Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Nelson

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Nelson » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:44 pm

somuchbooty wrote:Just a con law question that is bugging me...

[+] Spoiler
A state law provided that before an abortion may be performed a woman must (a) have a consultation with a physician, who should try to persuade the woman to have her baby, and (b) wait another 24 hours before seeking an abortion. A woman in the middle of her first trimester of pregnancy challenges the constitutionality of the law.

Would a court be likely to strike down this law?

A: No, because the state’s purpose is not to hinder women’s right to choose abortion, but merely to persuade women to choose birth and to ensure that their decisions are deliberate.

I don't know why, but the fact the doctors are obligated to attempt to persuade (read manipulate) women into not getting an abortion seems like an undue burden.

I think the only way to learn these abortion ones is just memorize what they can do and can't do. I don't think the bar examiners test "new" restrictions that courts haven't already addressed because "undue burden" is impossible to apply.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:45 pm

milesdavisjd wrote:Am I the ONLY person that's still getting crappy scores for the MBE questions and hasn't moved on to the mixed sets yet? I'm in IL, and about a week 1/2 behind, but any confirmation that I don't suck entirely would be lovely motivation. Also - if you're behind, are you going to do the live MBE and IEE sessions? Wondering if it will kill my confidence or if it's worthwhile to push myself appropriately to work a little harder.

Bump. I too want to know how people feel about this because I just don't know if I should kill myself today and tomorrow trying to get caught up...

somuchbooty

Postby somuchbooty » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:51 pm

zot1 wrote:
milesdavisjd wrote:Am I the ONLY person that's still getting crappy scores for the MBE questions and hasn't moved on to the mixed sets yet? I'm in IL, and about a week 1/2 behind, but any confirmation that I don't suck entirely would be lovely motivation. Also - if you're behind, are you going to do the live MBE and IEE sessions? Wondering if it will kill my confidence or if it's worthwhile to push myself appropriately to work a little harder.

Bump. I too want to know how people feel about this because I just don't know if I should kill myself today and tomorrow trying to get caught up...

I'm way behind but I'm going to do it to see how my brain handles question after question after question instead of the relaxed pace I usually have for MBE's.

At the worst, it'll be a good practice on how to not get frustrated during the real test when you don't know something.

somuchbooty

Postby somuchbooty » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:52 pm

Pleasye wrote:
somuchbooty wrote:Just a con law question that is bugging me...

[+] Spoiler
A state law provided that before an abortion may be performed a woman must (a) have a consultation with a physician, who should try to persuade the woman to have her baby, and (b) wait another 24 hours before seeking an abortion. A woman in the middle of her first trimester of pregnancy challenges the constitutionality of the law.

Would a court be likely to strike down this law?

A: No, because the state’s purpose is not to hinder women’s right to choose abortion, but merely to persuade women to choose birth and to ensure that their decisions are deliberate.

I don't know why, but the fact the doctors are obligated to attempt to persuade (read manipulate) women into not getting an abortion seems like an undue burden.

Ha yeah, welcome to the law of abortion. But in all seriousness, the court has pretty much acknowledged that the state interest in abortion is to preserve life, and thus, they are allowed to do things with the express purpose of dissuading women from having abortions. Consultations, pamphlets, showing women pics of dead babies, 24 hour waiting periods. All of that has been deemed not to be an undue burden (even though it totally is). Just memorize the list of stuff that has been deemed okay and not okay (the only thing I can think of that has been not okay is making a woman get her husband's permission) and don't try to think reasonably about it because it's just not.

thanks all, yeah, I better just remember what is cool and what isn't, because notifying your spouse seems WAY more legit than having a doctor brow beat you about what a terrible person you are. Both wrong, but the notifying spouse thing at least makes a tiny bit of sense in my mind.

NonJuris

Postby NonJuris » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:06 pm

Last edited by NonJuris on Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FloRida15

Postby FloRida15 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:48 pm

MrMustache wrote:
WalnutSurprise wrote:After doing well on the first graded essay and getting some substantive criticism, I have since gotten 60s on each and there has been minimal (at best) feedback from my grader other than "no this is what the sample answer says." This is frustrating because compared to the sample answers I should have scored significantly better on all but one of them. At this point I'm getting kind of discouraged, and I don't see the point in submitting them for this dude to just give me a 60 and paste stuff from the sample answer as "comments." Anyone else having a similar experience with their grader?

Having somewhat opposite experience -- getting in the 40's on my FL essays (out of 100), but average is between 23 and 33. Is everyone going to fail?? I don't see the sense in grading so hard that you have no idea how your answer would really score on the exam. Will my essays pass? Will they fail?? anyone???

eloise16

Postby eloise16 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:52 pm

somuchbooty wrote:
zot1 wrote:

I'm way behind but I'm going to do it to see how my brain handles question after question after question instead of the relaxed pace I usually have for MBE's.

