Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

User avatar
somuchbooty
Posts: 4192
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:15 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby somuchbooty » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:57 pm

I'm way behind obviously, but I just wanted to comment on how awful the Constitutional Law guy is. What were they thinking?

zot1
Posts: 2942
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby zot1 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:05 pm

Pleasye wrote:Plan according to assignments instead of percentage points. You all need to let this go.


Yeah I got over it a while back. I think when I did the MBE Milestone 2, it was only like .2% of the day. It didn't really matter though, it had to get done.

My plan is to just do all the assigned stuff of the day. If I'm behind, I do some tasks from the next day. If not, I review earlier subjects.

gr8scOtt!
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:07 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby gr8scOtt! » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:06 pm

texlaw wrote:
henry flower wrote:Just wanted to share my basic strategy for using Themis:

    1. Before I jump into a new topic, I skim the final review outline (if available), just to see what's being covered. If there isn't a final review outline (i.e., if it's a non-MBE subject), I just skim the TOC for the main outline. And when I mean skim, I mean it: I don't spend more than a few minutes here.
    2. Next, I watch a small cluster (2-4) of lecture videos on a related topic (for example, I watched all of the videos on federalism together). So far, I've been able to watch them all at double-speed, filling out and highlighting (if I'm allowed to by the PDF!) the "handout" as I go along.
    3. Then, I read the outline related to what I just read, with the state-specific "distinctions" outline alongside the main outline for MBE subjects. I highlight important points from the lecture and unexpected or unfamiliar things as I read AND (critically) annotate the main outline with the key state-specific distinctions.
    4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until I'm finished with a subject.
    5. After I'm done with the subject, I watch the state-specific distinctions lecture (if applicable) and complete the handout.
    6. Then, I mark all of the outlines complete.
    7. Next, I do the first two sets of MBE practice questions for that subject in "Interactive Mode." I create a word document for each subject called "[Subject] MBEs." Anytime I get a question wrong or (critically) get a question right but have any uncertainty about the rule, I cut and paste the pertinent parts of the Answer/Explanation into the document, using headings that include the Q # and a brief description that refreshes my memory about the question or (for more straightforward "I didn't know that rule" situations) states the topic. Those documents have been my most helpful study tool.
    8. Then, I review the handout and the "[Subject] MBEs" documents.
    9. Next, I go to the third set of MBEs. I do these in "Test Mode," so I don't know what I got wrong until I'm done. However, I still carefully review the answers and add them to the "[Subject] MBEs" document.


It's nothing revolutionary, but it took me a little while to figure this out so I thought I would share. Following the Themis "tasks" and trying to read 40+ pages of a really dense outline at a time with no context was simply not working at all (I just don't have the attention span and the outlines are not well-written) and approaching the state-specific stuff separately just seemed really inefficient. Doing it this way, I not only retain more info, but I can really zoom through the substantive topics as well.


Thanks for sharing! I actually did receive final review outlines for the non-MBE subjects in my Themis inbox as a zip file. You should be receiving them too if you haven't already.

I haven't gotten one of these mysterious zip files, but it would be nice since I started non-MBE subjects today :roll:

User avatar
somuchbooty
Posts: 4192
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:15 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby somuchbooty » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:10 pm

gr8scOtt! wrote:
texlaw wrote:
henry flower wrote:Just wanted to share my basic strategy for using Themis:

    1. Before I jump into a new topic, I skim the final review outline (if available), just to see what's being covered. If there isn't a final review outline (i.e., if it's a non-MBE subject), I just skim the TOC for the main outline. And when I mean skim, I mean it: I don't spend more than a few minutes here.
    2. Next, I watch a small cluster (2-4) of lecture videos on a related topic (for example, I watched all of the videos on federalism together). So far, I've been able to watch them all at double-speed, filling out and highlighting (if I'm allowed to by the PDF!) the "handout" as I go along.
    3. Then, I read the outline related to what I just read, with the state-specific "distinctions" outline alongside the main outline for MBE subjects. I highlight important points from the lecture and unexpected or unfamiliar things as I read AND (critically) annotate the main outline with the key state-specific distinctions.
    4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until I'm finished with a subject.
    5. After I'm done with the subject, I watch the state-specific distinctions lecture (if applicable) and complete the handout.
    6. Then, I mark all of the outlines complete.
    7. Next, I do the first two sets of MBE practice questions for that subject in "Interactive Mode." I create a word document for each subject called "[Subject] MBEs." Anytime I get a question wrong or (critically) get a question right but have any uncertainty about the rule, I cut and paste the pertinent parts of the Answer/Explanation into the document, using headings that include the Q # and a brief description that refreshes my memory about the question or (for more straightforward "I didn't know that rule" situations) states the topic. Those documents have been my most helpful study tool.
    8. Then, I review the handout and the "[Subject] MBEs" documents.
    9. Next, I go to the third set of MBEs. I do these in "Test Mode," so I don't know what I got wrong until I'm done. However, I still carefully review the answers and add them to the "[Subject] MBEs" document.


