Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
sd5289

Gold

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by sd5289 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:29 pm

smalogna wrote:How do you know when your essay has been graded? Do you receive a message?

Just completed my 4th set of K MBE questions and the goal was still 50%, shouldn't that be increasing?
Yes, I got an email that told me it had been graded and how to log in and access it.

My sets of both K's and Torts MBE questions have still had the practice goal of 50%. I'm not sure if it increases, or if it's the milestone exams where they increase? I'm guessing the latter because we're still in the process of memorizing (and for that matter learning since there's a lot of law in the MBE practice set answer explanations that we didn't get in the lectures)?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:29 pm

Reviewing Torts: (spoiler to a torts question in either assessment or MBE PB below)

NIED, according to the outlines, requires essentially a threat of physical impact. The lecturer sort of makes this more complicated by mentioning "exceptions to physical-injury requirement," which made me believe injury was required. There was a question, either an assessment or an MBE PQ, regarding a kid almost getting hit by some construction workers while his mom was watching. The correct answer was no claim for the kid because he suffered no physical harm. But wouldn't it be more proper to say that there was no claim because he didn't fear for his safety because he wasn't aware this almost happen? I mean, the correct answer according to Themis sort of implies there is a physical harm, right?

Any help with how y'all understand this concept will be greatly appreciated since apparently the differences between IIED and NIED are heavily tested on the bar (per long outline).

LetsGoLAW

Bronze

Post by LetsGoLAW » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:50 pm

Themis responded about the essays. The final goal is to average 65-70 points/100 by the bar exam. Good luck.

Tripl3Espresso

New

Post by Tripl3Espresso » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:31 pm

zot1 wrote:Reviewing Torts: (spoiler to a torts question in either assessment or MBE PB below)

NIED, according to the outlines, requires essentially a threat of physical impact. The lecturer sort of makes this more complicated by mentioning "exceptions to physical-injury requirement," which made me believe injury was required. There was a question, either an assessment or an MBE PQ, regarding a kid almost getting hit by some construction workers while his mom was watching. The correct answer was no claim for the kid because he suffered no physical harm. But wouldn't it be more proper to say that there was no claim because he didn't fear for his safety because he wasn't aware this almost happen? I mean, the correct answer according to Themis sort of implies there is a physical harm, right?

Any help with how y'all understand this concept will be greatly appreciated since apparently the differences between IIED and NIED are heavily tested on the bar (per long outline).
From what I understand, NIED must result in some type of physical harm where the defendant's negligent conduct results in physical harm or emotional distress that manifests itself into a physical illness/harm in which it can satisfy that element. This is different from IIED because the defendants intentional conduct must result in only emotional distress.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:13 am

LetsGoLAW wrote:Themis responded about the essays. The final goal is to average 65-70 points/100 by the bar exam. Good luck.
Seriously?

That makes me feel better about that first score then. Apparently they're not kidding about the "if you don't know the rule, make it up" advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

city123

New

Post by city123 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:21 pm

Why are the graded essays on a scale from 1-6 if we need up to 100 points on the actual bar? Are we just supposed to gauge our progress by the percentage, i.e. 4/6 is likely passing?

habz

New

Post by habz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:24 pm

city123 wrote:Why are the graded essays on a scale from 1-6 if we need up to 100 points on the actual bar? Are we just supposed to gauge our progress by the percentage, i.e. 4/6 is likely passing?
I think that, on the NY bar at least, the graders grade on a 1-6 scale which gets converted to a score. Themis recommends shooting for threes across the board

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:22 pm

50 on my first graded essay :cry: eff you property

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:35 pm

Nevermind I am dumb.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:22 pm

Tripl3Espresso wrote:
zot1 wrote:Reviewing Torts: (spoiler to a torts question in either assessment or MBE PB below)

From what I understand, NIED must result in some type of physical harm where the defendant's negligent conduct results in physical harm or emotional distress that manifests itself into a physical illness/harm in which it can satisfy that element. This is different from IIED because the defendants intentional conduct must result in only emotional distress.
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense! I actually just had a practice MBE question that also helped cleared that out for me.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:05 pm

