Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

lost in translation

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby lost in translation » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:20 am

For me at the moment it is not a question of learning the law.. It's trying to actually FIND the law in a couple of the particularly massive outlines.
Civ Pro in particular is horrendous. A table/chart here or there wouldn't have gone amiss :roll:

On that note, here is a useful little table from a public site on you tube. I take no responsibility for accuracy:). The questions with explanations on civ pro elsewhere on his site aren't bad either. You have to dig into the site for them.

http://www.nathenson.org/courses/civpro ... e-motions/

lost in translation

Postby lost in translation » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:45 am

somuchbooty wrote:Well, I just bombed my first evidence MBE session. Please reassure me with similar experiences and gradual improvement. There were very few questions that had more than 50% accurate rates looking at the percentages, so I'm hoping this is normal.

I'm the same as you.

Take heart.

I suck less at evidence after watching this hearsay vid. I posted the link before, but just in case here it is again (sorry all if thats bad board manners). Best tip I got from it that made life easier - "who is objecting to the statement being admitted?... if it is the same person who made it ...is it opposing party statement?".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNeFsjTfs2s

zot1

Postby zot1 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:43 pm

Just got internet, woo hoo! My schedule is at 2x. Not too bad--really thought it would be worse. Apparently this week is a slow week (per Themis email), so good week to catch up. No 4th of July parties for me though...

somuchbooty

Postby somuchbooty » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:49 pm

zot1 wrote:Just got internet, woo hoo! My schedule is at 2x. Not too bad--really thought it would be worse. Apparently this week is a slow week (per Themis email), so good week to catch up. No 4th of July parties for me though...

lol i feel ya, its telling me 2.6% per day right now but then grants me July 4th off. Yeah, I'm not taking July 4th off.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:57 pm

somuchbooty wrote:
zot1 wrote:Just got internet, woo hoo! My schedule is at 2x. Not too bad--really thought it would be worse. Apparently this week is a slow week (per Themis email), so good week to catch up. No 4th of July parties for me though...

lol i feel ya, its telling me 2.6% per day right now but then grants me July 4th off. Yeah, I'm not taking July 4th off.

I'll just make hot dogs for dinner and eat them while I watch lectures and cry. Yeah, good plan.

paulshortys10

Postby paulshortys10 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:09 pm

milesdavisjd wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:Can anyone teach me Supplemental Jurisdiction? I know that its a way of circumventing the SMJ requirements, but I am having trouble learning exactly when it applies and to which parties claims/joinders, and whether diversity need not be broken.

Ok, doing this because I think it will be helpful for me to actually write this out.

Federal Courts must have Subject Matter Jurisdiction (power to decide the matter) and Personal Jurisdiction (power over the parties to the suit). When determining if the court has SMJ, the Predominate Claim must fall under two categories:
1. Federal Question - a claim that arises under federal law.
2. Diversity - (1) No single plaintiff may be a citizen of the same state as any single defendant at the time the lawsuit is filed and (2) the amount in controversy exceeds $75,000 (AIC >$75k).

When there are multiple claims in the dispute, supplemental jurisdiction is the policy that allows a federal court to decide a legal question normally tried in state courts. Claims that normally fall under state jurisdiction must share a common nucleus of operative fact (CNOF) with the Predominate Claim to be litigated in federal court.

If the Predominate Claim is based on a Federal Question, then diversity does not matter. This applies to any new parties, claims, anything.

However, when Predominate Claim is based on federal SMJ due to Diversity (instead of a Federal Question), then, if using supplemental jurisdiction to bring in additional claims or parties, diversity must be maintained when adding new parties or claims to the suit (otherwise it could be litigated in state court).

Below are the requirements to maintain Diversity, so that Supplemental Jurisdiction can still be used to bring in the new claim/party.

Permissive Joinder: CNOF + Diversity (AIC new party >$75k not required)
Compulsory Joinder: CNOF + Diversity (AIC new party >$75k not required) Note: Supplemental jurisdiction in this matter is tricky. The court looks at a variety of factors, like whether the party was intentionally originally left out of the claim so the case could be brought in federal court.
Counterclaims: CNOF + Diversity, (AIC for new claim >$75k not required)
Cross Claims: CNOF (No AIC, No Diversity needed)
Intervenors: CNOF + Diversity
Interpleaders: CNOF + Diversity
Federal Statutory Interpleaders: CNOF + Diversity (between the Stakeholder and ANY defendant) + AIC > $500

Basically, if the jurisdictional basis for the Predominate Claim is Diversity, adding additional parties or claims using supplemental jurisdiction must not destroy diversity, with the exception of cross claims and sometimes compulsory joinders.

Thanks Bro. This is exactly what I was looking for.

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:23 pm

Themis wants me to do two essays, a CPT, and read a 70 page outline. :lol: :lol: :lol:

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:12 pm

zot1 wrote:Three days off and counting. I'll still pass, right?

I've taken a total of 3 days off (1 for graduation, 1 for pride, and 1 because I wasn't feeling well). I think it's pretty much impossible to do this every day for 10 weeks straight.

always_raining

Postby always_raining » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:25 pm

sd5289 wrote:

I've taken a total of 3 days off (1 for graduation, 1 for pride, and 1 because I wasn't feeling well). I think it's pretty much impossible to do this every day for 10 weeks straight.

I am so burned out at this point. I am taking 2 days off this weekend. There's no way I can do this everyday for so long and stay alert/productive. We need breaks!

