Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Pleasye

Platinum

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by Pleasye » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:47 pm

zot1 wrote:Anyone else having trouble concentrating?
Yeeesssssss. And I can't fit anything else in my brain and I'm forgetting everything I thought I had learned. I think I peaked in my studying last week and now I'm screwed.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:49 pm

Me too. For the last couple of days I've been pretty confident I'd pass, and that's ruined my ability to panic-study, which I did for about two weeks, which got me to where I was confident I'd pass. But that confidence was only based on my continued panic study... hmm.

Lubberlubber

New

Post by Lubberlubber » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:51 pm

Is anyone else doing very inconsistently on the MBE mixed sets?

I'm literally doing 55, 65, 55, 65, 55 for the last 5. And the specific categories are crazy different too. For example, I usually do well in torts, but today missed all 5 torts questions in a 50 set.

Seriously having doubts about passing at this point...

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:54 pm

Lubberlubber wrote:Is anyone else doing very inconsistently on the MBE mixed sets?
I had a 28% drop going from a 50-question mixed set to milestone 1 about 24 hours later. I just try not to think about it too much, some sets are harder, some days are harder, it'll all even out over 190 questions.

sp1kedrat

New

Post by sp1kedrat » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:07 pm

hey NYers, when themis says ny courts can exercise personal jurisdiction over a non-resident defendant for maintenance issues if "The defendant abandoned the plaintiff in NY" do they mean that the defendant is now in Ny or the plaintiff? It's so unclear and no one is responding

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:09 pm

Pleasye wrote:
Yeeesssssss. And I can't fit anything else in my brain and I'm forgetting everything I thought I had learned. I think I peaked in my studying last week and now I'm screwed.
I'm definitely there. I think I'm also at the point where I just want to go and lay next to a pool and drink.

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:13 pm

sp1kedrat wrote:hey NYers, when themis says ny courts can exercise personal jurisdiction over a non-resident defendant for maintenance issues if "The defendant abandoned the plaintiff in NY" do they mean that the defendant is now in Ny or the plaintiff? It's so unclear and no one is responding
I'm guessing this means that P is in NY because D used to be there but abandoned him/her.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:19 pm

Since I finished the first pass on all of the material, I've had a really hard time trying to "review." I'm just reading outlines over again once every couple of days and doing a couple of practice essays each day. But I don't really have the focus to put in more than 6 hours a day on this stuff.

Is anyone else going to run out of MBE practice before the exam? At my current pace of one mixed set a day I'll run out before the exam.

eloise16

New

Post by eloise16 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:49 pm

anon sequitur wrote:
Lubberlubber wrote:Is anyone else doing very inconsistently on the MBE mixed sets?
I had a 28% drop going from a 50-question mixed set to milestone 1 about 24 hours later. I just try not to think about it too much, some sets are harder, some days are harder, it'll all even out over 190 questions.
Yes! I've had 68%, 65%, 50% ( :cry: ), 60%, 68%, 66% for the last six.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:53 pm

Just spiked a 90% on the last con law question set because, per this pinterest board, I practically wrote the constitution.

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:59 pm

Themis is telling me my overall MBE score is 68%. That's exactly what we need for passing right? :( I was able to get above 70% for the first few mixed MBE sets, but I can't for the life of me now.

Ahyis

New

Post by Ahyis » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:00 pm

Actually, my mixed sets have been fairly constant (and I've now done 12). Started at 62 for a few, hit 64, dropped down to 60 for a few, hit 66, and finally today hit my first 70. Basically, I'm seeing slow improvement.

The funny thing is, the difference between 60 and 70 (depending on the size of the set) is only 5-10 questions. Never had to work this hard just to get an extra few questions right.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:06 pm

Confused7 wrote:Themis is telling me my overall MBE score is 68%. That's exactly what we need for passing right? :( I was able to get above 70% for the first few mixed MBE sets, but I can't for the life of me now.
That's (probably) better than passing in most jurisdictions. Assuming a 15 point scaling bump that would be a 144 scaled which would be above median.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kjartan

Gold

Post by kjartan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:08 pm

I am getting absolutely nailed right now by this Torts MBE Practice Session 5.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:18 pm

