Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Underoath

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Postby Underoath » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:35 pm

Pleasye wrote:Weird, CA state and federal materials (where we have to know both) are all in one outline.

But evidence is in TWO separate books if I'm not mistaken...haven't gotten there yet, but from what I remember.

MrMustache

Postby MrMustache » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:37 pm

I don't know guys, I'm working out more frequently now than I ever have while in law school. I'm finally only a couple of weeks away from getting my pre-law school strength levels back.

1000 lb club, here I come!*
By the end of this year. Probably...maybe.

MrMustache

Postby MrMustache » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:38 pm

Underoath wrote:
Pleasye wrote:Weird, CA state and federal materials (where we have to know both) are all in one outline.

But evidence is in TWO separate books if I'm not mistaken...haven't gotten there yet, but from what I remember.

The outlines in both books are almost exactly the same. The only difference is that the outline in the CA book will also note CA differences. So you'll only need to read the CA outline.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:40 pm

Underoath wrote:

Oh yeah you're right :(. I haven't really needed the big outlines for evidence though (but lol I don't know CA evidence at all)

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:48 pm

Pleasye wrote:
Underoath wrote:

Oh yeah you're right :(. I haven't really needed the big outlines for evidence though (but lol I don't know CA evidence at all)

I'm too scared to not use the big outline...I feel I'm not gonna pass...so at this point...it is what it is.

soj

Postby soj » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:55 pm

today i've been taking extra time to condense the evid outline into my own 4-page outline, kinda how i did for law school. it's the first time i'm doing this for bar study--i think it'll be worth it to get these shitty rules down. relying on themis's long outline + lecture outline + final review hasn't been working for me on the mbe PQs, let alone essays. hopefully i can finish this soon so i can get back to the other things i gotta do today

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:05 pm

soj wrote:today i've been taking extra time to condense the evid outline into my own 4-page outline, kinda how i did for law school. it's the first time i'm doing this for bar study--i think it'll be worth it to get these shitty rules down. relying on themis's long outline + lecture outline + final review hasn't been working for me on the mbe PQs, let alone essays. hopefully i can finish this soon so i can get back to the other things i gotta do today

I agree with you. Do you think you will do it for the other topics? Because using what Themis has isn't helping me either.

Tripl3Espresso

Postby Tripl3Espresso » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:05 pm

MrMustache wrote:I don't know guys, I'm working out more frequently now than I ever have while in law school. I'm finally only a couple of weeks away from getting my pre-law school strength levels back.

Same here, it is much nicer having a set schedule. Wake up at 6 to workout then study all day after that.

adevine39

Postby adevine39 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:24 pm

MrMustache wrote:I don't know guys, I'm working out more frequently now than I ever have while in law school. I'm finally only a couple of weeks away from getting my pre-law school strength levels back.

I'll let you have my membership card, as based on today's lift I'm probably right on the edge and heading south. That being said, after this ordeal is over, I feel like I'm going to have way more time than I know what to do with. Maybe I'll get back to lifting AND take up whittling or something. I'd love to make a whistle.

soj

Postby soj » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:27 pm

Underoath wrote:
soj wrote:today i've been taking extra time to condense the evid outline into my own 4-page outline, kinda how i did for law school. it's the first time i'm doing this for bar study--i think it'll be worth it to get these shitty rules down. relying on themis's long outline + lecture outline + final review hasn't been working for me on the mbe PQs, let alone essays. hopefully i can finish this soon so i can get back to the other things i gotta do today

I agree with you. Do you think you will do it for the other topics? Because using what Themis has isn't helping me either.

maybe. i'm starting w evid because i think it lends itself best to my style of concise outlining (no bullet point more than one line). i just finished it and it's actually just 2 pages. i'll add to it with more nuances, but i'm hoping this will help me start scoring respectably. if it works i might just put off my themis schedule and outline property, crim, and torts, too.

MrBriggs360

Postby MrBriggs360 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:31 pm

soj wrote:
Underoath wrote:

maybe. i'm starting w evid because i think it lends itself best to my style of concise outlining (no bullet point more than one line). i just finished it and it's actually just 2 pages. i'll add to it with more nuances, but i'm hoping this will help me start scoring respectably. if it works i might just put off my themis schedule and outline property, crim, and torts, too.

