Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
zot1

Gold

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by zot1 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:57 pm

smalogna wrote:
zot1 wrote:Alright, after review the lecture handout slowly and reading the final review outline, SecTrans is not so bad (that's a good name for it, right?). Which confirms that the professor was just over-the-top bad.
My sec trans lectures aren't scheduled until a week from today...

I'm taking NY and MA but still looks like I fell very far behind :cry:
Oh god, don't feel behind. My sectrans lectures were schedule for July 1st. Now that's behind ;)

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:29 pm

zot1 wrote:Alright, after review the lecture handout slowly and reading the final review outline, SecTrans is not so bad (that's a good name for it, right?). Which confirms that the professor was just over-the-top bad.
I shouldn't have spoken before the first practice essay :shock:

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:31 pm

Current NCBE stylistic approaches to writing contracts questions must be pretty fucking bad, if Themis is accurate.

milesdavisjd

New

Post by milesdavisjd » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:43 pm

Am I the ONLY person that's still getting crappy scores for the MBE questions and hasn't moved on to the mixed sets yet? I'm in IL, and about a week 1/2 behind, but any confirmation that I don't suck entirely would be lovely motivation. Also - if you're behind, are you going to do the live MBE and IEE sessions? Wondering if it will kill my confidence or if it's worthwhile to push myself appropriately to work a little harder.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:55 pm

I have done some mixed sets, but am still doing some review sets of just one subject (I completely abandoned directed study mode weeks ago, fuck those percentages). If it makes you feel any better, I got 50% on a civ pro set early yesterday day and wanted to put my first through a wall. I got 68% later the same day on another civ pro set, partly from improvement, but I swear, partly just through unevenness of the question set. Also got something like 5 of the first 10 wrong of a K's set I did this morning and I was seriously wondering what I'd do after I failed the bar, but ended up finishing doing okay overall. It's really disheartening. I feel like with this much effort I should at least only miss 30% of questions (that's a damned D+), but whatever. Just gotta keep at it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IamIn

Bronze

Post by IamIn » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:55 am

smalogna wrote:
kgus22 wrote:
smalogna wrote:NY takers, I highly recommend (yes it's more money spent on bar studying but only $30) lean sheets. They are very comprehensive and accurate with state distinctions and blends them well with MBE stuff. I just did a corps practice essay and crushed it thanks to reviewing the lean sheets after one read through the Themis lecture outline.
oo they have NY specific ones?! i've been dreading making my own power outlines, especially for NY topics. are they just for the MBE topics or for local topics as well?
It's only state specific so they cover all MBE topics and state specific topics. When the rule is a distinction in NY they will only include the NY distinction. Essentially, it blends the MBE law that is unchanged by NY with the NY distinctions and points of law to give you one comprehensive outline. All that is left out is MBE law that has been changed by NY but we have that more than well covered by themis. If you like their page on FBook they give you a coupon code for 20% off too. http://www.leansheets.com
I liked them, but no discount code( am I missing something? :(

smalogna

Bronze

Post by smalogna » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:27 am

IamIn wrote:
smalogna wrote:
kgus22 wrote:
smalogna wrote:NY takers, I highly recommend (yes it's more money spent on bar studying but only $30) lean sheets. They are very comprehensive and accurate with state distinctions and blends them well with MBE stuff. I just did a corps practice essay and crushed it thanks to reviewing the lean sheets after one read through the Themis lecture outline.
oo they have NY specific ones?! i've been dreading making my own power outlines, especially for NY topics. are they just for the MBE topics or for local topics as well?
It's only state specific so they cover all MBE topics and state specific topics. When the rule is a distinction in NY they will only include the NY distinction. Essentially, it blends the MBE law that is unchanged by NY with the NY distinctions and points of law to give you one comprehensive outline. All that is left out is MBE law that has been changed by NY but we have that more than well covered by themis. If you like their page on FBook they give you a coupon code for 20% off too. http://www.leansheets.com
Yeah it's a little hidden, click on the welcome next to the piggy bank on the left side of their FBook wall. (IDK why I just called it a "wall"...oh boy.)

ghandidr

New

Post by ghandidr » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:54 am

sd5289 wrote:If the Secured Transactions guy says "this is an incredibly bar testable area" ONE MORE TIME...

It doesn't help when you're saying it on *everything* you're covering. :|

YASSSS!~ hahaha I usually mark my outlines when a lecturer says highly testable issue, but with this guy, it seems every single issue is "an incredibly bar testable area".

IamIn

Bronze

Post by IamIn » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:00 am

smalogna,

oh thanks! I would have never found it! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lost in translation

New

Post by lost in translation » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:22 am

dunneab wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:
dunneab wrote:Just as a good sense impression:

I am averaging between 65-70% per individual MBE set.
The answer index would indicate that others are picking the correct answers 80% and upwards of the time.
Some people confirm that in their posts here.

Is it too low an average at this stage of the game? Is it a correct impression that people usu get higher?
This is around where I am at. got 73% on the Milestone 2, but just got 65 on a 34mbe mixed set (probably because I forgot K's and prop?). I'm going to try to do 50 questions a day from now on (i have Emmanuel's book and a lot of questions left on Themis).

