Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

sd5289

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby sd5289 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:43 pm

Crushed Property MBE set #5 and got semi-crushed by Civ Pro MBE set #5.

Which is the exact opposite of where I've been on these two subjects the whole time. I can't. :lol:

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:03 pm

sd5289 wrote:Crushed Property MBE set #5 and got semi-crushed by Civ Pro MBE set #5.

Which is the exact opposite of where I've been on these two subjects the whole time. I can't. :lol:

I'm with you, I got CRUSHED on property. I might as well have just randomly guessed.

(I chalk it up to the fact that sets 5 and 6 are absurd.)

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:25 pm

Fuck, I just did Mixed MBE Set 7 and the goal was 70%. I did not make it. :(

annapach

Postby annapach » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:27 pm

Confused7 wrote:Fuck, I just did Mixed MBE Set 7 and the goal was 70%. I did not make it. :(

I've been at a 60% plateau on the mixed sets. I did 4 sets of 50 today and i got 60% every time :x

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:30 pm

annapach wrote:
Confused7 wrote:Fuck, I just did Mixed MBE Set 7 and the goal was 70%. I did not make it. :(

I've been at a 60% plateau on the mixed sets. I did 4 sets of 50 today and i got 60% every time :x

How were you able to do 200 questions in one day? :shock: That's like the entire test. I'm impressed that you kept up your streak with 4 sets! I get awful mental fatigue after just 1 set.

annapach

Postby annapach » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:50 pm

Confused7 wrote:
annapach wrote:

How were you able to do 200 questions in one day? :shock: That's like the entire test. I'm impressed that you kept up your streak with 4 sets! I get awful mental fatigue after just 1 set.

I'm trying to desensitize myself!

A friend who took the bar last year told me that test day actually feels short because you're so used to putting in more than 6 hour days

zot1

Postby zot1 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:10 am

adevine39 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
adevine39 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
IamIn wrote:
adevine39 wrote:I've noticed a minor but significant bump in my MBE PQ's since the mock exam this past Wednesday. Maybe my rage at the guy in the explanation videos was a little unfounded, because something is working.

I experienced the same.. I think the lectures helped me because that guy made the whole thing sound so easy, so I'm not intimidated by the MBE anymore. Thus, a confidence boost led to better results. Hope it doesn't go away in two weeks

I've been going down since :shock:

Maybe study fatigue? How much have you been putting in every day? There was a point a couple weeks ago that I scored 44% and 48% on back to back PQ sets, so I took a day off and didn't even look at anything law related, then came back and my scores went to the low to mid sixties where they had been.

Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that I've been feeling under the weather yesterday and today. I took most of the morning off, but I've forced myself to work all afternoon. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable taking a whole day off this late in the game.

That stinks, man. Someone I work with got sick and I have been avoiding them as much as possible because the last thing I want to do is get sick at this point. Feel better!

Thanks, bro.

I just got a 70% on my Evidence #5. At first I was happy, but then I realized that it comes at the end of a gruesome day so not sure that illness can explain the previous lower scores. Maybe they were just really difficult sets.

I'm just ready to call it a night. Stay away from sick people.

somuchbooty

Postby somuchbooty » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:37 am

Is anyone else stopping right when they get to 75%? I can't do themis anymore.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:43 am

somuchbooty wrote:Is anyone else stopping right when they get to 75%? I can't do themis anymore.

If only!

I don't think I would stop even if I were doing consistent 80s, but maybe I wouldn't do as much as my schedule requires. I personally get a little rusty answering questions after taking a break, so that's why I wouldn't do it.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:55 am

somuchbooty wrote:Is anyone else stopping right when they get to 75%? I can't do themis anymore.

I've pretty much abandoned the study schedule and am just trying to review and do practice essays/questions on each subject. Sometimes I do the stuff Themis tells me to if it aligns with my plan for the day.

No idea if this is gonna work out but the directed study schedule for the last few weeks doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason.

Tripl3Espresso

Postby Tripl3Espresso » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:00 am

Yes, as soon as I hit 75% on their schedule I started doing my own thing. Memorizing rule statements for the essays is more important at this point.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:01 am

Pleasye wrote:

I've pretty much abandoned the study schedule and am just trying to review and do practice essays/questions on each subject. Sometimes I do the stuff Themis tells me to if it aligns with my plan for the day.

No idea if this is gonna work out but the directed study schedule for the last few weeks doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason.

The directed study for the last 2 weeks is absurd. "REVIEW ALL MBE TOPICS" or "REVIEW ALL NY DISTINCTIONS." No way in hell I'll have time for that on a single day. I'm just going to review 2-3 topics per day and do 1-2 sets of the practice questions and the essays every day.

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:38 am

Pleasye wrote:

This is pretty much what I'm doing. As many MBE q's as possible. Throw in maybe 3/4 outlined PT's. DO or outline most of the essays'

hawkhill

Postby hawkhill » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:06 am

Can anyone give me a basic explanation differentiating contract modification from accord and satisfaction?

