Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

smalogna

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby smalogna » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:52 am

MrBriggs360 wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
smalogna wrote:The list of NY actions for statute of limitations :shock: 10 years: these 5 types of actions, 7 years: these 10 types of actions, 6 years: these 5 types of actions....and so on. I might just skip that essay on the exam.

Um, yeah...

I have no idea what to even do with all of this.

I had to memorize all of the statutes of limitations for my New York Practice class. Are you just talking about the standard SoLs for any actions? If so, there is a million of them but if you read it enough times they'll stick.

If you read it enough times...it's gonna take me hundreds of readings to make all of these SoLs stick. Why didn't I just take Massachusetts??? Nope had to be an overachiever and add NY.

habz

Postby habz » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:32 am

smalogna wrote:
MrBriggs360 wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
smalogna wrote:The list of NY actions for statute of limitations :shock: 10 years: these 5 types of actions, 7 years: these 10 types of actions, 6 years: these 5 types of actions....and so on. I might just skip that essay on the exam.

Um, yeah...

I have no idea what to even do with all of this.

I had to memorize all of the statutes of limitations for my New York Practice class. Are you just talking about the standard SoLs for any actions? If so, there is a million of them but if you read it enough times they'll stick.

If you read it enough times...it's gonna take me hundreds of readings to make all of these SoLs stick. Why didn't I just take Massachusetts??? Nope had to be an overachiever and add NY.

Its not just the SOL's, if we're seriously expected to remember every deadline that there is in those lectures I am totally and completely screwed. It's hard enough to remember how many days you have to to do anything for federal

milesdavisjd

Postby milesdavisjd » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:53 am

How is everyone handling the job search thing and studying for the Bar? I have a couple of interviews in July, but am wondering if I'd just be better off just asking to move them out until AFTER the exam.

milesdavisjd

Postby milesdavisjd » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:06 am

Also, if anyone is looking for a "fun" way to study, "The Watcher" case is actually really interesting. An anonymous stalker is harassing a family that recently purchased a home, saying that "he's been the watcher of the home for years, as his father, and grandfather". He makes some pretty menacing/creepy threats, including claiming that he has a right to be in the house. The Watcher "ran with the land" - the previous owners knew about him (and he's presumably the reason they sold the house) but didn't disclose him to the new owners. It's a real application of everything we're studying for the MBE. It took me about 10 minutes to read, so it's ideal for a break but won't take up too much time.

I suggest reading in this order:

1. http://gawker.com/couple-flees-1-3-mill ... 1713646299

2. http://documents.gawker.com/the-watcher ... 1713657328
Last edited by milesdavisjd on Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:08 am

smalogna wrote:If you read it enough times...it's gonna take me hundreds of readings to make all of these SoLs stick. Why didn't I just take Massachusetts??? Nope had to be an overachiever and add NY.

I'll be practicing in NY, so I have no choice. Glad I wasn't an idiot and add NJ to this mess.

At first I was like "oh yeah, I know the NY court system this isn't so bad..." Then I got to the SOL mess and just went: :shock:

lilypad144

Postby lilypad144 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:21 am

milesdavisjd wrote:How is everyone handling the job search thing and studying for the Bar? I have a couple of interviews in July, but am wondering if I'd just be better off just asking to move them out until AFTER the exam.

Honestly, it's a struggle. I have had four interviews this month because I went kind of insane with the apps and it is really distracting. You have to prepare for the interview well, which keeps you from being able to focus and then after the interview you're all worked up and shit hahah. I stopped applying. After this next interview tomorrow, I'm done. I think I will have a follow-up interview for a clerkship in a couple of weeks but I'm not applying for anything new. On one hand, you really are ahead of the competition because once the bar exam passes, these employers are going to be FLOODED with resumes. But on the other hand, it really isn't worth getting totally and completely distracted while you have to focus.