I have started doing this thing where each time I have an assignment based on a subject, I quickly outline one chapter of it and review the Themis stuff, then start. So the outlines are getting more complete as I go along. I'll devote like 30 minutes to outlining a chapter, then 30 minutes to going over the handout/final outline. So each time I do something for a subject just the act of adding to that outline seems to be increasing my knowledge and making my base more complete.

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:39 pm

soj wrote:
Underoath wrote:

Ok, cool keep me posted because the only topic I am excelling on is criminal law, but it's what I want to do once I'm licensed, so it doesn't count to me.

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:36 pm

Just got a roller tube and a resistance band. Good time for at-home rehab since lifting less

zot1

Postby zot1 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:50 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:
zot1 wrote:Lecture outline has a simple legal rule for larceny by false pretenses. Practice exam is solely on that. I used the simple rule. Model answer as a more complicated rule with like five elements. What gives?

Are we supposed to follow simpler or more complicated statements of the law?

Aren't the model answers state supplied? I'd go straight from the source, bro bro

I didn't know that. Alright, thanks!

zot1

Postby zot1 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:49 pm

Tripl3Espresso wrote:

Same here, it is much nicer having a set schedule. Wake up at 6 to workout then study all day after that.

I can't lift because my gym membership expired recently and I'm moving out of state soon, so no point in renewing.

Instead I've been going on a lot of bike rides. It's been a lot of fun.

teeshtee

Postby teeshtee » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:56 pm

Delusional
Last edited by teeshtee on Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

gaddockteeg

Postby gaddockteeg » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:09 pm

Would anyone be willing to do me a huge favor and send me their completed lecture handout for Contracts and Crim Pro?

Adobe Reader crashed when I had them open and someone they weren't saved.

PLease?

Postby 2014 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:15 pm

MrMustache wrote:
gr8scOtt! wrote:
2014 wrote:
2014 wrote:Sorry if this has been answered, not reading 40 pages of this, but what are y'all going to use to review to memorize elements of shit? The handouts are pretty long to use for efficient review imo but feel free to disagree.

This question still stands - Are people creating little attack outlines or is there some credited commercial ones I should just buy?

gr8scOtt! wrote:wait. you guys got a "free" ipad for signing up with themis??

They just charge like $500 more and call it a "tech package" on the receipt so firms reimburse/pay it.

haha, ok, that makes sense. no firm life for me, so no ipad :P

I know one person with a firm offer who chose Themis over BarBri because of the iPad. I honestly don't get it.

I mean this describes me too. I was unconvinced Barbri was any better and when you considered the tax impact it both cost me more and didn't give me an iPad.

skers

Postby skers » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:51 pm

2014 wrote:
MrMustache wrote:
gr8scOtt! wrote:
2014 wrote:
2014 wrote:Sorry if this has been answered, not reading 40 pages of this, but what are y'all going to use to review to memorize elements of shit? The handouts are pretty long to use for efficient review imo but feel free to disagree.

This question still stands - Are people creating little attack outlines or is there some credited commercial ones I should just buy?

gr8scOtt! wrote:wait. you guys got a "free" ipad for signing up with themis??

They just charge like $500 more and call it a "tech package" on the receipt so firms reimburse/pay it.

haha, ok, that makes sense. no firm life for me, so no ipad :P

I know one person with a firm offer who chose Themis over BarBri because of the iPad. I honestly don't get it.

I mean this describes me too. I was unconvinced Barbri was any better and when you considered the tax impact it both cost me more and didn't give me an iPad.

Yep, same. I direct bill anyway so it doesn't really matter.

collegewriter

Postby collegewriter » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:11 pm

zot1 wrote:
Tripl3Espresso wrote:

I can't lift because my gym membership expired recently and I'm moving out of state soon, so no point in renewing.

Yeah I've been working out way more because after 6 hours of sitting in my room I'm like ok well I guess I should leave the house?

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:26 pm

zot1 wrote:
lacrossebrother wrote:
zot1 wrote:Lecture outline has a simple legal rule for larceny by false pretenses. Practice exam is solely on that. I used the simple rule. Model answer as a more complicated rule with like five elements. What gives?

Are we supposed to follow simpler or more complicated statements of the law?