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:11 am

hawkhill wrote:Can anyone give me a basic explanation differentiating contract modification from accord and satisfaction?

To my understanding:

With accord and satisfaction, alternative performance is accepted and duties are immediately satisfied. Contract performance is complete

Modification also changes duties under the K but doesn't complete the contract. Parties still must perform those duties

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:26 am

hawkhill wrote:Can anyone give me a basic explanation differentiating contract modification from accord and satisfaction?

I asked this a while ago to a themis person and they gave a great response:
"I think the easiest way to think of it is that a modification modifies or changes the terms of a contract, while an accord is a new agreement to accept some different kind of performance in lieu of what was originally agreed upon. Another way to look at is that a modification swaps out terms in the contract. So there is just one contract still. It just changed out so term. While an accord is a separate agreement which discharges the first contract. However, remember that the accord alone does not discharge the prior contract. It merely suspends the right to enforce it in accordance with the terms of the accord contract. Satisfaction is the performance of the accord agreement. Its effect is to discharge not only the original contract but also the accord contract as well. I hope this helps! "

Also, wow the dude doing the simulated MBE answers is such a dick. "answer X is CLEARLY right had you known this obscure 1 sentence rule in your outline".

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:50 am

I just hit 70% yesterday, and will likely continue doing what I've been doing, which is focusing more on memorizing and reviewing, while doing MBE PQ's and essay PQ's. With two weeks to go, it feels like it's all about a) keeping ourselves in shape, and b) memorizing as much as possible. I know that during the MBE simulation, the questions I got wrong or guessed on were the questions that I just couldn't quite remember the exact rule.

Also, the NY multiple choice questions are just ridiculous.

Confused7

Postby Confused7 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:57 am

Wait, so is Themis just grading our MPT tomorrow? Not even the essays?

sp1kedrat

Postby sp1kedrat » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:01 am

sd5289 wrote:

I just hit 70% yesterday, and will likely continue doing what I've been doing, which is focusing more on memorizing and reviewing, while doing MBE PQ's and essay PQ's. With two weeks to go, it feels like it's all about a) keeping ourselves in shape, and b) memorizing as much as possible. I know that during the MBE simulation, the questions I got wrong or guessed on were the questions that I just couldn't quite remember the exact rule.

Seriously. I cannot get over 45% on those

eloise16

Postby eloise16 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:16 am

paulshortys10 wrote:

"I think the easiest way to think of it is that a modification modifies or changes the terms of a contract, while an accord is a new agreement to accept some different kind of performance in lieu of what was originally agreed upon. Another way to look at is that a modification swaps out terms in the contract. So there is just one contract still. It just changed out so term. While an accord is a separate agreement which discharges the first contract. However, remember that the accord alone does not discharge the prior contract. It merely suspends the right to enforce it in accordance with the terms of the accord contract. Satisfaction is the performance of the accord agreement. Its effect is to discharge not only the original contract but also the accord contract as well. I hope this helps! "

Also, wow the dude doing the simulated MBE answers is such a dick. "answer X is CLEARLY right had you known this obscure 1 sentence rule in your outline".

THIS WAS SO HELPFUL!!!! Seriously have been struggling with this since day 1. Thank you thank you thank you!

eloise16

Postby eloise16 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:19 am

sd5289 wrote:

Not stopping until the exam. I would kick myself forever if I did and then didn't pass.

How are you all memorizing the rule statements? Are you physically writing them out by hand repeatedly? Or just memorizing them in your head? I'm seriously struggling with getting my state specific rules to stick in a detailed way.

hawkhill

Postby hawkhill » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:21 am

eloise16 wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:

THIS WAS SO HELPFUL!!!! Seriously have been struggling with this since day 1. Thank you thank you thank you!

Agreed, thank you for the help!

smalogna

Postby smalogna » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:28 am

Confused7 wrote:Wait, so is Themis just grading our MPT tomorrow? Not even the essays?

I don't think Themis is grading any of it. Maybe your jurisdiction is grading the MPT but NY isn't

smalogna

Postby smalogna » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:28 am

Two straight weeks of memorizing rule statements. Go!

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:43 am

eloise16 wrote:
sd5289 wrote:

Not stopping until the exam. I would kick myself forever if I did and then didn't pass.

How are you all memorizing the rule statements? Are you physically writing them out by hand repeatedly? Or just memorizing them in your head? I'm seriously struggling with getting my state specific rules to stick in a detailed way.

I'm an outliner, and always have been, so that's what I'm doing right now. It's fairly similar to everyone writing out the rule statements. As for state distinctions, I'm memorizing the MBE rules and just trying to remember that for the "cross over" subjects (K's, Torts, etc) that for a particular rule area, say partial performance in MBE world vs NY, that NY says blah blah blah...

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”