Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

sd5289

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby sd5289 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:08 pm

Is anyone else feeling like they're hitting a wall? I know two weeks out should be crunch time, but I'm having the worst time concentrating and focusing.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:15 pm

aladdinismyprince wrote:Remind me: I know it is different for every state, but generally what MBE score do we need to pass? I'm taking in a jx that's 50% MBE/50% state specific. I ask because the 70% "goal" on Themis seems overkill, but maybe I am wrong.

if you're in a 50% MBE jurisdiction, 70% is more than you need, assuming you do okay on the essays. But it's a good number to shoot for, in case you don't do okay on the essays.

Is anyone else feeling like they're hitting a wall? I know two weeks out should be crunch time, but I'm having the worst time concentrating and focusing.

My productivity has sucked for a couple of days now. Need to get it together, but it's hard.

kiwi4president

Postby kiwi4president » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:18 pm

sd5289 wrote:Is anyone else feeling like they're hitting a wall? I know two weeks out should be crunch time, but I'm having the worst time concentrating and focusing.

I'm right there with you. Couldn't pay attention at all today so I took the day off. I never thought I'd take a day off two weeks before the exam a month ago.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:19 pm

kiwi4president wrote:
sd5289 wrote:Is anyone else feeling like they're hitting a wall? I know two weeks out should be crunch time, but I'm having the worst time concentrating and focusing.

I'm right there with you. Couldn't pay attention at all today so I took the day off. I never thought I'd take a day off two weeks before the exam a month ago.

Lol I've been playing video games to relieve stress but then I just feel guilty doing anything with my time that isn't studying. Gotta remind ourselves to chill out when we need to.

Velours

Postby Velours » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:43 pm

kiwi4president wrote:

I took the day off on Monday, and I'm a few days behind (at 74% currently). I know most people don't finish the course but I still feel like I should and could if I just focus up for the next few weeks, which is just more stress. This whole process is madness.

amorsebu14

Postby amorsebu14 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:09 pm

Lubberlubber wrote:Is anyone else doing very inconsistently on the MBE mixed sets?

I'm literally doing 55, 65, 55, 65, 55 for the last 5. And the specific categories are crazy different too. For example, I usually do well in torts, but today missed all 5 torts questions in a 50 set.

Seriously having doubts about passing at this point...

YES. Yes, I am. I've made a chart to track my progress by subject area, and oh my gosh, are they all over the place. I'm beginning to accept the worst case scenario.

Anyone else here doing Washington State?

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:21 pm

Yep.

Raiden

Postby Raiden » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:13 am

Yeah, at 59% and putting off assignments...definitely hitting a wall. I really wonder if just racking up percentages is better than creating your own study schedule that doesn't revolve around the %.

healthnut

Postby healthnut » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:22 am

Raiden wrote:Yeah, at 59% and putting off assignments...definitely hitting a wall. I really wonder if just racking up percentages is better than creating your own study schedule that doesn't revolve around the %.

I have sort-of done this. I have laid out a schedule for 1-2 subjects a day for the next two weeks and then do the remaining essays for those subjects on that day. I do a practice MBE set with Themis every day and then 50 on Adaptibar throughout the day. I will run through all subjects on the last two days with one essay each (using bar essays to find an essay Themis didn't assign).

I have been submitting one essay per topic for grading (hoping it's my typical grader--he's great) to get a gist of what I'm missing/need to focus on the last two days. Meanwhile this will help me clarify all topics, yet still hit the 100%. Hopefully this will be the winning concoction! Otherwise, I'm losing it too. :| [CBX]

kateebee

Postby kateebee » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:28 am

healthnut wrote:
Raiden wrote:Yeah, at 59% and putting off assignments...definitely hitting a wall. I really wonder if just racking up percentages is better than creating your own study schedule that doesn't revolve around the %.

I have sort-of done this. I have laid out a schedule for 1-2 subjects a day for the next two weeks and then do the remaining essays for those subjects on that day. I do a practice MBE set with Themis every day and then 50 on Adaptibar throughout the day. I will run through all subjects on the last two days with one essay each (using bar essays to find an essay Themis didn't assign).

