Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
paulshortys10

Silver

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2015 Exam

Post by paulshortys10 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:03 pm

Velours wrote:
habz wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
Ahyis wrote:
habz wrote:This lecturer explaining the MBE questions is really twisting the knife. "If you got the question wrong because you chose that answer you're an idiot because that answer is so OBVIOUSLY WRONG. You have to be dead not to see that."
My favorite is a quote in one of the lectures where he basically says "Remember, always choose the right answer. Don't choose the wrong answer." THANKS BUDDY.
I cracked up when he said something like "frankly, guys say all kinds of things to get women to have sex with them" or something like that. :lol:
I assume it was about the question where the guy said having sex with him would cure the woman's illness. Is it just me or is it a cop out that Themis basically just uses real cases to make up questions?
Are these lectures worthwhile? I thought they were basically just going over the written explanation for each question.
I don't really see a point in listening to someone tell me why i got an answer wrong when we have the written explanations. Seems like a huge waste of precious time.

habz

New

Post by habz » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:49 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:
Velours wrote:
habz wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
Ahyis wrote:
habz wrote:This lecturer explaining the MBE questions is really twisting the knife. "If you got the question wrong because you chose that answer you're an idiot because that answer is so OBVIOUSLY WRONG. You have to be dead not to see that."
My favorite is a quote in one of the lectures where he basically says "Remember, always choose the right answer. Don't choose the wrong answer." THANKS BUDDY.
I cracked up when he said something like "frankly, guys say all kinds of things to get women to have sex with them" or something like that. :lol:
I assume it was about the question where the guy said having sex with him would cure the woman's illness. Is it just me or is it a cop out that Themis basically just uses real cases to make up questions?
Are these lectures worthwhile? I thought they were basically just going over the written explanation for each question.
I don't really see a point in listening to someone tell me why i got an answer wrong when we have the written explanations. Seems like a huge waste of precious time.
Cuz it makes your percentage go up :)

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:07 pm

Just finished the first half of essay day. Damn.

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:11 pm

habz wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:
Velours wrote:
habz wrote:
Confused7 wrote:
Ahyis wrote:
Cuz it makes your percentage go up :)
lol if I'm likely going to spend a couple hours on my own reviewing this...i think i will have "earned" those percentage points

BelugaWhale

Bronze

Post by BelugaWhale » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:13 pm

Got a federal civ pro question and themis isn't clear about it i think. Could use some help.

If D gives a waiver to P for service of process, so that P doesn't need to formally serve D, then D's time to file an answer to P's complaint is extended to 60 days from 21 days, or 90 days if D is outside the US. Does a waiver also extend time to file a pre-answer motion (12b motions) as well? Or is stuck at 21 still?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:28 pm

Fuck, I feel like I still don't understand large parts of the Themis interface. What's the best way to go over the milestone? Is there any way to just click on the questions I got wrong and see the explanation? Or do I have to print out the whole thing, hunt for what I got wrong, and look at that?

And for the review lecture, how are you supposed to follow along with that if the questions aren't grouped by topic in the review sheet?

zor

Bronze

Post by zor » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:02 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:Fuck, I feel like I still don't understand large parts of the Themis interface. What's the best way to go over the milestone? Is there any way to just click on the questions I got wrong and see the explanation? Or do I have to print out the whole thing, hunt for what I got wrong, and look at that?

And for the review lecture, how are you supposed to follow along with that if the questions aren't grouped by topic in the review sheet?
Okay I finally figured this out. The review lectures have a handout that includes the answer explanation (BUT NOT THE QUESTION UGH WHY). However, after watching one minute of this guy drone on, I said screw it I'll just review the answers myself. To do that, click on "Milestone Exams" on the left, either Milestone AM or PM, then "Review," and "Display Exam."

You have to display the whole exam, not just the ones you got wrong. BUT I generally skim over the ones I got right (checking that I got them right because I knew the rule, or if it was one I just guessed on), so you can easily skip them and save time. No need to actually print everything.

teeshtee

New

Post by teeshtee » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:18 pm

"This one was easy if you had the rule memorized, spotted the issue, and weren't distracted by anything"

Thanks Professor

somuchbooty

Gold

Post by somuchbooty » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:20 pm

Themis' questions really really suck. I really hope the real exam doesn't have all these poorly crafted exam questions. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood, I'm just tired of all these questions where I know the law and the question is terribly worded and then I go back and 13% got the answer right.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

smalogna

Bronze

Post by smalogna » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:51 pm

1.5% complete for watching a guy read answer explanations to me. :lol:

smalogna

Bronze

Post by smalogna » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:53 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:Got a federal civ pro question and themis isn't clear about it i think. Could use some help.

