Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Confused7

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Confused7 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:15 pm

MrMustache wrote:I don't feel ready. I feel like I fully understand all the concepts and I have lately been consistently getting 70s on the MBE sets, but I don't feel ready for the essays. I can't spit out any of the rules for any of the subjects.

Anyone know any good countries to move to?

I feel the same way right now. I've never been one to use flashcards so I'm literally just reading my outlines over and over again to try to remember the rule statements. I've outlined/written all the essays on Themis already but still feel like something could come out of left field.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:16 pm

Confused7 wrote:
Underoath wrote:Thank you guys...it means a lot to have some support. I feel a little better today, but haven't started anything soooo...time to fuck up my confidence and get things wrong jk haha :) will check in a little later on my progress

I haven't done anything either today - don't worry. Study your weak spots for the next few days but don't burn yourself out.

I just barely started reviewing NY Family Law distinctions. Spent most of the morning in bed watching netflix on my phone because I was too lazy to get out of bed and walk to the living room like a real person would do.

These last few days are excruciating.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:21 pm

sd5289 wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
Underoath wrote:Thank you guys...it means a lot to have some support. I feel a little better today, but haven't started anything soooo...time to fuck up my confidence and get things wrong jk haha :) will check in a little later on my progress

I haven't done anything either today - don't worry. Study your weak spots for the next few days but don't burn yourself out.

I just barely started reviewing NY Family Law distinctions. Spent most of the morning in bed watching netflix on my phone because I was too lazy to get out of bed and walk to the living room like a real person would do.

These last few days are excruciating.

How are you guys splitting your time studying for the MBE subjects v.s. state-specific ones? I'm thinking of skimming all the MBE ones today and then all the NY ones tomorrow. And then Monday is just all about driving up to Albany and maybe looking over old essays I've done.

annapach

Postby annapach » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:29 pm

I keep cycling through the (15 Pennsylvania) topics and then when I get back to the first one I've forgotten it all over again. andddddd repeat

Pickled

Postby Pickled » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:47 pm

zot1 wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
amorsebu14 wrote:Has anyone completed MBE set 16? What are your thoughts? The difficulty level seems to have gone down a notch, and many of the questions are repeats.

Yeah, towards the end I found A LOT of repeats. I did the best in sets 13-17 maybe because they were easier or there were repeats. But then I dropped again at set 18.

Shhhh I didn't do so well on it :oops:

Don't bother comparing. I believe it has been confirmed that everybody's sets differ.

IamIn

Postby IamIn » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:03 pm

MrMustache wrote:I don't feel ready. I feel like I fully understand all the concepts and I have lately been consistently getting 70s on the MBE sets, but I don't feel ready for the essays. I can't spit out any of the rules for any of the subjects.

Anyone know any good countries to move to?

I feel exactly the same way. And I always felt that way before any closed-book exam. On the exam day it will just click, trust me! :)

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:11 pm

Jesus christ Themis. I just did a NY Family Law essay that literally included validity of separation K's, conversion divorce, whether separation K is rescinded, validity of provisions in separation K on spousal maintenance/child support, effect of separation K that's incorporated by reference and survives divorce judgement (a/k/a must demonstrate "extreme hardship" rather than just substantial change in circumstances), child support determinations (best interests), and a motion for change in physical custody.

I'm never pressed for time on an essay and I had less than 3 minutes left on that one. My wrists and brain hurt.

milesdavisjd

Postby milesdavisjd » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:35 pm

Does anyone know how to access the 30 minute reviews through flex study?

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:38 pm

milesdavisjd wrote:Does anyone know how to access the 30 minute reviews through flex study?

What are the 30 minute reviews? :shock:

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:21 pm

LOL, "quantum meruit" appeared on the Corps practice essay I did. That's the first "wut?" moment I've had in a long time...

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:29 pm

sd5289 wrote:LOL, "quantum meruit" appeared on the Corps practice essay I did. That's the first "wut?" moment I've had in a long time...

Haha I know which one you're talking about. I REALLY hope this doesn't happen on the actual test. I don't need quantum meruit or ab initio or anything like that. The only latin phrase better just be respondeat superior lollll.

adevine39

Postby adevine39 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:12 pm

sd5289 wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:
zot1 wrote:
So if you're like me and don't feel like reading the same stuff again, this might be another way to do review without hating your life or feeling like your brain will explode.

Yeah, I've been doing this too, I think I may be done with MBE or maybe do one more 50 question set, because I don't need to create more anxiety by underperforming a day before the test.

And being able to see every question for a specific subject and just go through to see where you got it wrong is really, really helpful and I think maybe the most efficient way you could study for the MBE at this point.

I don't really plan on doing much studying the day before. All it will do is stress you out, make you more tired, etc., and there's nothing you can do in that last day of studying that's going to have an effect on passing. I'm actually doing my marathon training long run on Monday instead of the traditional Sunday because it'll release some stress, take my mind off the bar, and I'll certainly fall asleep that night since long runs always have that effect.

I'm doing some essays and maybe an MBE set today, maybe a few essays tomorrow, and mostly reviewing and flashcards today and tomorrow.

I'm ready to take it now. If it was tomorrow I'd be ecstatic. I just want it over with. And now I don't want to do anything that's going to torpedo how I feel right now.