Got a 67ish% on my last torts MBE. Better (given the 50% goal), but keep feeling like it's not enough. :shock:

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:18 pm

zot1 wrote:Got a 67ish% on my last torts MBE. Better (given the 50% goal), but keep feeling like it's not enough. :shock:
I got a 74% on my Torts MBE yesterday and was ecstatic. About to start another K's one and fully expecting 50-55%. :|

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:36 pm

sd5289 wrote:
zot1 wrote:Got a 67ish% on my last torts MBE. Better (given the 50% goal), but keep feeling like it's not enough. :shock:
I got a 74% on my Torts MBE yesterday and was ecstatic. About to start another K's one and fully expecting 50-55%. :|
74% is totally more respectable! Ks has been a roller coaster. 52ish% the first one, then 71% which made me feel like I was finally getting it, but then went back down to 56% on the third one. :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MrMustache

Bronze

Post by MrMustache » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:49 pm

Hello everyone!

Checking in for the CA bar. I'm already behind schedule and looking forward to starting Torts later today, after I finish my last set of property MBE questions.

habz

New

Post by habz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:51 pm

how long did they say to would take to get back the graded essays?

MrMustache

Bronze

Post by MrMustache » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:53 pm

habz wrote:how long did they say to would take to get back the graded essays?
Two days if you submitted it as scheduled. If not, it'll be graded after they deal with timely submissions.

habz

New

Post by habz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:56 pm

MrMustache wrote:
Two days if you submitted it as scheduled. If not, it'll be graded after they deal with timely submissions.
weird then. i submitted on friday and not a peep

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gr8scOtt!

Bronze

Post by gr8scOtt! » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:05 pm

MrMustache wrote:Hello everyone!

Checking in for the CA bar. I'm already behind schedule and looking forward to starting Torts later today, after I finish my last set of property MBE questions.
Just wanted to say I like your avatar :D

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:17 pm

habz wrote:
MrMustache wrote:
Might depend on your state. I'm MI, submitted Saturday evening, and got it back last night.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:18 pm

I was getting this message a lot in the 4th set of MBE K's questions. This is only the 4th set, and they're already running out of NCBE endorsed questions? :|
The foregoing NCBE MBE question has been modified to reflect current NCBE stylistic approaches; the NCBE has not reviewed or endorsed this modification.

habz

New

Post by habz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:40 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
habz wrote:
MrMustache wrote:
Might depend on your state. I'm MI, submitted Saturday evening, and got it back last night.
right on cue, of course, i got my grade. this scoring rubric is bizarre at best. 62 overall on NY contracts

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

misterjames

Bronze

Post by misterjames » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:55 pm

consistently hitting 58% on MBEs (just Ks and Torts so far), first Graded Essay was 67%. i guess in isolated doses this is ok but i still feel like i'm not remembering anything, especially the NY distinctions. just did another Torts practice essay and it's pretty obvious my biggest problem is memorizing and regurgitating the rules verbatim. ugh

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:02 pm

Very recently we discovered the mystery of the pace suggestion. What do you guys do when you're done with or have completed all tasks for the day early?

I have asked other people who have already taken (and some passed) the bar, and they all said put in 8-9 hours regardless. But, I feel like trying to cram more per day than the recommended dose is not entirely beneficial. What are your thoughts?

MarcZero

Bronze

Post by MarcZero » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:11 pm

sd5289 wrote:I was getting this message a lot in the 4th set of MBE K's questions. This is only the 4th set, and they're already running out of NCBE endorsed questions? :|
The foregoing NCBE MBE question has been modified to reflect current NCBE stylistic approaches; the NCBE has not reviewed or endorsed this modification.
I've seen those since my second set of MBE questions. In fact, I got the original and modified question in the same set so I could see exactly how they modified it. (Farmer who attempts to deed land, but gets in a car crash, and has a 20 year-old will). I can tell you every time the modified question seemed to be horseshit. I'm hoping they are spacing these things out so we still have fresh questions at the end.

MarcZero

Bronze

Post by MarcZero » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:12 pm

Has anyone received the Critical Pass hard-copy flashcards yet? Any opinions? I'm still on the fence about getting a set.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”