At the worst, it'll be a good practice on how to not get frustrated during the real test when you don't know something.

I'll be doing the Simulated MBE session but I think I'm going to wait on the Simulated Essay Exam. I don't think I'll get as much out of it if I'm not familiar enough with the material.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:37 pm

eloise16 wrote:
somuchbooty wrote:
zot1 wrote:

I'll be doing the Simulated MBE session but I think I'm going to wait on the Simulated Essay Exam. I don't think I'll get as much out of it if I'm not familiar enough with the material.

Yeah, I'm still not sure. Part of me thinks that I don't have a good handle on the pure essay subjects, so I'm leaning towards skipping. But I also wonder whether my current level mastery is just fine since this is just meant to be another practice session.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:11 pm

IamIn wrote:
northwood wrote:
zor wrote:Those of us taking the bar on a laptop--i.e. NY or anywhere else you have to buy ExamSoft--do you know if we do the multiple choice sections online as well? Or do we get physical scantrons to bubble in for that? And do we get paper test booklets to mark up or do we do everything on the screen?

Basically, since I want to simulate the actual exam MBE, I'm trying to figure out if I should do Wednesday's simulated MBE on paper or on the computer.

When I took the bar in July 2014, a computer was allowed only for the essays.. NYMC and the MBE were all done on scantron

Does ExamSoft allow to go back to previous essay answers and make changes?

If I remember correctly you get three tabs ( one for each essay) each session. You can write the essays in whatever order you want, just be sure to do one essay per tab ( and label them). Likewise you can hop around as often as you want in your 3 hour window. Just be sure to stop typing the moment they yell time.

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:24 pm

kateebee wrote:To whomever asked about Commercial Law 17 videos... if it makes you feel any better, they are all under 20 minutes and most are under 10. I just spent the afternoon breezing through them at 2x, but I am still not sure if it was a good use of my time or not. If you took Commercial Law, it's probably not that useful.

Just blasted through these. At least they're entertaining. The lecturer is basically a younger version of the torts guys who keeps telling you to DIAL IN Y'ALL.

lost in translation

Postby lost in translation » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:43 pm

Hi

Here is a pedantic but very important question for exam day..

It's pencils for multiple choice yeah? So are we allowed to take erasers in? Anyone know for sure? Obviously if we can mark an answer and rub it out later that would be preferable. I'm assuming this is the case, but I just read someone's else said that they had their eraser confiscated - not sure what state that was in.

I'm expecting some kind of email from the examiners about what we can take in - does anyone know about this?

Cheers and thanks

milesdavisjd

Postby milesdavisjd » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:56 pm

zot1 wrote:
eloise16 wrote:
somuchbooty wrote:
zot1 wrote:

Yeah, I'm still not sure. Part of me thinks that I don't have a good handle on the pure essay subjects, so I'm leaning towards skipping. But I also wonder whether my current level mastery is just fine since this is just meant to be another practice session.

I ended up calling the Themis advisor today to discuss. She told me to wait until I had completed all of the prerequisites for the simulated MBE and Essay Exams (that includes doing ALL of the work assigned up until the first two mixed MBE sets). So basically, I'm going spend 15 hours a day over the next week so I can take the simulated MBE on my own, a week late. But I think that's a good approach. I do get a lot of fatigue/mistakes towards the end of the 34 question MBE sets, so this will be good conditioning to get ready for the test. Then hopefully I can slow down the pace a little bit until the test.

adevine39

Postby adevine39 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:58 pm

Confused7 wrote:Anyone else getting owned by the NY Mixed sets or is it just me? :(

Not just you. Those things are stupid picky and are worded in such a way as to make you have to pick between two shitty options to get to the "best" answer.

kgus22

Postby kgus22 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:27 pm

any NYer's do the Torts essay about the camp yet?

[+] Spoiler
how do they expect that long of an answer in 40 minutes? And I didn't even get that they wanted the SOL's in the first question... let's just say I missed a lot on that essay. I did a wills one earlier and got almost all of it right, this one was way harder in comparison. I wonder which one is more representative?

zor

Postby zor » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:44 pm

misterjames wrote:
zor wrote:I am obviously way behind but oh my GOD I do not know if I can watch this NY Practice/CPLR guy. He repeats everything twice, he repeats everything twice. I AM LOSING IT, I AM LOSING IT.

yes holy shit, at first i wasn't sure but by the 4th chapter i realized he was literally saying every point twice

The only thing worse than listening to this man repeat himself (repeat himself) is the realization that I was supposed to learn something over those 14 lectures.

