Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

zot1

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby zot1 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:03 pm

My two cents:

After I finish an MBE set I analyze what I did wrong. Sometimes the same rules come up over and over again and I would get them wrong. Then I would fix it and my scores would improve. For example, I used to not get the speech related laws AT ALL. So I spent a good amount of time understanding all of the rules and why they were that way/had that standard. My con law scores have improved since.

Another example is termination of easements. I kept making the mistake of forgetting that express easements cannot be terminated because of lack of use or because of subsequent purchases.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that if you can zero in on specific rules that you're missing all the time, like I was, and then you spend some time on those rules, you might see some improvement.

annapach

Postby annapach » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:20 pm

sd5289 wrote:The MBE sets seem to be increasingly testing random obscure rules at this point. Earlier today I had a question where the only reason I got it right was because I could definitely tell 3 of the answer choices were wrong. I had never even heard of the rule of the correct answer choice, but chose it because I'd eliminated the other 3. I think today was the last day I'm doing a full set, but I'll do questions (and an essay or two) each day to stay fresh and now just focus on memorizing as much as I can.

Also trying to make sure I don't burn out in this last week. I am SO exhausted and just mentally tired at this point.

Officially decided to stop MBE practice and only memorize state law today. was kind of refreshing !

Raiden

Postby Raiden » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:30 pm

How are some of the ways you all are memorizing information now? I feel like just rewriting rules from essays, but perhaps that is just too rudimentary.

eloise16

Postby eloise16 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:44 pm

annapach wrote:
sd5289 wrote:The MBE sets seem to be increasingly testing random obscure rules at this point. Earlier today I had a question where the only reason I got it right was because I could definitely tell 3 of the answer choices were wrong. I had never even heard of the rule of the correct answer choice, but chose it because I'd eliminated the other 3. I think today was the last day I'm doing a full set, but I'll do questions (and an essay or two) each day to stay fresh and now just focus on memorizing as much as I can.

Also trying to make sure I don't burn out in this last week. I am SO exhausted and just mentally tired at this point.

Officially decided to stop MBE practice and only memorize state law today. was kind of refreshing !

I did the same thing!!! It was absolutely glorious and my mind feels so much clearer. The MBE was really throwing me off.

Tripl3Espresso

Postby Tripl3Espresso » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:44 am

marthac66 wrote:
Lawbro wrote:I'm doing worse on the MBE sets than I did last week. Not sure if they're getting harder or I'm regressing here :?

Snap! I'm hitting 50s and that terrifies me...my confidence has taken a huge battering with these mixed sets.

You guys aren't alone, I have also been a victim of regression. If you haven't already, I ended up doing the additional MBE's in the practice book and that brought my confidence back up.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:54 am

Started waking up early today (6:30am to be exact) to get my body used to being up really early again. This sucks. :D Bring on the coffee.

smalogna

Postby smalogna » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:39 am

sd5289 wrote:Started waking up early today (6:30am to be exact) to get my body used to being up really early again. This sucks. :D Bring on the coffee.

I have to be at my testing site at 7:30 on the first test day. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

eloise16

Postby eloise16 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:52 am

smalogna wrote:
sd5289 wrote:Started waking up early today (6:30am to be exact) to get my body used to being up really early again. This sucks. :D Bring on the coffee.

I have to be at my testing site at 7:30 on the first test day. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I tried to get up at 6am. I failed. Then I spent $2 on an app called "Step out of bed" that literally will not turn off until you get up and take 20 steps. Genius! It better work or I am screwed.

Tripl3Espresso

Postby Tripl3Espresso » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:06 am

Raiden wrote:How are some of the ways you all are memorizing information now? I feel like just rewriting rules from essays, but perhaps that is just too rudimentary.

I made 1 page attack outlines, that trigger my memory. This allows me to exercise making up rule statements on the spot. I am always able to spot the issues, but if I am unable to remember it helps to know what I can relate it to.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:19 am

smalogna wrote:

Same. And then 8:00 on the second day. I'm doing it in baby steps. Will try to be up by 6:00 tomorrow.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:25 am

Is anyone getting anxious when about to do practice essays/MBEs. Lately, I waste as much time as possible before starting an exam because it's making me anxious.

sp1kedrat

Postby sp1kedrat » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:00 pm

did we ever come to a consensus on wallet/keys for ny bar?

IamIn

Postby IamIn » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:07 pm

zot1 wrote:Is anyone getting anxious when about to do practice essays/MBEs. Lately, I waste as much time as possible before starting an exam because it's making me anxious.

I am. I started doing MBE mixed sets every other day because I am scared I don't do well and I lose my confidence. Instead, I'm reviewing one MBE subject and a few essay subjects per day.

annapach

Postby annapach » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:08 pm

I am also "reviewing" state subjects although I feel like I am learning everything for the first time/retained nothing from the initial lectures. Was it just too long ago? :(

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:13 pm

gonna try to do two essays plus 50 MBE questions a day, which won't take too long; my extra time will be spent aimlessly web surfing and putting off reviewing my 50 MBE questions; then maybe outlining some more essays if I can stomach it.

GULCPerson

Postby GULCPerson » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:14 pm

annapach wrote:I am also "reviewing" state subjects although I feel like I am learning everything for the first time/retained nothing from the initial lectures. Was it just too long ago? :(

I'm with you. I feel like every time I do an essay, there is some rule that I've never seen before. Just did a crim essay that asks how the court would rule on a motion to exclude evidence based on illegal search/seizure. Wrote a long answer about exceptions to the warrant requirement, probable cause, not unduly suggestive identification, etc... Was quite proud of myself.