Confused7 wrote:Themis is telling me my overall MBE score is 68%. That's exactly what we need for passing right? :( I was able to get above 70% for the first few mixed MBE sets, but I can't for the life of me now.
I only have 65% and I have some subjects still well below 60, so I'm not very happy about that. Something mentioned a 15pt scale bump, but I've seen some exams get scaled by like 4pt :(

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:38 pm

zot1 wrote:
I only have 65% and I have some subjects still well below 60, so I'm not very happy about that. Something mentioned a 15pt scale bump, but I've seen some exams get scaled by like 4pt :(
Hang in there, I feel your pain. How many sets have you done already? If not that many yet,you still tons of time to practice.

BelugaWhale

Bronze

Post by BelugaWhale » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:41 pm

Can someone help me with federal estate tax. Not sure if there is a typo(s) in the themis book.

In 1 section of the book, it says "federal estate tax is a tax imposed by the gov't for decedent's having a gross estate over a certain dollar amount"

But in another section, the book says "if the taxable estate exceeds a threshold exemption amount, the decedent must pay federal estate tax"

In another section, it says "a return must be filed if the gross estate exceeds the exemption amount"

In yet another section, "federal estate tax is due if the taxable estate exceeds the exemption amount"

So I'm totally confused. Which is it? Is it that if your gross estate is higher than the exemption amount you need to FILE for the estate tax, but you only need to PAY if your taxable estate is higher than the exemption?

Say exemption is 5 million. I have a gross estate of 6 million but have 2 million in deductions. So would I be correct in saying I would need to file for the tax but would not have to pay anything because 6-2=4 million is less than the exemption amount?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:41 pm

Confused7 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Hang in there, I feel your pain. How many sets have you done already? If not that many yet,you still tons of time to practice.
I've done too many already... 1373 total questions.

I mean, it's not like I'm in panic mode about it, just not happy. I do plan to practice more for the next two weeks. One and a half, really.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:50 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:Can someone help me with federal estate tax. Not sure if there is a typo(s) in the themis book. . . . So I'm totally confused. Which is it? Is it that if your gross estate is higher than the exemption amount you need to FILE for the estate tax, but you only need to PAY if your taxable estate is higher than the exemption?
Yeah, you got it right, if your gross estate tax is above the threshold you have to file, but you won't have to pay tax unless your taxable estate is above the threshold. In the lecture, the prof made it clear that they do this so they can check out if your deductions are legit.

Confused7

Silver

Post by Confused7 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:54 pm

Just got one of these in an answer explanation "This answer is best arrived at by the process of elimination." :evil:

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:59 pm

zot1 wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
zot1 wrote:

I mean, it's not like I'm in panic mode about it, just not happy. I do plan to practice more for the next two weeks. One and a half, really.
Are you counting the milestone/simulated exams? they don't count those on the MBE total

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BelugaWhale

Bronze

Post by BelugaWhale » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:03 pm

anon sequitur wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:Can someone help me with federal estate tax. Not sure if there is a typo(s) in the themis book. . . . So I'm totally confused. Which is it? Is it that if your gross estate is higher than the exemption amount you need to FILE for the estate tax, but you only need to PAY if your taxable estate is higher than the exemption?
Yeah, you got it right, if your gross estate tax is above the threshold you have to file, but you won't have to pay tax unless your taxable estate is above the threshold. In the lecture, the prof made it clear that they do this so they can check out if your deductions are legit.
Cool, in that case, is the tax on the amount of the taxable estate in excess of the threshold? That is, if threshold is 5million and taxable estate is 6. Is the tax on the whole 6 or just 1 million?

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:13 pm

Wills question - Can anyone explain the difference between omitted/pretermitted child/spouse, if any?

BelugaWhale

Bronze

Post by BelugaWhale » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:29 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:Wills question - Can anyone explain the difference between omitted/pretermitted child/spouse, if any?
There isn't. Though I guess omitted more generally refers to intentional omissions whereas pretermittion statutes are "stale will" doctrines, that is unintentional omissions.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:34 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
zot1 wrote:

Are you counting the milestone/simulated exams? they don't count those on the MBE total
I wasn't. I've done a lot better on those. Thanks for the tip!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”