Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

zot1

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby zot1 » Tue May 26, 2015 7:57 pm

MarcZero wrote:
sd5289 wrote:Just did the first MBE practice question set (K's). 59% correct.

UGH. Shit. Pass me a drank please.

I've heard from multiple people that shooting for the 50% suggested rate is really what you want to do at this point. Only after multiple reviews, exposure to other wrong questions, and such will you start to get up to and past 70% in the last few weeks. I'm not trying to stress over that now. And yes, there are areas that aren't covered in the lectures in the MBE questions. I'm wrapping up the property lectures tonight and there is quite a bit that isn't covered in the lectures that is in the long outline.

Is 70% our goal? I feel like I read/heard the target score somewhere, but can't remember.

MarcZero

Postby MarcZero » Tue May 26, 2015 8:02 pm

zot1 wrote:Is 70% our goal? I feel like I read/heard the target score somewhere, but can't remember.

I'm not sure if it's different in every state. I know in California you need roughly 65% for a passing score. I think people say to shoot for 70% to be safe. Anything over that is gravy.

My first 2 K MBE sets were in the 50% range. Then my last 34 question set was higher 60s, so you do get better.

I'm trying to remember that this isn't a law school class and I don't need to book it. I just need to get enough points to pass. I don't need to get 80 or 90% to think I'm awesome. I just need to not fail.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:12 pm

MarcZero wrote:
zot1 wrote:Is 70% our goal? I feel like I read/heard the target score somewhere, but can't remember.

I'm not sure if it's different in every state. I know in California you need roughly 65% for a passing score. I think people say to shoot for 70% to be safe. Anything over that is gravy.

My first 2 K MBE sets were in the 50% range. Then my last 34 question set was higher 60s, so you do get better.

I'm trying to remember that this isn't a law school class and I don't need to book it. I just need to get enough points to pass. I don't need to get 80 or 90% to think I'm awesome. I just need to not fail.

That seems about right then.

Yeah, it's weird to be doing something to pass rather than to ace it. But it takes some of the edge off. I'm trying to keep it cool. The people I know who have failed the bar always had at least one thing in common: they all looked overwhelmed.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:37 pm

MarcZero wrote:My first 2 K MBE sets were in the 50% range. Then my last 34 question set was higher 60s, so you do get better.

After doing my first set it said my "goal" range was 50%, so I felt "fine," but it's just weird to be aiming for bare minimum after 3 years of not doing so. I'm assuming it'll get better, especially since several of my missed questions were things I'd never even seen before and I just guessed.

All my friends are in the same boat, so really the point is if you're hitting the 50s range right now, all is not lost! Keep plugging away.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue May 26, 2015 8:51 pm

Checking in. Torts is kind of rough to get through even at 1.5x.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue May 26, 2015 8:58 pm

sd5289 wrote:
MarcZero wrote:My first 2 K MBE sets were in the 50% range. Then my last 34 question set was higher 60s, so you do get better.

After doing my first set it said my "goal" range was 50%, so I felt "fine," but it's just weird to be aiming for bare minimum after 3 years of not doing so. I'm assuming it'll get better, especially since several of my missed questions were things I'd never even seen before and I just guessed.

All my friends are in the same boat, so really the point is if you're hitting the 50s range right now, all is not lost! Keep plugging away.

47 percent the first time. 44 percent the following two times. I'm feeling really screwed.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue May 26, 2015 9:40 pm

sd5289 wrote:
habz wrote:I only watched the beginning lecture for property but I though Kramer was really good. The fact that he's funny helps too :) referencing zombies in the first five minutes was classic

Oh thank god, something to look forward to. I've enjoyed Themis so far, but it started with the two subjects I loathe (K's and Torts).

Yeah the property guy is pretty great. He had me cracking up. (Still hate property though).

sopranorleone

Postby sopranorleone » Wed May 27, 2015 12:49 am

Just chiming in to say I hate this shit already

habz

Postby habz » Wed May 27, 2015 9:02 am

Does anyone know whether the sample answers that they give after you take a practice essay are actually correct answers (i.e. they correctly apply the law) or are they just very good answers?

MarcZero

Postby MarcZero » Wed May 27, 2015 11:44 am

habz wrote:Does anyone know whether the sample answers that they give after you take a practice essay are actually correct answers (i.e. they correctly apply the law) or are they just very good answers?

At least in California, the essay answers Themis gives you are a basic amalgamation of the sample answers given by the state bar of California. Themis uses the exact same questions that have been used in the past.

habz

Postby habz » Wed May 27, 2015 12:00 pm

MarcZero wrote:
habz wrote:Does anyone know whether the sample answers that they give after you take a practice essay are actually correct answers (i.e. they correctly apply the law) or are they just very good answers?