It's nothing revolutionary, but it took me a little while to figure this out so I thought I would share. Following the Themis "tasks" and trying to read 40+ pages of a really dense outline at a time with no context was simply not working at all (I just don't have the attention span and the outlines are not well-written) and approaching the state-specific stuff separately just seemed really inefficient. Doing it this way, I not only retain more info, but I can really zoom through the substantive topics as well.


Thanks for sharing! I actually did receive final review outlines for the non-MBE subjects in my Themis inbox as a zip file. You should be receiving them too if you haven't already.

I haven't gotten one of these mysterious zip files, but it would be nice since I started non-MBE subjects today :roll:


it's in the message in your inbox on May 18th. Or it might be different for different states?

texlaw
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 10:28 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby texlaw » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:15 pm

Velours wrote:I'm a couple days behind but this week has a brutal schedule for me. Today has 5 sets of 34 questions and a review of Evidence, Civ Pro, Crim/Pro and Con. The rest of the week has 7-9 items each day but next week there's multiple days with only one assignment. I don't get it.


My calendar looked something like this too. About a week ago, June 29-July 3 all showed 1 assignment. But I've been falling further and further behind so now only July 2-3 show one assignment (and that will likely erode soon as well).

texlaw
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 10:28 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby texlaw » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:16 pm

somuchbooty wrote:
gr8scOtt! wrote:
texlaw wrote:
henry flower wrote:Just wanted to share my basic strategy for using Themis:

    1. Before I jump into a new topic, I skim the final review outline (if available), just to see what's being covered. If there isn't a final review outline (i.e., if it's a non-MBE subject), I just skim the TOC for the main outline. And when I mean skim, I mean it: I don't spend more than a few minutes here.
    2. Next, I watch a small cluster (2-4) of lecture videos on a related topic (for example, I watched all of the videos on federalism together). So far, I've been able to watch them all at double-speed, filling out and highlighting (if I'm allowed to by the PDF!) the "handout" as I go along.
    3. Then, I read the outline related to what I just read, with the state-specific "distinctions" outline alongside the main outline for MBE subjects. I highlight important points from the lecture and unexpected or unfamiliar things as I read AND (critically) annotate the main outline with the key state-specific distinctions.
    4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until I'm finished with a subject.
    5. After I'm done with the subject, I watch the state-specific distinctions lecture (if applicable) and complete the handout.
    6. Then, I mark all of the outlines complete.
    7. Next, I do the first two sets of MBE practice questions for that subject in "Interactive Mode." I create a word document for each subject called "[Subject] MBEs." Anytime I get a question wrong or (critically) get a question right but have any uncertainty about the rule, I cut and paste the pertinent parts of the Answer/Explanation into the document, using headings that include the Q # and a brief description that refreshes my memory about the question or (for more straightforward "I didn't know that rule" situations) states the topic. Those documents have been my most helpful study tool.
    8. Then, I review the handout and the "[Subject] MBEs" documents.
    9. Next, I go to the third set of MBEs. I do these in "Test Mode," so I don't know what I got wrong until I'm done. However, I still carefully review the answers and add them to the "[Subject] MBEs" document.


It's nothing revolutionary, but it took me a little while to figure this out so I thought I would share. Following the Themis "tasks" and trying to read 40+ pages of a really dense outline at a time with no context was simply not working at all (I just don't have the attention span and the outlines are not well-written) and approaching the state-specific stuff separately just seemed really inefficient. Doing it this way, I not only retain more info, but I can really zoom through the substantive topics as well.


Thanks for sharing! I actually did receive final review outlines for the non-MBE subjects in my Themis inbox as a zip file. You should be receiving them too if you haven't already.

I haven't gotten one of these mysterious zip files, but it would be nice since I started non-MBE subjects today :roll:


it's in the message in your inbox on May 18th. Or it might be different for different states?


I got mine on June 2nd.