MrBriggs360

Postby MrBriggs360 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:23 am

lilypad144 wrote:
milesdavisjd wrote:How is everyone handling the job search thing and studying for the Bar? I have a couple of interviews in July, but am wondering if I'd just be better off just asking to move them out until AFTER the exam.

Honestly, it's a struggle. I have had four interviews this month because I went kind of insane with the apps and it is really distracting. You have to prepare for the interview well, which keeps you from being able to focus and then after the interview you're all worked up and shit hahah. I stopped applying. After this next interview tomorrow, I'm done. I think I will have a follow-up interview for a clerkship in a couple of weeks but I'm not applying for anything new. On one hand, you really are ahead of the competition because once the bar exam passes, these employers are going to be FLOODED with resumes. But on the other hand, it really isn't worth getting totally and completely distracted while you have to focus.

Just bombed Property Set 4 with a 65%. :?

zot1

Postby zot1 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:24 am

I've gotten mixed comments when I asked about this to alumni for myself. Some said, keep at it because you'll be happy if you not only pass the bar, but also have a job waiting. Some others said it was okay to put off the search because a lot of the jobs I could interview over the summer would probably only hired me with the condition that I pass the bar the first try around.

So with those two opinions in mind, I would factor in the kind of jobs they are (how many chances you get at the bar), whether they're jobs you want (and might not be available later), and if you feel confident taking some hard days where you interview, then put it aside, then come back to the grind.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:24 am

MrBriggs360 wrote:
lilypad144 wrote:

That's a passing score, so I wouldn't say you bombed it...

caminante

Postby caminante » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:31 am

anon sequitur wrote:
caminante wrote:
Do you have a Mac or a PC? I just tried this on my Mac, and the VideoDownloadHelper icon doesn't seem to recognize the videos on the Themis website. It works for me on YouTube, though. Can't figure out what's going wrong...

I'm using a Mac with Firefox. If I recall, I had to fiddle with some settings on VDH to get them to download, but I think it was just setting output to .mp4. It definitely worked on my mac with firefox.

I was never able to get VideoDownloadHelper to work with Themis. If anyone else has the same problem, the Chrome add-on called Video Downloader Professional worked for me.

MrBriggs360

Postby MrBriggs360 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:33 am

zot1 wrote:
MrBriggs360 wrote:

That's a passing score, so I wouldn't say you bombed it...[/quote]

I still don't understand what a "safe" score is for the MBE in New York. I don't understand pretty much anything about what I need to do, here, as there's different information all over the place.

lilypad144

Postby lilypad144 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:35 am

MrBriggs360 wrote:
lilypad144 wrote:

Lol. You're really talking to the wrong person. Best I've ever gotten in property was a 50% and the best I've ever gotten for any subject is torts at a 68%. So, please, don't. Haha.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:42 am

MrBriggs360 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
MrBriggs360 wrote:

I still don't understand what a "safe" score is for the MBE in New York. I don't understand pretty much anything about what I need to do, here, as there's different information all over the place.[/quote]

So I don't know about specific jurisdictions, but someone posted a message from Themis on here (or it is possible that I read it on my messages and assumed I read it from here since I'm here so often) where scoring between 60% and 65% was the "sweet spot." But of course I understand your feelings because if I'm not scoring 90%, I'm not winning (no, I have yet to score a 90%).

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:43 am

zot1 wrote:
MrBriggs360 wrote:
lilypad144 wrote:

Yeah, unless you've been getting 90s, that's not bombing it. I'm around 70 with Property, so I might have been a little disappointed with 65, but not too upset about it.

This happened yesterday with Evidence for me. Had been consistently around 73, but ended up with 60 yesterday because I just got frustrated and that affected my performance. Think it happens to us all.

MrBriggs360

Postby MrBriggs360 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:57 am

sd5289 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
MrBriggs360 wrote:
lilypad144 wrote:

Yeah, unless you've been getting 90s, that's not bombing it. I'm around 70 with Property, so I might have been a little disappointed with 65, but not too upset about it.