You doing the NYC Marathon in November? I really hope that I get some good news right before to help me run fast. ;)

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:15 pm

adevine39 wrote:You doing the NYC Marathon in November? I really hope that I get some good news right before to help me run fast. ;)

Yup! First time back since 2011 (been doing marathons in other cities). I love this race. It's still the most fun I've had at a marathon and can't wait to do it again.

And word. I just made the connection yesterday that we'll get our results right beforehand. It will either be good news to help me BQ or a way to take out all my frustrations and hopefully BQ. 8)

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:43 pm

Question about NY no-fault insurance. I know that in certain cases P cannot sue under torts even if there's death/serious disfigurement/fracture, D was uninsured, or the economic damages was more than $50,000. For example, when P is intoxicated or contributed to the accident himself, when he is committing a felony while being injured, when he is a stolen car, and when he is uninsured. Do these bars also apply to P recovering the no-fault insurance amount? Or do they only apply to the exceptions of when you can sue despite no-fault insurance?

zot1

Postby zot1 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:59 pm

Raise your hand if you haven't done a lot today and feel super guilty about it but not guilty enough to actually do something about it!

*Slowly raises hand*

skrubba5025

Postby skrubba5025 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:03 pm

zot1 wrote:Raise your hand if you haven't done a lot today and feel super guilty about it but not guilty enough to actually do something about it!

*Slowly raises hand*

Yeah I'm pretty fried at the moment. Doing a review of Trusts and Wills and then probably calling it a day.

kgus22

Postby kgus22 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:14 pm

anyone have a condensed NY CPLR outline/cheat sheet?

hawkhill

Postby hawkhill » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:29 pm

CivPro question:

When requesting a deposition or interrogatory of a non-party witness, what is the procedure? When do you need a subponea and/or do you have to get court approval?

Sefolifau

Postby Sefolifau » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:31 pm

zot1 wrote:Raise your hand if you haven't done a lot today and feel super guilty about it but not guilty enough to actually do something about it!

*Slowly raises hand*

I'm done soon, 2 sets of 50 MBE questions and maybe a secured transactions essay later. Dear God I just want to have a beer and fall asleep by the pool.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:32 pm

hawkhill wrote:CivPro question:

When requesting a deposition or interrogatory of a non-party witness, what is the procedure? When do you need a subponea and/or do you have to get court approval?

Deposition - you need notice to depose a party. If you need to depose a non-party witness, you need a subpoena. There are 2 kinds of subpoena with long Latin names. One is for deposing a non-party witness and the other is to require anyone to bring documents to the deposition. You need court approval to depose more than 11 people, depose someone before mandatory disclosures are provided (which usually happens 14 days after discovery conference), or to depose a witness more than once.

Interrogatory - you are limited to 25 and can only serve them on the party. Though for matrimonial actions, I think you can serve an interrogatory on non-party witnesses who can speak to the financial situation of the spouses. You need court approval if you have more than 25 interrogatories.
Last edited by Confused7 on Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:34 pm

Sefolifau wrote:

*Slowly raises hand*

I'm done soon, 2 sets of 50 MBE questions and maybe a secured transactions essay later. Dear God I just want to have a beer and fall asleep by the pool.

Yes, yes, and yes. I've decided not to do anymore MBEs or essays and am literally spending the time now until forever rereading my outlines.

hawkhill

Postby hawkhill » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:35 pm

Confused7 wrote:
hawkhill wrote:CivPro question:

Deposition - you need notice to depose a party. If you need to depose a non-party witness, you need a subpoena. There are 2 kinds of subpoena with long Latin names. One is for deposing a non-party witness and the other is to require anyone to bring documents to the deposition. You need court approval to depose more than 11 people or to depose a witness more than once.

Interrogatory - you are limited to 25 and can only serve them on the party. Though for matrimonial actions, I think you can serve an interrogatory on non-party witnesses who can speak to the financial situation of the spouses. You need court approval if you have more than 25 interrogatories.

This was perfect, thank you

milesdavisjd

Postby milesdavisjd » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:36 pm

Confused7 wrote:
milesdavisjd wrote:Does anyone know how to access the 30 minute reviews through flex study?

Ha, apparently nothing besides my own stupidity. I thought it was a 30 min review lecture of each MBE topic, but it actually meant just "review your notes in each topic for 30 minutes".

Wishful thinking. I thought the advanced sales lecture was really helpful and wish they would do something similar for the other topics.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:38 pm

milesdavisjd wrote:
Confused7 wrote:

Ha, apparently nothing besides my own stupidity. I thought it was a 30 min review lecture of each MBE topic, but it actually meant just "review your notes in each topic for 30 minutes".

Wishful thinking. I thought the advanced sales lecture was really helpful and wish they would do something similar for the other topics.

Oooh haha thanks for letting me know! I got really excited when I read that too.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:39 pm

So I did another MBE set today, and went "down" (not substantially, but definitely down).

Then when I was reviewing I noticed that every question I missed was one that would have been scaled out anyway (quite a few are the "revised" questions). So keep in mind when you're doing these, pay attention to the ones where the majority of people picked the wrong answer. I just hit a stupidly "hard" set in the sense that the ones I got wrong, everyone got wrong or were all over the map. When I scaled those out, my score was consistent with where I've been the past few weeks.

Hopefully that will help with respect to keeping your confidence up, especially where a lot of these later sets are so damn random and obscure.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”