Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
eloise16

New

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by eloise16 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:18 pm

henry flower wrote:What exactly is "insufficient process" as opposed to "insufficient SERVICE of process"? Notice and opportunity to be heard?

Unrelated: is there any way to "stop the clock" for the essay Qs? I would really like to print out the question so I can mark it up, etc. before I start answering. And being able to do so seems especially critical when the essay question involves a PDF "extract" (a statutory supplement, basically, for those whose jurisdictions do not have these annoying things) that must be downloaded AS THE CLOCK COUNTS DOWN. It would be nice to be able to do these under real exam conditions.
I print out all of my essays by copy and pasting them into a different word document where I write out my answer and copy and paste back into the submission box. I also print the question because it helps me to be able to mark up the page -- I think we'll have hard copies of the questions during the actual exam right? Anyway, copy and pasting into a word doc and printing takes me about 3-4 minutes of very valuable essay time, so I ran into the same problem as you. However, at least on my browser (I use Safari), if I switch to a different tab that is non-themis (like gmail or something), the essay clock will pause momentarily. After I copy to a word document and print it out, I go back to the Themis essay tab and resume the timed essay. Hope this helps!

collegewriter

New

Post by collegewriter » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:41 pm

gr8scOtt! wrote:wait. you guys got a "free" ipad for signing up with themis??
Not really. What he means is it's free if your firm is paying for or reimburses you for bar course. It was discounted by $100 through the "tech package."

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:41 pm

2014 wrote:Sorry if this has been answered, not reading 40 pages of this, but what are y'all going to use to review to memorize elements of shit? The handouts are pretty long to use for efficient review imo but feel free to disagree.
This question still stands - Are people creating little attack outlines or is there some credited commercial ones I should just buy?
They just charge like $500 more and call it a "tech package" on the receipt so firms reimburse/pay it.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:42 pm

There's 14 page attack outlines in one of the books

collegewriter

New

Post by collegewriter » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:43 pm

eloise16 wrote:
henry flower wrote:What exactly is "insufficient process" as opposed to "insufficient SERVICE of process"? Notice and opportunity to be heard?

Unrelated: is there any way to "stop the clock" for the essay Qs? I would really like to print out the question so I can mark it up, etc. before I start answering. And being able to do so seems especially critical when the essay question involves a PDF "extract" (a statutory supplement, basically, for those whose jurisdictions do not have these annoying things) that must be downloaded AS THE CLOCK COUNTS DOWN. It would be nice to be able to do these under real exam conditions.
I print out all of my essays by copy and pasting them into a different word document where I write out my answer and copy and paste back into the submission box. I also print the question because it helps me to be able to mark up the page -- I think we'll have hard copies of the questions during the actual exam right? Anyway, copy and pasting into a word doc and printing takes me about 3-4 minutes of very valuable essay time, so I ran into the same problem as you. However, at least on my browser (I use Safari), if I switch to a different tab that is non-themis (like gmail or something), the essay clock will pause momentarily. After I copy to a word document and print it out, I go back to the Themis essay tab and resume the timed essay. Hope this helps!
At least on Safari, if you hit the back button on your browser when you re-open your essay the clock will have reset.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:45 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:There's 14 page attack outlines in one of the books
These are such garbage though. Full of incorrect and half rule statements.

I have leansheets and they are pretty good.

collegewriter

New

Post by collegewriter » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:47 pm

2014 wrote:
2014 wrote:Sorry if this has been answered, not reading 40 pages of this, but what are y'all going to use to review to memorize elements of shit? The handouts are pretty long to use for efficient review imo but feel free to disagree.
This question still stands - Are people creating little attack outlines or is there some credited commercial ones I should just buy?
They just charge like $500 more and call it a "tech package" on the receipt so firms reimburse/pay it.
I plan to use a combo of flashcards with elements on them + the final review outlines. I also look over the long outlines and lectures for things I'm really bad at. (I'm looking at you mortgages).

I know some people advocate for not changing how you study just for the bar but I don't see how you can memorize the elements of everything without flashcards or similar. I was always a make your own outline person in law school but those were useful mostly because you could bring them in with you so I don't know if that will work for the bar, although I suppose making your own flashcards is similar.

There were some excellent attack outlines posted here a while back. The link was to Stanford Law's bar review site. If you can't find it and want it I can see if I saved it.

collegewriter

New

Post by collegewriter » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:48 pm

Pleasye wrote:

Ugh seriously? I haven't even looked yet but the level of inconsistency and care from Themis is starting to really get to me...

gr8scOtt!