This happened yesterday with Evidence for me. Had been consistently around 73, but ended up with 60 yesterday because I just got frustrated and that affected my performance. Think it happens to us all.

Yeah, it's all driving me nuts. I think I'm making progress then on the 4th set I keep dropping. For Contracts and Property both I went from 65% to 70% to 75% and then back to 65% on set 4. It makes me feel like I've learned nothing when I score just as poorly on the fourth set as I did on the first.

habz

Postby habz » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:00 pm

I've been finding that the fourth set of practice questions is consistently more difficult then the rest of the questions. I wouldn't worry too much. It seems like they're trying to improve your performance by giving you harder work to do.

milesdavisjd

Postby milesdavisjd » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:09 pm

MrBriggs360 wrote:
sd5289 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
MrBriggs360 wrote:
lilypad144 wrote:

Yeah, it's all driving me nuts. I think I'm making progress then on the 4th set I keep dropping. For Contracts and Property both I went from 65% to 70% to 75% and then back to 65% on set 4. It makes me feel like I've learned nothing when I score just as poorly on the fourth set as I did on the first.

I have rarely gotten 75% (usually on the first set of 17 MBE questions), but right now I'm around 55-65% for each one. I'm focusing on spending more time reviewing my materials, praying it gets better and more things start to stick. I just can't remember anything! (I even forgot my atm pin the other day).

zot1

Postby zot1 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:21 pm

milesdavisjd wrote:
I have rarely gotten 75% (usually on the first set of 17 MBE questions), but right now I'm around 55-65% for each one. I'm focusing on spending more time reviewing my materials, praying it gets better and more things start to stick. I just can't remember anything! (I even forgot my atm pin the other day).

My memory is so saturated too! The other day I was asked for my student ID number and I completely blanked even though I had used it for 3 years... At least I remember some important things like... SOF.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:26 pm

My biggest stressor right now is the fact that I'm moving Sunday. Every time I'm working and look up around my apartment and see many things not in a box yet, I get the overwhelming need to turn off my laptop and get to packing. Then I remind myself that I should finish many tasks before I work on packing...

amorsebu14

Postby amorsebu14 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:41 pm

zot1 wrote:
milesdavisjd wrote:

My memory is so saturated too! The other day I was asked for my student ID number and I completely blanked even though I had used it for 3 years... At least I remember some important things like... SOF.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I'm hovering around 60%, and dream of getting better. When, oh, when will it all "come together" like they promise?

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:55 pm

habz wrote:I've been finding that the fourth set of practice questions is consistently more difficult then the rest of the questions. I wouldn't worry too much. It seems like they're trying to improve your performance by giving you harder work to do.

Yeah my Evidence nose dive was during the 4th set.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:56 pm

milesdavisjd wrote:I have rarely gotten 75% (usually on the first set of 17 MBE questions), but right now I'm around 55-65% for each one. I'm focusing on spending more time reviewing my materials, praying it gets better and more things start to stick. I just can't remember anything! (I even forgot my atm pin the other day).

Oh thank god I'm not the only one. I actually had to have my bank reset it because I could NOT figure it out.

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:13 pm

sd5289 wrote:
milesdavisjd wrote:I have rarely gotten 75% (usually on the first set of 17 MBE questions), but right now I'm around 55-65% for each one. I'm focusing on spending more time reviewing my materials, praying it gets better and more things start to stick. I just can't remember anything! (I even forgot my atm pin the other day).

Oh thank god I'm not the only one. I actually had to have my bank reset it because I could NOT figure it out.

That happened to me a couple of years ago...it scared me though.

habz

Postby habz » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:28 pm

Listening to these lectures makes me wish i was able to put some of my professors on double speed...

annapach

Postby annapach » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:49 pm

definitely have a lady-respect crush on Karlan.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”