Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Pleasye

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Pleasye » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:49 pm

zot1 wrote:comforting Themis message

What state are you in?

I feel like Themis doesn't bother sending any of these types of messages to CA takers :cry:

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:53 pm

Technical question: for the last week or so, Themis has wanted me to do (the final) 2 MPTS each day. I never do them, and it gets pushed to the next day (I want to do them a bit closer to the exam). Their presence has forced me to abandon directed study entirely, since it won't let me go on without doing them. Anything I can do about that?

zot1

Postby zot1 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:55 pm

Pleasye wrote:
zot1 wrote:comforting Themis message

What state are you in?

I feel like Themis doesn't bother sending any of these types of messages to CA takers :cry:

UBE state. It's hard to comfort CA bar takers, but I think her message generally applies.

Pickled

Postby Pickled » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:58 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:Technical question: for the last week or so, Themis has wanted me to do (the final) 2 MPTS each day. I never do them, and it gets pushed to the next day (I want to do them a bit closer to the exam). Their presence has forced me to abandon directed study entirely, since it won't let me go on without doing them. Anything I can do about that?

Just write aything in the text box and submit. I did this quite often with practice essays and then just did them later in a word document.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:04 pm

Okay seriously considering taking the day off. I've been trying to read the family law outline for two hours and I'm just in page 12. I just keep feeling like it's irresponsible to take a break this late in the game, but maybe that's exactly what my brain needs? Feedback encouraged :)

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:06 pm

Pickled wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:Technical question: for the last week or so, Themis has wanted me to do (the final) 2 MPTS each day. I never do them, and it gets pushed to the next day (I want to do them a bit closer to the exam). Their presence has forced me to abandon directed study entirely, since it won't let me go on without doing them. Anything I can do about that?

Just write aything in the text box and submit. I did this quite often with practice essays and then just did them later in a word document.

Forgive me for being dumb, but how can you tell which ones you already did if it's been checked off?

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:23 pm

I've gone through two MBE mixed sets today (and one damned NY set).

First MBE set was 56% correct and I went "shit."

However, second MBE set was 74% to which I went "ah, that's better."

So add me to the list of people fluctuating wildly on the MBE mixed sets. :|

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:32 pm

Lol after 6 68%s in a row, I finally managed...wait for it...a 69%. LMAO. I AM SO DONE.

NonJuris

Postby NonJuris » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:36 pm

Last edited by NonJuris on Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sopranorleone

Postby sopranorleone » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:59 pm

NonJuris wrote:So from the milestone exam until now I have been like zeroed in on MBE subjects and questions, and got a mixed set last night up to 75%. so that's good.

But I feel like in the process, all the rule statement memorization I had fell out of my head for the essays, and I haven't even begun to internalize those rules for some of the non-MBE subjects in CA, like CP, Wills, Trusts, and Prof. Responsibility.

So that's bad.

Anyone interested in starting a band if/when we fail the Bar? I play decent guitar and keys, and can add an aura of general despair and sadness.

I don't know how to play any musical instrument, but I'm in. I would literally rather learn how to play every musical instrument than have to study for the bar again.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:10 pm

Gotta rant on a Con Law question in my last mixed set for a second...

[+] Spoiler
A state statute provides that only citizens of the United States may be employed by that state. In an action brought in a federal court, a resident alien who was prevented from obtaining state employment as a garbage collector solely because of his alien status challenged the statute's constitutionality as applied to his circumstances. Which of the following statements concerning the burden of persuasion applicable to this suit is correct?

Correct answer: The state must demonstrate that the citizenship requirement is necessary to advance an important state interest.

My reaction to this was none of these standards are correct because strict scrutiny applies! There were two rational basis answers and two intermediate scrutiny answers. I finally went with a rational basis with burden on the plaintiff cause I thought maybe I'm missing some random weird exception that also includes garbage collectors because I don't know? Had this damned answer choice said "compelling" I would've hit that and never looked back. Even the answer explanation admits this:

"Of the four answer choices presented, answer choice D best states the standard for strict scrutiny, even though it uses the word "important" rather than "compelling" when describing the state's interest."