Aren't the model answers state supplied? I'd go straight from the source, bro bro

I didn't know that. Alright, thanks!

maybe it varies by state?
try googling some phrases from the essay prompt to locate the essay and see if ther'es a state supplied model answer?

collegewriter

Postby collegewriter » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:32 pm

So behind but Crim is taking FOREVER. I wish we could break up the monotony of the outline/lectures but you can't get to the easier stuff until you finish all. Themis assigned me 9 videos and 130 pages to read in one day. NOPE. Slowly falling more and more behind... :(

zot1

Postby zot1 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:43 am

collegewriter wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Tripl3Espresso wrote:

Yeah I've been working out way more because after 6 hours of sitting in my room I'm like ok well I guess I should leave the house?

Dude, so true! All I want to do is be outside. Like all the time. Biking allows me the excuse under the workout pretense.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:47 am

I decided to do a serious self-evaluation today because I truly feel I'm not being proactive enough in understanding my flaws. I think this is partially due to the fact that I keep feeling that as long as I get the "target goal," I'm doing okay.

Anyhow, for essays, my flaw cannot be fixed right this second. My biggest problem comes down to rule statements--how complete and accurate they are. I will be working soon on how to improve memorization.

For MBEs, I noticed I take too little time going through the questions. So I decided to take longer, specially to discard answers that are wrong based on how they're written. This resulted in two consecutive MBE PQs in the mid 70s. It is not amazing, I know, but it is an improvement for me. I will see if this holds true tomorrow during the Milestone Exam.

And an unrelated, but much necessary comment, after I stopped thinking that the Best Evidence Rule was "always the incorrect answer," I nailed all my BER related questions. I actually now think this was a typo, and they meant BER is always the "correct" answer. But who knows?

always_raining

Postby always_raining » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:18 am

I am going crazy with these questions.

[+] Spoiler
On March 1, a mechanic agreed to repair an owner's machine for $5,000, to be paid on completion of the work. On March 15, before the work was completed, the mechanic sent a letter to the owner with a copy to one of the mechanic's creditors, telling the owner to pay the $5,000 to the creditor. The mechanic then completed the work. Which of the following, if true, would best serve the owner as a defense in an action brought against him by the creditor for $5,000?

Answers:

The creditor was incapable of performing the mechanic's work.
Correct Answer: The mechanic had not performed his work in a workmanlike manner.
On March 1, the mechanic had promised the owner that he would not assign the contract.
You Selected: The creditor was not the intended beneficiary of the owner-mechanic contract.

Answer choice B is correct. The creditor is an intended third party beneficiary, and generally has the right to enforce the agreement of the promisee. This only applies if there is a valid contract which is adequately performed by the mechanic to subject the owner to liability. Here, if the mechanic's performance or lack thereof caused a material breach, the creditor is not able to seek performance. Answer choices A and D are incorrect because they are irrelevant. Answer choice C is incorrect because assignment would not affect the issue of payment to the creditor.

Maybe I am misinterpreting what the words "IF TRUE" mean. It's making me get other questions wrong, where I'm apparently supposed to assume the answers are true rather than based on the fact pattern:

[+] Spoiler
On March 1, a landowner and a builder orally agreed that the builder would erect a boathouse on the landowner's lot and dig a channel from the boathouse, across a neighbor's lot, to a lake. The neighbor had already orally agreed with the landowner to permit the digging of the channel across the neighbor's lot. The builder agreed to begin work on the boathouse on March 15, and to complete all the work before June 1. The total price of $10,000 was to be paid by the landowner in three installments: $2,500 on March 15; $2,500 when the boathouse was completed; $5,000 when the builder finished the digging of the channel. Assume that the landowner tendered the $2,500 on March 15, and that the builder refused to accept it or to perform.

In an action by the landowner against the builder for breach of contract, which of the following can the builder successfully use as a defense?

A. The landowner-builder agreement permitting the digging of the channel across the neighbor's lot was not in writing.

B. The landowner-builder agreement was not in writing.

C. The landowner needs an easement to conduct work on the neighbor's property.

D. The neighbor refused to permit access to the builder.

Answer is D. While this seems like an obvious answer, there's no indication from the facts that the neighbor has refused to permit access, and the call of the question doesn't really clarify that we are assuming they are true. Ughhhh.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”