I still do not feel good about some of the essay topics though.
What's Emmanuel's book? (i'm a foreign applicant... don't have a clue about resources)
As per the essay topics, in the interests of cherrypicking points, I have started underlying words/terms of art in the facts which I explain as a way to get more points and buy myself time to figure it out. It makes me take it step by step.

Also, it think it can also be good to explain the difference between CL and NY if there's time, that way I make sure I don't confuse it when I write.
To whoever was looking for it, I think this is the emanuel book - not sure about the edition - someone correct me please if I'm wrong (I'm an alien too:)
http://www.amazon.com/Strategies-Tactic ... 1454809922

teeshtee

New

Post by teeshtee » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:27 am

just another casual day of of study directed by Themis... http://i.imgur.com/PGga7gX.png

habz

New

Post by habz » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:33 am

IamIn wrote:
smalogna wrote:
kgus22 wrote:
You have to like the leansheets page and after that you click on the welcome tab under APPS to get the discount code.

IamIn

Bronze

Post by IamIn » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:51 am

habz wrote:
IamIn wrote:
smalogna wrote:
kgus22 wrote:
You have to like the leansheets page and after that you click on the welcome tab under APPS to get the discount code.
thank you!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:16 pm

teeshtee wrote:just another casual day of of study directed by Themis... http://i.imgur.com/PGga7gX.png
LOL OMG! I have 9 assignments for today so they don't all fit in one screenshot. Also, although not scheduled, I am reviewing all the subjects when I can. I read Torts yesterday though not assigned; reading Evidence right now though not assigned.

Good luck!

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:36 pm

teeshtee wrote:just another casual day of of study directed by Themis... http://i.imgur.com/PGga7gX.png
LOL

habz

New

Post by habz » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:52 pm

Its really annoying that you can't check off that you've reviewed a topic until you get up to it. I haven't reviewed NY Practice yet and its causing an epic backlog on my to do list

somuchbooty

Gold

Post by somuchbooty » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:56 pm

MBE sets are definitely uneven. Sometimes, they'll have like 10 'GOTCHA' questions in a row. They're really good about breaking your spirit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rgucsb

Bronze

Post by rgucsb » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:58 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:
rgucsb wrote:I relied entirely on themis for the Feb 14 CA bar exam and failed.

I retook Feb 15 using nothing but Adapti Bar and Baressays.com and passed, the exam was one of the hardest ever given 39.5% passage rate.

The key is to memorize the flow and organization of the essays for each subject. I highly rec. using baressays.com and pretty much memorizing all the 80 point essays, specifically how they organize the issues and which issues they decide to focus on.

If you are a terrible mc test taker like I was, use adapti bar. I did about 1500 questions before the exam and was scoring 63% correct. its all about repetition.

Dont fall a sucker to sitting there watching stupid lectures, they will do nothing for you
Thanks for the advice. What school did you go to and what was your class rank? Also what was your lsat?
I went to a t3 in Chicago, I was top 30% and my lsat was 147, yes 147, but I passed one of the hardest bar exams in the hardest state. So anything is possible, good luck

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:06 pm

Have accomplished nothing yet today after last night's World Cup final, and just logged on to Themis to see an epic list of things to do today. Looks like I'll be up late tonight. :shock:

MrBriggs360

New

Post by MrBriggs360 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:19 pm

sd5289 wrote:Have accomplished nothing yet today after last night's World Cup final, and just logged on to Themis to see an epic list of things to do today. Looks like I'll be up late tonight. :shock:
Pretty much the same, here. Got basically 0.0% accomplished this weekend, because I outlined and studied all of Crim Law and Pro. 8 assignments for today.

milesdavisjd

New

Post by milesdavisjd » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:27 pm

Are the MPT Lectures worth the time? I just started one, but I'm thinking this is something I can skip over.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MrBriggs360

New

Post by MrBriggs360 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:39 pm

milesdavisjd wrote:Are the MPT Lectures worth the time? I just started one, but I'm thinking this is something I can skip over.
I watched them. Mildly helpful at best, for me, but I didn't really find the MPT section to be all that difficult if you pace yourself appropriately and read carefully.

Pickled

New

Post by Pickled » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:51 pm

Can somebody please explain the difference between abatement and exoneration of liens in a manner that my 10 year old could understand?

Thanks in advance.

BearLaw

Bronze

Post by BearLaw » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:53 pm

Pickled wrote:Can somebody please explain the difference between abatement and exoneration of liens in a manner that my 10 year old could understand?

Thanks in advance.
Abatement is when there is insufficient funds in an estate to cover all debts/liens, each holder of an interest must take a pro rata share of whatever is available.

Exoneration of liens is when there is money in the residue of an estate, and a piece of real property is transferred in the will, the devisee of the real estate is entitled to have the residue of the estate pay off the mortgage/lien so that they take the property free and clear.

WalnutSurprise

New

Post by WalnutSurprise » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:06 pm

After doing well on the first graded essay and getting some substantive criticism, I have since gotten 60s on each and there has been minimal (at best) feedback from my grader other than "no this is what the sample answer says." This is frustrating because compared to the sample answers I should have scored significantly better on all but one of them. At this point I'm getting kind of discouraged, and I don't see the point in submitting them for this dude to just give me a 60 and paste stuff from the sample answer as "comments." Anyone else having a similar experience with their grader?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”