Is the MBE really going to do something like that?! I can even tell by the timing it took for me to answer (2:28) that something was wrong.

ETA: I think this also shows why test mode is the credited response. I would've been super pissed at that, and it likely would've affected me in the later questions.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:27 pm

I just cracked up after reading this language in an answer choice: "The attempted security arrangement is a creature unknown to the law, hence a nullity." I'm losing it.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:30 pm

Confused7 wrote:I just cracked up after reading this language in an answer choice: "The attempted security arrangement is a creature unknown to the law, hence a nullity." I'm losing it.

What does that even mean?

IamIn

Postby IamIn » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:33 pm

Confused7 wrote:I just cracked up after reading this language in an answer choice: "The attempted security arrangement is a creature unknown to the law, hence a nullity." I'm losing it.

Haha I saw that one too! I want to use the phrase in one my essays! :D

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:39 pm

This simulated MBE guy is way off about which questions are easy and which are hard.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:01 pm

Just got an e-mail with a giant headline graphic:

<My Name>, are you responsible for for injuries to people not invited onto your property?

Turns out it was spam for homeowners insurance from Wells Fargo but for a split second I thought it was some kind of weird bar-related e-mail quiz and thought about the distinction between discovered and undiscovered trespassers, attractive nuisances, and spring-loaded weapons.

Pickled

Postby Pickled » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:17 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:
Pickled wrote:

Forgive me for being dumb, but how can you tell which ones you already did if it's been checked off?

Well, to find the essay I just click on the practice essay link on the progress page, scroll to the subject and find the last one checked off.

gr8scOtt!

Postby gr8scOtt! » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:38 pm

If I start one of the 100 problem mixed-sets, but only want to do 50 today, and the other 50 tomorrow, can I do that? It won't lock the assignment or anything, right? I know that if I choose to do 50/100, I'll never get those other 50 questions back...

InternationalShoe

Postby InternationalShoe » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:42 pm

kgus22 wrote:
sd5289 wrote:NY practice set: “Did the restaurant meeting violate the Open Meetings Law?”

Me: “what the fuck is that?!”

This is killing me.

I got a 44% on my last NY set. so thrilled.

The answer explanations on the NY multiple choice questions are a joke. A lot of them say "A is the correct answer," and then go on to explain why B, C, and D are incorrect without ever explaining why A is correct.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:48 pm

gr8scOtt! wrote:If I start one of the 100 problem mixed-sets, but only want to do 50 today, and the other 50 tomorrow, can I do that? It won't lock the assignment or anything, right? I know that if I choose to do 50/100, I'll never get those other 50 questions back...

Just close out of the window when you're done with the amount that you want to do. It won't check it off as complete until you complete all 100.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:17 pm

If it helps drive you less nuts, the MBE is seeking for the best answer, not necessarily the correct answer.

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:47 pm

Anyone have an easy way to remember the requirement days in civ pro ?

zot1

Postby zot1 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:50 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:Anyone have an easy way to remember the requirement days in civ pro ?

Not really, but discovery requests and appeals are all 30. Motions are usually 21 days. And jury, 14. For the MBE it has been good practice to remember this three numbers because sometimes the answer would be 20 and I know that's not right.

annapach

Postby annapach » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:55 pm

zot1 wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:Anyone have an easy way to remember the requirement days in civ pro ?

Not really, but discovery requests and appeals are all 30. Motions are usually 21 days. And jury, 14. For the MBE it has been good practice to remember this three numbers because sometimes the answer would be 20 and I know that's not right.

expert witness disclosure is 90 weirdly

zot1

Postby zot1 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:09 pm

annapach wrote:
zot1 wrote:

expert witness disclosure is 90 weirdly

Weirdly or just perfectly random for civ pro to screw up with our heads?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”