I have been submitting one essay per topic for grading (hoping it's my typical grader--he's great) to get a gist of what I'm missing/need to focus on the last two days. Meanwhile this will help me clarify all topics, yet still hit the 100%. Hopefully this will be the winning concoction! Otherwise, I'm losing it too. :| [CBX]

Hi, you win bar prep.

smalogna

Postby smalogna » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:33 am

healthnut wrote:

:shock: Holy hell

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:54 am

Um, is this a mistake?

[+] Spoiler
While negligently driving his automobile, a man crashed into an automobile driven by a woman. The man said to the woman: "I will see to it that you are reimbursed for any losses you incur as a result of the accident." The man also called a physician and told him to take care of the woman, and that he, the man, would pay the bill. If the physician discontinued treating the woman before she fully recovered and the woman brought an action against the physician for breach of contract, which of the following arguments, if any, by the physician would probably be effective in defense?

Correct answer: "The man told the physician not to treat the woman, and the physician is a private doctor with no duty to the woman."

Answer explanation: Answer choice D is correct. The woman has standing to enforce the agreement between the man and the physician as an intended beneficiary, unless a change in the man's intent causes her to only be an incidental beneficiary.

I picked up on the intended beneficiary part, but thought D couldn't possibly be it because it was the exact opposite of what happened in the fact pattern. The question didn't say which of the following, if true, would be an effective defense. Just what would be an effective defense. Wtf?

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:58 am

sd5289 wrote:Um, is this a mistake?

[+] Spoiler
While negligently driving his automobile, a man crashed into an automobile driven by a woman. The man said to the woman: "I will see to it that you are reimbursed for any losses you incur as a result of the accident." The man also called a physician and told him to take care of the woman, and that he, the man, would pay the bill. If the physician discontinued treating the woman before she fully recovered and the woman brought an action against the physician for breach of contract, which of the following arguments, if any, by the physician would probably be effective in defense?

Correct answer: "The man told the physician not to treat the woman, and the physician is a private doctor with no duty to the woman."

Answer explanation: Answer choice D is correct. The woman has standing to enforce the agreement between the man and the physician as an intended beneficiary, unless a change in the man's intent causes her to only be an incidental beneficiary.

I picked up on the intended beneficiary part, but thought D couldn't possibly be it because it was the exact opposite of what happened in the fact pattern. The question didn't say which of the following, if true, would be an effective defense. Just what would be an effective defense. Wtf?

Yeah, I came across that question too (and a bunch of others) where we're just supposed to assume that something is true with zero indication. It's kinda hard to know when to do that and when not to.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:12 pm

[+] Spoiler

Yeah, I hate this type of questions. Note that the question is which argument would be better... so the idea is that even the call would have happened after.

Anyhow, I got an email from Themis this morning that sort of made me feel a lot better. It said being in the 60%s for the MBE was okay and that their answers for the MEE are overkill. So maybe I can do this thing after all.

Pickled

Postby Pickled » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:13 pm

amorsebu14 wrote:
Lubberlubber wrote:Is anyone else doing very inconsistently on the MBE mixed sets?

I'm literally doing 55, 65, 55, 65, 55 for the last 5. And the specific categories are crazy different too. For example, I usually do well in torts, but today missed all 5 torts questions in a 50 set.

YES. Yes, I am. I've made a chart to track my progress by subject area, and oh my gosh, are they all over the place. I'm beginning to accept the worst case scenario.

Right here. Is it true WA is one of the hardest to pass?

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:15 pm

zot1 wrote:

[+] Spoiler

Yeah, I hate this type of questions. Note that the question is which argument would be better... so the idea is that even the call would have happened after.

Anyhow, I got an email from Themis this morning that sort of made me feel a lot better. It said being in the 60%s for the MBE was okay and that their answers for the MEE are overkill. So maybe I can do this thing after all.

YES I NEEDED TO HEAR THIS

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:31 pm

NY practice set: “Did the restaurant meeting violate the Open Meetings Law?”

Me: “what the fuck is that?!”

This is killing me.

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:32 pm

has anyone made any online flash cards that they can graciously share?

kgus22

Postby kgus22 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:54 pm

sd5289 wrote:NY practice set: “Did the restaurant meeting violate the Open Meetings Law?”

This is killing me.