Nope, whole motion should be denied as untimely because of a civil procedure rule I didn't know about. $&*&%!!

zor

Postby zor » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:17 pm

sp1kedrat wrote:did we ever come to a consensus on wallet/keys for ny bar?

Nope. And I also don't know what to do about my laptop--we're supposed to just leave thousands of laptops unsecured in an airplane hangar for lunch??

And is there going to be enough time to get my lunch in the personal belongings purgatory or will the lines be too long?

IamIn

Postby IamIn » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:18 pm

GULCPerson wrote:
annapach wrote:I am also "reviewing" state subjects although I feel like I am learning everything for the first time/retained nothing from the initial lectures. Was it just too long ago? :(

I'm with you. I feel like every time I do an essay, there is some rule that I've never seen before. Just did a crim essay that asks how the court would rule on a motion to exclude evidence based on illegal search/seizure. Wrote a long answer about exceptions to the warrant requirement, probable cause, not unduly suggestive identification, etc... Was quite proud of myself.

Nope, whole motion should be denied as untimely because of a civil procedure rule I didn't know about. $&*&%!!

What rule? Can you please share?
I'm nervous..

zot1

Postby zot1 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:23 pm

IamIn wrote:
zot1 wrote:Is anyone getting anxious when about to do practice essays/MBEs. Lately, I waste as much time as possible before starting an exam because it's making me anxious.

I am. I started doing MBE mixed sets every other day because I am scared I don't do well and I lose my confidence. Instead, I'm reviewing one MBE subject and a few essay subjects per day.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was literally looking for excuses this morning not to do an exam. I actually just clicked begin so I would be forced to do it. It was a nice treat to find out that this set was only 50 questions instead of 100. But then I thought, I shouldn't be whining about 100 when I have 200 coming my way next week :shock: .

GULCPerson

Postby GULCPerson » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:25 pm

IamIn wrote:
GULCPerson wrote:

What rule? Can you please share?
I'm nervous..

From the Virginia Criminal Procedure Outline:

Defense motions or objections seeking
(i) the suppression of evidence seized during illegal searches and seizures or statements obtained in violation of the right against self-incrimination
(ii) the dismissal of a charging document or count therein on the ground that the defendant would be deprived the right to speedy trial or be in double jeopardy, or
(iii) dismissal based upon an unconstitutional statute
must be made in writing and notice given to opposing counsel not later than seven days before a circuit court trial or, if made under subsection (ii) above, before trial as the grounds arise.

smalogna

Postby smalogna » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:32 pm

zor wrote:
sp1kedrat wrote:did we ever come to a consensus on wallet/keys for ny bar?

Nope. And I also don't know what to do about my laptop--we're supposed to just leave thousands of laptops unsecured in an airplane hangar for lunch??

And is there going to be enough time to get my lunch in the personal belongings purgatory or will the lines be too long?

Yes we have to leave our laptops during lunch break in the room.

And yes lines will be long, I may risk it with the $20 price tag for a prepared lunch

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:46 pm

Count me in as another person who's a) ready to take the damn thing already, and b) doesn't want to ruin my qualified confidence going in after some good MBE scores and essays over the past week or so. But I also want to stay fresh. From what it's worth, I see in the directed study schedule (which expects me to do 3.2% today, haha, good one) that the emphasis shifts to review and memorization in the last week. Everyone I've talked to who passed also suggest switching to that framework but doing a few questions and/or essays each day just to keep those skills we've built over the summer.

IamIn

Postby IamIn » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:11 pm

sd5289 wrote:Count me in as another person who's a) ready to take the damn thing already, and b) doesn't want to ruin my qualified confidence going in after some good MBE scores and essays over the past week or so. But I also want to stay fresh. From what it's worth, I see in the directed study schedule (which expects me to do 3.2% today, haha, good one) that the emphasis shifts to review and memorization in the last week. Everyone I've talked to who passed also suggest switching to that framework but doing a few questions and/or essays each day just to keep those skills we've built over the summer.

Sounds like a solid approach. I am doing 15-20 MBE questions a day with Adaptibar, read essays, and re-read lecture handouts for my state-specific subjects. I, for some reason, do not like reading final review outlines. It's just hard for me to memorize stuff when all I see is barebones black letter law with no examples/explanations.

kateebee

Postby kateebee » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:12 pm

Any MD takers notice that there are essays called "MD Constitutional Law Distinctions" but no Maryland specific Constitutional Law materials? Unless I missed them somewhere?

zot1

Postby zot1 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:12 pm

sd5289 wrote:Count me in as another person who's a) ready to take the damn thing already, and b) doesn't want to ruin my qualified confidence going in after some good MBE scores and essays over the past week or so. But I also want to stay fresh. From what it's worth, I see in the directed study schedule (which expects me to do 3.2% today, haha, good one) that the emphasis shifts to review and memorization in the last week. Everyone I've talked to who passed also suggest switching to that framework but doing a few questions and/or essays each day just to keep those skills we've built over the summer.

I mentioned a few days back that my advisor had me go off the directed schedule and to do one MBE set and two essays every day and then spent the rest of the day reviewing. I've been doing that for a few days and I really like it. I think, personally, just doing review all day would drive me nuts.

I'm also considering not doing anything the day before the exam, but not sure if that's a stupid idea.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”