Bronze

Post by gr8scOtt! » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:08 pm

2014 wrote:
haha, ok, that makes sense. no firm life for me, so no ipad :P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrMustache

Bronze

Post by MrMustache » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:28 pm

gr8scOtt! wrote:
2014 wrote:
haha, ok, that makes sense. no firm life for me, so no ipad :P
I know one person with a firm offer who chose Themis over BarBri because of the iPad. I honestly don't get it.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:40 pm

Do you think other companies would be significantly better? I had a $X to spend on bar review from a school-sponsored fellowship and ended up going with Themis because it was cheaper and left me enough money to get adaptibar/flash cards/books if I want to. Now can't decide whether or not to pay the extra $350 or whatever for adaptibar. Don't want to waste the fellowship cash, but if I'll get something more out of it, it's worthwhile.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:47 pm

collegewriter wrote:
Pleasye wrote:

Ugh seriously? I haven't even looked yet but the level of inconsistency and care from Themis is starting to really get to me...
That's just bar prep companies. I have friends doing BarBri who have terrible state materials and are paying triple.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:48 pm

My issue with Themis is that i wish I just was doing self study and didn't pay for their materials. I think a combo of barmax MBE q's ($150), Emanuel's strategies book used ($45), the official barebones ncbe outline (free), the restatemeets and ga.code (free on lexis still), scribd outlines (free), and the essays on Georgia's website with answers would be more than good. The fact that you can't do less than all of the Themis sets without spoiling the entire set is absurd and the limited iOS functionality is what really gets me. Other than that, all the material is fine and i would make my own attack outlines anyways. Oh the fact that state distinctions are in a different book is insane. They could probably merge the shit with a simple computer script.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gr8scOtt!

Bronze

Post by gr8scOtt! » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:57 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:Oh the fact that state distinctions are in a different book is insane. They could probably merge the shit with a simple computer script.
This bothers me sooo much. They are already printing up state specific books for each state, it would not be difficult to make one large outline that includes the federal/general material with the state specific material included. I got so tired of flipping between two outlines for civ pro trying to learn dates/deadlines, that I typed up my own chart. Looks something like "Answer: w/i 21 days of service (state w/i 30 days)" Now I ask, how hard would that have been to do in the Themis materials?? :roll:

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:28 pm

Weird, CA state and federal materials (where we have to know both) are all in one outline.

somuchbooty

Gold

Post by somuchbooty » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:35 pm

Pleasye wrote:Weird, CA state and federal materials (where we have to know both) are all in one outline.
Illinois has some of them in one outline and some of them apart. Not sure exactly because I'm way behind.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:37 pm

Lecture outline has a simple legal rule for larceny by false pretenses. Practice exam is solely on that. I used the simple rule. Model answer as a more complicated rule with like five elements. What gives?

Are we supposed to follow simpler or more complicated statements of the law?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:34 pm

zot1 wrote:Lecture outline has a simple legal rule for larceny by false pretenses. Practice exam is solely on that. I used the simple rule. Model answer as a more complicated rule with like five elements. What gives?

Are we supposed to follow simpler or more complicated statements of the law?
Aren't the model answers state supplied? I'd go straight from the source, bro bro

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:39 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:My issue with Themis is that i wish I just was doing self study and didn't pay for their materials. I think a combo of barmax MBE q's ($150), Emanuel's strategies book used ($45), the official barebones ncbe outline (free), the restatemeets and ga.code (free on lexis still), scribd outlines (free), and the essays on Georgia's website with answers would be more than good. The fact that you can't do less than all of the Themis sets without spoiling the entire set is absurd and the limited iOS functionality is what really gets me. Other than that, all the material is fine and i would make my own attack outlines anyways. Oh the fact that state distinctions are in a different book is insane. They could probably merge the shit with a simple computer script.
I wish that I'd self studied too, but I gave in to peer pressure. At this point, I'm basically paying hundreds of dollars to have Themis arrange subjects on a calendar.

soj

Platinum

Removed

Post by soj » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:42 pm

collegewriter

New

Post by collegewriter » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:49 pm

Maybe this is really paranoid but I tried to get answer from them before signing up what exactly went into a prep course and what assignments there were. And they were never straight with me on it because I think that would give people an idea of how easy it would be to self study. I can't self study because no discipline but I'm sure many people could do it for cheap and pass.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adevine39

New

Post by adevine39 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:01 pm

I just finished 2.4% for the day, so I treated myself to a trip to the gym to lift for the first time in two weeks. Not fun. I am going to be such a weakling after this and the MPRE in August.

On the plus side, I did manage to read the conflict of laws outline while on a treadmill, so double duty. :D

somuchbooty

Gold

Post by somuchbooty » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:04 pm

adevine39 wrote:I just finished 2.4% for the day, so I treated myself to a trip to the gym to lift for the first time in two weeks. Not fun. I am going to be such a weakling after this and the MPRE in August.

On the plus side, I did manage to read the conflict of laws outline while on a treadmill, so double duty. :D
2.4% done already? Jesus, I wake up too late.

adevine39

New

Post by adevine39 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:16 pm

somuchbooty wrote:
2.4% done already? Jesus, I wake up too late.
Because I work full time I have to catch up on the weekends. I was up at 5:45am today. I think my wife is worried I'm gonna flame out. She may be right, but it is the only way I am able to complete the assignments.

MrBriggs360

New

Post by MrBriggs360 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:22 pm

adevine39 wrote:I just finished 2.4% for the day, so I treated myself to a trip to the gym to lift for the first time in two weeks. Not fun. I am going to be such a weakling after this and the MPRE in August.

Man do I miss the gym. I'm getting so scrawny.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”