Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kjartan

Gold

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by kjartan » Thu May 28, 2015 12:52 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:
Worker and Parasite wrote:Yeah I'm learning the hard way that the lectures are incredibly basic. I didn't get any of the fucking auction rules in the Contract Lectures for instance.
I feel like that's the point of doing MBE questions though? Now you definitely won't forget the auction rules, even though you missed a Q on the practice exam
This is also why I'm switching to lectures first and then main outline. The main outline has all of the auction rules but it's hard to absorb them when you're just trying to remember the basics of contract law. It makes more sense to build a foundation from the lectures/handouts and then use the main outlines to fill in gaps.

collegewriter

New

Post by collegewriter » Thu May 28, 2015 1:25 pm

Is anyone else finding a lot of ambiguities in the outlines? For instance in the Contracts and Sales outline, the use of "charged" could mean sued or charged money in some instances, or they will use "person" when it's not clear that it's the buyer or the seller and clearly can't be both. I have about 30 questions tabbed after going through outline and lectures. Maybe I'm just being picky but I really feel like these outlines leave a lot to be desired...

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:49 pm

Clark is bad alright. I don't mind how he looks around or his speed. But I do mind the fact that he tries to cover a lot of material per lecture and does not provide a lot of examples.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Thu May 28, 2015 1:50 pm

kjartan wrote:
lacrossebrother wrote:
Worker and Parasite wrote:Yeah I'm learning the hard way that the lectures are incredibly basic. I didn't get any of the fucking auction rules in the Contract Lectures for instance.
I feel like that's the point of doing MBE questions though? Now you definitely won't forget the auction rules, even though you missed a Q on the practice exam
This is also why I'm switching to lectures first and then main outline. The main outline has all of the auction rules but it's hard to absorb them when you're just trying to remember the basics of contract law. It makes more sense to build a foundation from the lectures/handouts and then use the main outlines to fill in gaps.
My new and hopefully final strategy is this:
1. read entire baroutlines.com MBE outline prior to lectures since it's 20ish pages. (1hr)
2. watch lectures at 1.5
3. do mbe questions.
4. consult big outline for confusing areas

GULCPerson

Bronze

Post by GULCPerson » Thu May 28, 2015 1:52 pm

teeshtee wrote: the best explanation I could surmise was that "Suggested Pace" is a static daily goal that, if accomplished each day, will result in you completing 100% of the Themis course within the recommended study schedule leading up to the bar
Makes sense, but man that's way less useful than what I thought it was.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kjartan

Gold

Post by kjartan » Thu May 28, 2015 2:14 pm

Ugh... Bullshit MBE questions testing exceptions to the exceptions.

gr8scOtt!

Bronze

Post by gr8scOtt! » Thu May 28, 2015 2:20 pm

kjartan wrote:Ugh... Bullshit MBE questions testing exceptions to the exceptions.
hearsay? :P

that last contracts essay... :shock:

smalogna

Bronze

Post by smalogna » Thu May 28, 2015 2:29 pm

I may attempt to reach through my screen the next time I reach the end of a tort lecture and the professor says "Good." NO IT'S NOT GOOD. YOU'RE THE POLAR OPPOSITE OF GOOD.

kjartan

Gold

Post by kjartan » Thu May 28, 2015 2:32 pm

gr8scOtt! wrote:
kjartan wrote:Ugh... Bullshit MBE questions testing exceptions to the exceptions.
hearsay? :P

Naw, I got a Ks question testing the second restatement's requirement that a promise to pay a charity be in writing to be enforced by promissory estoppel. It was tricky because it seemed to be testing the exception that charities don't actually have to rely on the promise.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:37 pm

gr8scOtt! wrote:
That was exactly how I felt . . .

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:45 pm

smalogna wrote:I may attempt to reach through my screen the next time I reach the end of a tort lecture and the professor says "Good." NO IT'S NOT GOOD. YOU'RE THE POLAR OPPOSITE OF GOOD.
Yes, it is super annoying. I feel like he was hoping that Themis would edit out that part since that was his way to signal the camera person that he was done. But nope, why would Themis do that...