User avatar
Lawbro
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Lawbro » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:23 pm

Does anyone know where these civ pro questions are coming from? The 3rd practice test was filled with pretty difficult questions, many of which seem to be written differently than questions from other areas of law. I was wondering if those were actually from past bar questions.

gr8scOtt!
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:07 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby gr8scOtt! » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:29 pm

texlaw wrote:
somuchbooty wrote:
gr8scOtt! wrote:
texlaw wrote:
henry flower wrote:Just wanted to share my basic strategy for using Themis:

    1. Before I jump into a new topic, I skim the final review outline (if available), just to see what's being covered. If there isn't a final review outline (i.e., if it's a non-MBE subject), I just skim the TOC for the main outline. And when I mean skim, I mean it: I don't spend more than a few minutes here.
    2. Next, I watch a small cluster (2-4) of lecture videos on a related topic (for example, I watched all of the videos on federalism together). So far, I've been able to watch them all at double-speed, filling out and highlighting (if I'm allowed to by the PDF!) the "handout" as I go along.
    3. Then, I read the outline related to what I just read, with the state-specific "distinctions" outline alongside the main outline for MBE subjects. I highlight important points from the lecture and unexpected or unfamiliar things as I read AND (critically) annotate the main outline with the key state-specific distinctions.
    4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until I'm finished with a subject.
    5. After I'm done with the subject, I watch the state-specific distinctions lecture (if applicable) and complete the handout.
    6. Then, I mark all of the outlines complete.
    7. Next, I do the first two sets of MBE practice questions for that subject in "Interactive Mode." I create a word document for each subject called "[Subject] MBEs." Anytime I get a question wrong or (critically) get a question right but have any uncertainty about the rule, I cut and paste the pertinent parts of the Answer/Explanation into the document, using headings that include the Q # and a brief description that refreshes my memory about the question or (for more straightforward "I didn't know that rule" situations) states the topic. Those documents have been my most helpful study tool.
    8. Then, I review the handout and the "[Subject] MBEs" documents.
    9. Next, I go to the third set of MBEs. I do these in "Test Mode," so I don't know what I got wrong until I'm done. However, I still carefully review the answers and add them to the "[Subject] MBEs" document.


It's nothing revolutionary, but it took me a little while to figure this out so I thought I would share. Following the Themis "tasks" and trying to read 40+ pages of a really dense outline at a time with no context was simply not working at all (I just don't have the attention span and the outlines are not well-written) and approaching the state-specific stuff separately just seemed really inefficient. Doing it this way, I not only retain more info, but I can really zoom through the substantive topics as well.


Thanks for sharing! I actually did receive final review outlines for the non-MBE subjects in my Themis inbox as a zip file. You should be receiving them too if you haven't already.

I haven't gotten one of these mysterious zip files, but it would be nice since I started non-MBE subjects today :roll:


it's in the message in your inbox on May 18th. Or it might be different for different states?


I got mine on June 2nd.

Yeah, I've checked every email and every message in my Themis inbox and I've not gotten it.

zot1
Posts: 2942
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby zot1 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:35 pm

Lawbro wrote:Does anyone know where these civ pro questions are coming from? The 3rd practice test was filled with pretty difficult questions, many of which seem to be written differently than questions from other areas of law. I was wondering if those were actually from past bar questions.


Civ pro is on the mbe for the first time this July, I think. So new questions.

BearLaw
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby BearLaw » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:37 pm

Lawbro wrote:Does anyone know where these civ pro questions are coming from? The 3rd practice test was filled with pretty difficult questions, many of which seem to be written differently than questions from other areas of law. I was wondering if those were actually from past bar questions.


Considering Civ Pro has only been on one bar exam so far, I doubt it. Im not even sure whether the questions from February have been released yet. I would assume Themis (and every other prep company) had their professors and analysts take their best guess at what will be asked based on the topics the national board released.

zot1
Posts: 2942
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby zot1 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:37 pm

My internet stopped working... Day off? :lol:

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Pleasye » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:53 pm

BearLaw wrote:
Lawbro wrote:Does anyone know where these civ pro questions are coming from? The 3rd practice test was filled with pretty difficult questions, many of which seem to be written differently than questions from other areas of law. I was wondering if those were actually from past bar questions.


Considering Civ Pro has only been on one bar exam so far, I doubt it. Im not even sure whether the questions from February have been released yet. I would assume Themis (and every other prep company) had their professors and analysts take their best guess at what will be asked based on the topics the national board released.

Yeah, there are only like 4 real released civ pro MBE Qs. All the others are made up by Themis.

User avatar
Lawbro
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Lawbro » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:02 pm

Thanks guys. One can only hope the actual civ pro questions will be easier on the actual bar then... :D

Underoath
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Underoath » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:09 pm

Can someone please send me the Final Outline for Remedies (California). I don't know where to access it at.

Review the Final Review Outline for this subject (accessible via broadcast message available in the Message Center).

but ummm I can't find it!!!!!!

zot1
Posts: 2942
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby zot1 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:15 pm

So my internet is back again.