I got a 44% on my last NY set. so thrilled.

always_raining

Postby always_raining » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:08 pm

Pickled wrote:
amorsebu14 wrote:

No. Washington is pretty similar to other states. I think it used to be harder when it was all essays and not UBE.

always_raining

Postby always_raining » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:10 pm

sd5289 wrote:NY practice set: “Did the restaurant meeting violate the Open Meetings Law?”

This is killing me.

Themis started introducing some sort of trespass I have never heard of in the MBE questions. "Trespass ab initio." At this point I ignore the answers with it in it...

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:11 pm

kgus22 wrote:

This is killing me.

I got a 44% on my last NY set. so thrilled.

48% on that one. Was thrilled that I was at least close to the goal of 50%. These questions are ridiculous.

Lubberlubber

Postby Lubberlubber » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:25 pm

zot1 wrote:

[+] Spoiler

Post this email? What do you mean answers for the MBE are overkill? Do you mean that they're intentionally written to be as confusing as possible and that on the real thing the answers will be more clear/correct?...

amorsebu14

Postby amorsebu14 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:38 pm

always_raining wrote:
Pickled wrote:
amorsebu14 wrote:

No. Washington is pretty similar to other states. I think it used to be harder when it was all essays and not UBE.

^^ Yes. That. In fact, Our weighted average, they say, for the minimum needed to pass is lower than all but 2 other UBE states. That being said, a ridiculous amount of people failed the February bar.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:41 pm

Lubberlubber wrote:
zot1 wrote:

[+] Spoiler

Post this email? What do you mean answers for the MBE are overkill? Do you mean that they're intentionally written to be as confusing as possible and that on the real thing the answers will be more clear/correct?...

Please note I said "answers for the MEE" not MBE.

Hello everyone,

Many of you may be feeling the pressure now that we are nearing the exam date. Don’t let your nerves and pressure get the best of you. Instead, use it as motivation to push forward and attain success on the exam!

At this point in the course, you should have finished (or be close to finishing) the substantive review for all testable subjects and should be simulating exams, reviewing/memorizing law and practicing essay’s, MPTs and MBE’s under timed conditions. If you have not yet finished all the lectures, your goal should be to finish the law lectures for ALL subjects asap so that you can spend as much time as possible reviewing, practicing and memorizing.

Based on my conversations with many of you over the last few days, below are a couple of things to keep in mind:

I don’t know everything yet! You will learn A LOT in the next few weeks having time for pure memorization and practice. Remember, you will not and cannot know everything but you do not need to know it all in order to pass the exam. Getting 2/3 of the points on the MEE/MPTs and 2/3 of the MBE questions correct has historically resulted in a clear pass on the exam. Therefore, focus on the “big ticket” issues (Strict Liability, Mutual Assent, Types of Tenancies etc.). The Themis MEE answers are meant to be instructional and discuss each issue thoroughly and contain much more than needed to pass the exam.

What should my MBE scores be on the Simulated Exam? You should be performing in the 60’s and most students see a 5% - 8% bump in their MBE scores between now and the bar exam. (Note: if you’re already scoring in the high 60’s or above, you may not see the same bump since your scores are already where they should be). Since most of you have never taken a full two-day exam, the main goal of the simulated exam is to help you get a better understanding of what taking a two-day exam feels like mentally and physically and is not an accurate predictor of performance on the actual exam. You still have a few weeks to fine tune!

Use the results of the Simulated Exams (and the MBE PQ option under “Course Progress”) to narrow your focus on the weaknesses in your substantive law knowledge and pay special attention to those areas moving forward.

Focus on the “quality” of review and not just “quantity”. For example, if you are behind, instead of doing 100 MBE questions, do 50 but make sure to review each question you did thoroughly and understand it. Also, if your scores are low, instead of doing MORE questions, you might want to go back and review some of the questions you got wrong under the Course Progress option.

Final Stretch - In the ‘final stretch’ you will see that you have one or two subjects to review a day, and then practice essays and mixed MBE question sets. You can customize your schedule by moving subjects around and focusing on your weak areas. If you need more time to memorize and write essays, skip the 100 question MBE sets or some of the 50 question sets or do a reduced amount of questions.

Lastly, remember to utilize your resources. Your Themis Bar Review team is here to guide you to success on exam day so please let us know if you have any questions.

Best,

Bryr Grace, Administrator

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”