At least in California, the essay answers Themis gives you are a basic amalgamation of the sample answers given by the state bar of California. Themis uses the exact same questions that have been used in the past.

so basically i don't need to be concerned that there is no way a normal person can write that much in 45 minutes? for that matter I'm not convinced anyone knows the material that well

MarcZero

Postby MarcZero » Wed May 27, 2015 12:08 pm

habz wrote:
MarcZero wrote:

so basically i don't need to be concerned that there is no way a normal person can write that much in 45 minutes? for that matter I'm not convinced anyone knows the material that well

Well, that's the part that scares me as I was told that basically yeah, you do need to know the material and rules that well off to spit them out at will like that. I'm guessing you don't need to do it for every rule, but perhaps 65% of the time in order pass? There really isn't great feedback on Themis on this point(or any other bar prep course I'm told after talking with friends who are both in BarBreeze and Kaplan). I'm not expecting myself to learn all of the rules to that level of clarity right now. Now I'm working on the general rules and material and will start the process of memorizing rules like that starting in July perhaps.

teeshtee

Postby teeshtee » Wed May 27, 2015 12:12 pm

Checking in for NY. Agree that GSG was great for Ks and that Torts has been rough with Sherman. He doesn't provide many examples, blatantly reads off of an outline, and, worst of all, is just boring to watch/listen to.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:22 pm

teeshtee wrote:Checking in for NY. Agree that GSG was great for Ks and that Torts has been rough with Sherman. He doesn't provide many examples, blatantly reads off of an outline, and, worst of all, is just boring to watch/listen to.

I have him (Sherman) on 1.5x. And I'm listening, not watching. Him looking everywhere is really distracting.

MarcZero

Postby MarcZero » Wed May 27, 2015 12:33 pm

sd5289 wrote:
teeshtee wrote:Checking in for NY. Agree that GSG was great for Ks and that Torts has been rough with Sherman. He doesn't provide many examples, blatantly reads off of an outline, and, worst of all, is just boring to watch/listen to.

I have him (Sherman) on 1.5x. And I'm listening, not watching. Him looking everywhere is really distracting.

I had to go check him out as I start Torts on Friday and wanted to see what you were talking about. OH MY GOD he looks horrible. Who is he looking at? There is no one in that studio! He seems like the type of professor who has been teaching for so many years that he has his whole lecture down to a routine even telling the same jokes at the same points and reflexively looking around the room. He seems like he would teach the class the same if it was 1 person or 100. I don't think I'll get much value from him. Such a shame after doing Geiss and Kramer first.

habz

Postby habz » Wed May 27, 2015 12:37 pm

MarcZero wrote:
sd5289 wrote:

I had to go check him out as I start Torts on Friday and wanted to see what you were talking about. OH MY GOD he looks horrible. Who is he looking at? There is no one in that studio! He seems like the type of professor who has been teaching for so many years that he has his whole lecture down to a routine even telling the same jokes at the same points and reflexively looking around the room. He seems like he would teach the class the same if it was 1 person or 100. I don't think I'll get much value from him. Such a shame after doing Geiss and Kramer first.

The worst part about him, in my opinion, is how disorganized his lecture is. I as going over my notes last night and he pulls together elements from all over the place that should either be their own topics or should go under different topics

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed May 27, 2015 12:40 pm

He is definitely worse for Themis than he is in an actual class.

teeshtee

Postby teeshtee » Wed May 27, 2015 1:23 pm

I think my favorite Sherman moment so far occurred in Chapter 7 when, as he was talking mid-lecture, he pulled a napkin out of nowhere and wiped it across his face in the most dramatic/intense way imaginable.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Wed May 27, 2015 2:19 pm

teeshtee wrote:I think my favorite Sherman moment so far occurred in Chapter 7 when, as he was talking mid-lecture, he pulled a napkin out of nowhere and wiped it across his face in the most dramatic/intense way imaginable.

Lol, that was especially entertaining on 1.5x speed. I looked up from the handout in time to see that happen.

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Wed May 27, 2015 2:20 pm

Just took my second Ks essay. Man, these are brutal. The facts are always ridiculously ambiguous so I never feel confident in my answer.

MarcZero

Postby MarcZero » Wed May 27, 2015 2:31 pm

kjartan wrote:Just took my second Ks essay. Man, these are brutal. The facts are always ridiculously ambiguous so I never feel confident in my answer.

Well, just remember that everyone is in the same boat. If we wanted easy, we should have gone to law school in Wisconsin.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Wed May 27, 2015 3:59 pm

Ugh my last essay was brutal.

habz

Postby habz » Wed May 27, 2015 4:26 pm

So Rule Against Perpetuities....we meet at last.... [draws revolver, shoots self]

GULCPerson

Postby GULCPerson » Wed May 27, 2015 4:27 pm

Second essay in a row where I was really pleased with the form of my answer, only to find out I got a major substantive issue totally wrong. Not happy with myself.

kjartan

Postby kjartan » Wed May 27, 2015 5:17 pm

Even though I'm doing alright on the MBE, I feel like I'm guessing most of the time.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”