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:29 pm

zor wrote:I guess I will be the lone dissenter and say that my grader is actually great. She gives me tons of very specific comments and even tracks my improvement on certain things (like structure or style) from essay to essay.

My grader is also good. And I haven't turned an essay in more than 2 days late (that Milestone #2 though...I'll aim for doing it before the actual MBE simulation, lol), so I think there are some good graders out there. They just seem to be the minority, which is unfortunate.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:30 pm

always_raining wrote:
sd5289 wrote:

I am so burned out at this point. I am taking 2 days off this weekend. There's no way I can do this everyday for so long and stay alert/productive. We need breaks!

Yeah, I actually found that I performed better on the practice MBE sets on Monday after taking Sunday off for pride. Felt more alert, but I'm already back in the bar study funk two days later. I was considering studying through the 4th of July, but maybe not. We'll see how much I can get done by Friday.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:31 pm

always_raining wrote:
sd5289 wrote:

It ended up being 5 days. The thing is that I've taking days off before but not consecutively. I think this way, I risked forgetting some stuff, but there was nothing I could do about it since it was completely involuntary.

I spoke to many successful bar takers who used Themis and the majority of them took Sundays off. I originally wanted to do that, but realized that I prefer to work every day if that means I won't work the entire day. So breaks are definitely something you can do. After all, most people only finish like 85% of the course. Though I know we're all gunning to 100% (haha!)

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:40 pm

Yeah, I feel the same about breaks, I don't think I could handle the stress of taking a whole day off at this point. Instead, I work every day but make sure I get 7-8 hours sleep, take a nice long walk in the evening, spend a little bit of quality time with people.

MrBriggs360

Postby MrBriggs360 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:47 pm

zot1 wrote: 85% of the course. Though I know we're all gunning to 100% (haha!)

Anecdotally, I've heard more along the lines of 75%–80%. Thankfully, I'm currently on pace to hit 98–100%, but I've been doing 10–12 hour days almost every day. (Took 2 complete days off in the last 4 weeks.)

EDIT: Also, I've been told that Themis grants 1% for completing the "Take the 4th of July Off" assignment. But last year, apparently it screwed something up with the percentages and people weren't getting any % credit for stuff they completed the next day, so I'm not sure if the "gift" was intentional or not.
Last edited by MrBriggs360 on Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:48 pm

The NY Corp's guy is literally just reading the handout verbatim (generally 2x on each point).

This is killing me.

MrBriggs360

Postby MrBriggs360 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:49 pm

sd5289 wrote:The NY Corp's guy is literally just reading the handout verbatim (generally 2x on each point).

This is killing me.

Going through the exact same thing. On the plus side, I'm actually learning the material. On the negative side, this is the most boring thing I think I've ever sat through in my life. FINALLY up to lecture #9, so two more to go. Started at 11AM EST.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:53 pm

MrBriggs360 wrote:
sd5289 wrote:The NY Corp's guy is literally just reading the handout verbatim (generally 2x on each point).

This is killing me.

Going through the exact same thing. On the plus side, I'm actually learning the material. On the negative side, this is the most boring thing I think I've ever sat through in my life. FINALLY up to lecture #9, so two more to go. Started at 11AM EST.

I'm on #6, started around noon, but took a lunch break shortly after I started. I'm struggling not to fall asleep.

collegewriter

Postby collegewriter » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:06 pm

zot1 wrote:
somuchbooty wrote:

I'll just make hot dogs for dinner and eat them while I watch lectures and cry. Yeah, good plan.

^This hahahahha.

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:15 pm

Is anyone else having trouble organizing corp/partnership/agency essays? Themis's model answers seem to be like 3/4 rule statements.

texlaw

Postby texlaw » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:29 pm

Just finished all the lectures. I stayed up to date on the lectures at the expense of falling way behind on the MBEs (only ~500 completed so far) and essays. If I could start bar review over again, I think I would have done this the other way around.

texlaw

Postby texlaw » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:30 pm

This is killing me.

I had to sit through someone reading straight through the handout without providing examples for wills and trusts and guardianship (all taught by the same guy). That's three essay questions I'll surely fail.

MrBriggs360

Postby MrBriggs360 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:38 pm

texlaw wrote:Just finished all the lectures. I stayed up to date on the lectures at the expense of falling way behind on the MBEs (only ~500 completed so far) and essays. If I could start bar review over again, I think I would have done this the other way around.

I did the exact same thing and all I have left is N.Y. Practice, but I have no problem with my choice. I've done all outlines, all lectures, all workshops, 6 practice essays, 2 MBE's and 3 graded essays. The reason I'm glad I did this is that now I can spend the next 3 1/2 weeks doing nothing but outlining, drilling, practicing questions, MBE's and essays. I'd rather do the practical stuff closer to the exam, that way it should be fresh in my mind. (Hopefully)

misterjames

Postby misterjames » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:54 pm

Themis suggests 1.9% for the day. I do all 6 of the assigned tasks including 8 lectures, 1 review session, 1 practice essay, and a graded MPT, and it's only 1.1%. honestly just fuck off Themis.

MrBriggs360

Postby MrBriggs360 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:08 pm

This is killing me.

Annnnd all 11 lectures + the outline are only worth .9%.

annapach

Postby annapach » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:19 pm

Just putting it out there that I got 8/10 on the NCBE practice civ pro questions without even peeking at my notes. For the Themis civ pro questions sometimes i have to go beyond my notes, beyond the long outlines, deep into google, and I STILL get them wrong. I have a feeling they are complete BS and it kind of bothers me that they made them so obscure. What good does that really do us?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”