If D gives a waiver to P for service of process, so that P doesn't need to formally serve D, then D's time to file an answer to P's complaint is extended to 60 days from 21 days, or 90 days if D is outside the US. Does a waiver also extend time to file a pre-answer motion (12b motions) as well? Or is stuck at 21 still?
I would assume that it applies to pre-answer motions as well. 60/90 days for their response whether it be answer or motion form.

BelugaWhale

Bronze

Post by BelugaWhale » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:02 pm

smalogna wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:Got a federal civ pro question and themis isn't clear about it i think. Could use some help.

I would assume that it applies to pre-answer motions as well. 60/90 days for their response whether it be answer or motion form.
See, I would think that too, but FRCP 4 says this

(3) Time to Answer After a Waiver. A defendant who, before being served with process, timely returns a waiver need not serve an answer to the complaint until 60 days after the request was sent—or until 90 days after it was sent to the defendant outside any judicial district of the United States.

so it doesn't say anything about motions.

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:07 pm

Seriously, this dude is like the John Madden of Themis. "Identify the relevant law, apply the doctrine, and choose the right answer" Thanks bro.

Hell, he even looks like Madden.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:37 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:Seriously, this dude is like the John Madden of Themis. "Identify the relevant law, apply the doctrine, and choose the right answer" Thanks bro.

Hell, he even looks like Madden.
This is a perfect comparison, so thanks for that.

somuchbooty

Gold

Post by somuchbooty » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:38 pm

Did they ever publish the average results of Milestone Exam # 2? I never got an email on that.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:41 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:
smalogna wrote:

See, I would think that too, but FRCP 4 says this

(3) Time to Answer After a Waiver. A defendant who, before being served with process, timely returns a waiver need not serve an answer to the complaint until 60 days after the request was sent—or until 90 days after it was sent to the defendant outside any judicial district of the United States.

so it doesn't say anything about motions.
Rule 12(b) gives the timing: "A motion asserting any of these defenses must be made before pleading if a responsive pleading is allowed." So if your time to answer is extended, so is your 12(b) time.

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:45 pm

somuchbooty wrote:Did they ever publish the average results of Milestone Exam # 2? I never got an email on that.
You'll see the tentative results on the left side, where it sas milestone exams

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:08 pm

Just finished the milestone but have to get home and input the answers (because why not make us do that manually while we're at it?).

Thoughts are: never want to do that again. Oh. Damnit.

kjartan

Gold

Post by kjartan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:10 pm

I just did the AM session for Milestone 3. Did anyone else think it was really hard? Thought I bombed it, but it ended up being my best Milestone score yet. I have no clue how.

kjartan

Gold

Post by kjartan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:10 pm

sd5289 wrote:Just finished the milestone but have to get home and input the answers (because why not make us do that manually while we're at it?).

Milestone 3?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:31 pm

Wow. A half day of essays and another half of PTs is no joke. I got very tired towards the end of each session and sort of let it go knowing that this didn't count for anything.

I'm still shaky on the pure essay subjects, but definitely did no do all that terrible. Usually got an answer half right, so I just need to get better at knowing those rule statements (don't we all?).

Not looking forward to the MBE simulated tomorrow. I'm wiped out, but still have more assignments left for the day. The real deal is going to suck.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:33 pm

kjartan wrote:
sd5289 wrote:Just finished the milestone but have to get home and input the answers (because why not make us do that manually while we're at it?).

Milestone 3?
Yeah, the MBE simulation. Both the AM and PM session today in the time allotted plus the hour lunch break.

I actually thought the AM session was okay, but the middle of the PM session was hard. Maybe just exhaustion but all of the sudden it seemed like the questions were harder.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:11 pm

I'm 5 minutes into the first Con Law MBE simulation video and this is worthless.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:21 pm

I need some reassurance: how many people here get the answer very close to the model answer on essays?

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:24 pm

zot1 wrote:I need some reassurance: how many people here get the answer very close to the model answer on essays?
I generally know the concepts being tested but don't really know the BLL. And even when I do know the BLL, if it requires a gut call, I usually end up with good analysis but the wrong answer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”