost there. Good luck to all of you :D

Yeah I'm not really sweating it. I'll probably do the free themis course over a day or two. Still, kinda wish I had it out of the way already.

dunneab wrote:

SNAP. But I think it will oddly be a good way to wean off this study cave lifestyle instead of going cold turkey..

MethadonePRE.... :lol:

charlieMF

Postby charlieMF » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:01 pm

My SO is in one of the few states that start their exam today. He just called me on the lunch break convinced he failed, saying he didn't even answer all the sub parts. He's like the smartest person I know. I am know 100% freaked out.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:05 pm

charlieMF wrote:My SO is in one of the few states that start their exam today. He just called me on the lunch break convinced he failed, saying he didn't even answer all the sub parts. He's like the smartest person I know. I am know 100% freaked out.

Nope nope nope. Don't think about that (and he is probably fine as well).

annapach

Postby annapach » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:35 pm

dunneab wrote:Some practical aspects...

I remember the Essay prep lady said typically subjects were presented alphabetically... for the purposes of best things to revise last etc.-
Is it fair to say:

Morning Possibilities-
Admin
Contracts (perhaps with Conflicts of Law)
Criminal Law & Pro (perhaps with Evidence)
Corporations
Family

Evening Possibilities
Real Property
Torts (perhaps with Conflicts of Law) (CPLR)
Trusts
Wills

And then a potential sub-question on any topic related to Professional Responsibility / elements from CPLR

This is not true in PA

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:54 pm

charlieMF wrote:My SO is in one of the few states that start their exam today. He just called me on the lunch break convinced he failed, saying he didn't even answer all the sub parts. He's like the smartest person I know. I am know 100% freaked out.

How did he call you when we're not allowed phones?

dunneab

Postby dunneab » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:56 pm

annapach wrote:

Is it fair to say:

This is not true in PA

Woops, yes I will edit the original post to say NY.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:06 pm

dunneab wrote:
annapach wrote:

Is it fair to say:

This is not true in PA

Woops, yes I will edit the original post to say NY.

Is this true though? I've looked at past exam NY exam questions on the NY BOLE site, and for example this one has (based on me skimming just now and looking at the questions):

1) Crim Pro, Crim, Pro Resp
2) Corps, K's, Evidence
3) Trusts, Wills
4) Family Law
5) Torts

I guess this order generally follows that claim, but Family Law came after Trusts / Wills, so don't bet on an exact order.

lilypad144

Postby lilypad144 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:07 pm

sd5289 wrote:

I'm sure he had his phone in his car. We're not locked in the building the whole day haha

charlieMF

Postby charlieMF » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:08 pm

sd5289 wrote:

He went back to his hotel room at lunch to eat. Are we not allowed to talk to people on break??

dunneab

Postby dunneab » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:11 pm

Yes, that's true - but I am wondering if BOLE just jumbles it up for reprinting.
For example, they say in February that Wills & Trusts was first. I wonder if the Themis essay prep is then to be believed?

In anycase, whatever happens in the morning, I will at least be able to narrow my focus for the evening and cram a little during lunch..

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:20 pm

charlieMF wrote:
sd5289 wrote:

He went back to his hotel room at lunch to eat. Are we not allowed to talk to people on break??

Lol, oh that's right. Not everyone is going to be at the Javits Center where we're essentially stranded on the West Side Highway. And no, sorry, don't panic. You can talk to people on break.

somuchbooty

Postby somuchbooty » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:57 pm

Commercial Paper outline says fraud is a Real defense, applicable to a HDC.

Commercial Paper essay says fraud is a real defense and won't apply to an HDC.

Good work, Themis. If I knew the law better, I think I would realize how terrible Themis was.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:09 pm

somuchbooty wrote:Commercial Paper outline says fraud is a Real defense, applicable to a HDC.

Commercial Paper essay says fraud is a real defense and won't apply to an HDC.

Good work, Themis. If I knew the law better, I think I would realize how terrible Themis was.

Careful with that. I'm reading through past essay answers too, and I've definitely seen some answers that are "wrong" even though these were the better essays that year. Guess they're right that writing something and doing some kind of analysis is better than blanking and writing nothing.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:10 pm

I mean if Commercial Paper appears on the bar I am going down.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”