MarcZero

Bronze

Post by MarcZero » Thu May 28, 2015 3:18 pm

sd5289 wrote: (also the auction stuff is in the "Advanced Sales" lecture, not the Contracts lecture).
California doesn't have an Advanced Sales lecture. :-/

smalogna

Bronze

Post by smalogna » Thu May 28, 2015 3:35 pm

MarcZero wrote:
sd5289 wrote: (also the auction stuff is in the "Advanced Sales" lecture, not the Contracts lecture).
California doesn't have an Advanced Sales lecture. :-/
Maybe CA doesn't test on Art. 2 as substantially as NY does?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu May 28, 2015 3:41 pm

smalogna wrote:I may attempt to reach through my screen the next time I reach the end of a tort lecture and the professor says "Good." NO IT'S NOT GOOD. YOU'RE THE POLAR OPPOSITE OF GOOD.
Omg, HALLELUJAH he did not say "good" or "okay, good" after the Chapter 16 lecture on defamation. I thought my video had cut out because I didn't hear that prior to it ending.

Lilly76

New

Post by Lilly76 » Thu May 28, 2015 3:54 pm

Good luck to everyone.

I passed PA/NJ last summer using only Themis with no other supplements. This time around I'm taking the bar in a UBE state, and I'm using some Themis books I bought on Amazon.

I will be around if anyone has any questions or simply needs moral support.

djh10

New

Post by djh10 » Thu May 28, 2015 4:22 pm

And I was REALLY looking forward to moving onto Torts after the disaster that is Property. It's too bad Geis and Kramer aren't doing all of the subjects!

MarcZero

Bronze

Post by MarcZero » Thu May 28, 2015 5:00 pm

So this is probably a silly question but I've run into this problem more than once so far.

I'm on a mac with Chrome doing the practice essays. When I outline in the answer box while I'm reading through the questions, I like to make sub-points to each topic so I tab and make a list. The problem is that once I do that, I can't go and change the justification back to the far left. Everything afterward stays in the tabbed mode. Anybody else run into this?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Thu May 28, 2015 5:18 pm

MarcZero wrote:So this is probably a silly question but I've run into this problem more than once so far.

I'm on a mac with Chrome doing the practice essays. When I outline in the answer box while I'm reading through the questions, I like to make sub-points to each topic so I tab and make a list. The problem is that once I do that, I can't go and change the justification back to the far left. Everything afterward stays in the tabbed mode. Anybody else run into this?
Yes and I just stopped tabbing in. I hate that tiny little box.

smalogna

Bronze

Post by smalogna » Thu May 28, 2015 6:25 pm

djh10 wrote:
And I was REALLY looking forward to moving onto Torts after the disaster that is Property. It's too bad Geis and Kramer aren't doing all of the subjects!
Which state does property before torts?

kjartan

Gold

Post by kjartan » Thu May 28, 2015 6:28 pm

Pleasye wrote:
MarcZero wrote:So this is probably a silly question but I've run into this problem more than once so far.

Yes and I just stopped tabbing in. I hate that tiny little box.
Yeah, I've been typing my answers in a word processor and then copy-pasting them into the answer box.

sopranorleone

Bronze

Post by sopranorleone » Thu May 28, 2015 6:29 pm

smalogna wrote:
djh10 wrote:
CA

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GULCPerson

Bronze

Post by GULCPerson » Thu May 28, 2015 6:35 pm

sopranorleone wrote:
smalogna wrote:
djh10 wrote:
CA
VA also.

Unrelated: the MBE Workshops seem totally worthless to me. I'm not getting anything out of these that wouldn't be better served by just diving into MBE practice Qs earlier.

sopranorleone

Bronze

Post by sopranorleone » Thu May 28, 2015 6:40 pm

GULCPerson wrote:
sopranorleone wrote:
smalogna wrote:
djh10 wrote:
CA
VA also.

Unrelated: the MBE Workshops seem totally worthless to me. I'm not getting anything out of these that wouldn't be better served by just diving into MBE practice Qs earlier.
Same; I'm skipping the MBE Workshops from now on

Worker and Parasite

Bronze

Post by Worker and Parasite » Thu May 28, 2015 6:41 pm

Anyone send a message about substantive law through the Message Center yet? Wondering what the turn around time is for questions

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu May 28, 2015 6:51 pm

Worker and Parasite wrote:Anyone send a message about substantive law through the Message Center yet? Wondering what the turn around time is for questions
Two full days for me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”