NY Practice is INSANE. There isn't even an essay workshop on which parts of it are important. How on earth am I supposed to remember all this??? There's more info here than the entire MBE...

somuchbooty

Postby somuchbooty » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:55 pm

Question: If you registered your laptop already with Exam Soft, can you switch to have another laptop registered? I've been worrying about my computer lately, it is a little bit old and I'm starting to think I'd rather just buy new and not have to worry about it screwing me over. Or is it too late for that somehow? Also, how the hell do I learn how to use Exam Soft? It seems hard to use.

Lilly76

Postby Lilly76 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:58 pm

somuchbooty wrote:Question: If you registered your laptop already with Exam Soft, can you switch to have another laptop registered? I've been worrying about my computer lately, it is a little bit old and I'm starting to think I'd rather just buy new and not have to worry about it screwing me over. Or is it too late for that somehow? Also, how the hell do I learn how to use Exam Soft? It seems hard to use.

I think there's a $50 fee if you want to download ExamSoft on another laptop after going thru the registration process.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:22 am

somuchbooty wrote: Also, how the hell do I learn how to use Exam Soft? It seems hard to use.

Fuck I still have to install exam soft. It's not hard to use though, they have that mock exam you have to submit to register so you should be able to play around with it a bit and get familiar.

Raiden

Postby Raiden » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:20 am

Ugh, only at 49% and I have to go through lectures on Corporation, agency, partnership, marital property, and professional responsibility...I feel behind.

somuchbooty

Postby somuchbooty » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:59 am

Raiden wrote:Ugh, only at 49% and I have to go through lectures on Corporation, agency, partnership, marital property, and professional responsibility...I feel behind.

44.3% here... we won't have lives for the next 4 weeks. It's ok.

henry flower

Postby henry flower » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:35 am

somuchbooty wrote:
Raiden wrote:Ugh, only at 49% and I have to go through lectures on Corporation, agency, partnership, marital property, and professional responsibility...I feel behind.

44.3% here... we won't have lives for the next 4 weeks. It's ok.

I just crossed the 50% threshold. Yesterday was my birthday, and I spent the majority of it boning up on Family Law. It was sad.

Still, although I want to hit all of the substantive topics (I have Commercial Paper, Secured Transactions, and Advanced Sales left, I think), I'm not concerned with my Themis percentages. Pretty early on, I abandoned all hope of meeting my %-task goals, and I remained convinced that it was a good decision. Instead of checking stuff off, I can actually mainly focus on areas that I'm actually having problems with, like time-management on my essays/MPT.

So, although I am not overly concerned with my progress level, I too will not have any life at all until this is over. Also, this test is stupid.

henry flower

Postby henry flower » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:46 am

So... when I'm doing my MPT in ExamSoft, will I be able to open up a separate window for my notes and outline? I just tried my first MPT doing all of the planning and writing in one window, and it effing killed me.

I'm in Maryland and (I think) we do an MPT and three 25-minute state-specific essays in the first 3-hour portion. Does that I mean I'll be able to have four windows going throughout the exam? If so, I guess I can just erase my MPT notes/outline when I move on to the other essays. And once I DL ExamSoft, will I be able to fiddle with it pre-exam to see if it can do these types of things?

Also, this question is a few degrees dumber, but the MPT is exclusively on paper day-of-exam, right? It would be nice if we could get some copy-and-paste action from the actual text of the file/library, but I suppose that's impossible.

kateebee

Postby kateebee » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:51 am

What is the deal with Advanced Sales? The material is the same as Contracts....

BearLaw

Postby BearLaw » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:29 am

kateebee wrote:What is the deal with Advanced Sales? The material is the same as Contracts....

Its just focused UCC stuff. A lot of it is also covered in Ks, but there are a few UCC specific things that are strange.

Ahyis

Postby Ahyis » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:37 am

Can't remember where the original post was (few pages back maybe) but someone mentioned REPEAT QUESTIONS in MBE/State MC. I recently did a set of NYMC, and got 6 repeated questions...needless to say, I got them right this time around, but I feel like it messed with my sense of how I really did on that set.

I asked Themis about it and got this response: "The questions you receive start off with questions you have not answered. After you have answered every question you will then receive all the questions you answered incorrectly. Finally, once every question is answered correctly you will then receive questions you answered correctly again, kind of like flashcards."

So basically, w'ere going to start seeing all the questions we got wrong show up again? If you're like me, and when you get something wrong you write it into your outline or whatever, I think I'm suddenly going to be unfairly getting a lot of upcoming questions right...

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”