I just took a corporations essay. Here's what I don't get about Themis: I'm assigned to read the big outline (which I skim because I won't retain all the info), then to watch lectures, then to final review outline, then to take the exam. In the exam, I get a main issue that is not covered by the lectures or the final review outline, so of course I make up an answer. But my point is, if it's important enough to test about it, why not also have it on the lectures or the final review outline?

Underoath
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Underoath » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:17 pm

zot1 wrote:So my internet is back again.

I just took a corporations essay. Here's what I don't get about Themis: I'm assigned to read the big outline (which I skim because I won't retain all the info), then to watch lectures, then to final review outline, then to take the exam. In the exam, I get a main issue that is not covered by the lectures or the final review outline, so of course I make up an answer. But my point is, if it's important enough to test about it, why not also have it on the lectures or the final review outline?


Which is why I don't pay attention to the lectures or the final outline anymore.....I am focusing on the big outline, which is time consuming, but ya.

User avatar
Tripl3Espresso
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 6:58 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Tripl3Espresso » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:41 pm

Underoath wrote:
zot1 wrote:So my internet is back again.

I just took a corporations essay. Here's what I don't get about Themis: I'm assigned to read the big outline (which I skim because I won't retain all the info), then to watch lectures, then to final review outline, then to take the exam. In the exam, I get a main issue that is not covered by the lectures or the final review outline, so of course I make up an answer. But my point is, if it's important enough to test about it, why not also have it on the lectures or the final review outline?


Which is why I don't pay attention to the lectures or the final outline anymore.....I am focusing on the big outline, which is time consuming, but ya.


The lecture for corporations also didn't talk about Insider trading....More reason to read the long outlines and skip the lectures.

Underoath
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Underoath » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:54 pm

Tripl3Espresso wrote:
Underoath wrote:
zot1 wrote:So my internet is back again.

I just took a corporations essay. Here's what I don't get about Themis: I'm assigned to read the big outline (which I skim because I won't retain all the info), then to watch lectures, then to final review outline, then to take the exam. In the exam, I get a main issue that is not covered by the lectures or the final review outline, so of course I make up an answer. But my point is, if it's important enough to test about it, why not also have it on the lectures or the final review outline?


Which is why I don't pay attention to the lectures or the final outline anymore.....I am focusing on the big outline, which is time consuming, but ya.


The lecture for corporations also didn't talk about Insider trading....More reason to read the long outlines and skip the lectures.


Insider Trading is like the best part!! I'm a sucker for crime. ;)

User avatar
kjartan
Posts: 1367
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:49 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby kjartan » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:57 pm

Anyone else think Anidita Dutta is cute?

User avatar
Worker and Parasite
Posts: 360
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Worker and Parasite » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:11 pm

kjartan wrote:Anyone else think Anidita Dutta is cute?


too bad she's unhelpful

User avatar
sd5289
Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby sd5289 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:27 pm

Lawbro wrote:Does anyone know where these civ pro questions are coming from? The 3rd practice test was filled with pretty difficult questions, many of which seem to be written differently than questions from other areas of law. I was wondering if those were actually from past bar questions.


Yeah, I noticed that difference too (just finished it). The 3rd set tested REALLY obscure rules that were never mentioned during the lectures in any way, shape, or form, and I had a hard time finding them in the long outline too. Civ Pro has been one of my better subjects, but that 3rd set was difficult.

It feels like the practice sets are emphasizing subjects they specifically told us weren't going to be tested that much. That 3rd set had a lot of questions on juries and service whereas Erie and jurisdiction barely showed up.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Pleasye » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:28 pm

kjartan wrote:Anyone else think Anidita Dutta is cute?

Ugh no because she is the worst.

Underoath
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Underoath » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:39 pm

Worker and Parasite wrote:
kjartan wrote:Anyone else think Anidita Dutta is cute?


too bad she's unhelpful


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

MrBriggs360
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:28 am

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby MrBriggs360 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:28 pm

Well, I'm actually kind of proud of myself. I plowed through the entire large outlines of Crim Law, Crim Pro, and Evidence, and watched all lectures of each in a span of two days. Now I'm listening to McElroy tell me that this is "a good topic to rack up points," again. 2.6% two days in a row.

TheBeard
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby TheBeard » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:33 pm

I used Themis a few years ago for another state, liked it enough to use it for CA. I had forgotten how hard they try to suppress your graded essay scores. According to my "personal" attorney, I haven't passed a single graded essay. Good shit, Themis. I've passed two bar exams with no problem, but I guess CA grades shit sooooooooo much harder that I'm clearly not going pass. I guess my understanding of minimum competence is different than Themis'.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests